New Owner Questions-JUNE 26th :) Buyer Remorse?

goodanu

Original Poster
Having some buyers remorse here and need a pick me up. We just left Florida and stayed off property for the first time ever. The place we stayed at was a timeshare resort which was given to us. Even though we were guests, they tried to pressure us to buy. We were not interested! We then decided to listen to the DVC sales pitch and just fell to the floor. Our salesman was incredible and the tour just speaks for itself. We bought (SSR) on the premise that we would visit every other year, 150 points. We do realize that the price we paid was overpriced, but what in Disney isn't. We did finance through Disney but we plan to pay this off through other resources to reduce the debt. My children are older now (12 and 16) and we realize we should have done this five years ago. I have no intentions of backing out but just need some reassurances we made the right choice. We also love the fact that the DVC is expanding, Hawaii and Vero look like something we will do in the future even if t means saving a year and borrowing from the next year. Look forward to hearing from other DVC members.

Also the 7 month window out of your home resort, has anyone have any trouble booking out of your home resort in that time period?? I realize peek season will be tough but looking for some feedback here.

Pioneer Hall

If you thought it through and decided that the program will work for you, then take a deep breath and know that you made a good decision. Buyer's remorse is natural when you are parting with so much money, but think about all the vacations you will be enjoying and all the money you will inevitably end up saving at the same time. I joined last year and I am getting great use from my points and know that I will for many years to come.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
If you thought it through and decided that the program will work for you, then take a deep breath and know that you made a good decision. Buyer's remorse is natural when you are parting with so much money, but think about all the vacations you will be enjoying and all the money you will inevitably end up saving at the same time. I joined last year and I am getting great use from my points and know that I will for many years to come.

This. My father bought in when I was 17, the older brother was 19, and the young brother was 14. We use the living tar our of it every year; keep in mind we are in Virginia. We are making an August trip from the 3rd to the 10th or so. While we are there I have every intention to buy into DVC and I am now 21(older than the hills, I know).

jim1051

Member for 12 years no regrets. We bought at HHi thinking us empty nesters would really enjoy it every year. Now we have grandkids who always want to go to Orlando . We have been waitlisted some but almost always got what we wanted, which is BCV or BWV.

Looking back, we should have bought at BCV but HHI was a little less $$$ at the time.

I'm a fanatic about calling the first day at the 7 month window and it usually works out fine. Once we did not get what we wanted but it was tough. We needed 2 2-bedroom villas so we had to rough it at SSR.

awilliams4

If you like SSR and don't have a problem staying there if nothing else is available for your dates at 7 months, you should be OK on the resort choice.

Personally, I bought where I believe the 11 month advantage, gives you an advantage. (BLT, BCV and plan to get Grand Floridian if/when they go on sale)

If you don't intend on using the Tree Houses then generally speaking, owning at SSR does not really give you any advantage except maybe over VB, HHI or Aulani in case there was no availability at WDW for your dates at all.

SSR on the resale market is pretty low so there are some pretty decent arguments against buying SSR direct.

BLT direct, not so much of an argument as the resale prices aren't substantially lower like they are with SSR.

If you financed through Disney, definately pay it off if you have other means. It is tough to give advice encouraging financing a luxury at 10%+ interest.

With that said, we can't stop purchasing DVC points. We have 490 now and it is just not enough. Plan to get another 100-150 Grand Floridian if/when they sell.

No regrets here. (Just stayed at VB last week in a 1 Bedroom for 3 nights for the 1st time. LOVED IT. Now we a planning a VB/BWV split next June and a HHI/BCV split next August. A bit concerned about getting ressies in the summer at the 7 month mark for both VB and HHI though.

I asked my husband, just the other day, how many times he thinks we'd have visited WDW had we not purchased DVC. It was a rhetorical question. I know the answer is, at best, not many times.

As I always tell those who ask about DVC, life can get in the way of vacation. A vacation is a luxury, but one that provides priceless memories. Over the years, school tuition, car repairs and needs, home repairs, braces, medical bills, and many other expenses can keep you from having a family vacation.

Thanks to DVC, we knew that we had a room waiting for us in Florida and a quality family experience to look forward to each summer. That was the push that got us to WDW each year.

There may be those who would say that, with careful planning, we'd still have a vacation. I don't think so. Before DVC, we had gone nowhere for years while we kept ahead of our bills and budget. Since joining DVC, we've been able to give our daughters the magic of Disney. It's been worth every penny.

dizzney

I asked my husband, just the other day, how many times he thinks we'd have visited WDW had we not purchased DVC. It was a rhetorical question. I know the answer is, at best, not many times.

As I always tell those who ask about DVC, life can get in the way of vacation. A vacation is a luxury, but one that provides priceless memories. Over the years, school tuition, car repairs and needs, home repairs, braces, medical bills, and many other expenses can keep you from having a family vacation.

Thanks to DVC, we knew that we had a room waiting for us in Florida and a quality family experience to look forward to each summer. That was the push that got us to WDW each year.

There may be those who would say that, with careful planning, we'd still have a vacation. I don't think so. Before DVC, we had gone nowhere for years while we kept ahead of our bills and budget. Since joining DVC, we've been able to give our daughters the magic of Disney. It's been worth every penny.

