MyMagic+ help needed (research)

Stephan Gadow

Original Poster
Hi,

I am doing research for my master thesis “Increased customer convenience in theme parks through RFID”.

Therefore, I am doing a short survey (5-10 min) about Disney’s MyMagic+ system (MagicBand) and its perception in the parks. Everyone (also cast member) who experienced Disney’s system is more than welcome to participate. I’m very curious about your thoughts.

http://h2370926.stratoserver.net/limesurvey/Index.php?r=survey/index/sid/674295/newtest/Y/lang/en

Thank you, I appreciate your help!

Stephan
Master student
University of Applied Sciences Stralsund, Germany

Tom

Beta Return
Hi Stephan,

Could you tell us a bit about yourself, and your personal experience with Disney parks and resorts? How often do you visit, and which destinations do you visit? When was your last visit, and have you personally used My Magic+?

I'm sure everyone here would appreciate some background before jumping into the survey, since this is your very first post here and we don't know what approach you're taking.

Thanks!

Tom

Stephan Gadow

Original Poster
Hi Tom,

sounds like a fair response :)

My name is Stephan (28 years old) and I'm doing my masters degree in Tourism Development Strategies in Stralsund, Germany.

I have been to the Disneyland California one time and Walt Disney World Orlando twice. The last time was about 3 weeks ago for research and also fun purposes. I visited Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and EPCOT for the Food and Wine Festival. It was fantastic. I stayed at the All Star Sports Resort with a friend and we had a great time.

I used My Magic + for the first time. It is a great experience. It was very interesting to receive visitor and cast member feedback as they are not overlapping in all sections of my research.

I am trying to find out more about how MyMagic+ is perceived by the visitors and cast members. I have determined the 3 main functions of the MagicBand, since I'm studying RFID systems in theme parks, which are:

1. virtual queue
2. payment function
3. access to the hotel room

And from there, I'm asking questions about the perception of the system.

I hope I have answered your questions :)

Best wishes from Germany,

Stephan

Tom

Beta Return
Thanks so much, Stephan! As soon as I hit POST, I'm heading to your survey.

Besides WDW, what other RFID system are you studying?

Stephan Gadow

Original Poster
Thanks so much Tom :)

I study two other RFID systems that can be placed in theme parks:

1. Accesso's LoQueue
2. MICROS' My Visitors

But WDW has the major RFID system, I am mainly focussing on. Universal's RFID wands are also very interesting. I might also put that in my thesis as I experienced them also during my stay 3 weeks ago.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Actually, since there was no place to put this on the survey, I'll add my 2 cents.

I don't feel MBs offered much (outside of what I indicated in my survey answers) to my WDW experience, outside of waterparks. They are PERFECT for waterparks. However, where I really felt they would have added a LOT to the experience on the Disney Cruise Line. I found myself wanting those bands quite a few times during my cruise.

If you do some research, some cruise lines are already introducing this on their ships. Royal Caribbean, iirc, is one of them that currently has it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh, and @Stephan Gadow ....congrats!

2014-07-14T155755Z_2_LYNXMPEA6D0U9_RTROPTP_2_SOCCER-WORLD.JPG

rkleinlein

My theory is that people who go more frequently (hardcore Disney fans) will like fast pass more than one time or infrequent visitors since they are not trying to do everything on each trip, do not mind (or mind less) the advanced planning, not being able to get fast passes for certain attractions, the longer standby lines caused by fast passes, and being on a regimented, inflexible fast pass schedule.

Stephan Gadow

Original Poster
I agree with you, but when you compare FP+ and the legacy system (old FP), hardcore Disney fans should hate FP+, because now they are restricted to only getting 3 passes per day. Before they were able to get as many as they wanted per day. I don't know if Disney did this intentionally, but it seems like allocation is more even now between hardcore Disney fans and first visitors / less frequent visitors.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I agree with you, but when you compare FP+ and the legacy system (old FP), hardcore Disney fans should hate FP+, because now they are restricted to only getting 3 passes per day. Before they were able to get as many as they wanted per day. I don't know if Disney did this intentionally, but it seems like allocation is more even now between hardcore Disney fans and first visitors / less frequent visitors.
You can get more than 3 FP+ per day; after you have used your initial 3, you simply go to a kiosk and add a 4th. One that is used you can return to a kiosk and get a 5th, and so on.

Agree that the new system is more restrictive on fastpass quantity though.

Tom

Beta Return

This defines me. My wife and I were very skilled at utilizing legacy FP to its fullest potential, even when they enforced the printed return time. We both love one ride in DHS - Tower of Terror. So, with Legacy FP, we were able to ride it 3-4 times a day, or more, between short Standby times and getting FP after FP.

Now, with FP+, that just isn't possible. Even with the opening up of the 4th FP+, you still have to let three previous FP's - all for different attractions - expire, then go to a kiosk to get one FP, and hope they still exist for the ride you want. If you login at the 60-day mark and get your first three crammed into the morning, you're still looking at afternoon before you'll be able to try for the 4th. And a 5th? Right....

On the flip side, the part I REALLY like about FP+ is that I can now enjoy attractions I hadn't ridden in years, like Toy Story Mania. We like to stay out at the parks late, and sleep in. There's no rope-dropping for us. That pretty much means we don't get to ride TSMM, since the FPs were usually gone by the time we'd roll into DHS. Now, we can line it up 2 months ahead, and ride it at a much more convenient time.

So, obvious pros and cons - and it's mostly relative to how exposed you were to the old system. For brand new, or novice, WDW guests, once you get past the technology learning curve, I imagine it's very popular for them. For us hardcore veterans, it's a huge change, and one that we're still getting used to.

Tom

Beta Return
Regarding the use of the band for charging, that's certainly handy, but it doesn't eliminate the need to carry other things with me. So, really, all it does is prevent me from having to get my wallet out to pay for merchandise.

I still carry a Photo ID and insurance card with me everywhere I go (as should everyone). I also carry a major credit card (not debit, in case it's lost or stolen) for emergencies, or in the event the MB system is down. And I also carry cash for tips (since the Table Service tipping process is extremely awkward).

Now, if Disney could, say, allow you to scan documents into your account - like your drivers license and insurance card - and then just scan your band if you're involved in an emergency on property, thus pulling up your ID and info on a tablet device, it would eliminate the requirement to carry things like that. But I don't see them doing that, nor do I really trust their ability to keep data like that secure or always available.

Tom

Beta Return
As a room key, it's fantastic. If you're coming back to the room with arms full (child, merchandise, food from the food court, swimming accessories and towels), it's very handy to just bump your wrist against the door and elbow your way into the room.

MUCH better than having to get out the wallet to get the card out. And since you can wear the bands in the pool, you always have your key. Whereas, you can't take a wallet into the pool, which means leaving sensitive things buried under your towels on the deck chair, or stuffing it into those make-shift swim trunk pockets (at least for guys....sorry ladies).

Jahona

Completed the survey.

What Tom posted about using it as a room key hit everything I had in mind. When I stayed this year using the band was just so much more convenient than having to dig around for the card. I have made the mistake in the past of setting my key card down when I enter the hotel room and then leaving and forgetting to put it back in my wallet or pocket. The band was always with me.

Tom

Beta Return
Completed the survey.

What Tom posted about using it as a room key hit everything I had in mind. When I stayed this year using the band was just so much more convenient than having to dig around for the card. I have made the mistake in the past of setting my key card down when I enter the hotel room and then leaving and forgetting to put it back in my wallet or pocket. The band was always with me.

I always took the band off in the room, but I'm OCD about where I put my personal belongings, so it was ALWAYS sitting on top of my wallet, which went on the table with my sunglasses and phone.

But, I never forgot to take the band when I left the room, because I'd go through the mental checklist of things I needed....and since we were always leaving to either eat or go to a park, I automatically needed the band. Whereas in the past, if the KttW card wasn't in my wallet, I would occasionally leave it in the room because it's easy to lose and forget.

Stephan Gadow

Original Poster
So, current results from the survey:

63 people answered so far
14 surveys are not complete
49 surveys are complete (33 of those only used MyMagic+)

So, until this point I only have 33 responses I can actually use.

Well, I hope I can get at least until 100 complete (and useful) responses.

Do you guys have any suggestions where else I could post my survey?

Best wishes from Germany :)

Stephan

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom