MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

AustinC

Original Poster
Hey all! I'm new to the Disney forums here, but wanted to let you know about a BIG new feature story on Disney's MyMagic+ that we're set to publish in Fast Company magazine. I'm sure you've all read tons about the company's NGE efforts, but this is the real, untold story of how the program came to life, based on more than 6 months of reporting. Lots and lots of insights and details to come about MM+.

Anyway, keep an eye out for the feature, which goes live online tomorrow (Wednesday) and hits newsstands this week, too. We also have a small preview of the story, linked here, in case you're eager to see what the article will be about. Hope you all enjoy!

http://www.fastcompany.com/3044922/...illion-attempt-to-reinvent-its-iconic-theme-p

Enjoy,
Austin

UPDATE: As others have since pointed out, the full MyMagic+ story is now online, from our May issue:

http://www.fastcompany.com/3044283/the-messy-business-of-reinventing-happiness

I'll be answering your questions too over the next couple days! Feel free to throw out whatever questions you may have about MyMagic+, and I'll do my best to respond asap!

Last edited:

PREMiERdrum

Hey all! I'm new to the Disney forums here, but wanted to let you know about a BIG new feature story on Disney's MyMagic+ that we're set to publish in Fast Company magazine. I'm sure you've all read tons about the company's NGE efforts, but this is the real, untold story of how the program came to life, based on more than 6 months of reporting. Lots and lots of insights and details to come about MM+.

Anyway, keep an eye out for the feature, which goes live online tomorrow (Wednesday) and hits newsstands this week, too. We also have a small preview of the story, linked here, in case you're eager to see what the article will be about. Hope you all enjoy!

http://www.fastcompany.com/3044922/...illion-attempt-to-reinvent-its-iconic-theme-p

ALSO, sorry if I'm posting this to the wrong thread! I know there are usually rules about this stuff, but this seemed like the most popular thread in the forum, so I'm posting it here. (If there's a more appropriate place to post, please let me know, and I'll move it there!)

Enjoy,
Austin

PS - there's a reason we're posting this in this forum beyond the shamelessly self-promotional aspect of it all, I promise! If all comes together, hopefully you'll know why soon!

Austin, you did a fantastic job on this piece. Well, well, well done.

ParentsOf4

I had to laugh at the following:

While the parks do regularly introduce new rides, the division is intent on preserving the spirit of Disney’s tradition, the rickety nostalgia of rides like It’s a Small World, which has barely changed since its debut at the 1964 New York World’s Fair. "If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it": That’s how multiple company sources describe the division’s ethos.​

And I thought the current mantra of WDW was:

"If it is broke, don't fix it."​

:D

jeffk410

Looking forward to reading it - Fast Company is my go-to.

Scanned it quickly this morn and one thing I did catch was the "left-brained"/"right-brained" myth being thrown around early. Just figured I'd point out that the neuroscience realm has empirically demonstrated the brain isn't as dichotomous as was once thought.

kap91

Really liked this...refreshing to hear a perspective that's so balanced. There were so many naysayers here that only ever talked about the more negative aspects in the article that that really became the dominant narrative here. Your conclusion - that is was a success but a fraught and tumultuous one is on point.

TeriofTerror

This was a wonderful article!
One aspect of MyMagic+ that didn't seem to be covered in depth in this article is FastPass+. Next to privacy concerns (completely over-hyped, IMHO), I'd say it's one of the most controversial aspects of the MM+ initiative. Did you get much insight into it during your research?
Thanks!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What a shameless puff piece the TWDC PR machine is certainly in overdrive these days about polishing the image of MM+

I did like that the long distance tracking system was discussed, It was also interesting that most of the people quoted were 'former' IT,PM and OPS Cast Members.

Fun Quote.

Imagineering is an incredible organization but it has become as institutional as the rest," says a former high-level Disney leader. "They dream of building these big icons of their creative expression, but when a capital budget shows we’re going to invest in changing the established guest experience rather than spend on a big fixed asset, that doesn’t get met with love.

Kingoglow

This is a good read and well written.

A criticism that you will get here is, like so many in the media, your story doesn't seem to press as hard on some of the details. Reading through your article it looks like Disney spent (by most accounts) well over $1 billion for 5,000 more guests and what the company reports is a 20% increase in per guest spending. The ROI on that investment seems lacking. Would like to see that follow-up.

It is interesting to see the blame for lack of integration fall at the feet of the imagineers. We all know much more could have been done with MM+ but I, for one, thought it was for lack of a willings at the top to integrate into the parks. Surprised to see that it was because of an unwillingness to cooperate from the people tasked with creative design.

In the end, as a consumer and user of MM+, I would say that I find the experience exciting in its use. It is another layer for the planning stage of my vacations (the pre-pre-show if you will). I look forward to receiving my 'gift box' and it makes my vacation much more tangible prior to leaving for the airport. I certainly would like to see MM+ put to use for something outside of transactional interaction though.

durangojim

@AustinC Thanks! Great read! I'm curious though, there have been a lot of recent articles about the My Magic and Magic bands (Wired had one last month, along with another publication I can't remember). Has Disney been contacting you guys to increase publicity for it? It seems with the introduction of the Apple Watch, interest in wearables is higher than it has ever been. Thanks!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom