Need help planning a trip for a big family!

Maerj

Hello there!

The last week in May my wife and I are planning a trip to WDW. We and our 6 month old were planning on staying at Pop Century.

We were also planning on going with my wife's sister's family. They HAVE been planning on driving to WDW (we are in Lancaster, PA) and staying at the Wilderness Campground. Until today... they realized that their camper only gets 10 miles a gallon and they have quite a few miles to travel.

So they are rethinking their plan and are considering flying and staying at a resort. Their group will consist of two adults and 5 children ages 19, 17, 15, 6, and 5. The husband is self employed and so they need the most inexpensive option.

Would a Value resort be a good option? Would they be better off doing one of those villas since they are a big group? If so, would it be a good option for my wife and I and our DD stay with them?

I always have just planned for myself or just me and one other person so I'm not sure what to tell them. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :sohappy:

Pioneer Hall

If they went with a value resort they would need two rooms. I think the value suites at All-Star Music only fit 6 as well. They may have no choice but to go with a villa at that point, but that is very expensive. They may have to just look off property at one of the rental homes if they are that concerned about budget and have a party that large.

If you need any more help planning you can email me at evan@kingdomkonsultant.com

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Funny, we are traveling to Lancaster tomorrow for a few days.

Anyhoo, it is prob cheaper for 2 rooms (get adjoining ones) at an All-Star Resort rather than a villa. Since the older kids will be said to be adults, say that there are 2 in each room so you are not charged for extra. Then you and your family can stay next to them.

Just as Monty mentioned, it is cheaper to drive. I did a mapquest and it is 1000.83 miles exactly from Lincoln Mem Highway in Lancaster to All Star Sports. Given 10 miles per gallon and about $3.00 per gallon you are looking at $600 for round trip in gas...about half than airfare for 7 people. Just something to keep in mind.

Upvote 0

Maerj

Original Poster
Update:

They are driving a Suburban 2500 series van towing a 33 foot trailer with a slide. It weighs about 8500 pounds and they have to run high grade fuel in it, thus raising the price for gas. Total travel distance is 1018 miles.

I am talking to her right now...

Upvote 0

TheKeeler7

Another thing to keep in mind is that a camper means breakfasts and possibly some dinners not in the restaurants which could mean a significant amount of money with a large family that includes teenagers. Thats were villas or renting DVC points or driving a camper make up for the cost over rooms without cooking facilities

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

After looking at it again...it probably does still make sense to drive as a PP said. Airfare would be a minimum of 200-250 per person. I don't even think high grade fuel would cost that much.

Upvote 0

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Hello there!

The last week in May my wife and I are planning a trip to WDW. We and our 6 month old were planning on staying at Pop Century.

We were also planning on going with my wife's sister's family. They HAVE been planning on driving to WDW (we are in Lancaster, PA) and staying at the Wilderness Campground. Until today... they realized that their camper only gets 10 miles a gallon and they have quite a few miles to travel.

So they are rethinking their plan and are considering flying and staying at a resort. Their group will consist of two adults and 5 children ages 19, 17, 15, 6, and 5. The husband is self employed and so they need the most inexpensive option.

Would a Value resort be a good option? Would they be better off doing one of those villas since they are a big group? If so, would it be a good option for my wife and I and our DD stay with them?

I always have just planned for myself or just me and one other person so I'm not sure what to tell them. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance! :sohappy:

If cost is a concern, I would highly recommend a house offsite. Go to www.vrbo.com for a lot of listings from owners of homes in the area. With a total of 4 adults and 6 children, you can get a 5 or six bedroom house for probably around $175/night, since you aren't going during high-season. You'll have a small pool, and possibly a hot tub. Many of these houses have two master suites to accomodate two family groups together. The kitchen will allow you to save some money on meals from time to time as well.

Staying on site, a group that large will be spending at least $300 per night and would still be on top of each other in multiple rooms at a value resort. The house will give you more space for less money if you're willing to give up staying on site.

If on site is a must, you could put your whole group (including your and your wife and child) in two rooms in the part of POR that sleep five in a room (with a trundle bed helping). Or you could shoot for one family suite and one regular room for the whole group at a value resort.

Upvote 0
Wow! Good luck with your planning. We pulled our 33 ft trailer to Disney three years ago, and with gas, and car repairs (we broke down on the way)and campgrounds for while traveling to and from... We would have saved money by staying in a resort. Fort Wilderness is my favorite place at WDW! If you have the money and the time to drive down with a LARGE trailer in tow, that would be my first choice. The campground is peaceful and awesome. The children would love it and it is a safe place to let the older ones stroll around. AND best of all, you have your own accomodations to sleep in with no hotel noise. One or two meals a day can be cooked at your "own" home away from home. BUT--travel time back and forth takes away from park time.

The estimates that I come up with are 300.00- 500.00 for gas roundtrip, 120.00-150.00 for campgrounds for 4 nights of travel roundtrip, 350.00-420.00 for Fort Wilderness for 7 nights, about 2900.00 for park tickets for 7 days... not to mention food--- looks like about 4270.00 without food. It is going to cost a lot.

Maybe you want to look at two 6 day 7 night Value Resort Packages and driving to WDW. They advertise for 1600.00 for a family of 4. I would also consider the dining plan, although I am not a fan of it. With a family this size, it might be cost efficient. I don't know. Just some more suggestions to think about. The choice ultimately has to be this families.

They are lucky to have you to help them plan the trip. Hope it all works out for all of you!

Upvote 0

davidpw97

I'd have to agree with those who said you should look into renting a house offsite. You might be able to get a good weekly rate on a 5 or 6 bedroom house and you could all stay at the same place and split the cost. It would save money on meals and you'd have more space.

Upvote 0

eroyee

If you hook up to Allstar vacation homes thru the allearsnet.com website you get up to $175 off the huge houses. Might want to check that out.

Upvote 0

Mybails

Off Site

We are a family of eight. Going in July. Our offsite house is costing $99/night. Parking wll be $11 a day at the parks. Our minivan from Canada is $600 for gas total. A hotel on the way may cost $150. But we have frquent useer points from the Hubby's work. Take a look for the homes, they are definitely cheaper.

Upvote 0

Mybails

Oh and we have free wi-fi, long distance, a pool that we can use anytime we want and four bedrooms and a pool table and an electronic basketball game. We don't bother with park hoppers since we set up our schedule before hand. 8 days with 6 - 10 & up and 2 - 9 & under. $1839. House $ 1100. for 11 days. $3600 roughly set costs. Not sharing a hotel room - priceless!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom