New expensive "interactive" merch - Haunted Mansion Ghost Post

jacobzking

image.png
Looks like the app is live!

Cmdr_Crimson

It only mentions Disneyland though. Does that mean it's not WDW interactive?

When visiting Disneyland in Anaheim, California – the ghosts will enlist your help with a ‘dire’ problem. Use your Phantom Radio to help the Lost Ghosts return to the Haunted Mansion.
(I didn't buy a box nor do I have an Apple phone so it's no beans to me either way)

If it was we would have seen new props lingering around the Liberty Square area similar to the Pirates interactive games..

jacobzking

App review... so far I can tell that it does 2 things. 1). If you're in DisneyLAND, there is an interactive map that leads you to certain stations in the park to get things like a "custom psychic reading" 2). the main feature is just what it advertises.... its a "radio". You scroll through the channels (they ARE marked) and then using the compass feature of the iPhone, you "spin" the phone to get the reception to come in clear. There's about a dozen different sound clips that are all pretty much publicly available. Narration, ride music, early voice over recordings, etc.

It DOES ask me for a user ID which I assume will come with the 1st mystery box. I'm guessing when you enter that, it will allow you to take a special Haunted Mansion themed portrait with your phone.

Not super exciting.

EthanMagicBands

Ok I just got my box and did the whole interaction and I think these boxes are AWESOME. It was really fun, creative, and very well done. Definitely felt like Disney didn't half- it... it was well put together with neat unique props that you'll never get otherwise.

If you are a Haunted Mansion geek you'll love it. Can't wait for my second box! My kids LOVED it.

I think if you put all three boxes together and the value you get (an hour or two of fun per box and some nice unique rare merchandise), I would say it's worth the $200 for sure.

jacobzking

My bat came loose in shipping and broke my tea cup. I'm ED! And Disney doesn't know if they have any replacements. :(

Did you get through the card game?

EthanMagicBands

My bat came loose in shipping and broke my tea cup. I'm ****ED! And Disney doesn't know if they have any replacements. :(

Yes, I did get through the card game. By the way, I live near WDW, not DL, so I didn't get to do any of the park interaction stuff. Bummer. :( That would have made even better. If anyone knows what happens at DL, please let me know.

By the way, my bat was also loose and was very afraid that the tee cup with broken, but thankfully it wasn't. So you most likely aren't the only one with the issue.

jacobzking

i think its cool how interactive it all is. i was just expecting useless junk. limited edition useless junk... but junk. on the contrary, this is actually pretty cool! other than my cup being broken (which I am told is being replaced) i'm thrilled with the kit.

i need to do the card game again to figure out how that worked out 5living/5haunts

stuff you have to freeze, the use of the bat stanchion, all the custom narrated story... COOL STUFF!

jacobzking

fair enough. i do agree that the cup alone (the only piece of real value) isn't worth $70 (1/3 the total price), but as a whole, it will hold its value. and i'm hoping for even cooler stuff in the next 2 boxes.

MrPromey

My bat came loose in shipping and broke my tea cup. I'm ****ED! And Disney doesn't know if they have any replacements. :(

The double edged sword of a complex limited edition offering. Not being mass produced, the stability of the packaging was probably not as securely tested and not being mass produced, there's a serious risk on the extras... Hopefully they do right by you either way, though.

Last edited:

EthanMagicBands

Not gonna lie, sort of underwhelming

In my opinion the video did a very poor job at explaining how it works.

I find the value in the "game" itself, not in the trinkets they give you (although they are neat). If people are expecting to buy this to get $200 worth of merchandise, they will be underwhelmed. But the value you get from the entertainment of the game + the merch is what makes it worth it for me.

MrPromey

Not gonna lie, sort of underwhelming

Not that it'll change your mind but it appears they put an extraordinary amount of thought and design into this for it to be such a small run. As a consumer, $200 may seem like a lot but if this is truly the only run, as one third of the product, the amount of custom artwork, design, engineering, web/app programming, unique printing and "die" cuts (for things like the paper puzzle and the cardboard radio frame) that went into this offering would be difficult for most companies to pull off at this price point. That's why i'd say it's not overpriced (a rarity for me with things from Disney with anything pertaining to a theme park, these days).

As for the value, it's kind of a Wu Tang Clan - Once Upon a Time in Shaolin kind of thing. I guess we should be happy they made more than one in case Pharma Bro beat everyone to the ordering page. ;)

Last edited:

punkabella

Not that it'll change your mind but it appears they put an extraordinary amount of thought and design into this for it to be such a small run. As a consumer, $200 may seem like a lot but if this is truly the only run, as one third of the product, the amount of custom artwork, design, engineering, web/app programming, unique printing and "die" cuts (for things like the paper puzzle and the cardboard radio frame) that went into this offering would be difficult for most companies to pull off at this price point.

This. I thought this same thing. As a instructional designer, I could tell a lot of planning and thought went into the design and build of what was included. This level of planning and execution is what I wish we could get as the norm for the parks when new experiences and attractions are designed. I know the imagineers can do this on a larger scale, I just wish they were given the support from those above them to bring it to fruition in the parks all the time (without cuts along the way). Color me impressed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom