New HitchHiking Ghosts Coming to WDW

mrsdanalind

Update the hitch hiking ghosts

1st post = :rolleyes:
I think that with all the new technology the updates are due, and I would enjoy being able to interact,and watching others interact in the reflecive surface of the mirror. It would be fun to see.
Mrs Dana Lind:sohappy:

Bairstow

An interesting read: http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2010/04/hitchhikers-in-mirror.html
2862273848_ce4af330f7_bHHGs.jpg

T-1MILLION

They're doing it so that they can eventually sell on-ride pictures of you with the hitchhiking ghosts. I'm only guessing, but there must be some profitable reason they're updating HM when, as you said, any number of MK rides need some updating.

This is likely it exactly. Looking back to the Space Mountain refurb for reference as well. Many things were broken that needed fixing and they did do a good job repainting and fixing it up (although really, it needed it so how much praise should one give?) the biggest difference is the fact that you can buy an onride photo.

You don't see plussing for the sake of plussing much anymore.

T-1MILLION

Didn't they just significantly plus Haunted Mansion a few years ago?

Yes, four years ago after nearly a decade of neglect. It was more refurbishing what needed to be fixed (such as some things going to digital) than anything else. We just got a few benefits out of it. It was a refurb.

I expect a park to keep things clean and up to date for operations. Did you not ride the ride shortly prior to that? It was in 'painful' shape.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This is likely it exactly. Looking back to the Space Mountain refurb for reference as well. Many things were broken that needed fixing and they did do a good job repainting and fixing it up (although really, it needed it so how much praise should one give?) the biggest difference is the fact that you can buy an onride photo.

You don't see plussing for the sake of plussing much anymore.

All plussing is done with for the sake of increasing profits. It's just a matter of whether the plan is indirect (happier guests = more profitable guests) or direct (we can sell people something that we couldn't sell them before). Either way, if the attraction gets better because of it, it's OK with me.

T-1MILLION

All plussing is done with for the sake of increasing profits. It's just a matter of whether the plan is indirect (happier guests = more profitable guests) or direct (we can sell people something that we couldn't sell them before). Either way, if the attraction gets better because of it, it's OK with me.

That is a better way of putting it but semantics. I would much rather get a better product out of it than being offered a product after the ride.
I do hope your point is valid with this example though. Having more animated figures in the pepper's ghost effect has some awesome potential.

I thought the exact same thing. While any improvements or upgrades to HM are more than welcome, there are SO MANY areas of the MK that need help, as you mentioned. It's odd that they are funneling so much money toward HM when other attractions clearly need it desperately.

Agreed. But this leaves me optimistic. Hopefully, as more rides unndergo the nextgen treatment, we'll see many more updated effects in many more places (POTC, BTMR, JC, etc.). As iI've heard these rides are the next slated for nextgen, I have nothing but hope for future announcements.:wave:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Greetings all, I have been coming here for quite some time now and finally decided to become a member and contribute to the site, Now for the goodies,

Coming soon to WDW Mansion, there will be new Hitch Hiking Ghosts, The new ghosts are part of the Next Gen project so exact description is still currently not available, however during the change over there will be no ride interruption, the are going to scrim over the current ghosts and use a temporary Video Projection while the change-over is under way. Im a big fan of the mansion and am not at all sure how I feel about this change.

I would love to hear the feedback though.... PS they are still working on the Hat Pirate :ROFLOL: Hopefully he will have his hats back soon

I must admit, I dont think this is true. But if it is, and if Disney does do the "temporary" projection screens, you might as well just say the projection screens will last forever as Disney tends to get lazy with those kind of things. Such as the refurbishment of the Country Bears in 2009 as the only thing they basically did was make it worse by placing the speakers in the wrong areas.

cwolnowski

I guess I wouldn't be all that surprised if they tried to put in newer, more technologically advanced audio-animatronic hitchhiking ghosts. As much as I don't like to see my favorite attractions touched all that much, I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the updates to the "stretching room", as well as to the Attic part of the ride that were made a few years ago. I was VERY apprehensive they were going to do construction on the Haunted Mansion but I have to give Disney an A+ on those upgrades. So, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they keep their streak going and stick with the same ghosts but with newer, more advanced and upgraded robots.

Thrill Seeker

I rode mansion today.The hitchhiking ghosts are covered by a black curtain and a screen with them projected on it. The scene where they are in your vehicle is replaced with a large screen and the hitchhiking ghosts projected onto it to appear to be flying. You don't see yourself, but the ghost does follow your vehicle.

I've been told this is only temporary until the new version is complete, but it makes me optimistic. This could turn out to be an amazing new addition to an already amazing ride.

Also, in the exit hallway there is a wall that is covered by a construction wall. I wonder if this is where the photo viewing area is going to be. Hmm...

skimbob

I hope that one day they will do The Nightmare Before Christmas since it is a great addition from Halloween through to the new year at DL.

HM is one of my top two favorites and the graveyard and house I really like a lot in Florida. I hope the changes will make the ride better without changing the old ride we know and love. I will see it while I am there next week.

disnyfan89

Also, in the exit hallway there is a wall that is covered by a construction wall. I wonder if this is where the photo viewing area is going to be. Hmm...

That I believe will be the new exit for guest in wheelchairs and ECVs. They are adding a place for guest in wheelchairs to transfer into a doombuggie without having to stop the ride. This will be like the loading station at TSM where the vehicle will have a separate loading station. They are adding this in the turn between unload and load. Now the wheelchair guests will be able to enter the mansion and go through the stretch rooms before needing to get out of their chairs.

This is one of the reasons the Hitchhiking ghost are covered. Not sure the specifics but I know construction some how interfered with the two show scenes.

Rob562

It just makes me so angry that they would even thouch this scene. It was cool, unique, and effective the way it was and what do they do? Put in yet more screens! I am so sick of everything becoming screens. Of all the things that need work in WDW, this is what they choose to bother with. I just don't understand it. And I never believe this "temporary" stuff. Just... ugh. :hurl:

If they do turn out to be temporary for 6-8 weeks as the OP stated, will you come back here and apologize to him?

IT'S TEMPORARY PEOPLE!!!!!!

-Rob

Crazy Harry

It just makes me so angry that they would even thouch this scene. It was cool, unique, and effective the way it was and what do they do? Put in yet more screens! I am so sick of everything becoming screens. Of all the things that need work in WDW, this is what they choose to bother with. I just don't understand it. And I never believe this "temporary" stuff. Just... ugh. :hurl:

Seems like you don't want to believe it so you have something to be angry about. After all, there is nothing not to understand. The screens are temporary until work is finished on the AAs. This is both understandable and reasonable.

While I liked the scene before, I am optomistic about an upgrade.

I suppose you are also disappointed with floating leota, the endless staircase scene, and the updated attic scene seeing as how these too were "unnessisary" upgrades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom