NEED HELP-Our First Time with Only Carry-ons

Mouse_Trap

Hi all! :D

DH and I will be taking our annual trip to WDW this Fall and are taking on what is a challenge for us-traveling with no checked bags, carry-ons only.

We are traveling JetBlue and are aware of the rules and bag dimensions and whatnot, but have a liquids question: does the guideline apply literally to liquids only, or toiletry type items?
For example, we use a facial cleanser which technically isn't a liquid, it's more of a lotion consistency but does TSA qualify this as a liquid?? What about moisturizers and lotions? Toothpaste? Shaving cream? Deodorants? Pill medications?

Worst case scenario, we just buy travel sized items to avoid wasting space and hassle like shampoo and shaving cream at Publix which we always stop at anyway.

Thanks so much!!

Yes, aerosol cans count toward your limit. So do all moisturisers, lotions, toothpaste etc. I'm less sure of stick deodorant, but I would think so as they would be classed a gel.

Tablets would be ok, as long as they are not gel/liquid based.

Save yourself hassle and but when you get there, especially if you will be stopping at the shops anyway. It's more of a nuscience if you are staying on-site without transport and have to pay the inflated resort prices or for short breaks, where you don't really want to buy products only to leave them behind mostly unused.

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster
Yes, aerosol cans count toward your limit. So do all moisturisers, lotions, toothpaste etc. I'm less sure of stick deodorant, but I would think so as they would be classed a gel.

Tablets would be ok, as long as they are not gel/liquid based.

Save yourself hassle and but when you get there, especially if you will be stopping at the shops anyway. It's more of a nuscience if you are staying on-site without transport and have to pay the inflated resort prices or for short breaks, where you don't really want to buy products only to leave them behind mostly unused.
Yeah we will just buy most of the toiletries at Publix. You're totally right, not worth the hassle. We researched the deodorant and a TSA blog says stick deodorant doesn't have to be bagged but gel/spray ones do. I wish they had a master list!

Weather_Lady

Yeah we will just buy most of the toiletries at Publix. You're totally right, not worth the hassle. We researched the deodorant and a TSA blog says stick deodorant doesn't have to be bagged but gel/spray ones do. I wish they had a master list!

They do have an app for that! It's the TSA "Can I bring my...?" tool. It's geared toward what items are permissible rather than what is considered a liquid/gel, but it might help.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/my-tsa-mobile-application

There's this brochure, as well. http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

DisneyPrincess5

Original Poster

rob0519

I understand the conveniece, but personally, I think the airlines should charge double for the wheeled carry on luggage as they do for checked luggage. The inconvenience of people trying to push those huge things in the overheads and then drag them out again is a major delay in boarding and exiting flights. Not to mention the people sitting in Row 26 that put their stuff in the overhead at Row 11 so they don't have to drag the suitcase back to their seat.

I know this is an unpopular idea and will most likely never happen, but it's just my opinion.

Mouse_Trap

I understand the conveniece, but personally, I think the airlines should charge double for the wheeled carry on luggage as they do for checked luggage. The inconvenience of people trying to push those huge things in the overheads and then drag them out again is a major delay in boarding and exiting flights. Not to mention the people sitting in Row 26 that put their stuff in the overhead at Row 11 so they don't have to drag the suitcase back to their seat.

I know this is an unpopular idea and will most likely never happen, but it's just my opinion.

Yup, so annoying now everyone takes mainly carry-ons. Neither were current aeroplanes designed to accommodate such amounts of carry-on. I read an article about AA (I think it was) enlarging and strengthening the overhead bins on some of the smaller planes.

It always reminds me about a Japanese woman on a flight to Hawai'i trying to stuff a carry-on that was clearly wider than the compartment up. Naturally it wouldn't close despite ramming it up as hard and as much as she could. However, when the stewardess come over she wouldn't have it that it wouldn't fit and would have to be taken away, she wanted it left up there stuck at a really awkward angle where it could have fallen out at anytime.

Weather_Lady

I'm a big fan of Rick Steves and his ilk, who advocate for packing "light and smart." It's a matter of personal taste, to be sure, but I enjoy the freedom of having very little with me, but knowing I have everything I need. http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/packing-light/packing-smart

Nor do I have a heavy, overstuffed carryon as a result. Depending on the length of my trip, I take either a 20" soft-sided duffle that fits beneath the seat in front of me, or a 21" rolling carryon bag that is less than 30 pounds, fully packed, with a week's worth of clothing and sundries.

Mukta

I am a carry on only traveler. I travel 2-4 times a month and I know how to travel light.

The definition TSA gave me for liquids was anything that can't hold it's shape when removed from its container.

I hope you enjoy traveling light. I am a big fan!

Disneydreamer23

Trust me it's so much easier I usually stay for two weeks in September and have never checked the bag this year I'm traveling with my parents and they're driving so they bring everything for me so the so I'll have to bring on the plane is a stroller and a little bag I'm so excited

MOXOMUMD

Trust me it's so much easier I usually stay for two weeks in September and have never checked the bag this year I'm traveling with my parents and they're driving so they bring everything for me so the so I'll have to bring on the plane is a stroller and a little bag I'm so excited
Wow! Lucky you. I'd be excited too. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom