Never have I ever

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Never have I ever went to Universal. Well things just might change when we head back down next year. The thing is I have 3 boys who are Potter fans. BTW one of them is over ..... let's just say he's my dh. We've read about the place and the only things we really need to do are Potter and minions. How much time are we really going to need? We are going in summer if that makes any difference. Can it be done in one day? With park hopper. Or should we do 2 day? Hop or not? How much money are we going to need for spending not including food and tickets. My youngest is going to want a wand. What other stuff is there to buy? Sorry for soooooo many questions! THNX Figgy

sheriffwoody

I can't answer all your questions, but they're going to LOVE it if they're big Harry Potter fans. I teared up when I first went in Hogsmeade...it feels so much like you just stepped foot inside the books.

We went for 2 days, and still didn't do everything. But if you're ok skipping stuff, one day might be enough. Last time we went, we only wanted to see the new Diagon Alley stuff, so we were only there half a day. With it being summer, lines will be long :( We got in right as they opened and still waited over 30 minutes for Gringott's, and when we left there Minions was already way over an hour wait.

I can't remember how much the wands are because I couldn't bring myself to spend money on one, but you're going to want some butterbeer! Or a couple...or three.... I think they're like $4. So worth it. Pumpkin juice is delicious too.

Can't wait to read what everyone else says! I wish we could go again this trip, but we don't care to do enough of the non Harry Potter stuff to justify it.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I can't answer all your questions, but they're going to LOVE it if they're big Harry Potter fans. I teared up when I first went in Hogsmeade...it feels so much like you just stepped foot inside the books.

We went for 2 days, and still didn't do everything. But if you're ok skipping stuff, one day might be enough. Last time we went, we only wanted to see the new Diagon Alley stuff, so we were only there half a day. With it being summer, lines will be long :( We got in right as they opened and still waited over 30 minutes for Gringott's, and when we left there Minions was already way over an hour wait.

I can't remember how much the wands are because I couldn't bring myself to spend money on one, but you're going to want some butterbeer! Or a couple...or three.... I think they're like $4. So worth it. Pumpkin juice is delicious too.

Can't wait to read what everyone else says! I wish we could go again this trip, but we don't care to do enough of the non Harry Potter stuff to justify it.
Thanks so much!

Tinkerkelle

We did 3 days at Uni on our last trip and 10 at Disney. We were staying onsite so got the unlimited express passes which were fab. Offsite, you have to pay extra for a set of single use express passes so that soon mounts up for multiple people and HP doesn't have express pass lines anyway. We got there early for early entry into hogsmeade and went straight to forbidden journey then multiple rides on hippogriff. If DA is your priority, get to US early to be through turnstiles first and head straight there or many say late evening is also manageable as many start here and have moved on by then. Minions is always busy due to low capacity but is so much fun. There was a minion waiting for photos at the end of the ride, which I think is common, then you exit to a minion gift shop!

I also have 3 boys (8, 11 and 39 this trip!!) Don't discount the other attractions. This trip we are splitting our stay 50/50-7 nights at HRH at Uni and 7 at Contemporary because the boys just loved the theming and rides at Uni and we want to do Seaworld and Aquatica this time too. Springfield is brilliant and who doesn't love Dr Seuss and Marvel superheroes? I love WDW but Uni has a lot going for it. There are websites that do crowd calendars for Uni like they do for WDW and can recommend best days in the summer and could give you an idea of crowds.

The interactive wands sound fun but are expensive ($50+?) There are standard wands that are less and so many to choose from. I second butterbeer (we prefer frozen) but get one to try it as it's very sweet. There are so many shops to browse that a HP fan could come home ready for their first day at Hogwarts!! Uniforms, robes, howlers that you can record your own message on, stationery, stuffed toys, Weasley's jokes...and lots of delicious snacks and sweets.:greedy: Have a fab time.:)

JediMasterMatt

The first thing to determine is if you are also interested in doing the rest of the attractions that Universal Studios Orlando and Islands of Adventure have to offer. That will weigh heavily into your decision making process as the amount of time requires to experience it all will increase significantly.

If you are ONLY interested in all things Potter and not the rest, then I would recommend staying at the Cabana Bay resort as it offers early entry into at least one of the Potter zones. If you are wanting to take advantage of the rest of the world class attractions at the two parks (YOU SHOULD), then I would strongly recommend staying at one of the other 3 deluxe level resorts as you get early entry and Unlimited Express Pass use for both your check in day and the check out day of your stay - 2 days use for 1 night stay. Universal's Unlimited Express Pass is unbeatable value as most attractions have it (except for the two headlining Potter attractions) and the wait times are significantly shorter than even Disney's FastPass lines these days.

As for the plan of attack for a Potterhead, I would recommend using early entry (if Studios is available that morning) to go into Diagon Alley at open. Ride Gringotts (maybe even 2x as the line will do nothing but get longer), and then stroll around the Alley for a bit (knowing you'll come back later) and then hop out to King's Cross a take the Express over to Hogsmeade. Do all of the attractions and shops in Hogsmeade and take the ride back to London, it's a different ride both ways. Go back into the Alley and finish off your dedicated Potterhead tour without ever having to step foot outside of the Potter universe with the exception of going to and from Diagon Alley.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend doing JUST that though as you'd be missing out on many world class attractions at your fingertips in both parks. The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man is still the pinnacle of the modern theme park attraction. It's so good that to this day out of countless trips though it, I intentionally don't move my head away from the action as I don't want to figure out how the magic all works and ties together (even though I know how every effect works).

Grab a hot butterbeer while you are at it as well. It's perfection.

JediMasterMatt

You are informed at check-in which park is open for ealry entry, however, only Islands of Adventure has been available since at least January.

It's switching back to Studios in June. From what I was told a few weeks ago, they are going to switch it up every few (6?) months.

danpam1024

Planning to only go for HP and Minions is a HUGE mistake (and travesty):joyfull:, especially since it's something new and exciting for your kids. Spending money for HP- robes are $110, wands range from $30-$50+, and there's shirts, hoodies, blankets, etc- you get my point- there's a TON of HP merch alone- I suggest setting a budget if your kids are really into HP. DA and Hogsmead each have their own craft beer if you're into that (so does Simpsons). My son is 12 (13 next month). We have been going to WDW with him since he was 6 months old. Went to HRH at UOR for his 8th birthday and he wants NOTHING to do with WDW anymore (don't really blame him). Like others have said, if you can swing it, staying on property is HIGHLY recommended- we love the HRH (going in 5 days woo hoo). Once you experience EP and not having to plan EVERY SINGLE SECOND of your vaca (priority seating for hotel guests), you'll wonder why you didn't make the leap before! Don't forget the Eye and Madame Toussauds will be opened by then as well!

Disneydreamer23

Last September We did 3 days at Universal we seen every thing once, did a few things twice and did HHN as well so we fit in alot there as well. I would say 2 full park days with park to park . For my family we bought my DD a few shirts , treats, a giant minion and spent right around 100.00 . That was with the discount we have for being passholders. I would say bring at least 300.00 those wands get quite expensive . You will love it there and so will your children, my dd (16 months at time) had a blast!
062.JPG
063.JPG

Pictures above the minions are right out side the ride as you are coming out, also if you have minion lovers make sure you catch the parade. It was very cute!

tribbleorlfl

Obviously everyone's perspective is different, but I would say if all that's important to you and your family is experiencing HP and Minions, you can easily (and without regret) do that in one park hopper day without experiencing the rest of what the resort offers (even in the summer).

My son is a huge HP fan and when we go, that's pretty much all we do. He has no interest in the majority of UO's other attractions with the exception of Spiderman and the Curious George play area.

Regarding cost, it's easy to spend some serious cash in that place on merch alone. A wand, a t-shirt and another random item is going to set you back close to $100 per person, and you're probably talking $50 pp on 2 meals and snack (butter beer or ice cream).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom