News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This has been one of the most enjoyable reads i have ever seen on this forum. But think about this folks, Florida is flat, WDW is flat. In order to make an efficient Gondola system it would have to be high in the sky, a little too high for some folks. This is like the addition of more miles to the Monorail system. It's been tossed around in board meetings but isn't an option due to the incident that caused the original Gondola in the MK to be closed. It's harder to open the door's of the monorail than an unpilotted Gondola. In terms of safety, Florida Weather, and the likes this is just but a rumor. There are separate Transportation projects in the works but a Gondola is not one them. Lighting and metal do not work well together.
Mayor Shinn called -- he wants to see your credentials.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No offence, but I'm not sure I'm 100% on board with your map, do you really think they would run gondola cables over top the existing Caribbean Beach resorts? and wouldn't that new main building make the ideal place for a transportation station, whether it be gondola or people mover, which I'm still kind of leaning towards myself, but that large building planed for the south end or the Caribbean Beach resort seems like the perfect place to store and do maintenance on these ride vehicles, whatever they end up being
The map is good. Mostly. Including the part you mentioned.

Storage will be part of the south CBR station.

Ripken10

View attachment 189951
See what I mean? That that building is a v. You use the center of the back of the building, and the center of the exit to get your line. It is not inline with the other building. I don't think those will connect directly.
Your blue line is not in line with the direction of the v. Your error is just enough to put it off. Look closely and you can see the blue line gets closer to the top of the b building as it exits

EpcotEric01

Just because scooter can be accommodated, doesn't necessarily mean they have to be accommodated. Evacuation of scooter people from gondolas would be difficult at best.
None of the videos shows a clueless rental scooter operator trying to maneuver onto the gondola!

Why would it be any more difficult than evacuating from a monorail?

raymusiccity

At 5 minutes this video explains and shows how people with strollers and wheelchairs can easily get on. Having experience with getting on and riding gondola's, I have seen both easily get on. The speed of the vehicle slows down enough for all to get on safely.

People with rental scooters can't even maneuver up a bus ramp, let alone a gondola. So, the operator has to stop what they're doing, tell the scooter renter to sit over to one side, while they drive it on and strap it down. Huge difference than a stroller or wheel chair.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
People with rental scooters can't even maneuver up a bus ramp, let alone a gondola. So, the operator has to stop what they're doing, tell the scooter renter to sit over to one side, while they drive it on and strap it down. Huge difference than a stroller or wheel chair.
Yet a lot of us have no issue with it at all. And since they don't strap it down for a monorail, there is zero reason to do it on a gondola. The reason they strap it down on the buses is if the bus gets in an accident, the scooter doesn't become a projectile. Not an issue with the gondolas.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In the scenario that my previous reply was referring to, it was proposed that groups of three gondolas would arrive at a time, then later, another group of three would arrive. The fact that they would arrive in groups implies that there would be a gap between the next group, which would mean the system would not be an omnimover as we picture it at Disney, with a number of cars lined up, constantly being filled.

The system I'm envisioning this to be would act as an omnimover, but if there were dedicated gondolas for the resorts with nobody there to get on them, there would still be unused cars when they could be filled. It would be akin to the Haunted Mansion saying you could only use every second or third doom buggy because the others were reserved for some other use. It would cause unnecessary delays.

Considering that cars switch off the cable for load/unload, No advantage to grouping them and it would slow dispatch

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm getting the feeling that many of you have never been to a ski resorts or on a gondola?

They are old school tech. Decades of service records.

Lighting isn't a problem. The towers are the grounds, no big deal there at all.

You see gondolas up in the air at ski resorts because they are trying to go over something, when built on flat land they can be low to the ground. I've been on chair lifts that weren't far off the ground at all.

Lightning is an issue in that it can blow out transformers/motors/switchgear in the event of a nearby strike thereby disabling drive systems, As a safety issue the gondola is effectively a faraday cage so passenger safety during a storm is a non-issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom