Need help booked cruise on Disney Wonder

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
Hi everyone

I just booked a 5 night cruise in January to the Carib. The itinerary is Miami, Cozumel, Castaway, Miami.

Taken wife, 6 year old girl and 1 year old boy.

Now Im concerned that my son will not be able to participate in any of the excursions off the ship and will limit our activity, are there any excursions that he can participate in? Also I love WDW and the business of the day, is this cruise going to live up to even a little of what the world does. I was hoping to get some insight on what to do with the family and how to make the most out of it.

I was thinking of changing the reservation to one out of port canaveral and spending 3 days in WDW and 3 days in cruise if this isnt right for everyone.

iloverags2

It's hard to answer that question, as everyone is different in how they view both WDW and DCL. For us, DCL is perfect. We much prefer the relaxed nature of a cruise, and enjoy having our room just a few steps away from our activities.

You are definitely correct about excursions with your 1-year-old. Would you consider putting him in the nursery while you enjoy an excursion? Really, the only place you may need to book an excursions would be Cozumel. Castaway Cay is just absolutely incredible on its own. In Cozumel you can even take a cab on your own to one of the many beaches nearby, and not necessarily need an excursion there depending on how you feel about the nursery.

If you are unsure about a cruise, the 3-day out of PC with 3 days at WDW might be a good solution for you...you can get your feet wet on the cruise, so to speak. Personally, I find the 3-days way too short...but I would never turn down a 3-day (and in fact I'm going on one in two months!).

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
It's hard to answer that question, as everyone is different in how they view both WDW and DCL. For us, DCL is perfect. We much prefer the relaxed nature of a cruise, and enjoy having our room just a few steps away from our activities.

You are definitely correct about excursions with your 1-year-old. Would you consider putting him in the nursery while you enjoy an excursion? Really, the only place you may need to book an excursions would be Cozumel. Castaway Cay is just absolutely incredible on its own. In Cozumel you can even take a cab on your own to one of the many beaches nearby, and not necessarily need an excursion there depending on how you feel about the nursery.

If you are unsure about a cruise, the 3-day out of PC with 3 days at WDW might be a good solution for you...you can get your feet wet on the cruise, so to speak. Personally, I find the 3-days way too short...but I would never turn down a 3-day (and in fact I'm going on one in two months!).

My wife and I couldn't leave him in the nursery and enjoy ourselves off the boat. I'm thinking maybe in Cozumel I will take my daughter for the day and leave my wife with our little one. Are there small activities for us to do on castaway cay as a family? That's basically what we are looking for to see and do great things as a family..

Lucky u going on a cruise in 2 months, wish I was going away sooner. Have a great time

iloverags2

My wife and I couldn't leave him in the nursery and enjoy ourselves off the boat. I'm thinking maybe in Cozumel I will take my daughter for the day and leave my wife with our little one. Are there small activities for us to do on castaway cay as a family? That's basically what we are looking for to see and do great things as a family..

Lucky u going on a cruise in 2 months, wish I was going away sooner. Have a great time

Castaway Cay has a wonderful family beach you all can enjoy together. What types of activities are you looking for or interested in?

sweetpee_1993

On Castaway Cay there are usually lots of little scheduled events & activities you can get into. I'd have to go look for some Navigators to see exactly.

**edit**
I just looked at a Navigator (that's the schedule of daily events) and on Castaway there were crab races twice plus the whale dig out on Monstro Point. I've never gone to any of these. The crab races sound self-explanatory. The whale dig I think is like digging for whale bones in the sand or something. Maybe someone else can fill in more. Plus you have the family beach that would be an enjoyable beach day for ya!

Disneyfalcon

I agree, there's lots to do on Castaway Cay. You will probably all love the splash area - Spring a Leak. Monstro Dig that Kelly referred to, is in the kids club area on Castaway Cay. It's an awesome dig site. Castaway Cay will be a great place for a family day. :)

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
Castaway Cay has a wonderful family beach you all can enjoy together. What types of activities are you looking for or interested in?

Yes, that sounds great. My wife and kids love the beach, I usually get bored after a few hours.
I would like to be able to at the very least see something like an aquarium or something like that. An example of this would be like what they have at the Atlantis that the whole family could do. Also would like to have the whole family do a dolphin interaction, but I think it's 3 and up at Cozumel. If I signed up for that with my daughter, could my wife and baby watch? I will be able to the family into town and shop?

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
On Castaway Cay there are usually lots of little scheduled events & activities you can get into. I'd have to go look for some Navigators to see exactly.

**edit**
I just looked at a Navigator (that's the schedule of daily events) and on Castaway there were crab races twice plus the whale dig out on Monstro Point. I've never gone to any of these. The crab races sound self-explanatory. The whale dig I think is like digging for whale bones in the sand or something. Maybe someone else can fill in more. Plus you have the family beach that would be an enjoyable beach day for ya!

As long as there is stuff like that we will be good. Would like to stay as a family as much as we want to and not feel forced to seperate based off activities.

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
I agree, there's lots to do on Castaway Cay. You will probably all love the splash area - Spring a Leak. Monstro Dig that Kelly referred to, is in the kids club area on Castaway Cay. It's an awesome dig site. Castaway Cay will be a great place for a family day. :)

Ty for the help

sweetpee_1993

Family fun and activities is what Disney does best. Rest assured!

I'm not sure about specific excursions especially in Cozumel. I know with some of the dolphin ones in Nassau there's an observers option.

iloverags2

Yes, that sounds great. My wife and kids love the beach, I usually get bored after a few hours.
I would like to be able to at the very least see something like an aquarium or something like that. An example of this would be like what they have at the Atlantis that the whole family could do. Also would like to have the whole family do a dolphin interaction, but I think it's 3 and up at Cozumel. If I signed up for that with my daughter, could my wife and baby watch? I will be able to the family into town and shop?

Yes, your wife and the baby can go as observers on the Dolphin Discovery excursion in Cozumel, and also the Dolphinaris excursion . There would be no charge for the 1-year-old. :)

There is an Ocean View Explorer excursion in Cozumel which is similar to a glass bottom boat, except the observation deck is actually underwater. Infants are allowed on the excursion, and pay the children's price.

I will see if I can dig up my latest Castaway Cay Navigator insert and post it for you. It will list all the activities and highlights on the island. :)

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
Yes, your wife and the baby can go as observers on the Dolphin Discovery excursion in Cozumel, and also the Dolphinaris excursion . There would be no charge for the 1-year-old. :)

There is an Ocean View Explorer excursion in Cozumel which is similar to a glass bottom boat, except the observation deck is actually underwater. Infants are allowed on the excursion, and pay the children's price.

I will see if I can dig up my latest Castaway Cay Navigator insert and post it for you. It will list all the activities and highlights on the island. :)

Ok that's exactly what I was wondering and if u can do that, that would be great.

iloverags2

Mike, the Castaway Cay map, activities list, and excursions are below. It looks like there are a few excursions as well at CC you can enjoy as a family (Island Cruise and Glass Bottom Boat Scenic Tour). Personally, I find there is so much to do at CC without an excursion, plus Kelly and Tammy pointed out some great family activities!

SCAN0003.jpg

SCAN0004.jpg

SCAN0005.jpg

SCAN0006.jpg

Hope this helps!

iloverags2

Just realized...I posted the CC activities from our Nov 2010 cruise...YIKES! I will match it against our May cruise...if there are any changes, I will scan those as well.

iloverags2

Ok...a few things. The activities are the same for the most part, just a few different times (i.e. Whale Dig was 1:00 - 2:30 in May, so a bit longer). The Island Cruise is no longer offered, but the Glass Bottom boat still is an excursion.

sweetpee_1993

Ty, I think I got it for castaway cay. Never been on a cruise so any advice is very helpful.

My best advice for Disney parks fans going on their first cruise is to not go in with a lot of expectations or big plans. Be prepared to go with it and absorb the experience. My first time I got more than halfway in and was broken-hearted because I'd built myself up to thinking it would be something it wasn't. I had to be reminded that it was only my first cruise. I was supposed to be absorbing the new-ness of it rather than thinking I had it licked like I do in the parks. I didn't. In the end, the best part was having to slow down and absorb it rather than run it. Does that make sense??? Good to go in educated but keep the expectations in check! It's a whole different kind of vacation from resorts & parks. It's still Disney awesomeness but in a different way. The rhythm of life in general is just different...refreshingly so! Enjoy every minute. Savor it all.

mikegiordano0

Original Poster
My best advice for Disney parks fans going on their first cruise is to not go in with a lot of expectations or big plans. Be prepared to go with it and absorb the experience. My first time I got more than halfway in and was broken-hearted because I'd built myself up to thinking it would be something it wasn't. I had to be reminded that it was only my first cruise. I was supposed to be absorbing the new-ness of it rather than thinking I had it licked like I do in the parks. I didn't. In the end, the best part was having to slow down and absorb it rather than run it. Does that make sense??? Good to go in educated but keep the expectations in check! It's a whole different kind of vacation from resorts & parks. It's still Disney awesomeness but in a different way. The rhythm of life in general is just different...refreshingly so! Enjoy every minute. Savor it all.

That's a great post that's exactly what I'm nervous about. I'm a huge Disney parks fan and love the hecticness and the awe of it all. My wife is the opposite and wasn't happy when I tried convincing her for our 5th world visit in 5 years. I have to come to terms with a different type of vacation... What do u think are some of the more fun parts of a Disney cruise?

sweetpee_1993

That's a great post that's exactly what I'm nervous about. I'm a huge Disney parks fan and love the hecticness and the awe of it all. My wife is the opposite and wasn't happy when I tried convincing her for our 5th world visit in 5 years. I have to come to terms with a different type of vacation... What do u think are some of the more fun parts of a Disney cruise?

Throw yourself out there and go to the scheduled stuff. Look at your Navigator as your menu of to-dos. It's every bit as fun as the parks and can be just as hectic if you make it that way. There's basic stuff to know (just like the parks) like when is the best times to hit the Aqua Duck and/or pools, get to the character meets early especially the princess thing, a great view of the fireworks can be had on the deck above the pool level on the port side, etc. Just don't go expecting to know everything and be comfortable & confident the way you are at the parks. It's a new experience. You didn't walk into the parks the first time with all the knowledge you have now so don't be mad if you find yourself trying to figure things out and feeling a little clueless. For me the big clencher was not knowing where things were and how to connect the dots automatically. I didn't even think of that before our first cruise. We rushed out our door to dinner the first night, got to the elevator, and it hit me like a brick: I had no clue how to get to Enchanged Garden. I had a full-on panic moment. LOL! That freaked me out because I practically grew up at WDW. I can't remember a time that I ever needed a map at the MK or Epcot. DHS & AK I only ever needed a glance to confirm a location or shortest route. I always just knew. And the transportation systems were always familiar to me and logical. I never had a problem getting where I wanted to. On the ship I realized that I didn't know which elevators were which, which to take where I was going, how to tell where things were, etc. If I'd stopped the panic and read the sign that's at the elevator it tells you where you are and where everything is. LOL! You don't need a map at all. Just read the signs. If you ever need to figure out where you are on the ship just go to the elevator and it'll tell you. That easy. But I had to freak out then have my hubby point all this out to me. LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom