New Dumbo logging some big wait times

lebeau

But with two spinners, wasn't that to be expected? If it still only had one, we would still be looking at 30-45 minute waits based on that. The reality is that it is still the same ride, just doubled and plussed a little bit on the theme side. I'm pretty sure most of Disney's goal was to make the wait a little more reasonable by either a) shortening the wait or b) making it more bearable with the interactive queue. I don't think anyone expected any increased popularity, especially given its location off the beaten path now, but I would think that its numbers still have to be close.

I expected shorter waits. But this is not just a result of increased capacity. Dumbo had been logging waits of over an hour in the more central location. If you weren't there at opening, lines would climb rapidly. Now, it remains a walk-on through much of the morning. And it rarely ever creeps over 20 minutes.

I have been watching because our touring plan originally called for racing to Dumbo first thing. But now, we'll hold off. It is no longer the priority it once was.

RSoxNo1

You can say that again!

Jx5PV.jpg

It's funny, I haven't been on Dumbo in close to 20 years, and yet it's still how I refer to all the other rides. Dumbo with rockets instead, Dumbo with flying carpets instead, Dumbo with fish instead.
This amused me.

CaptainShortty

I also think that once the entire FLE is open well see those wait times climb up a little again. I think some people tend to forget about it because they have to walk to find it. When thats not the case I'd be interested to see if things change.

Scuttle

I feel this must be an error as I'm not sure if Dumbo, with two operating, can actually hold a 110 queue - sometimes wait times are updated automatically through FLIK cards (the red wait time necklaces) and if someone finds one on the ground and hands it in at the end and it gets scanned, it can mess up a wait time until it autocorrects.

That is very true. Someone could just turn in the wait necklaces and mess everything up. RFID will eliminate this and will make wait times extremely accurate. Which is one of the few things I like about the whole Next Gen Project.

RSoxNo1

That is very true. Someone could just turn in the wait necklaces and mess everything up. RFID will eliminate this and will make wait times extremely accurate. Which is one of the few things I like about the whole Next Gen Project.
Infra red technology at the standby and fastpass entrances and at the load gates of the rides will provide guests with the most accurate wait time info. They don't need the red cards at all. They need to know what the hourly capacity is, and they need to know how many people are in the queue. That's it.

Scuttle

Infra red technology at the standby and fastpass entrances and at the load gates of the rides will provide guests with the most accurate wait time info. They don't need the red cards at all. They need to know what the hourly capacity is, and they need to know how many people are in the queue. That's it.

True, but I think tracking people with RFID is a little more realistic. It wouldnt be as accurate, but still a lot better then the system now.

wdw71fan

I'd bet this Soarin' time was actually correct...during Xmas week Soarin' can have crazzzzzzy wait times

doubt it.. no way Soarin would have a 240 and LWTL is only a 10... Just the simple fact that guests would heard towards ANYTHING on a day when Soarin is a 240.... Likely just an error..

the system isn't perfect, but it's better than nothing at all :)

Neverland

I have been following the wait times via Lines the last couple of week. I had been hearing that Dumbo wasn't nearly as popular in its new location. To my amazement, I rarely see wait times of over 20 minutes any more.

It's not any less popular, but it's definitely taken a dive crowds-wise in its new location. Most people know about Fantasyland (Peter Pan, Pooh, etc.), but Storybook Circus is kind of in the middle of nowhere in the back of the park. Many guests aren't even aware that Dumbo moved, and just assume Disney got rid of it. Dumbo is still popular, just not as centrally located and a bit harder to find. The result is that only the dedicated find it, or guests stumble upon it by accident. I do see waits higher than 20 minutes, but usually it hovers around 30, rarely jumping up to 40.

(Also, with the two spinners and capacity doubled, 20 minutes at new Dumbo is essentially 40 minutes at old Dumbo! ;) )

Yodadudeman

240 minutes for Soarin?? Not to sound dumb but thats four hours!! Four hours?!?! Thats definately an error. Where would all of those people wait? The line isnt that long!!

Flip83

240 minutes for Soarin?? Not to sound dumb but thats four hours!! Four hours?!?! Thats definately an error. Where would all of those people wait? The line isnt that long!!

The stand by wait for soaring always feels FOREVER long, but 4 hours is insane haha. That would be up the escalator and outside. No way. An hour for soaring is easy though. I am pretty sure I have never done soarin in standy by unless it was extra magic hours, which it was under 30 minutes

Patricia Melton

We were at HS ready to use our FPs for TSM- the standby wait time was listed as 50 mins. We practically walked right on using our FPs, and when we exited the attraction, the CM at the entrance beckoned us over and told us we should ride again standby because there was "no wait". We did, and were in and out in less than 20 minutes. When we left the attraction, the standby time was listed at 60 minutes.

I think there is some manipulation of the wait times to foster crowd control.

Someone who studies crowds and has a psych degree would find a great project studying this. I bet they do post high wait times here and there to discourage people from getting on a certain ride, maybe to make them go over to another area of the park that is less full.

My husband was in the restaurant business for many years and the hostesses and reservation takers would do things like this....even if the place had no one on the books at say 8pm, they'd say that time was full because they'd want people to come earlier since on certain night it was always guaranteed to be busy at 8pm but it would be dead at 6pm. The 8pm tables would fill up naturally with walk-ins but people calling to make reservations would be told that 8pm was fully booked and so they'd just come earlier. The restaurant thus had many more customers than it would have otherwise.

Wonder if by saying Dumbo has a 110 minute wait that people will go over to something in Tomorrowland that needs more riders because it's running half empty or something.

I am sure Disney has perfected this stuff to a science in terms of crowd control and manipulation of guest psychology.

RSoxNo1

I think there is some manipulation of the wait times to foster crowd control.

Someone who studies crowds and has a psych degree would find a great project studying this. I bet they do post high wait times here and there to discourage people from getting on a certain ride, maybe to make them go over to another area of the park that is less full.

My husband was in the restaurant business for many years and the hostesses and reservation takers would do things like this....even if the place had no one on the books at say 8pm, they'd say that time was full because they'd want people to come earlier since on certain night it was always guaranteed to be busy at 8pm but it would be dead at 6pm. The 8pm tables would fill up naturally with walk-ins but people calling to make reservations would be told that 8pm was fully booked and so they'd just come earlier. The restaurant thus had many more customers than it would have otherwise.

Wonder if by saying Dumbo has a 110 minute wait that people will go over to something in Tomorrowland that needs more riders because it's running half empty or something.

I am sure Disney has perfected this stuff to a science in terms of crowd control and manipulation of guest psychology.
Do you "think" that part of the Next Gen experience will be an attempt to manipulate guests so that they go towards an attraction with a lower wait? It seems that previous attempts to do this (inflating wait times on signage and surprise fast passes) haven't really been successful.

The best way to distribute crowds is to spread out the quality attractions. There's a reason Sunset Boulevard is always crowded, it's a highly detailed environment, with two of the biggest attractions in the park. Telling someone at Sunset Boulevard that they have a Surprise Fastpass for Lights Motors Action isn't going to have the same effect as having a comparable ride to RnR and/or ToT in the place currently occupied by Lights Motors Action.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom