New Member with big issue

ThemeparkKev

Original Poster
Hi, I am new here and my first ever forum post!
I have just returned home to UK after what has been a memorable 2 weeks in Orlando on a 1st visit with my family.
Sadly not all memories will be cherished!
I unfortunately ended up being rushed to hospital with a 2 1/2 " down to the bone laceration to the top of my foot and ended up having 11 stitches and a very uncomfortable hot last 3 days of our holiday not being able to get it wet in our planned final water park days!

The cause and I understand this is a very touchy subject - a mobility scooter !
I was stood still, with my children posing for a photo in front of the central fountain at Epcot when I was hit from behind by an elderly Chinese lady, the front metal bumper sliced the top of my foot open. During the ensuing pain, blood and panic the driver road off into the crowd ( she has now been traced by Disney security)

I have issue with Disney over several counts with regard there Mobility scooter policies.
1. they are uninsured for personal liability
2. operators do not get training
3. the ratio of scooters to pedestrian is dangerously high
4. no segregation in places where it could be beneficial
5. scooters are poorly designed to be among high pedestrian areas and would benefit from rubber bumpers and not steel bars with sharp bladed ends at foot level.

If anyone has had similar accident that can help it would be very much appreciated to hear from you.
My main concern is to reduce the risk of this or worse happening to anybody else ( I'm just so glad it was me and not my children or any one else's for that matter)

I would like to add the Disney staff that were on the seen were fantastic and cared for my family during the ordeal.

Thanks
Kev

MOXOMUMD

Howdy! I hope you feel better but posting this here will get you nowhere and these "touchy subject" threads usually turn to arguments and are locked. No one here has the power to change any policies on it.

mousehockey37

A thread like this just got locked. Obviously since you are new you didn't know. Sorry about what happened but this thread will probably quickly be shut down.

I would call or email Disney directly about your issue.

21stamps

I think, when dealing with Disney on this, or attempting to have "change" implemented, that it is important to remember personal responsibility and liability of the place you are visiting.

If someone steels your handbag, wallet, ball cap, stuffed animal, etc then it is not the responsibility of said place. If someone walking suddenly stops (my biggest pet peeve) and you bump into them and fall down, sprain an ankle, drop your soda etc, it is again- not the responsibility of the facility you are at.
If a scooter runs over your foot- , not the responsibility of anyone else besides the person who ran over your foot.

It stinks, and I'm sorry it happened to you. But you can't hold Disney responsible for every action of their guests. It's just an unfortunate situation.

If a sign had broke, and suddenly a piece of metal fell to the ground, causing you to trip over it and slice your foot- this is the responsibility of the establishment.

ThemeparkKev

Original Poster
Hi Thanks for the honest appraisal.
So to all those that seem to accept that incidents like mine shold be accepted and get over it approach. Obviously living in a dream land with rose covered specticle, unicorns and Mickey mouse as president or something.
Its obvoiusly the pedestrians fault for being stood still looking at a map of Epcot with his family to his left I should have known not to have stood on a pedestrian path and why didn't I have my rear facing mirows on for that matter. Oh and my fault for not wearing safetey boots aswell. enough Joking.
For those that actually read my article yes it is a sensitive article and since blogging or what ever its called I have been diagnosed with acute nerve damage and have been suffering sharp pains , pins and needles and ice cold toes.
Had you read my blog thing you may have noticed I am not after a kings ransom and was not holding Disney to blame for the thoughtless inconciderate ECV operator.
What I am concerned with is actually trying to mitigate any other poor person / child from having ther foot sliced open like a tin of sardines or worse.
To those that have said get over it - just think again ; what if it was a loved one that had their foot opened up.

What I would like to achieve is an aknowledgement from the company that runs the Parks (Disney), the company that hires these ECV's on behalf of Disney ( Scooter Bug) to wake up and understand: these things can and do harm. But maybe a few changes could reduce and assist anyone that does have to go through the pain that I have had to:
1.This Design of ECV vehicle is dangerous around pedestrians with a few simple modifications could be made a lot safer ( take the dam bull bar off and replace it with a rubber system _ its not rocket science!)
2. Provide suitable training to the ECV operator before letting them loose to prowl the parks
3. provide basic personal liabilty insurance within the hire package.

So for anyone interested , Disney have forwarded the details of their approved ECV hire cmpany that operate on their behalf, refute any liability what so ever and will not provide details of the kind person that provided me with such a long lasting momento of our dream family holiday.
Oh and i'm now £250 out of pocket for insurance excess charges (thank you insurance company at least you paid the $1500 Hospital Charge)

Thank you for your audience, wishing you a dreamy Orlando experience hopefully without the need for morphine injection to numb the pain!!!

Attachments

• 20160818_125501.jpg
    20160818_125501.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20160818_142235.jpg
    20160818_142235.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20160818_163644.jpg
    20160818_163644.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 6

ThemeparkKev

Original Poster
I have no reason to doubt your account, but just wondering how the "top of your foot" (front) was sliced open if you were hit from behind ?

But you have doubted my account? Lets say I was hit from behind between 4 and 5 oclock is my guess. There fore the front bull bar went straight through the bridge of my right foot before knocking me to the ground. I posted a pic of the bumper bar that did the damage.
Surprise surprise I have had no reply from my email form Scooter bug company ! No one seems to give a dam, I can't quite believe the lack of care from all involved.
I have been in contact with an American Etorny who has raised interest and is asking for further details not sure if I want to go down this route though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom