New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

mickEblu

Tons of families use rider swap on a regular basis, and spend time separated from each other. It’s completely typical- and for the person who requires DAS, they’d be able to spend their time exactly as they do now, along with two other family members (unless they change it, rider swap has been for 3 people) while the rest of the party waits in the standby queue. Families with babies, kids who are afraid, or don’t meet height requirements spend many trips this way and it isn’t some ridiculous imposition. Whether intended or not, DAS-using guests have found themselves in a far superior situation regarding parks experience compared to the non-DAS guest.

Personally, it reminds me of the switch from FP+ to my post-pandemic park experiences. We are FP+ pros, were able to use all our experience and knowledge to leverage it to our best advantage, and never had to wait on a standby line longer than about 10 minutes. We went to the parks in the transitional, pre G+, standby only era, and that was great too. Once genie was implemented, our experience became much less enjoyable to us, who had learned to navigate the FP+ system in a way that seems VERY similar to how DAS users (and more importantly their extended parties) experience the parks now. I understand why those who currently have that experience (in a park where non DAS guests are increasingly disgruntled about their own experiences) are concerned -because their experience will be degraded- but we already experienced that same disappointment from degradation.

We changed our habit from going 2x a year (from NY) to every other year because it’s just not as enjoyable to us anymore. The new DAS guidelines may cause some people to make the same choice - but these new rules will also leave everyone with DAS in the same place they had been- just not their extended parties.

It appears that some guests got used to being “more equal” than others. Disney has gone above and beyond, creating a superior experience for those who qualify honestly as well as those who cheated it. This new system truly “levels the playing field” and allows those who need DAS equal access as opposed to superior access.

My wife and I use rider switch all the time but we refer to it as “child switch.” We only use it on a couple select attractions a day where my daughter is too short to ride but my son can get on. For a couple rides a day it’s not really a big deal but I’d imagine if you have to separate from your family for every ride that would get old pretty fast.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
But nearly everyone seems to think the status quo should still apply to them.

Agree with you there. They seem to make this mistake fairly often.

I don’t think that’s fair. I think the lack of information is causing the anxiety about the new system, and (outside of autism families) knows where they stand. We’re not theme park operators. It’s hard to predict what’s coming next from Disney.

I think what you’re seeing is just unsettled people waiting for the other shoe to drop. and because life has dumped on them so much already, i think a lot of posters are expecting the other shoe to be a giant turd.

Disney should have rolled out more complete messaging

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I struggle with this. On the one hand, there’s so many things i cannot do now that I’m disabled. Things i really loved to do and i miss. I’m so grateful Disney has accommodated us so that it’s not one of the things i have to miss. So i can see that magical Joy and wonder on my daughters face as she grows up. But if Disney had not offered the accommodations it would have just been added to the heartbreaking list of things i can no longer do. The places i can no longer go. And it would REALLY suck, but my condition itself really sucks so I’m kinda used to it. I guess at the end of the day I’m just really really grateful Disney gave us so many experiences that i didn’t have to miss out on after i became disabled. If that goes away, that will suck. But, like my health, it was a gift given freely, but not promised forever.

I think you’ve been in the reasonable middle on this.

I don’t have a problem with Disney providing you or anyone accomodation/access. That isn’t really debatable.

But since I admitted didn’t know anything about DAS and I’m researching…I wonder how much the abuse level is?

The suggestion has been made that 3/4 of all lighting lane entrants are DAS?

If that’s even close that’s a problem. It means Disney isn’t selling a lot…which is huge for them

And it also explains the resentment growing from the standby line and the scheming - if true?

Access is 100% fair. But “it should be customed tailored to each person 100% to what they think is reasonable” is just not feasible

I’ve already 5+ conditions being suggested used to circumvent the lines with DAS…on brief internet searches or by my contacts first hand.

That’s a two fold problem for Disney

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I think you’ve been in the reasonable middle on this.

I don’t have a problem with Disney providing you or anyone accomodation/access. That isn’t really debatable.

But since I admitted didn’t know anything about DAS and I’m researching…I wonder how much the abuse level is?

The suggestion has been made that 3/4 of all lighting lane entrants are DAS?

If that’s even close that’s a problem. It means Disney isn’t selling a lot…which is huge for them

And it also explains the resentment growing from the standby line and the scheming - if true?

Access is 100% fair. But “it should be customed tailored to each person 100% to what they think is reasonable” is just not feasible

I’ve already 5+ conditions being suggested used to circumvent the lines with DAS…on brief internet searches or by my contacts first hand.

That’s a two fold problem for Disney

It was a more even playing field with FP+, when everyone could prebook rides and everyone could Go on their app and Get ride after ride reserved. Or the same ride Over and Over.

DAS hasn’t really changed, but the guest experience has. They’ve taken some really key things away from the typical guest, and haven’t done the same for DAS.

That’s where the resentment started, imo.

Then you add in the tiktok hack’s and tour group’s and all the other people sharing key words to get DAS. 5 years ago i didn’t even know there was a disability program, but now it comes up in video shorts and Disney blogs fairly regularly. It’s drawing attention because it so has those key things the typical guest no longer has.

The resentment will keep building if they don’t do something. This isn’t sustainable.

But for people who really need it, it kinda really bites not knowing what you’ll be approved for until 30 days out.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They can easily identify cast members who utilize DAS. However it’s no easier to determine if they are abusing the system than it is with any other guest.

Yeah, but if someone who say... works attractions and therefore is out standing in lines and crowds for hours at a time... and then tries to claim they can't stand in lines or enclosed spaces for developmental issues... I think it would be kinda easy to flag such an intersection for further scrutiny.

Unlike regular customers, CMs are also using a company provided privilege when accessing the park. They are employees using an employer provided benefit. I would wager in those conditions the company would be allowed to cross-reference the information they have about the employee and their requests for DAS accommodations... and escalate to the proper department to look further if desired.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was a more even playing field with FP+, when everyone could prebook rides and everyone could Go on their app and Get ride after ride reserved. Or the same ride Over and Over.

DAS hasn’t really changed, but the guest experience has. They’ve taken some really key things away from the typical guest, and haven’t done the same for DAS.

That’s where the resentment started, imo.

Then you add in the tiktok hack’s and tour group’s and all the other people sharing key words to get DAS. 5 years ago i didn’t even know there was a disability program, but now it comes up in video shorts and Disney blogs fairly regularly. It’s drawing attention because it so has those key things the typical guest no longer has.

The resentment will keep building if they don’t do something. This isn’t sustainable.

But for people who really need it, it kinda really bites not knowing what you’ll be approved for until 30 days out.
I get you there

Th Problem is fastpass plus didn’t work well…at all…

And they had to kill it for that reason. Then they decided the replacement had to be monetized.

I’ll keep saying it: the problem is they don’t have enough to do to place an average sized crowd. It’s the only reason any access system is being schemed or drawing resentment

peter11435

Actually I would think they would know if one of their employees has a disability since it would affect their work? Or am I just naive?🤷🏻‍♀️
They would only need to know about an employees disability if it was related to their job. If it has no impact on their ability to perform their role the employer has no need or right to know. Disney employs tens of thousands of people and not all work outside, in crowds, in theme parks, or standing up.

And… a cast member utilizing/abusing the DAS system may be using the system for someone in their traveling party and not themselves.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Actually I would think they would know if one of their employees has a disability since it would affect their work? Or am I just naive?🤷🏻‍♀️

I was originally going to reply that they couldn’t ban CMs from DAS because how could they know. But then my mind went here too. Like if you can run the 7DMT ride, you can wait in its queue. If you can stand all day in the crowd seeing balloons, you could wait in the JC line.

I suppose it would at least be easier for them to figure out with CMs than it could with guests

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Yeah, but if someone who say... works attractions and therefore is out standing in lines and crowds for hours at a time... and then tries to claim they can't stand in lines or enclosed spaces for developmental issues... I think it would be kinda easy to flag such an intersection for further scrutiny.

Unlike regular customers, CMs are also using a company provided privilege when accessing the park. They are employees using an employer provided benefit. I would wager in those conditions the company would be allowed to cross-reference the information they have about the employee and their requests for DAS accommodations... and escalate to the proper department to look further if desired.

Now that I’m thinking about it though, if i were gaming the system I’d have someone else in my party get the DAS instead of me so they couldn’t argue that.

Angel Ariel

Disney really should allow for refunds if people are denied access to DAS. Since tickets need to be purchased and linked before being able to do the DAS call, if a person is denied they should not be forced to incur that financial penalty if their decision is that they can no longer go to the park if the accommodation provided doesn't meet their need.

peter11435

Like I said, the cast member may be requesting DAS for a child, spouse, or other relative or acquaintance.

The majority of cast members do not work attractions.

Whatever medical diagnosis Disneys health services department may be aware of for a particular cast member.. that Information would not and should not be available to other employees in the company.

Happyday

They would only need to know about an employees disability if it was related to their job. If it has no impact on their ability to perform their role the employer has no need or right to know. Disney employs tens of thousands of people and not all work outside, in crowds, in theme parks, or standing up.

And… a cast member utilizing/abusing the DAS system may be using the system for someone in their traveling party and not themselves.
True and yes there are some jobs that don't require certain things but most people if they have those issues let the employer know proactively. If it is someone in their family it wouldn't be them with it so...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom