News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Flynnwriter

Here’s a photo of what the skyliner will look like when complete!
E23F111B-A19F-4020-A6B5-387D20B56B5E.jpeg

ppete1975

To be fair, at one point, these were common in many US zoos—actually, around the same time the MK had its Skyway. It offered beautiful views of unthemed backstage areas and flat warehouse rooftops, and that was during the Good Old Days. ;)
From what I understand of the new gondalas (correct if I'm wrong) these are much more substantial and even air conditioned than the old Disney, state fair, local zoos....
124.jpg

127.jpg

126.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

bunnyman

Yes, they are going to be like the bottom picture. AC is very rare on gondolas due to the problem of how to power it so we won't be seeing AC on the Skyliner.

It can be done; ski resorts have been heating the cabins for years. In London, the "Emirates Air Line" (cable car) is air conditioned.

ppete1975

Yes, they are going to be like the bottom picture. AC is very rare on gondolas due to the problem of how to power it so we won't be seeing AC on the Skyliner.
how about lights? I can see why it would be easier and cheaper to not have electric to the carts, you know solar on the roofs would be awesome for these for lights. Could store when its sunny and light up at night without the need for ac

Jambo Joe

Not sure why you would need an excuse to ride them. Just get on ride it and get off when you tire of it. Same as you can do with the Monorails, buses or boats.
Heck - head to Landscapes of Flavor! Or do the restaurants at Disney’s Riviera! Or take it to the international gate and walk over to Yachtsman or Flying Fish - not very far. 😁

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
how about lights? I can see why it would be easier and cheaper to not have electric to the carts, you know solar on the roofs would be awesome for these for lights. Could store when its sunny and light up at night without the need for ac

Why would you even want lights at night? If you light up the interior, you wouldn't be able to see out because of the reflections. Buses turn off their lights at night when in motion.

MrPromey

Why would you even want lights at night? If you light up the interior, you wouldn't be able to see out because of the reflections. Buses turn off their lights at night when in motion.

I think most would want some illumination inside. Perhaps not fog lights but maybe a strip of LEDs under the bottom lip of the seats, just so it isn't pitch-black inside these things when they are making their trek at night.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The San Diego Zoo has one, and I still consider that to be a pretty fine zoo!
I know, I'm not arguing against it. I think it is the coolest thing that Disney has done in the line of transportation ever. It's those that are geared to disaster and don't like to see anything that they haven't seen before that object. BTW, I stated that just because I only knew of one doesn't mean there weren't more. Surprisingly, there are a lot of things that I don't know. Probably a lot more then I do know. I just have never associated Gondola's and zoo's. With all the Zoo's there are in the world the few that have been mentioned don't seem to make it a common thing either. Who wouldn't like to ride in a Gondola, floating over the landscape especially when this one is going to be so close to the ground.

ppete1975

That's actually a great point. I wasn't thinking it out, I figured people might be scared until you replied.

Although id think there would be some safety lights and beacon light on top, but that prob doesn't need to be electric (low power consumption)/

ppete1975

I know, I'm not arguing against it. I think it is the coolest thing that Disney has done in the line of transportation ever. It's those that are geared to disaster and don't like to see anything that they haven't seen before that object. BTW, I stated that just because I only knew of one doesn't mean there weren't more. Surprisingly, there are a lot of things that I don't know. Probably a lot more then I do know. I just have never associated Gondola's and zoo's. With all the Zoo's there are in the world the few that have been mentioned don't seem to make it a common thing either. Who wouldn't like to ride in a Gondola, floating over the landscape especially when this one is going to be so close to the ground.
I know the okc zoo and even the state fair had one until I think the 90s (of course we also had a monorail).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This project would be more appealing if the gondolas went to one of the hotels featuring interesting restaurants and an atmosphere suitable for strolling, like the Lodges. It would be great to hop in a gondola after a day at the park and glide to the buffet at AKL. As is, there isn’t much of interest at Animation or Caribbean unless you’re staying there - which I’m sure was part of the point, but is still a bit of a downer.
If you are at DHS you will be able to take it to Boardwalk and BC/YC to stroll or dine. Those are pretty good options, but you could have reached them by boat anyway. Can’t disagree on the lack of appeal of visiting the other resorts connected. Maybe the rooftop place at Riviera will be worth visiting but likely to be DVC only like TotW at BLT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom