Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

jaklgreen

Exactly! Like I said, this was one thing they should've left alone, all they did was make a huge headache and stress for their already underpaid CM's so the can profitize on G+.

Also, I keep hearing the word "abuse" but what is defined as "abuse?" Is it a case by case grey area where a CM without the need of a DAS tells other paying people that they abused the service? I just don't understand what behavior from a person with DAS would indicate abuse? Running? Drinking alcohol? Riding Space Mountain? How is this measured and who is the judge to place a lifetime ban for something so grey?
I imagine that they could see if someone got a DAS return time for a ride and then went into another long standby line. Although they claim that doing so is within their rules, a person is supposed to be getting DAS because they can not wait a long period of time in lines.
But then you have the outliers where some people will be having a good day and wait in line not wanting to feel like they are abusing the system.
If they really wanted to they could track your movements. I am sure that if they mapped out my movements, they will absolutely see that I spend a good chunk of time just wandering around and going to the restroom.

Purduevian

Also, I keep hearing the word "abuse" but what is defined as "abuse?" Is it a case by case grey area where a CM without the need of a DAS tells other paying people that they abused the service? I just don't understand what behavior from a person with DAS would indicate abuse? Running? Drinking alcohol? Riding Space Mountain? How is this measured and who is the judge to place a lifetime ban for something so grey?

In this case, I DAS abuse would refer to a person or group that does not have a condition that prohibits them from waiting in a long line and knowing this, gets DAS in order to gain an advantage in their park day.

There is really only 3 ways to reduce the amount of people abusing DAS in this way.
  1. Make it difficult or impossible for abusers to recieve a DAS pass
  2. Diminish the advantages that DAS provides over a non-DAS guest
  3. Increase the efforts to find and ban those that abuse DAS

AEfx

Original Poster
I think people with a disability should get some degree of "advantage". Someone in a wheelchair for example might not be able to do rope drop easily, takes longer to navigate the park, takes longer to do common things like use the bathroom, etc.

By all means, let them wait a bit less in line than the rest of us.

The issue however, is that when an advantage is provided, many people will cheat the system. This makes it worse for everyone. I remember hearing how the wheelchair line at the exit of Pirates in Disneyland was longer than standby wait times for example. How many people inflated that by renting a wheelchair because it was a known "hack"?

So how do you provide that advantage, which would ideally make things close to equitable on the whole, when proof cannot be required and people will cheat the system?

This is a great post, and especially thank you for pointing out the bolded. Back in the day of GAS, that's pretty much exactly what happened when we would bring a relative who is unable to walk/stand and has a wheelchair. It basically let us see that same 7-8 attraction average as everyone else. Yes, on some rides it did save some time, - but with something like a "quick bathroom break" taking the better part of an hour (locating a companion bathroom, and so on) and just how long it takes to move from place to place, it pretty much balanced out.

Also of note, is that for a lot of attractions (even newer built ones), it's just easier for Disney to have alternate boarding for wheelchairs (at the exit, etc.) than mainstreaming them into queues. There are definitely attractions we would have preferred to go through the queue, we just weren't allowed (and then when they did away with us needing a GAS at all, basically "your wheelchair is your pass").

In any case - I also agree, I think in general far more people were abusing the system than it seems others here want to believe. It's very odd how we have one group of people arguing that there really wasn't much abuse to begin with, and another arguing that this will do nothing about the problem.

This absolutely will counter a lot of the casual abuse, even if it won't stop those truly bad actors who will go to the length of truly faking something with a doctors note. I really think people underestimate the casual abuse and (like the comparison I made earlier with how self-checkout at stores made theft soar), and how many more people were able to justify just having to "fib" that my kid can't wait in long lines...versus those that are willing to take the step to get fake documentation.

Ayla

Well for me, Genie+ only lets you get on a ride one time per day and the time slots are limited. I don't go on every ride and basically stick to the same few, like People Mover and Living With the Land. Only being able to go on a ride one time would pretty much cut my day in 1/2. Those with disabilities are supposed to be able to access everything just like everyone else. And Genie+ definitely does not do that.
People Mover doesn't have Genie+, so you're standing in line, regardless.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The law requires reasonable accommodation. If someone has mobility issues with no other issues, why wouldn't access to a wheelchair be a reasonable accommodation? Most attraction queues can accommodate wheelchairs and ECVs

Because 'not being able to stand in line for 90mins' is not the same thing as "I need a wheelchair full time"

In my case, I have multiple back injuries that make standing for long periods, especially with little movement, painful and difficult. But at the same time, sitting for long periods w/o movement also is difficult. So things like sitting on the F! bleachers... killer. Standing in place for fireworks for 60+mins.. killer. Having to sit in a wheelchair all day would be killer. But if I need a wheelchair to deal with a queue... that means I have this huge ball and chain to carry around full time... and limit all of my mobility all the time.. instead of a simpler solution of "just let me sit down when I need to or let me move around".

Forcing people to use ECVs or wheelchairs is not a good outcome because those things are HUGE nuisances - to both those using it and those around them.

For me, most of the time I am able to compensate in queues by being able to lean against something, which takes the pressure off my back. But issues like the parks removing seating everywhere have been a very significant problem for me and highly noticeable. I've never requested or attempted getting a GAC or DAS.... but situations like the fireworks have really tempted me because being able to have a place to sit and wait would be a game changer and avoid so much of my pain.

But if you told me "just take a wheelchair" - I'd be like "YOU try taking a wheelchair around a theme park full time and tell me how it made things more enjoyable..."

The return to queue concept can speak to someone like my needs... but I really gotta see how they do this. The scale at which people will try to use it just seems untenable.

I'd be happy if Disney just stopped taking benches out of everywhere and didn't make finding a place to sit such an adventure. If I can moderate my back strain, I can keep it from getting to the breaking point where I take hours to recover.

DavidDL

Saw this today, wasn't sure if it's been discussed here yet. Sorry if I'm late to the party.

Screenshot 2024-04-10 100815.png

With everything that's been announced/discussed I suppose my question would be: if we have individuals in our party with lung transplants, fibrosis and who are immunodeficient (thus, unable to go very far for very long), would they now be excluded from DAS and told to simply buy/bring a wheelchair? They don't have any sort of neurological disorder but given their conditions, experiencing the parks can be a little bit rough.

Trauma

Saw this today, wasn't sure if it's been discussed here yet. Sorry if I'm late to the party.

View attachment 778402

With everything that's been announced/discussed I suppose my question would be: if we have individuals in our party with lung transplants, fibrosis and who are immunodeficient (thus, unable to go very far for very long), would they now be excluded from DAS and told to simply buy/bring a wheelchair? They don't have any sort of neurological disorder but given their conditions, experiencing the parks can be a little bit rough.
Lung transplants ? Can’t breathe?

Who cares.

Get in line until they almost collapse. Then get out of line and rest. Rinse and repeat.

Have a magical day !

Vclguy90

I imagine that they could see if someone got a DAS return time for a ride and then went into another long standby line. Although they claim that doing so is within their rules, a person is supposed to be getting DAS because they can not wait a long period of time in lines.
But then you have the outliers where some people will be having a good day and wait in line not wanting to feel like they are abusing the system.
If they really wanted to they could track your movements. I am sure that if they mapped out my movements, they will absolutely see that I spend a good chunk of time just wandering around and going to the restroom.
Yea but the area of error just seems so vast. For instance, if a person needs to avoid lines and large masses of people by not waiting in line but yet has to wait in a large mass of people for fireworks because DAS is not offered for that. Are they abusing the service?

I am a visitor from UK,
I am disabled and have a parking permit and in receipt of government allowances.
I have been to the parks over the past 24 years regularly and I must say if you need a mobility scooter or wheelchair then you must have your own. Not one for just a day at the theme parks or a rental for your vacation, so perhaps Disney should not rent ECVS and Wheelchairs without medical evidence.
Without Das pass for myself I will not be able to access any of the rides, and if the person with das pass was genuine there are rides you shouldn't be going on.
LOOKS LIKE 2023 WAS MY KAST DISNEY VACATION.....NO DAS THEN DISNEY REDUCE PRICE OF ADMISSION TO DISABLED guests.

Chip Chipperson

Because 'not being able to stand in line for 90mins' is not the same thing as "I need a wheelchair full time"

In my case, I have multiple back injuries that make standing for long periods, especially with little movement, painful and difficult. But at the same time, sitting for long periods w/o movement also is difficult. So things like sitting on the F! bleachers... killer. Standing in place for fireworks for 60+mins.. killer. Having to sit in a wheelchair all day would be killer. But if I need a wheelchair to deal with a queue... that means I have this huge ball and chain to carry around full time... and limit all of my mobility all the time.. instead of a simpler solution of "just let me sit down when I need to or let me move around".

Forcing people to use ECVs or wheelchairs is not a good outcome because those things are HUGE nuisances - to both those using it and those around them.

For me, most of the time I am able to compensate in queues by being able to lean against something, which takes the pressure off my back. But issues like the parks removing seating everywhere have been a very significant problem for me and highly noticeable. I've never requested or attempted getting a GAC or DAS.... but situations like the fireworks have really tempted me because being able to have a place to sit and wait would be a game changer and avoid so much of my pain.

But if you told me "just take a wheelchair" - I'd be like "YOU try taking a wheelchair around a theme park full time and tell me how it made things more enjoyable..."

The return to queue concept can speak to someone like my needs... but I really gotta see how they do this. The scale at which people will try to use it just seems untenable.

I'd be happy if Disney just stopped taking benches out of everywhere and didn't make finding a place to sit such an adventure. If I can moderate my back strain, I can keep it from getting to the breaking point where I take hours to recover.
I actually did have to deal with a wheelchair on my last trip when a family member injured her foot. No, it's not fun pushing a wheelchair but it's also not a legal requirement for Disney to accommodate every issue under the sun. "I can but it isn't fun" doesn't rise to the level of Disney having to accommodate a guest via DAS, in my opinion. My father had multiple back fusion surgeries later in his life, so I can certainly sympathize with such a situation but how can Disney reasonably tell a guest who doesn't need a wheelchair full-time they can have DAS while someone who needs a wheelchair to even navigate the park is SOL? It's dicey and they have to draw the line somewhere. More seating would be wonderful, though - both in and out of the queues. Maybe this DAS change will lead to that in a butterfly effect way.

Last edited:

ChrisM

This is purely anecdotal, but I had never paid any attention to DAS use prior to my trip this past December (the week prior to Christmas).

But I was really surprised how many people were accessing LL queues during both MVMCP and Jollywood Nights - so much so that there were significant standby backups due to LL priority (notably at Space Mountain and Smuggler's Run).

While being held at the merge point in the MF:SR queue I asked the CM and she confirmed all of the LL entrants she was letting in were DAS users. Perhaps not my finest moment but I may have said "That many?!" a little loudly.

And while I absolutely agree that accommodations should be made, it was really hard not to feel a bit judgmental as several fairly large groups of giggling adolescents literally ran past us in the LL queue for Space Mountain.

jaklgreen

Yea but the area of error just seems so vast. For instance, if a person needs to avoid lines and large masses of people by not waiting in line but yet has to wait in a large mass of people for fireworks because DAS is not offered for that. Are they abusing the service?
I agree with you. There is no clear and definitive way that they could prove someone was lying unless they overhead them bragging about it.

J4546

yeah ive seen it too many times to count where groups of like 8+ people running by you again and again and again. I know a lot of people need DAS but because integrity is not a thing anymore with alot of people and they abuse it so Disney has to clamp down.

JohnD

Its out of hand now...this had to be done.
I made a similar comment on a FB group that this is the fault of the abusers. Didn't matter. "Disney is a multi-billion dollar company. They can eat the money. They're taking it out on the rest of us." Of course, everyone has their song and dance as to why they're entitled to it. Frankly, I don't know who is and who isn't and won't even try. But it's the same thing every time DAS is addressed.

Disstevefan1

This is very very similar to a family member of mine, in addition to back surgeries, also COPD and kidney issues. Pre pandemic always qualified, now attempting this past February NOPE. And it looks like under the new system, its also going to be a big ol' NOPE.

Well, the good thig is there is one less "cheater" getting a return time.......

nickys

Premium Member
I am a visitor from UK,
I am disabled and have a parking permit and in receipt of government allowances.
I have been to the parks over the past 24 years regularly and I must say if you need a mobility scooter or wheelchair then you must have your own. Not one for just a day at the theme parks or a rental for your vacation, so perhaps Disney should not rent ECVS and Wheelchairs without medical evidence.
Without Das pass for myself I will not be able to access any of the rides, and if the person with das pass was genuine there are rides you shouldn't be going on.
LOOKS LIKE 2023 WAS MY KAST DISNEY VACATION.....NO DAS THEN DISNEY REDUCE PRICE OF ADMISSION TO DISABLED guests.
Some people may not need a wheelchair in their day to day life, but need one in a theme park where they are doing a lot more walking than usual.

It is possible to rent one for the duration of your stay from a number of local companies, who will deliver it to your resort and collect it again at the end of your stay. That might be better than renting one each day from Disney because you can use it outside the parks too.

Unless you are unable to transfer from a wheelchair, just about all rides are accessible. Most ride queues are accessible and those that aren’t have an alternative entrance that a CM will direct you to.

Don’t rule out a return trip until you can speak to someone and find out more. Disney will surely release some information soon to their own travel agency. 🤞🤞

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom