News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Tonka's Skipper

Sachilles...........You outlined the problems, that is why a side track is better. The strollers, scooters etc, can be loaded on the side track and the main line keeps running. When loaded you just track the gondola to the mainline and clamp on. No matter how long it takes to load, the mainline is running.

TimeTrip

What if the lines between each station were all independent, and the station areas were also independent of each other and of the main lines?
Seems like it could result in lots of transfers, and waiting in lines multiple times. I was hoping that they would be able to shuffle off gondolas at a station in order to go to another route without needing to have people exit the cabin. Naturally they would need a decent buffer in case there is a backup. If the buffer is filled up, THEN make them exit and send the empty cabins to some other destination. That would also require "reserving" cabins to keep an endpoint from flooding a transfer point where people are getting on at that point. Would be cool, but tricky. However I can't think of a phycisal design where you could have 3 lines coming into one location without it getting very complicated and large. It would only work easily for two lines as a kind of "mid-stop and load/unload/through"

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Cities to look at for the way proposals have handled things like loading / car storage and queuing in system (and even in station) are Austin and Vancouver.

I would link the proposals, but I am on an iPad...trickier...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Seems like it could result in lots of transfers, and waiting in lines multiple times. I was hoping that they would be able to shuffle off gondolas at a station in order to go to another route without needing to have people exit the cabin. Naturally they would need a decent buffer in case there is a backup. If the buffer is filled up, THEN make them exit and send the empty cabins to some other destination. That would also require "reserving" cabins to keep an endpoint from flooding a transfer point where people are getting on at that point. Would be cool, but tricky. However I can't think of a phycisal design where you could have 3 lines coming into one location without it getting very complicated and large. It would only work easily for two lines as a kind of "mid-stop and load/unload/through"
The cars can transfer on their own, between propulsion cables independently run between the stations...which, is what I think Marni is implying.

You can have, on the same "propulsion line system", "local" and "express" gondolas.

One of the links I posted earlier referred to a system in Europe (Alps?) that is doing just that. There are others, like at Brekenridge here in the US.

It should be noted, these are NOT ski lifts as most people would think of them...far beyond that.

Creathir

Cost is something that concerns me with this system.

The London system: $100 million per kilometer.

INSANE.

A lot depends on the system used as those costs can be controlled, so that MAY not be what to expect, but the proposed Austin system (most similar to what WDW might be rolling out) could cost as much as $600 million for the 8 mile system.

That's a TON of money...

A monorail expansion or a WEDWay/PRT could be installed for that amount of money.

A lot of that could have been RoW acquisition which would not be a problem here, but really, 19 stations isn't a TON of RoW, especially with the support pillions for the Austin system running down existing road infrastructure.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
No, no- I'm talking about the top right "turn" area by the north loop of sea breeze. Not the station just south of the south loop of sea breeze where the permits were filed for CBBR

Here is my 4th grade microsoft paint version:
t7MhenX.png

Why are they even going to the top right and not just following the red line? Is this a transportation system or a novelty item? If the grass area is still permitted for wetlands- they are going to need permits here regardless with the DHS-CBBR route.

Maybe they plan to build something in the area where the red line is.

P_Radden

No, no- I'm talking about the top right "turn" area by the north loop of sea breeze. Not the station just south of the south loop of sea breeze where the permits were filed for CBBR

Here is my 4th grade microsoft paint version:
t7MhenX.png

Why are they even going to the top right and not just following the red line? Is this a transportation system or a novelty item? If the grass area is still permitted for wetlands- they are going to need permits here regardless with the DHS-CBBR route.

If I'm thinking long term and years down the road, maybe they're reserving the huge section of land between Buena Vista Dr, Victory Way and the DHS parking lot (north of the proposed sky-way gondola) for a new resort?

Last edited:

Sachilles

Sachilles...........You outlined the problems, that is why a side track is better. The strollers, scooters etc, can be loaded on the side track and the main line keeps running. When loaded you just track the gondola to the mainline and clamp on. No matter how long it takes to load, the mainline is running.
I mean no offense, but I really don't understand what you are saying. Perhaps explain in a different way.
My previous career for approximately 18 years, revolved around this type of equipment. While not my daily job, I was trained to operate it and facilitate emergency rescues from this equipment. I have a very good, practical working knowledge of how these systems work. I am also very familiar with their operating costs. While I haven't seen the exact equipment they plan to use, I do know without a shadow of a doubt that it can operate in a safe manner that can accommodate folks with ambulatory issues, be ADA compliant and not suffer from service disruptions due to loading issues from those users. There are a ton of options. Some with a moving walkway along the approach and some without. It's more of options list, that the client needs to pick what suites them best. I am curious what options they use, and how many load and unload points there will be. In that I don't think the full picture exist yet until more permits are ferreted out, or a press release explains it.

natatomic

Cost is something that concerns me with this system.

The London system: $100 million per kilometer.

INSANE.

A lot depends on the system used as those costs can be controlled, so that MAY not be what to expect, but the proposed Austin system (most similar to what WDW might be rolling out) could cost as much as $600 million for the 8 mile system.

That's a TON of money...

A monorail expansion or a WEDWay/PRT could be installed for that amount of money.

A lot of that could have been RoW acquisition which would not be a problem here, but really, 19 stations isn't a TON of RoW, especially with the support pillions for the Austin system running down existing road infrastructure.

Still cheaper than FP+

gorillaball

The main two things I have learned in this thread (outside of what I learned in the first page):

1. Many people on message boards have never ridden a gondola and are very unfamiliar with them.
2. Many people on message boards read the last post and immediately ask questions rather than spend 2 minutes reading back a little ways. (Yes, this is something I should have learned by now but for Mickey's sake I am strongly reminded of it today!)

P_Radden

The main two things I have learned in this thread (outside of what I learned in the first page):

1. Many people on message boards have never ridden a gondola and are very unfamiliar with them.
2. Many people on message boards read the last post and immediately ask questions rather than spend 2 minutes reading back a little ways. (Yes, this is something I should have learned by now but for Mickey's sake I am strongly reminded of it today!)
The two main thing I have learned in this thread today are:

1. The official new term "marni-firmed" by @englanddg
2. The term "for Mickey's sake" by you. Thanks!

But I agree with your points, and I admit I honestly did not know much about gondolas before this week.

britain

I'd doubt anything but pre determined.

Hmm... I've been wondering why there isn't a line from the Boardwalk elbow right down to DHS...

Maybe its more a matter of all routes head to the "TTC2" by CBR, with two lines ahead of you two choose between. Coming from Epcot, you choose between DHS or Pop. Coming from Pop you choose between DHS or Epcot. And coming from DHS, you choose Epcot or Pop.

This simplifies the options, but still makes it a choice. This means those elbows can't be terminals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom