Discussion in 'Sports' started by 21stamps, Oct 8, 2016.
You're bragging yet your team almost choked a game away. Not that good if you ask me.
I've finally accepted last night's game.
Here's my thoughts- (in no particular order)
1. Wow. That sucked.
2. Clemson played amazing, better than they ever have.
3. Horrible play calling by OSU.
4. This game really showed the youth of OSU (see #2)
5. Ohio State was the team that deserved to be there.
6. No one expected this young OSU team to make it this far. But-Once they did, most didn't expect the events of last night to unfold. (See #2)
7. People who are saying that the committee made a mistake are Wrong.
8. PSU was not the better talent compared to OSU.
9. See #2
10. The Buckeyes will come back better and stronger next year.
As for Michigan vs FSU- that entire game was a train wreck. A W is a W though.
Kudos to the Bowl Game Winners.
Kudos to The Ohio State for having such amazing young talent and coaching that they made it to the semi finals, after losing the majority of their roster.
I'm cheering for Clemson in the final.
I dunno, if they couldnt even win their own conference championship game I honestly doubt they deserved to be in a playoff game. Penn State probably woulda put up a better fight.
OSU wasn't in the championship game.
Penn State had more losses, most to lesser teams than OSU's wins. Their win against Ohio State moved them up in the rankings more than any other game that they played. I'm not saying this is an OSU fan, just as a football fan..the level of talent wasn't the same when comparing the two teams. I think at the level that Clemson was playing last night.. had it been PSU the score would have ended up a lot worse.
Well, considering we controlled the game until the last few minutes and came back, I'll take that win.
Yeah, if Clemson plays like that against 'Bama, I think the ACC will bring home the title. I expected a higher scoring game from 'Bama. Kiffin's poor play calling responsible?
DeShawn Watson vs. 'Bama's defense. Gonna be a great game.
Here's the comparison-
I don't see how anyone can say OSU didn't deserve to be there. PSU was in the Big 10 Championship Game bc that's how the chips fell, but side by side schedules show why the rankings ended how they did.
Penn State's 2 losses were to Michigan and to Pitt (who wasnt really a slouch either as they went 8-5). Ohio State only had 4 meaningful wins and one of those were outside the conference.
We won, that's good. Dominated most of the game. Wasn't pretty the last minutes...but we won.
This is what I keep wondering when reading people say this.. OSU pounded the weaker teams..they beat the higher ranked teams. Including Michigan. So a schedule argument is one that I just don't see, and obviously the committee didn't either.
I understand that there is always Ohio State hate, but I just don't understand the argument that they shouldn't have been there in the first in place. Beside actually playing in the B1G championship, PSU doesn't have the better resume.
I don't know what happened that game. I know a lot of people won and lost quite a bit of money on those 2 games though.lol
I'd love to see Clemson play against Bama as they played last night. If they do, they have a darn good shot at winning.
And this is why we need to expand the playoffs. I realize the NFL may complain, but they're getting a farm system through the NCAA....for free.
How many bowl games were there this season?
I'd love to see an expanded playoff. First off bc I think it's needed, secondly bc (especially as an OSU fan) I'm tired of hearing the what ifs.lol
I posted this article on FB. I don't know what the committee will do in the future, but if they stick with choosing only conference champs (when there are better contenders out there) I think it will be a huge mistake, and will hurt college football as a whole. What if a 3 loss team is a conference champ, do they deserve to go? That's setting a rule that nothing else matters and they may as well do away with the point system.
ETA- Michigan and OSU were the best teams in the B1G, and 2 of the best teams in the entire NCAA, both choked and were outplayed in the end. They need to think about that for the next few months.. and come back with a vengeance.
Sadly, there are impediments to an expanded playoff:
1. The NCAA - which is an impediment to college football in general
2. The bowls themselves. However, non playoff bowls will become more irrelevant as @Dad 2 M & M pointed out.
3. The NFL. God forbid if college football playoffs impacted their post season play. I repeat what I posted earlier...suck it up, NFL - you're getting a free farm system.
4. University presidents and athletic departments. But see #2.
Couple of notes:
1) To your 1st point - Had the committee stuck to conference champs this year, the uhh ... B1G would have been edged out ENTIRELY by Oklahoma. No way they would have taken Penn State over Oklahoma.
2) Michigan and OSU certainly were the best two teams in the B1G, and APPEARED to be two f the best in the nation. CLEARLY they were NOT....NOT even MAYBE. Not pouring salt on your wound here, but your statement: "Clemson played amazing, better than they ever have" is a bit strong. They did play a very good, or maybe even great game, but OSU hasn't been the same since Zeke left.
The Playoff might expand to 6, but I can't see 8. Another impediment would be THIS YEAR'S Top 8 ..... Tell me what 5 - 8 would have looked like? Michigan, Oklahoma, Penn State and USC? 3 B1Gs? You could very easily have Wisconsin and thus 4 B1Gs this year..... FSU wouldn't have been considered...
Not just Zeke, they lost the majority of their seasoned talent. Did anyone pay attention to the NFL draft last year? OSU had the most 1st round picks out of any school in history. For that reason I made points #4 and #6 in my above statement. I'm a diehard fan and didn't expect them to make the playoffs this year- pre season.
Once the season got started, and especially how it finished, no one can honestly say that out of the Big 10 the committee should have chosen someone else over OSU. Like I said, compare resumes. The PSU crowd right now may be yelling "I told you so", but facts are PSU's season was not as good as Ohio State.
I despise Michigan, but I still say they were a better team for a playoff over Penn State.
Then you have the people saying "It's not fair bc 2 years ago OSU only got in bc they won the Big 10". Also not true. It comes down to schedules and wins and rivalries and road wins etc etc. People can say all day long that OSU has a cake schedule...it doesn't make it true.
OSU lost, horribly. It sucks. It's going to sting for awhile. They lost bc they got outplayed last night, not bc they were a team that shouldn't have been there. Our kicker missed field goals, ones he should have made.. every time the offense started to gain momentum they lost it..every time we intercepted the Bucks just couldn't make it to the end zone..play calling was awful..JT had no protection.. It was just a bad night all around.
I am the first one to admit that I had no fear of the game last night. I thought Clemson would be a good game, but that the Bukeyes would win comfortably. Clemson definitely did play great, I don't think many, if anyone expected Clemson to play and win in the way that they did in that game.
Let me say this first - the committee did pick the 4 best teams....To the PSU "I told ya so folks" if your gunnna lose to Pitt, it must be your ONLY loss.....stop, I know Clemson lost to Pitt...it was their only loss.
- NFL Draft - Remind me how many starters Bama and Clemson lost to the NFL in this year's draft? If your angle will be 1st round picks, and thus the talent that OSU lost was better, my response will be, what happened to OSU WITH ALL that talent last year? One of your seasoned players was JT Barrett....the Anointed One? He is no Cardele Jones as far as a winner in the clutch. What if he wasn't hurt in '14? Would you have hoisted the trophy?
- I don't get the "no one expected us to get this far" or " a team that shouldn't have been there" .... Preseason Top 25 Polls had OSU in the Top 10 with some as low as 6 (the REAL Polls, not the el jokey ones). Ask the Bama fan base where they think they will be in any given season...even if they were 6 - 6 the season prior (see Saban's 1st season at Bama)
I love the fact you pointed out the game was lost because of the way OSU executed, not just Clemson play. The "no fear" comment was spot on, as winners who follow winning programs will never have fear.
Bama fans have been routing for OSU for the last 2 years...and they want them REALLY bad.....I expect you'll do the same in the coming years for Clemson, right? Bring um on anywhere, anytime....
**Edit** Who are you routing for next Monday? Any passion in the game? Or, we aint in it so who cares?
I just had to give props to this amazing group of guys-
2016 Draft (The best draft class of any school in the past 70 years)
DE Joey Bosa 3 27.6
RB Ezekiel Elliott 4 25.8
CB Eli Apple 10 19.9
OT Taylor Decker 16 16.9
OLB Darron Lee 20 15.5
WR Michael Thomas 47 10.1
FS Vonn Bell 61 8.4
DT Adolphus Washington 80 6.7
WR Braxton Miller 85 6.3
TE Nick Vannett 94 5.7
ILB Joshua Perry 102 5.1
QB Cardale Jones 139 3.2
"People" can talk all they want about OSU being "over rated" or "weak schedule" but the facts and talent stand on their own.
Last year was such a HUGE disappointment. We had too many QBs. I don't want to beat up on Cardale, but he wasn't the leader that everyone predicted he would be. I agree that he throws better, but I'll take JT's overall talent over Cardale's any day.
I will always admit when my team makes mistakes. I love football. LOVE it. I love the NFL as well, but NCAA Football is far and away my favorite sport to follow. Following a sport (not just your own team) means knowing and admitting when other programs do better..or worse..and recognizing talent where it is.
I despise the SEC...so I will be cheering for Clemson.
That roster reminds me of the Atlanta Braves of the 90s....please tell me .... BY SCREAMING....you are not the Braves of the 90s....You know you had the talent to win....
"Weak Schedule" was reality, and as they say down here, it is a TRUE FACT you had a weak schedule...you just didn't know it at the time
And I like the "despise the SEC"...never lose that passion
Last year was even worse for me than the NYE loss...so I agree with you there. We had the talent to be back to back national champs...and somehow it just didn't play out.
I love the fact that the big 10 had such a presence in the polls this year. They had been an overall weak conference for awhile..and most OSU fans would rather play against good teams than bad. 66-0 games are not the most fun to watch. I can't wait until ND is on our schedule in a few years...and I hope the other B1G programs continue to do what they did this year. The B1G is coming back!
Separate names with a comma.