I so agreee, we would never have been to WDW as much as we have been or had as many wonderful experiences without DVC, and we've brought family a number of times and shared the fun

This August we have up to 14 people at one time down there, all at the BWV on our DVC points, its wonderful.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member

How very nicely put. :wave:

becanya

No buyer's remorse! You will save so much money on your disney vacations now. Actually though, Hilton Head can be a bit difficult to get into if it isn't your home resort, and BLT as well. Otherwise you should be fine. In our first year as members we have already done HHI (twice), VWL, and BWV. We are loving our membership, and we're even on the waitlist for HHI points now.

GrimGhost

For what it's worth, I bought in 2000 and have added on 7 times until I now have 715 points. I always tell people I wish I would have bought at when I first started looking into it in 1995 or so. If you enjoy "Disney" and go regularly, you will likely not regret it. I have recently discovered DVC at Hilton Head and I cannot tell you how much I love it! I have the luxury of being close enough in Atlanta to go regularly.

I so agreee, we would never have been to WDW as much as we have been or had as many wonderful experiences without DVC, and we've brought family a number of times and shared the fun

This August we have up to 14 people at one time down there, all at the BWV on our DVC points, its wonderful.

We'll be at the BWV in August as well. Race you there!

PS to Tiggerish: Thanks for the nice words.:wave:

fredtom

You'll only wish you had done it sooner. I hope you have a magical membership.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

dixiegirl

Having some buyers remorse here and need a pick me up. We just left Florida and stayed off property for the first time ever. The place we stayed at was a timeshare resort which was given to us. Even though we were guests, they tried to pressure us to buy. We were not interested! We then decided to listen to the DVC sales pitch and just fell to the floor. Our salesman was incredible and the tour just speaks for itself. We bought (SSR) on the premise that we would visit every other year, 150 points. We do realize that the price we paid was overpriced, but what in Disney isn't. We did finance through Disney but we plan to pay this off through other resources to reduce the debt. My children are older now (12 and 16) and we realize we should have done this five years ago. I have no intentions of backing out but just need some reassurances we made the right choice. We also love the fact that the DVC is expanding, Hawaii and Vero look like something we will do in the future even if t means saving a year and borrowing from the next year. Look forward to hearing from other DVC members.

Also the 7 month window out of your home resort, has anyone have any trouble booking out of your home resort in that time period?? I realize peek season will be tough but looking for some feedback here.

Can i just say Welcome Home First of all!!!
We went to Disney for our honeymoon 15yrs ago, Thought about DVC then, but we just had a house built, newly married and well I was just too scared to do it!(ofcourse not the hubby)
so we waited, and went to Disney every year since 96 sometimes twice......with our two girls.
Finally in 06 hubby and I went for a tour of SSR and well after the guide told us that we could have bought it twice with the amount we spent over the 10yrs prior...Yeah we bought into it!
I just wish we did it sooner! We have never had a problem with getting into our home resort, other resorts we might have had a waitlist if any but got in, We really can't complain....And gotta say I love SSR!

Stayed only at POR previously and loved it , so moving to SSR I felt like I was cheating, but have to say we went on a short trip this past jan and stayed back at POR. While it was nice , I'm spoiled now!!! I love the room at SSR, and yes you don't spend a whole lotta of time there, but I love it!
Now our family of four is going back this year with our nephew and wife , they have never stayed there but looked into in in 06 with us, but they were newly married like us 10yrs prior
We're able to get a two bedroom villa with our points and its costing them not much at all..I love the fact that we can help them out and do that! i just think once they see it they'll feel spoiled as well! (well I hope)
Ok, so needless to say I don't think you'll be sorry.....only sorry you did'nt do it sooner!
For my hubby and I and our girls, its always a definate Vacation....Every year to Disney as a family!

dixiegirl

See we(all the WDWnagic peeps that is) as the "real People" of DVC members should be on that freakin DVC infomercial!!! Not those fake people they have on it!!!!!

can I just say I can"t wait to be back home at SSR in 41 more days!!!!!

God I am so ready!

goodanu

Original Poster
Thanks to all that posted. The info was very helpful. We closed the deal last week and are proud owners of 150 points per year. We are very excited to book our first trip using our DVC points. I will book SSR at 11 months and try to move to AKL or BWV at 7 months.

spectromom

We always go during the summer peak season and I have never stayed at our home resort once. It has never been an issue getting the dates we wanted!!:) As far as buyers remorse, my husband and I debate this topic all the time. I feel that if it were not for the points we would not go to Disney ever year. Maybe we could go but not for the length of time we usually do. I think you made a good choice.

JohnnyDollaz89

I might be a DVC member soon!!!! took the tour of the areas yesterday on my last day in WDW and i think the guy did alot of convincing to my dad to open one up :), we have till Monday at Midnight to call him and make it definite since we couldnt yesterday since we waited till 2 hours before we had to catch the ME to go home so he gave us a 3 day window to think it over and call him back, the guy was really nice and helpful and i hope my dad will open one

cameronmouse

I might be a DVC member soon!!!! took the tour of the areas yesterday on my last day in WDW and i think the guy did alot of convincing to my dad to open one up :), we have till Monday at Midnight to call him and make it definite since we couldnt yesterday since we waited till 2 hours before we had to catch the ME to go home so he gave us a 3 day window to think it over and call him back, the guy was really nice and helpful and i hope my dad will open one

I see you're from long island, I am as well. If you guys still arent 100% convinced you can always hop over to the Roosevelt field mall and visit the doorway to dreams. We just recently went in there and we are pretty much set to go now. Do you mind me asking if they offered you guys any incentives down in the world to join? if you would rather pm me that works out good too

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom