Need your ideas!

vanryan

Well, so far I have used the info gleaned from all of you to:

Choose a lagoon view room at the polynesian requesting ground floor to feed the ducks

Got 4 family members to help me call for a PS at Cinderella's table and my dad got through!! (It took 22 re-dials)

Made PS at other recommended character meals- the Breakfastosaurus and Chef Mickey's

Now, I would like everyone to share the things we shouldn't miss at MK, EPcot and AK. We will have a 5 day park hopper and I would like to make my plan of attack! What do you suggest? My kids are little 6, 4 and 10 months, so we would like to spend 5 days at only 3 parks. They really like to return to what they know, and we went to these parks last year and they are quite excited about a repeat performance. What are your favorite things to do in these parks? How about at the resort itself? Has anyone rented the bike things with the roof? (I forgot the name? Favorite pools?

The_CEO

Kids = Buzz Lightyear
Anything " interactive" at wdw is good for the kids.. Like the tea cups .. The kids could help spin the cup... Kids like to feel important..;) Make sure you dont miss the " mountains" at the MK... Then at Epcot mostly everything but Test Track would be kid oriented.. Like Universe of Energy etc.. Your children might find Space ship earth boring. though... Then at AK .. Thats a kool park ,,,. Your kids would like A Bug's Life... You can't miss it... Look for a Giant Tree ...... lol.... ;) Just NOT Dinosaur... Not a good choice,,,,, You could have a baby swap If you wanted to ride it though....

OK thats all I have to say lol Have Fun:p

~ Justin.....

Upvote 0

kal1484

I would suggest taking a break mid-day. If you go gun ho the kids will get cranky, and it won't be fun. You may not get to everything, but your time will be more enjoyable.

Upvote 0

Lance

I've rented those bikes at the boardwalk, a four person one, you should have 4 people pedaling, but I had to do all the pedaling and it was a workout. Their are a couple of inclines around the Boardwalk and Y&B club so it was like mountain biking. I would never rent one again.

I always rent the water sprites in the Seven Seas lagoon and Bay Lake, they are expensive for a half hour, but it's a good time.

I would recommend taking a couple of days to enjoy the resorts. Cruise around to all the resorts. I always recommend the Y&B club pool!

Upvote 0

vanryan

Original Poster
Originally posted by Lance
I would recommend taking a couple of days to enjoy the resorts. Cruise around to all the resorts. I always recommend the Y&B club pool! [/B]

Can guest of one hotel use the pool at another?

Upvote 0

Lance

Yea, your not suppose to, it's sounds like they take it seriously, but they don't.

You can pool hop all you want, they'll never ask you to prove that your staying at a resort or anything like that.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by vanryan

Can guest of one hotel use the pool at another?

If you ever do get asked though tell them you are a DVC member. They are allowed to pool hop. Then if they ask for ID proving it then tell them that you don't have any on you.

Upvote 0

2much2do

Hi,
I want to add my two cents. I have a four year old and a eight month old, and we are going in two months. We will also have my ten year old sister with us and my mother. I am guessing they will enjoy:
Fantasyland - Dumbo, carusel, Peter Pan, Winnie, It's A Small World (my son's fave!) , teacups
Toontown- I'm gonna try the Barnstormer with my four year old, and see how he does. He's never been on a coaster before. The Donald Duck boat is great too! Try not to waste time wating in line for characters, as you will see some at breakfast.
Adventureland- Jungle cruise, Tiki Birds (although that might be a little intense with the lightening and thunder), Aladdin, Pirates (a little worried DS will be afraid cuz it's dark, but he just loves pirates, so maybe he'll be ok)
Tomorrowland- Buzz, TTA, maybe the the speedway
I'm also going to try to do Country Bear Jamboree, as well as the parade.

At Epcot:

Spaceship earth, although I hear it may be boring for them, we have never been so I am going to try it. Food rocks, Circle of Life in the Land are not to be missed with little kids. Honey I Shrunk the audience will be too scary for my son, so I will be avoiding that one. Cranium Command is okay, if we have time I'll do that. Definitly avoiding Body Warsand Innoventions. I'm checking out all the countries, but avoiding all movies, which they will surely find boring. We will go on El Rio Del Tiempo, but I will probably do Maelstrom without the kids (babyswap, or leave them outside with Grandma who is also coming along and just DH and I will ride). We will NOT miss Illuminations.

At Animal Kingdom:

I want to add, that contrary to what another posted suggested, It's Tough to be a Bug is terrifying for little kids. TERRIFYING! We had to leave midshow cuz my eight year old sister was petrified last time. She is now ten, and still refuses to go. We will be avoiding that one! We will be going on Kilimanjaro Safaris, Kali River Rapids (we'll baby swap the infant, but take my four year old), The boneyard, Triceratops Spin (which sounds wonderful for us, despite the mixed reacts I have read on this site about it), Tarzan Rocks (another fabulous show, IMO) Lion King (of course!) and Pocahantas, which my son will love! I also hear the parade is awesome!

Juat as a thought: MGM has some really great stuff for the kids. It's a shame yopu won't go there just cuz you didn't last time. I beg you to reconsider. Here is what they will be missing if you don't go:

Beauty and the Beast stage show (magnificent!), Bear in the Big Blue House and Friends show also know as Playhouse Disney(Rollie, PB and J Otter, Pooh and Stanley will be there) , Muppet Vision 3-D (again, my kids loved it!), Little Mermaid, Hunchback, and my son is desperately looking forward to Star Tours. They also can't wait to see the parade, and we will probably also try the Great Movie ride.

May I suggest you purchase a guidebook. I always stress to my friends planning a trip, that a guidebook is invaluable. A must IMO. I would be lost without mine. I have three actually. The Birnbaums Official, the Birnbaums for Kids, so that I can see what other kids think of the rides, and also the Unofficial Guide, which is good too. They seem a bit negative or cynical about some Disney things, but they really just present another (possibly more realistic view?) of the rides. and attractions,\. They have great planning suggestions as well. I do not follow their little plan, though, as I prefer to plan and enjoy rather than race around the parks as they suggest. There are also other guides out there, but I have not read them so I can't recommend them.

My thoughts on the resort. We will spend time relaxing and swimming by the pool but, a pool is just a pool. The kids always love to be at the pool, but my main focus will be the parks and things we cannot get elsewhere. We will break during the day, but we haven't ever had much success going back to the room. It wastes time and then they don't want to leave the pool to go back. Instead, we take our own strollers, and they nap in them. Or, we all head to a nice air conditioned place (restaurant or ride) and chill out there. Maybe even get a nice snack and sit on a bench and people watch. It is enough to get us rested. Even if you do decide to go back and rest, I still would try to get back to the parks. I know it's a vacation and you want to rest, relax, etc., but I have always said "If you want a real vacation, where you lie on the beach and get tanned and sip cool drinks, go to Hawaii, Bahamas, etc. Disney is all about the rides, shows, characters, etc.

Just my opinion:)

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

There should be no concern with the Tiki room. The lightining and thunder rarely occurs. And I would be a little cautious on the barmstormer. Even though it is a farely tame coaster it is still pretty rough. If you child like faster rides though then give it a chance.

Upvote 0

vanryan

Original Poster
We will be there April 22-May 1st, and have similarly aged kids so thanks for your good advice. We avoided it's tough to be a bug last year and will again this year after reading your post.

My kids aren't in to Bear or Doug, or the muppets, which is why I would forgo MGM. My daughter age 6, is afraid of the beast, so that show wouldn't work. Last year we had 4 day passes and I thought we'd hit MGM the last day. The kids really wanted to go back to the MK and I was worried that they would remember that they didn't get to do something they wanted, and couldn't miss something they didn't know about. We are pretty well addicted after one trip, so I also thought to have something brand new on a trip a couple years from now would be cool.

We did not make it past the Race Cars in Tomorrow land. What do you think of Buzz Lightyear?

Upvote 0

vanryan

Original Poster
Originally posted by 2much2do
Hi,
I know it's a vacation and you want to rest, relax, etc., but I have always said "If you want a real vacation, where you lie on the beach and get tanned and sip cool drinks, go to Hawaii, Bahamas, etc. Disney is all about the rides, shows, characters, etc.

Just my opinion:)

Just rread your message again and this struck me as so funny!
I have 3 kids, I couldn't lie on the beach and sip a cool drink if I did go to Hawaii!! I'm all for the activity- my kids are great stroller nappers too.

Upvote 0

Pan

Don't miss Tom Sawyer Island or the Boneyard at AK later in the day when the kids are pooping out, they will love it and it will be a great change of pace. I agree with DisneyInsider that the Barnstormer is a pretty tough 1st rollercoaster, I wouldn't do it. The kids will love Buzz. It often turns out to be kid's favorite ride, and often is the parent's favorite as well (me included). Head straight to Fantasyland when the park opens and do Dumbo first thing if you plan on going on as the line becomes intolerable throughout the rest of the day. I would avoid Alien Encounter, Bug's Life, and Honey I Shrunk the Kids with young kids.

Upvote 0

2much2do

LOL, you are right about the beach!
Buzz is pretty great I hear. I haven't been on it, but my sister who was eight went on about ten times last time. Since Buzz is now one of my son's favorite movies of all time, he is very excited about the Buzz ride. Actually, when we booked the Disney trip about a month ago, all he was excited about was Buzz. He doesn't really remember anything about the last trip because he was just too young, and he really just wants to drive down there (22 hours!) stay at the All Star Movies in the Toy Story buildings and ride Buzz. That's all he's expecting from this trip, LOL! I hear it is really cool inside arcade style and you can shoot targets with a "blaster". There is no age restriction or height restriction, so I guess we'll all go on.

Yours is a good point about saving MGM for another trip. My son LOVES Bear and Rollie and Stanley, as well as the Muppets and Star Wars, so I kinda have to go, LOL! Besides, the rest of us love it. But, it will be cool for you to have something totally new to visit.

The boneyard is lots of fun, but I thought Tom Sawyer Island was crazy. Lots of kids running around without their parents, screaming and jumping, and not looking where they were going, runnning into things and people. I just about had a heart attack! My son was just barely two last time and not a good runner yet. Lots of tunnels and caves and places where they can "hide" and you can never find them. I won't be going this time, but mostly because my son is now one of those crazy kids, and I am really afraid he will ram some cute little girl and refuse to come out of some cave.

Oh, and Disney Insdier: Do you have little kids? My two year old was afraid of the Tiki birds last time. I am going again this time cuz he is older and maybe won't be scared, but I remembver seeing several parents taking their screaming kids out of there. How do you know "there should be no concern"???????Every parent has to decide for themselves based on their kids. And the lightening and thunder happens several times at every show.

Upvote 0

goaler

I think that It's Tough to be a Bug might be the best 3-D show at the world. I just love it, beware though for most younger kids do not like it at all!

My daughter was 6 the first time we saw it and she came out in tears. My kids are now 13 and 10 and they still don't want to see it. It does get dark and quite loud and watch out for the cockroaches ...

Upvote 0

no2apprentice

In reading these posts, it reminds me of when I was finally able to take my two boys (now 10 and 13) on their first WDW experience in 2000. My youngest was very anxious over the Haunted Mansion. He rode with mom, and she told me afterwards he kept his eyes closed during about 1/3 of the ride. Much later in the day when we were slowing down (everything-in-a-day-exhuastion), I talked to him about which parts bothered him. I explained some of the effects they used for the bothersome parts. He asked some questions and left it at that. About an hour later, he asked if we were going on HM again. I said we didn't have time, and he was disappointed because he wanted to look for the special effects!

The next year we went, he couldn't wait to see HM again. Of course, he was 8 the first time, and 9 the second, but HM was the only ride he had a problem with. He laughed during ExtraTerrestrial (sp). Go figure. I agree with the other advise that every child is different, and parents should use their best judgement.

Upvote 0

Disneynutcase

I concur with the 3-D flicks. My eight year old saw Honey, I Shrunk the Audience when she was five and did not enjoy much of it, and she totally knows that movies and Disney are all make believe, and she also has seen all three "Honey..." movies as well as the t.v. show, so it wasn't like this was unfamiliar territory. For grown-ups, it's a real hoot of an attraction.

We're going back to WDW in April and plan on skipping all 3-D's except for the Muppets. For some reason that one seems to go over okay with kids even though there are some in your face similiarities. Guess it's not as intense, more deliberately comedic.

Goofy's Barnstormer is shorter than hell, seems to be over just after it starts--almost not worth getting in line for. Ride it early in the day before crowds hit. You'll find out real fast if your kid likes fast rides. Personally, I always find that the mini-coasters do the whip-lash thing much more intensely than the mountains. But the bonus of the Barnstormer is that the kids see the whole ride and it looks cute so they get their nerve up. I'd highly recommend taking your kid on BTM and Splash Mountain if he/she likes the Barnstormer.

Splash is the favorite ride of both my girls (ages 3 and 8) plus two kids we always travel with (ages 3 and 6--both total speed demons). My 3 year old (almost 4) does not like mini-coasters at all, even though she's kind of up for giving them a try--desperately wants to be like the big kids.

Re: mid-day naps. Since you've been to the parks before, you probably already know what you kids will do mid-day. If they are legit napper and/or good resters, then take the break as much as possible. We're planning on a mid-day break for our first touring day to see if anyone actually gets any rest. My feeling is that the kids will be bouncing off the walls, asking when we're gonna go back aka "how many more minutes...?"

I've always found that little ones konk out just find in a stroller. I've also had decent experience going from opening 9:00ish to at least 7:00pm if not later at parks with a crew of four 2-8 year olds. Maybe I'm lucky to be with kids with good dispositions (who happen to love Disney and especially "more rides!")

My only disclaimer in this is that you should have a day off or two (meaning no parks, just pools) somewhere in the middle of your touring. It really helps get everyone's energy back. And Disney Studios is a good park to hit in the middle because it's small and is mostly shows. You won't feel guilty if you arrive late and leave early.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom