News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Cosmic Commando

As such my question was pertaining to the durability of this in a heat situation but also a constant use situation, not one person has provided a single piece of useful info on this type of cable being used in a hot climates or a constant use situation
A constant use situation is exactly the kind of job this rope was designed for. It says it everywhere this rope is mentioned. It's like worrying about whether skis can handle snow... it's what they do.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A constant use situation is exactly the kind of job this rope was designed for. It says it everywhere this rope is mentioned. It's like worrying about whether skis can handle snow... it's what they do.

1545866871767.png

:p

Kamikaze

Obviously I wasn't talking about the cables melting, that's foolish. From the technical documents on the website posted this plastic is a filler to make the rope smoother therefore it's a filler of sorts between the metal. As such my question was pertaining to the durability of this in a heat situation but also a constant use situation, not one person has provided a single piece of useful info on this type of cable being used in a hot climates or a constant use situation. What people have posted it how this company has built systems in other countries or other equally repetitive comments that have nothing to do with my post.

So for more clarification, does anyone know of this plastic treated cable type being used in a high use system like Disney will have in a similar climate? No I am not asking what hot countries countries gondolas are used in nor systems that are operated 365 days a year I am asking which systems use this cable in those situations.

You really think the ambient temperature is more of a concern than friction would be? Theres no way this is an issue.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Disney hired the best gondola company in the business, using the best cable company in the business, and yet people still can't stop thinking about failure modes. Utter silliness.
I think it's that when people hear that Disney is "buying cable," all the analysts are saying it's a futile move because of all the cord-cutting going on out there.

Kamikaze

Try temperature combined with constant use year round and for very long days compared to a ski slope

You have literally no idea what you're talking about. The friction of the cable rolling through its various touchpoints would be far hotter than anything any ambient temperature is going to throw at it, regardless of where the system is. Friction don't care if its in Florida or Colorado. The hottest ambient temperature is going to be is what, 110? BFD.

delta_T=(7800*mu*Wab*v)/(J*(k1+k2))
delta_T = rise in temperature
mu = coefficient of friction
Wab = surface energy of adhesion
v = sliding speed
J = mechanical equivalent of heat
k1, k2 = heat conductivity of the two materials

In other words: If the cable can handle it in any other location, it doesn't matter that this is in Florida.

biggy H

You have literally no idea what you're talking about. The friction of the cable rolling through its various touchpoints would be far hotter than anything any ambient temperature is going to throw at it, regardless of where the system is. Friction don't care if its in Florida or Colorado. The hottest ambient temperature is going to be is what, 110? BFD.

v = sliding speed

In other words: If the cable can handle it in any other location, it doesn't matter that this is in Florida.

How dare you bring science into this debate......:p:p

MickeyMinnieMom

v = sliding speed

Physics class flashbacks... was this really necessary?? ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If you had read the brochure you would have read that PERFORMA is recommended for systems with long operating days.
I would have thought WDW would go with the OCTURA, where customer feedback indicates the 8 steel strands nearly double the service life of the haul rope with only minimal transport noise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom