News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

WDWdream97

I should also add whilst the gondolas theirselves will be theme generic, each of the station complexes will be appropriately themed to their location and to existing adjacent (and proposed) buildings.
Is the proposed new resort a theme that had not been done before at any Disney resort?

Sachilles

It certainly isn't confirmed that the Springs will have a stop. I find that it would make a lot of sense, as their is an awful lot of high priced rent there, that is going to want every opportunity to keep that place packed.
You have epcot world showcase, and boardwalk as a somewhat adult centric food and beverage area, along with the springs. It only makes sense to connect the two somehow. Maybe not with this line, but somehow, I have to believe they'd desire to do this.
Make no mistake, I don't see anything tangible at the moment to suggest it's happening, it just looks like a logical step.

DisneyOwl12

This could be mitigated quite easily with magicband turnstiles at the springs. You can't get on the system without a valid band(or pay the equivalent of a parking fee). You'd recover your lost parking fees or discourage people from the practice.

Couldn't they do the same, if they wanted, with a bus?

Edit: For the record, I think something like this should connect DS to the parks. It would be nice to have a direct connection, but Disney hasn't shown the willingness to do so. I just don't see why this would be any different.

Sachilles

Couldn't they do the same, if they wanted, with a bus?

Edit: For the record, I think something like this should connect DS to the parks. It would be nice to have a direct connection, but Disney hasn't shown the willingness to do so. I just don't see why this would be any different.
Sure, why not. Have a premium destination gateway. My only thought is the new bus depot is on the wrong side of the place to efficiently use one gateway to access both bus and this new transportation.
Of course they could suck it up and not charge at all, if someone wants to park there to access the parks. Might be worth the cost to the tenants of Disney springs. They'll want any traffic they can get. It makes sense to push people through any gift shop.

grimb168

Love this idea if it truly becomes correct.
1. I am a DVC member who purchased Saratoga years ago for the short walk/boat to the springs and animal kingdom lodge because of the love of the animals/Africa/and the look of the area This would be a great "hook" for the purchase of DVC at the car beach Go to the parks on a gondala.
2 Bus 50 pass a bus times 4 buses and hour (one every 20 min) + 200 pass an hour. This will be a much larger people eater then a bus.
3 Bus 4 drivers an hour bus cost/fuel/wages vrs cost of personal running gondala
4. Just like the beam cleaning costs of monorail passed on to the movie studios for advertisement they will pass part of the costs on to the DVC part of the resort.
5. Advertisement of the parks Come ride a magic carpet ride from your resort(s) to Epcot/Studios
This will be a win for everyone

lazyboy97o

With so many municipalities looking at Gondola systems as mass transit solutions, you have to wonder if the selected vendor wouldn't give Disney a huge discount/sponsorship to put in and maintain this system as a showpiece which would also lower the costs.
Doubtful. Doppelmayr Garaventa Group is the world's largest manufacturer of such systems.

dreamscometrue

I'm excited about this for so many reasons. This just looks fun to me.I like the glass floor that you can see, and see down through, between 1:00 and 1:22

flynnibus

Premium Member
"On these routes" is the key phrase on why this project doesn't make 100% sense to me. We're talking about a very limited scope in terms of what destinations this infrastructure will service. For that reason, I question how much impact it can possibly have on the entire "system."

Are you talking about monorails?? ;)

Nubs70

It has been justified money-wise.

Buses are a finite resource. Roads are clogging. The resorts being serviced will in theory have more people requesting transport.

Come back in late summer and say your last line again.
BINGO,

If the project has been justified monetarily, then margin expectations have been satisfied. Therefore, the project is a go. All changes that are being made are done through the lens of margin increase..

raymusiccity

There is no need for the gondola lift to be that high or use that many towers so close to each other. The gondolas do not need to be any higher than the current monorail.

Besides, Paris is likely getting a lift system soon.

I'm not sure what exact model Martin had in mind. It could be a smaller model of the one posted, or, one with less occupancy because they don't have middle benches so as to accommodate personal vehicles.

It's unlikely a lightning strike would take out a gondola lift except temporarily. The system is very mechanical. If the electronic controls are fried, then the back up generators can be fired up and the system goes on manual control until everyone is off.

Part of the permit which spilled the beans includes a gravel roadway through the swamp/wetland right underneath the path of the gondolas. This would allow an evac vehicle to get underneath any stranded gondola. The height of the gondola doesn't have to be any higher than the monorail. There is no need for any special evac vehicle other than the ones they already have.

There's a video in this thread of someone in a wheelchair easily entering a gondola.

ECVs, wheelchairs, and strollers are a non-issue.

Just because scooter can be accommodated, doesn't necessarily mean they have to be accommodated. Evacuation of scooter people from gondolas would be difficult at best.
None of the videos shows a clueless rental scooter operator trying to maneuver onto the gondola!

Last edited:

Disney-Trains

Just a thought....

Approach the skyway station at EPCOT and choose between 3 Q's... DHS, CB, AoA. Cabins approach the loading area and stop 3 at a time. All 3 cabins load from the same Q and are dispatched together (automatically spaced safely apart of course). While they are being dispatched... The next Q is loaded for the next 3 cabins that will board and be dispatched together...

Now... When the cabins approach the next station (say... Carribean Beach) the loaded cabins for DHS will all bypass the station stop and continue on to DHS. Bypass means they will come into the station... But switched over to a bypass line that will see them dispatched directly onto the cable to continue to DHS.

Meanwhile the cabins that arrive for CB would all switch onto the station boarding area.

I hope that makes any sense at all. Just thinking of the possibilities.

rreading

So I have not read all 43 pages of this topic, so apologies if it's already been covered. My excitement about this suggestion is that to me, this is exactly what Animal Kingdom Lodge needs to get to AK; traveling over the animals of the lodge and then wrapping around to the front entrance of the park would be such a nice addition to that resort. Also, it would make scooting over to a meal at Boma or Jiko from AK so much easier/more pleasant.

DisneyOwl12

Just a thought....

Approach the skyway station at EPCOT and choose between 3 Q's... DHS, CB, AoA. Cabins approach the loading area and stop 3 at a time. All 3 cabins load from the same Q and are dispatched together (automatically spaced safely apart of course). While they are being dispatched... The next Q is loaded for the next 3 cabins that will board and be dispatched together...

Now... When the cabins approach the next station (say... Carribean Beach) the loaded cabins for DHS will all bypass the station stop and continue on to DHS. Bypass means they will come into the station... But switched over to a bypass line that will see them dispatched directly onto the cable to continue to DHS.

Meanwhile the cabins that arrive for CB would all switch onto the station boarding area.

I hope that makes any sense at all. Just thinking of the possibilities.

Without the rider's ability to choose a specific destination, which, I think, a respected insider has already said is very unlikely to happen, this would likely decrease the efficiency of the system. Imagine a large line at EPCOT to go to DHS, with nobody in line to go to the resorts. Those resort gondolas would be sent away empty when they could have been filled with people waiting in the DHS line. Could they then get off at the resort, and get on a different gondola to DHS? Yes, of course, but this would unnecessarily complicate the process. A single cable line from EPCOT to DHS with the option to get off at the CBR resort stations, if you choose, and a separate line from CBR South to AoA/Pop would seem to be the more efficient system if the gondola were to connect all of these destinations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom