New Fast Pass Testing at Splash Mountain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enriquail

Original Poster
Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster. Ive been visiting the world since I was a kid and this struck me as odd today. We had 2:15 passes for splash mountain in frontier land and got there a little early. While waiting we noticed they were taking the passes at the fast pass return area instead of inside the mountain. At first I thought it had to be a cm mistake but a bunch of manager types were standing around collecting the passes and actually questioning people on why they were coming in with late passes.

Anyone more "in the know" have any details? It seems odd and a little dumb to collect the passes out front as anyone can duck under the ropes since the two lines are so close. Hopefully its just a test but wondering why all the questioning? Were still in the world until Tuesday so ill try to make my way back to find out more

Figment1986

possibly just collecting data for surveys and whatnot. Possibly they want to figure out how many are coming in "late" versus on time and find out the main reason why. Then they can see if people are shopping or eating then loosing time, or riding space mountain and then getting back to splash later and using the FP.

BigThunderMatt

Because they're going to eventually go back to the original plan and encourage people to come back within their time window. In the understanding that things happen, but to prevent the majority of people from abusing the system and coming back 5,6, or 7 hours after their time.

kennygman

Sounds like a dumb waste of time to question guests on why they are late. Just creates unecessary conflict.

Pioneer Hall

Because they're going to eventually go back to the original plan and encourage people to come back within their time window. In the understanding that things happen, but to prevent the majority of people from abusing the system and coming back 5,6, or 7 hours after their time.

I personally think that this is the way that it should have always been done, since the system is designed that way. I understand why Disney does it the way they do, but that doesn't make the system very effective if too many people come outside their window.

boufa

Why? True customer service is about satisfying the needs of the guest not looking for reasons to say no.

Never gonna happen. The late returners are not causing enoough problems to become militant with the guests.

R W B

The first time I went to wdw I think you had to come back within the time frame which I understood but that doesn't mean I liked it. You could get stuck in line of another ride or your food could take long if you grab a bite because you think you have time. I really was happy to find out they changed it last year on my trip. I will really be unhappy if they change it back to the original way.

amazingwdw

possibly just collecting data for surveys and whatnot. Possibly they want to figure out how many are coming in "late" versus on time and find out the main reason why. Then they can see if people are shopping or eating then loosing time, or riding space mountain and then getting back to splash later and using the FP.

This sounds like they are figuring out the logistics of the "xPass" and whether or not planning fastpasses in before your trip would be feasible.

DonaldDoleWhip

Oh boy, so it begins. :(

A few nights ago (I think Sunday night), I got in the Space Mountain line with a late fastpass at about 9:30 PM. The fastpass line was literally out the door of the front entrance (along with the standby line). I asked the CM how long the fastpass line would take, and he said it would only be about 15 minutes (which surprised me - it looked like much longer), and he said it looked so bad because so many people were coming to use their fastpasses late. Then he said something like "pretty soon it won't be this bad at night anymore." I asked why, and he said that once they install the reservation system with fastpasses, they'll be completely enforcing the return times. Sounds like that might be happening soon.

gators11

Splash could have been closed and they were telling people they were accepting earlier FP and the OP misheard them?:shrug:

Scuttle

A few nights ago (I think Sunday night), I got in the Space Mountain line with a late fastpass at about 9:30 PM. The fastpass line was literally out the door of the front entrance (along with the standby line). I asked the CM how long the fastpass line would take, and he said it would only be about 15 minutes (which surprised me - it looked like much longer), and he said it looked so bad because so many people were coming to use their fastpasses late. Then he said something like "pretty soon it won't be this bad at night anymore." I asked why, and he said that once they install the reservation system with fastpasses, they'll be completely enforcing the return times. Sounds like that might be happening soon.

I don't see them enforcing the return times. I mean especially when your window for return is 5 hours away. I mean come on they expect you to alter your dinner plans or whatever to make sure you get back within the window. Doubt this will happen.

unclejay1960

the rides are designed to let x amount of people on a day. it doesnt matter if your on time or not only x amount of people will get fast passes each day

wdwfan100

the rides are designed to let x amount of people on a day. it doesnt matter if your on time or not only x amount of people will get fast passes each day

I think that the "x" amount is designed to be staggered over the course of a day. If 500 late fast passers all show up together, I sure would hate to be in the stand by line.

Tom Morrow

I don't see why people have a problem with them asking the question, its clearly for research, they are probably just trying to figure out how many people actually show up late.

KingdomofDreams

Good! It's about time someone wised up. They should never have wavered from the designated return window. It completely screws up the wait times for everyone.

Not true. The total amount of FP's issued each day is important, however it is also very important that people return within their designated time window to manage wait times for both the FP and Stand by queues.

The argument that "things" happen and people get delayed returning does not hold water. You know what your return time window is going to be when you accept the FP from the machine. If that time isn't going to work, either change your plans or don't take the FP. You have a very lengthy time window which more than allows for any possible delays. If you're over an hour late for your appointment, you've just missed out. It's very simple and the best customer service move they could possibly make for ALL concerned would be to adhere to the return times with no more than perhaps a few minutes grace.

In addition to checking the return time, they also need to be checking dates (or somehow scanning/using RFID tech) to ensure the FP being used is valid for that date.

BigThunderMatt

I don't see them enforcing the return times. I mean especially when your window for return is 5 hours away. I mean come on they expect you to alter your dinner plans or whatever to make sure you get back within the window. Doubt this will happen.

Actually, it is. It's already being talked to cast internally. As soon as the reservation system for FPs comes into play, they will be enforcing the window.

TalkingHead

If I was asked why I was late for my FP time, I'd say I was stuck on Test Track.

The day Disney starts enforcing returns times is going to be a magical day for guest services.

BigTxEars

Actually, it is. It's already being talked to cast internally. As soon as the reservation system for FPs comes into play, they will be enforcing the window.

How is the reservation for FP system going to work? Not sure I want that much planning going into my day :ROFLOL:

KingdomofDreams

I don't think they should ask anyone why they were late. It's irrelevant. If you're more than a few minutes outside the return time, you should just have to go standby. Of course if you're not happy with the way the FREE FP system is managed, you're welcome to not use it. :shrug: It's a completely optional benefit - and a great FREE one - but it's your choice to use or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom