New entrance at DHS

Jim Chandler

There is no land to build on for DHS the land that is wetlands is on the opposite side of the parking area. They could do something between ToT & ARC where there is a small parking lot. Or they could use parking lot and make a parking garage. Otherwise I see little expansion at DHS

jt04

There is no land to build on for DHS the land that is wetlands is on the opposite side of the parking area. They could do something between ToT & ARC where there is a small parking lot. Or they could use parking lot and make a parking garage. Otherwise I see little expansion at DHS

All of WDW is built out of a "wet land". Not a problem.

Eeyore13

See the last three or four pages for explanations on how Disney builds on wetlands often.

maxairmike

Wasn't that for a direct route from Westbound Osceola into the DHS toll plaza?

No, that was going to be modifying the existing World Dr. exit ramp to split off down to the auto plaza, not another exit off of Osceola, from what I understand. This parcel clearing I'm talking about is noticeably rectangular and appeared to have some (maybe numerous) utility stub-outs.

luv

I'd love it if they moved the BAH and put it on the side of a road or something. But I can't see it happening. It'd be too good to be true.

themonkeyisthesultan

As for TDO not "going big", It's kinda looking like those days may be numbered. We may be entering a new golden era for WDW. The only thing that may hold it back, understandably, is the shear amount of things that need to be done. We have to be realistic in our expectations.

2021 is rapidly approaching. Hopefully, the bigwigs will want all the areas of WDW to be spectacular for its 50th anniversary.

RSoxNo1

There is nothing that officially says Studios expansion land is across World Drive. There is "buildable" land across World Drive, but it doesn't make sense to expand a park across a major roadway.
Roads can be moved easily, but at this point there are so many dead areas of that park it's not needed.

articos

Roads can be moved easily, but at this point there are so many dead areas of that park it's not needed.
That's true, but moving World Drive to bypass that section and allow more park space makes less sense than just utilizing the space that's adjacent to the park. Also more expensive and more RCID red tape to deal with that's not fun.;)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
That's true, but moving World Drive to bypass that section and allow more park space makes less sense than just utilizing the space that's adjacent to the park. Also more expensive and more RCID red tape to deal with that's not fun.;)
Moving a road is definitely cheaper than trying to make swampland NOT be swampland.

Goofyernmost

Moving a road is definitely cheaper than trying to make swampland NOT be swampland.
The whole damn place is swamp land. Why would this be any different. For some reason this topic made me remember a poster I had in my office years ago which read..."When you're up to your butt in Alligators, it's hard to remember that your original intention was to drain the swamp!" :D I always loved that saying, it it applied in so many cases.

Tom

Beta Return
Or...build a Parking Garage along the North Surface lot, and that entire south area becomes potential Park space ;).

Not necessarily. If you divert water, the land will naturally dry up. Then you remove the vegetation, add some soil stabilization (lime...not sure what they use in Florida), and off you go. That is an expensive process, but you also can't pave on top of unsuitable soil because the road/lot will fail immediately, since asphalt has zero structural properties. It's only as good as the subgrade it's place on.

Parking garages are one of the lest economical structures you can build. They cost a fortune, and nobody builds them unless they are literally landlocked. We've had clients buy additional parcels of property or pay $100,000 to stabilize soil with lime just so they could pave a lot instead of building a garage.

The whole damn place is swamp land. Why would this be any different. For some reason this topic made me remember a poster I had in my office years ago which read..."When you're up to your butt in Alligators, it's hard to remember that your original intention was to drain the swamp!" :D I always loved that saying, it it applied in so many cases.

Ha! Yes!

articos

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The bigger issue is what does that do for the project? In the case of DHS, the most effective use of the land across World Drive is actually to move certain aspects of back of house, then use the space from those buildings for the park. As far as moving World Drive, it's not something RCID/Disney wants to do unless absolutely necessary. You start to mess with the "feel" of that drive in to the property, which is a long straight-away laid out nearly perfectly in the early days. When you start to introduce odd feeling diversions in the road, it messes with the emotional chord that driving along World Drive was planned to give.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom