News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I forgot to click the sarcasm button for sure.

Step-Brothers-Did-we-just-become-best-friends.gif

Bocabear

Have you ever been in an elevator without AC?...like in a garage building? You are in those a heck of a lot less time than you will be in the gondola...which will be a glass terrarium in the hot Florida sun...that ventilation better be stellar...and what is the shortest leg? Fom EPCOT to POP/ AOA is going to take probably 10 minutes plus...

lazyboy97o

Have you ever been in an elevator without AC?...like in a garage building? You are in those a heck of a lot less time than you will be in the gondola...which will be a glass terrarium in the hot Florida sun...that ventilation better be stellar...and what is the shortest leg? Fom EPCOT to POP/ AOA is going to take probably 10 minutes plus...
An elevator is in an enclosed shaft typically made of concrete. It’s not the same. Ventilation is actually something understood by designers in other parts of the world.

Bocabear

yes but we are not in other parts of the world...lol
I am sure there will be some sort of ventilation, just hoping it is enough for a glass box in the Florida sun...

GCTales

But unlike an elevator in a closed shaft where there is no airflow through the shaft, it has been said that, with the gondolas moving, and having vents specifically for airflow the humidity and heat / cold will sufficiently addressed.

Bocabear

OK as long as it is most definitely not a problem and the cabins will be comfortably cool and pleasant in the humid stagnant Florida air, then I have no problem with it...Have you been on the monorail when the AC is not working? (it also has bypass ventilation that can be used)...it is pretty miserableand moves faster than the gondolas will...but if you know for sure and say it will be lovely...then I guess I shouldn't worry about that.

Bocabear

But unlike an elevator in a closed shaft where there is no airflow through the shaft, it has been said that, with the gondolas moving, and having vents specifically for airflow the humidity and heat / cold will sufficiently addressed.
those elevators also have electric fan ventilation...so they are not fully enclosed in a concrete shaft... but yes, the gondolas will have more free air available...so let's hope.

GCTales

those elevators also have electric fan ventilation...so they are not fully enclosed in a concrete shaft... but yes, the gondolas will have more free air available...so let's hope.
If it not sufficient... Then Disney will have to address it.

I have been in non-air conditioned gondolas in a hot and humid climate.... My experience suggests to me that the gondola will be superior to the monorail experience you suggest... I don't think it will be that bad.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The shortest leg will depend on the height of the passengers ...

Last edited:

ABQ

The AC decision is the result of many meetings and a lot of environmental testing.
Would you say that more folks than just the accountants thought about this decision? That they actually were concerned that guest satisfaction would be dismal if the gondola ride was akin to being a baked potato in a hot oven?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Seems odd since some tech is out there being used in gondolas. Forgot which company.

Yes, but it adds to the cost and increases the weight, thus reducing the capacity of each car. From what I have read there are only two ways to do AC. One is a multi cable system where power can be supplied over the cables, or the way the London system does it with a super capacitor in each car the charges at the stations. Both add cost and weight to the system.

Creathir

The AC decision is the result of many meetings and a lot of environmental testing.
When you say environmental testing you are referring to the cabin environment and not necessarily the global climate impact per se correct?

I'm assuming they did various comfort tests to determine what would be tolerable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom