News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Buried20KLeague

I've been on the HK 360 gondolas multiple times, in a place that's actually somehow hotter and muggier than Florida...

There were no real issues with temp as far as I was concerned. There are plenty of gondolas in non-ski resorts... this isn't a transit system that needs A/C. I've weirdly probably been on at least 2-3 dozen of these all over the world. Only during ski season have I thought any actually got warm needing to shed layers.

I've been on those too... I'm not sure it's a great comparison. Those gondolas are WAY up in the air, and essentially over an ocean. (nice to meet a fellow Ngong Ping visitor!)

I DO wonder about comfort in the WDW ones, which as I understand it will hover much closer to the tree line. I'm sure they'll be fine when the goldolas are in motion... What I wonder is how they may heat up during a break down or any stoppage of any length.

It'll be interesting.

CaptainAmerica

What I wonder is how they may heat up during a break down or any stoppage of any length.

It'll be interesting.
I was under the impression that the detachment mechanism at the loading platforms would make this a non-issue. Any "problem" gondolas could be removed from the circuit to address whatever the issue is without stopping the others.

Bocabear

I don't think you understand the thermodynamics of ventilation and draft. There's going to be more breeze inside these gondolas than if you were in the open air. It's not like the vent in your bathroom. Vents on both the top and bottom of the vehicle will create essentially a vertical wind tunnel.
I doubt very seriously that it will be a vertical wind tunnel... It will probably have enough air movement to make it tolerable at best...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This

To you homeowners out there (or those who have paid attention to homes)- you have vents on your roof- and you have soffits vents at the bottom of your roofs.
The air comes up through the soffits- and vent through your vents at the top of your roof. Back in the day, builders used powered attic fans and then solar attic fans- but as we know more and more about ventilation- those have been phased out and Ridge vents (just static vents at the top of your ridge line) are the best option.
The ideal ratio is 50:50- too much exhaust ventilation creates static air. Too much intake also creates static air. If one has to have more than the other, you'd rather have more exhaust- you can be ok with 2:1 Intake:Exhaust, but you try to keep it as close to 1:1 as possible. In, and out.
The added movement at 10-15mph will help the intake, and will allow them to have a higher ratio of exhaust. I'm sure the engineers are taking that into account- so I have to assume they are basing the 50:50 ventilation based on movement. So we will likely have more static air when the gondolas are stationary- but it won't be significant enough in ratio or time to matter.

Moral of the story- it'll be ok temperature wise.
Bad news, then -- when I've been in my "well-ventilated" attic in July (and yes, I was that stupid once) it felt much like a Swedish sauna, but a Swedish sauna in which someone occasionally shakes out a vacuum cleaner bag.
I live in Texas too. There's this thing called the sun- and there's this thing called a foundation. One creates radiant heat and one makes the home stationary.

Because the gondola will be moving- radiant heat wont be as significant of an issue (in addition to it being in the shade while stationary)- and it will also increase the ventilation.

I don't understand your point, regardless. Are you just being a contrarian for arguments sake? How many people need to tell you that it won't be hotter than outside, and will- in fact- be cooler.
So your argument, if I'm understanding it correctly, is "Nuh uh- nope nope nope" ?
The argument is: "Attic venting is probably not the best analogy if you're trying to convince folks it'll be OK without AC."

Grimley1968

I don't worry about the devil invading my air conditioned house. If he ever did I would show him our passively ventilated attic and he'd never bother me again (until the next time I dared do some work up there in the middle of summer). ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So, pray tell, what analogy would have been more fitting to explain the concept of ventilation as it relates to these gondolas?

I'm not sure there IS a good enough analogy to convince people that a plexiglass gondola without AC is going to be bearable in the Florida summer sun and humidity.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
How about plexiglass Gondolas without ac that are bearable in sun and humidity that's worse than Florida like in Hong Kong?

Yet even that isn't enough to convince people, which leads me back to my original comment that the opposing argument's main point is "nuh uh, nope nope nope".
Well, a lot more of the readers here have experience in Florida, whereas very few have experience in Hong Kong. Based on my several years of experience living in Central Florida, I'd be mightily surprised to find the proposed gondolas anywhere near comfortable without AC. And I hope I am. I just don't expect to be.

allgiggles

So have we decided if we are going to roast to death or plummet to our deaths?

Just need to make the appropriate plans.

I'm pretty sure it will be a combination of both for me. First the system will shut down leaving me dangling at the highest point in the route. Then, because we're not moving, there will be little to no ventilation/draft and it will become ungodly hot in my gondola full of people. Then, for no reason whatsoever, the door on the gondola will open. Everyone will move to the opposite side of the car to avoid falling out and then our gondola will somehow detach from the cable and we will plummet to our death. At least that's how I envision it. YMMV. ;)

ETA: I forgot about a random lightning strike in the middle of that scenario. :D

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure it will be a combination of both for me. First the system will shut down leaving me dangling at the highest point in the route. Then, because we're not moving, there will be little to no ventilation/draft and it will become ungodly hot in my gondola full of people. Then, for no reason whatsoever, the door on the gondola will open. Everyone will move to the opposite side of the car to avoid falling out and then our gondola will somehow detach from the cable and we will plummet to our death. At least that's how I envision it. YMMV. ;)

ETA: I forgot about a random lightning strike in the middle of that scenario. :D
Sounds plausible. And expect that your next insurance policy update will specifically exclude death in a plummeting cable car.

lazyboy97o

Well, a lot more of the readers here have experience in Florida, whereas very few have experience in Hong Kong. Based on my several years of experience living in Central Florida, I'd be mightily surprised to find the proposed gondolas anywhere near comfortable without AC. And I hope I am. I just don't expect to be.
The problem with using Florida as an example is that throughout the US the philosophy has been to just toss stuff together and put in an AC unit. There is not enough consideration given to passively reducing the need for mechanical systems, but it is possible through the concepts repeatedly discussed.

jakeman

Lightning strike caused the shutdown obviously.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The problem with using Florida as an example is that throughout the US the philosophy has been to just toss stuff together and put in an AC unit. There is not enough consideration given to passively reducing the need for mechanical systems, but it is possible through the concepts repeatedly discussed.
Fair enough. I won't be holding my breath, though (until I ride the gondola, that is... ;) )

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

You figure you would take into account the people who have actually been on gondolas in warm climates. Not trying to be rude, but if your experience in central florida does not include being in a gondola, why is that relevant at all?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You figure you would take into account the people who have actually been on gondolas in warm climates. Not trying to be rude, but if your experience in central florida does not include being in a gondola, why is that relevant at all?
Because there are seasons, even in Hong Kong, where the temperature may be more tolerable. I'll wait and see, with my pessimism set to "stun."

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Because there are seasons, even in Hong Kong, where the temperature may be more tolerable. I'll wait and see, with my pessimism set to "stun."
florida-seasons-spring-summer-winter-fall-abc-news-19491445.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom