New Fantasyland - Will it be open by January 2013 ?!

When everything else needs to be built around it first then yes, it would take this long.
My point was that none of the attractions in the FL expansion are on that grand of a scale, so there shouldn't be a lengthy construction process to begin with besides laying down the foundation and footwork for the various areas of the expansion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There is no excuse for an attraction which is nowhere near the scale of FJ, to take this long to be built.

I took a quick look for the numbers based on the best dates I could find.

WWoHP (11/2007 - 6/1/2010) - 31 months
FJ (2/2008 - 6/1/2010) - 27 months
FL Expansion minus mine train (2/2010 - 11/2012 estimated) - 33 months
Mine Train (9/2011 - 3/2014) - 30 months (corrected)

Dan

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I took a quick look for the numbers based on the best dates I could find.

WWoHP (11/2007 - 6/1/2010) - 31 months
FJ (2/2008 - 6/1/2010) - 27 months
FL Expansion minus mine train (2/2010 - 11/2012 estimated) - 33 months
Mine Train (9/2011 - 3/2014) - 18 months

Dan

Can I borrow that time machine?

Lee

Adventurer
There is no excuse for an attraction which is nowhere near the scale of FJ, to take this long to be built.

Well...there are reasons why construction is phased in certain ways.
Logistics, building a major ride in the center of a current construction area (at some point an area open to guests) complicates things a bit.
Also, by phasing it out this way, the budget can be spread over more than one fiscal year rather than writing one big check.

Lastly, the mine ride has gone through at least three different designs in the last two years or so. Hard to build what you haven't finished designing yet.

Neverland

Everything will be open by 2013, except the Mine Train, like others have said.

Right now it's looking like all of the expansion will be open even before the Halloween parties in 2012. Storybook Circus will be opening in phases, but all of it will be done by summer. And Beast/Mermaid are ahead of schedule, Mermaid especially.

When everything else needs to be built around it first then yes, it would take this long.

This, exactly. Once Beast and Mermaid open in fall 2012, Mine Train will be an island of construction. It's going to be difficult constructing Mine Train in the middle of an already existing and operating area. I honestly can't think of any ride that was built like that. New rides like it are generally built on the edge of a park (Everest, Big Thunder, etc), where it's easy to get machines and equipment and workers in and out.

Cosmic Commando

This, exactly. Once Beast and Mermaid open in fall 2012, Mine Train will be an island of construction. It's going to be difficult constructing Mine Train in the middle of an already existing and operating area. I honestly can't think of any ride that was built like that. New rides like it are generally built on the edge of a park (Everest, Big Thunder, etc), where it's easy to get machines and equipment and workers in and out.

Mermaid at DCA was just built like this. It's surrounded by theme park and the Grand Californian.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=33.8063152&lon=-117.921356&z=18&l=0&m=b

danlb_2000

Premium Member

ob1thx1138

Yes, but the site is at the end of a backstage access rode. It's not yet known if an access road will be left to the Mine Ride site. They could leave the road that goes between LM and Storybook Circus, and just cutoff that path until the ride is finished.

Dan

That is most like what they will do. There is ready no other option other than shutting down access surfing park hours and I just don't see that happening.

Ignohippo

Well...there are reasons why construction is phased in certain ways.
Logistics, building a major ride in the center of a current construction area (at some point an area open to guests) complicates things a bit.
Also, by phasing it out this way, the budget can be spread over more than one fiscal year rather than writing one big check.

Lastly, the mine ride has gone through at least three different designs in the last two years or so. Hard to build what you haven't finished designing yet.

You can't underestimate the marketing advantages of spreading it out as well. By staggering the openings, they'll have new attractions to promote each year through 2015 (and I'm sure MI will be the next big thing in 2015 to coincide with the opening of MU which they'll ride until Avatar in 2017).

When I was in the MK Sunday morning they had a cast member doing a presentation in front of one of the Fantasyland drawings (the ones they have up on the construction walls). He was a middle-management looking sort of guy just answering questions. He said that LM would be done by summer and the rest finished by December, except for the Seven Dwarfs. Not sure how official it was, but I also can't imagine that a CM would be doing a Q&A right out in the open without some sort of authorization from Disney.

Neverland

When I was in the MK Sunday morning they had a cast member doing a presentation in front of one of the Fantasyland drawings (the ones they have up on the construction walls). He was a middle-management looking sort of guy just answering questions. He said that LM would be done by summer and the rest finished by December, except for the Seven Dwarfs. Not sure how official it was, but I also can't imagine that a CM would be doing a Q&A right out in the open without some sort of authorization from Disney.

Meh. It could be an imagineer in the know, or it could be a Fantasyland quick service food and beverage manager. I'd have to see the person and see the 'presentation' to know, because lots of CMs (myself included) love to boast to guests about how great the expansion is going to be. I've had many Q&As myself. We're allowed to tell guests general things and known facts, but not to guarantee everything. I've been told specific dates, numbers, details, etc, but I can't tell those things to guests, because nothing is set in stone quite yet. I can say that the dates I have differ from what that person said.

We're planning a trip to WDW in late Jan/early Feb 2013. I'm happy to hear that most of the FL expansion will be done and that we'll be able to enjoy some of the new attractions. Thanks for the information!

Meh. It could be an imagineer in the know, or it could be a Fantasyland quick service food and beverage manager. I'd have to see the person and see the 'presentation' to know, because lots of CMs (myself included) love to boast to guests about how great the expansion is going to be. I've had many Q&As myself. We're allowed to tell guests general things and known facts, but not to guarantee everything. I've been told specific dates, numbers, details, etc, but I can't tell those things to guests, because nothing is set in stone quite yet. I can say that the dates I have differ from what that person said.

He wasn't wearing a uniform, if that helps. Just a name tag. Looked like mid-management, very young though. I seriously hope he wasn't standing in the middle of the parks doing an informal presentation with no authorization!

FigmentJedi

Any definition of summer because I'm going in late May?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom