New "Caring for Giants" $30.00 Experience Debuts at Animal Kingdom on March 12 2017

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
A new viewing area?

I felt the safari had been seriously compromised already. Too many viewing and trek areas. The sense of being on a wide open plain or isolated forest in Africa is all but destroyed when the horizon does not fade off into the distance, but onto a platform filled with upcharge event theme park tourists.
If the viewing area impedes on the regular safari then it will suck. If Its hidden from view then good .

KevinYee

I found myself skeptical, but during a friends and family preview enjoyed it. Your new platform is behind the baobob where the elephant "bathing" pool is. We could see the trucks, so yes, they could see us.

16807592_1336175069807522_1112404083076167641_n.jpg

When we went, we had a good view of about five elephants, including the most recent baby. We saw juvenile males tussling. I think what I didn't realize was how different it is from the safari truck, which is essentially in constant motion. Here, we had 20 minutes or so to just watch (and further minutes up the path where you could watch at a slightly longer distance).

The drive through backstage to Werike Road was interesting. While I've seen some of backstage DAK on the full marathon, I saw other parts of the perimeter road this way, and the parking lot where we started had some startling views of Pandora. No backstage pics were allowed.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I found myself skeptical, but during a friends and family preview enjoyed it. Your new platform is behind the baobob where the elephant "bathing" pool is. We could see the trucks, so yes, they could see us.

When we went, we had a good view of about five elephants, including the most recent baby. We saw juvenile males tussling. I think what I didn't realize was how different it is from the safari truck, which is essentially in constant motion. Here, we had 20 minutes or so to just watch (and further minutes up the path where you could watch at a slightly longer distance).

The drive through backstage to Werike Road was interesting. While I've seen some of backstage DAK on the full marathon, I saw other parts of the perimeter road this way, and the parking lot where we started had some startling views of Pandora. No backstage pics were allowed.
That looks to be faily well placed tbh.

KevinYee

Forgot to add that my skepticism at first was about the distance. You're closer than that at Busch Gardens, where you also have the luxury of staying as long as you want. But the animals simply behaved differently at DAK; it was more interesting. One hesitates to anthropomorphize, but they seemed happier at DAK just because they were more active.

The Empress Lilly

If I'm positive:

- This sort of experience is exactly what DAK should be all about! Animals, calm reflection, cultural representatives, a focus on a Disney as 'exquisite placemaking' rather than Disney as 'meet your favourite celeb toon character!' I would be genuinely excited about doing this tour.
- Tours are not upcharge events.
- I've always regretted that you can see many of the most charismatic animals only for twelve seconds from the discomfort of the truck. Whereas this tour allows for an up and close viewing with African elephants. Animals which, by their size and need for vast territory, are either absent from most zoos or miserably unhappy there.

If I'm negative:

- Why should it not be included in admission? If this is what DAK is all about, then why should it not be included? Lest we forget, even without any upcharge a WDW day is a fantastically expensive expenditure. Why should every experience be an extra charge?
- When the extraordinary becomes upcharged, nothing extraordinary will eventually be designed as included. One day, you will need to buy the $69.95 lightsaber to trigger any of the fun stuff at SWLand. (With an in-built chip that makes the saber valid for just 14 weeks, just like your cup)
- At the two treks there are animal experts explaining what's on view. Around DAK and World Showcase there are cultural representatives eager to share their culture with you. I learned all about Indo-European Hindi and Sanskrit right at DAK. Plus some Indian dance moves that give me immense swag on the dance floor! All of this is...normal. This is a premium and hugely expensive theme park.
- This further undermines the safari from an artistic and immersive perspective:

My thoughts exactly. I don't care that this costs $30, I care that it ruins a ride.
This could serve as an allegory for what happened to all of WDW: you build something exquisite, then you destroy it piece by tiny piece for a few pennies more, every quarter.

The Safari is one of WDW's crowning achievements. They had made their little Florida swamp look like you are riding out of the Congo forest onto the East African open plain. Yet, when you ride it now, you now have amateur Tarzans overhead on the rope bridge, there are viewing platforms everywhere, the view of the plain gives out on a platform filled with those people who look like they live in a trailer park but who fill up the luxury resorts and upcharge events.

You feel hemmed in. The illusion is shattered. It is still a good ride, but, similar to what has happened with EPCOT, Kilimanjaro risks going from a deep primal sensation to a fun theme park experience. The difference is subtle, very difficult to articulate, but somewhere along the way an elusive essence can be lost, with neither management nor most guests understanding or even being aware of what happened.

Last edited:

JohnD

Horrors! It's not like you're in a fictional land and seeing "backstage" ruins it for you. You're on a Savannah where seeing other trucks/jeeps isn't unusual.

raven

Another day, another up charge attraction / event.
#yawn
....or for no extra charge and included in park admission, you could go down the road a bit to Busch Gardens and see the elephants and trainers from 15 FEET AWAY as you walk from one place to the next. The trainers give talks and facts about elephants and they don't charge anything.

Pretty soon Disney will be charging for air.

CaptainAmerica

$30 to get within 100 feet of elephants? My inner cynic says that $25 is the entrance fee of my local zoo where I get to within 10 feet of elephants for as long as I want, but ok. For Disney this sounds not overtly outrageous (which is as good of a compliment as modern WDW is likely to receive). If it's a bit similar to Behind the Seeds I might have to check it out one day.

Just because the cynicism is strong in this one: a viewing platform with an African cultural representative explaining what you see and relating stories about Disney and back home is exactly what you get at the Animal Kingdom Lodge viewing areas, for free.
Your local zoo is $25? That's crazy talk.

I'll be doing this for sure as soon as my daughter is old enough. Sounds like Behind the Seeds but with elephants.

CaptainAmerica

....or for no extra charge and included in park admission, you could go down the road a bit to Busch Gardens and see the elephants and trainers from 15 FEET AWAY as you walk from one place to the next. The trainers give talks and facts about elephants and they don't charge anything.
I mean, you know Disney does that too, right? With their gorillas, Komodo dragons, lions, tapirs, fruit bats, etc. There's no way for it to work with most of the safari animals though. You either get the safari or your get walk-by viewing of the animals. You don't get both.

The Empress Lilly

Your local zoo is $25? That's crazy talk.
Bronx Zoo: Adult 13 & over $24.95

Chicago Lincoln Park Zoo: free!

Miami Zoo: Adult (13+) $21.95

I think WDW's exorbitant, even obscene, prices have skewed perspective on what a family outing costs, exactly. Surprisingly, you can take a family of four to world class museums and zoos in America for less than $100 for the entire family, entire day, including snacks.
After all, $100 after taxes and bills, that is a lot of work for that object of ridicule of modern American culture: a hard working middle class family.

wannabeBelle

Why not do the same with Keys to the Kingdom too?

I think this tour may be a little expensive for what it is, it can't take more than an hour so $15 seems more reasonable. But also there wouldn't be space for every guest in the park to take part, same as wild africa, keys to the kingdom and all the other tours.
Keys to the Kingdom is now over $100. It was just under $90 dollars with the AP discount. Marie

CaptainAmerica

Bronx Zoo: Adult 13 & over $24.95

Chicago Lincoln Park Zoo: free!

Miami Zoo: Adult (13+) $21.95

I think WDW's exorbitant, even obscene, prices have skewed perspective on what a family outing costs, exactly. Surprisingly, you can take a family of four to world class museums and zoos in America for less than $100 for the entire family, entire day, including snacks.
After all, $100 after taxes and bills, that is a lot of work for that object of ridicule of modern American culture: a hard working middle class family.
I wasn't remarking that your zoo seemed cheep, it seemed expensive. My zoo is $15 and we pay $150 for a full year of family membership, including two free guests per visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom