need for anything more than flip flops on Disney Cruise?

cattle

One of my co-workers is going on a cruise with 2 of her girlfriends at the end of next month (kind of a girls only/last fling before the ring trip). Since it's going to be the three of them, she intends to pack VERY light.

She was thinking (along with the other two i assume) of bringing just two pair of old navy flip flops (one black, one white) .

I told her that nobody would say anything in the casual cruise ship world, but some of my online friends have told me otherwise. That got me thinking..

THEN, she told me that when she's walking the deck and at the pool and just lounging around, she plans on being barefoot. I knew I had to open this thread to get some real answers rather than my assumptions.

How barefoot friendly are disney cruises and also will she need any other shoes besides the two pair mentioned?

Thanks everyone!

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I'm pretty sure all cruises, including the Disney Cruises, have one "formal" night in the dining room where she'll want to wear something other than flip flops.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Here is the "dress code" for dining on a DCL ship: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-dining/dining-attire/

As you can see, the only place that specifically says "no flip flops" is for Palo (or Remy, depending on which ship she will be on).

I have worn "dressy" (leather with rhinestones, etc.) flip flops/sandals in the dining room with the exception of formal night, but I would not wear Old Navy flips flops in the dining room....I think those are too casual, but that is just my personal taste. No one is going to say anything to her if she does wear them (with the exception of Palo/Remy). Cruise line dress code is a HUGELY debated subject on discussion boards. You will have those that have the attitude they are going to wear whatever they want because it is their vacation and they want to be comfortable, and then you are going to have those that like to stick to the traditional cruise dress code.

If she is doing any shore excursions, she might want a pair of more sturdy sports sandals... just my opinion based on personal experience.

As far as going barefoot, obviously people are going to be barefoot around the pool...but my personal opinion is that it is tacky (and uncomfortable) to be barefoot in other public areas (including hallways and deck areas that are not right next to the pool).

I would suggest she take one pair of Old Navy flips flops for walking around the ship and poolside during the day and one dressier pair of flip/flops or sandals in a neutral color for the dining rooms, and one pair of sports sandals if she is doing shore excursions. If she is planning on going to Palo/Remy, then obviously she is going to need some heels or other dressier non-flip flop shoe.

Upvote 0
Barefoot ok in immediate pool area. Seems she would want to wear shoes else wear on deck. Even though Disney, the deck would make your feet pretty dirty.
My wife & I wore sandals every night but formal night & we could have worn then without standing out.
I do agree that your friend will want some sturdier shoes for excursions.

Upvote 0

lbrad

The decks (es. poolside) can get pretty slippery/slick.
My DD slipped several times in her flipflops ... we teased her that that is how they got their name :lol:

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

Flip flops will probably be what she wears most of the time. If she wears a long dress on formal night, she may be able to wear black flip flops without much notice. Otherwise, I'd take something a little dressier. Also, I'd always have a pair of sneakers, in case blisters form or flip flops get uncomfortable off the ship at the ports.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom