New Nikon D4s - ISO up to 409,600

fractal

Original Poster
Holy crap! Now you can take a picture of your black cat at midnight in a dark closet!

The new EXPEED 4 image-processing engine, a new Nikon FX-format CMOS image sensor, and an effective pixel count of 16.2-million pixels enable capture of images that exhibit stunning sharpness, enhanced depth, and natural skin tones. A range of standard sensitivities from ISO 100 to ISO 25600 achieves images exhibiting sharper edges and smoother, more beautiful colors. The D4S also supports extended sensitivities as low as the equivalent of ISO 50 and as high as the equivalent of ISO 409600. What's more, the accuracy of auto white balance has been increased for clear color reproduction, even with shooting under difficult artificial lighting.

http://www.nikon.com/news/2014/0225_dslr_01.htm

ddbowdoin

Holy crap! Now you can take a picture of your black cat at midnight in a dark closet!

The new EXPEED 4 image-processing engine, a new Nikon FX-format CMOS image sensor, and an effective pixel count of 16.2-million pixels enable capture of images that exhibit stunning sharpness, enhanced depth, and natural skin tones. A range of standard sensitivities from ISO 100 to ISO 25600 achieves images exhibiting sharper edges and smoother, more beautiful colors. The D4S also supports extended sensitivities as low as the equivalent of ISO 50 and as high as the equivalent of ISO 409600. What's more, the accuracy of auto white balance has been increased for clear color reproduction, even with shooting under difficult artificial lighting.
http://www.nikon.com/news/2014/0225_dslr_01.htm

At this point I would go ahead and schedule to have your kidney removed for sale in order to finance this purchase! lol

NowInc

Its nice and all but...and this is coming from a Nikon fan...is it REALLY worth the extra $500 over the D4? Yeah it does some awesome stuff, but I really expected more. I have noticed that from the "big 2", the "upgrades" have been more frequent and less impressive. I don't know if its because the technology is "peaking", but at this point I have been advising people to update their camera bodies less often (was every 3 or 4 years, now its "wait until it dies"). The market is getting over saturated with too many different models (D3100, D3200, D3300, D5100, D5200, D5300 all on sale next to each other on the nikon front, and the T2i, T3i, T4i etc on the canon), its getting a bit ridiculous.

NowInc

So thats why there has been an influx of D4's for sale on Fredmiranda. lol

Yeah. Pretty much they are "discontinuing" the D4, and they announced the D4s yesterday-ish. Those who can AFFORD a D4s are of course going to sell the D4 to do the slight upgrade.

whoiscliffwang

Must be nice. I was hurting after I bought the D800. I can't imagine dropping that kind of cash on a D4s, especially since I don't use it to bring in a paycheck.

I was expecting them to come out with a D810 or D800s, just to me off. lol. Thankfully they haven't... yet.

ddbowdoin

Must be nice. I was hurting after I bought the D800. I can't imagine dropping that kind of cash on a D4s, especially since I don't use it to bring in a paycheck.

I was expecting them to come out with a D810 or D800s, just to me off. lol. Thankfully they haven't... yet.

The thing that kept me, and continues to keep me, from the D800 is my home computer set up. The file size will push me to expand my ram and storage and frankly I have no interest in that.

NowInc

The D800 is actually HUGE in the effects field. Almost every studio I know has one to shoot reference or textures due to its amazing resolution. I expect an update to it next year using the new expeed. I myself want to jump to full frame, but am holding off until a newer D800 (I would go D610 but as I already shoot with the d7100, the upgrade isn't THAT big) so that I can spend more time investing in it.

ddbowdoin

The D800 is actually HUGE in the effects field. Almost every studio I know has one to shoot reference or textures due to its amazing resolution. I expect an update to it next year using the new expeed. I myself want to jump to full frame, but am holding off until a newer D800 (I would go D610 but as I already shoot with the d7100, the upgrade isn't THAT big) so that I can spend more time investing in it.

I'd go glass first... honestly, I sold off my D700 a while back. FF isn't all it's cracked up to be, at the end of the day its just 35mm equivalent which is "small format". Unless you're printing large or always shooting in low light (such as events and such) the performance of a FF sensor doesn't justify the cost between that and say a 7100.

ddbowdoin

I'd go glass first... honestly, I sold off my D700 a while back. FF isn't all it's cracked up to be, at the end of the day its just 35mm equivalent which is "small format". Unless you're printing large or always shooting in low light (such as events and such) the performance of a FF sensor doesn't justify the cost between that and say a 7100.
I should preface though that my opinion on FF sensors was affected due to my experience with medium format film... which made me realize the resolution on FF sensors isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

whoiscliffwang

If I had the chance to do it over, I would have bought glass first as well. Buy once Cry once.

I was going to go the Trinity route with 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8. But I decided to go with the 16-35 f/4 for the wide, and the 24-70 f/2.8.

My next lens is going to be the 70-200 f/2.8 vrII, but it will take some time to save up. I also have the 70-300 VR to hold me over until that purchase. Going back to the "buy once cry once", I bought the 70-300 VR when shooting my d7000. I REALLY should have just saved that 580 bucks and put it towards the 70-200 f/2.8.

stuart

Lottery win would be handy right about now. I was using my D7100 the other night, and having to push it a bit...

None of these have been edited, noise reduction just made them look worse. I've direct linked from my Smugmug site, so appear in a pretty big size so noise is even more apparent. The first photo got used on front page of local paper, never sent in the other two of them in the boat.

DSC_4658-X3.jpg

1/13, F2.8, 200mm, ISO 5000, exposure +1, handheld. Sky was nearly black at this point

DSC_4755-X3.jpg

1/25, f2.8, 200mm, ISO 25,600 Exposure +2, handheld

DSC_4758-X3.jpg

1/25, f2.8, 200mm, ISO 25,600 Exposure +3, handheld

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom