My Top 5 Orlando Meet-and-Greets

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Original Poster
This list is based primarily on the technical aspects of a Meet-and-Greet, as the quality of the character interaction is always a wild card. Also, there may be some magic-free terminology used, so... you've been warned.
And, while only two of the five spots go to Disney M&Gs, there are a couple nods to other Disney experiences that didn't make the list. Hopefully that will be enough to keep it on a "WDW" page and out of the graveyard...

5) Universal's Superstar Parade mini-shows

This is my only "non-talking" pick for this list, but, with the parade floats and music as your background, the plethora of performers, and the fact that these guys are doing a M&G right after a show? A very worthy candidate for my list. Add in the fact that this is the only place you can meet the Despicable Me characters and it's a shoe-in.

4) Enchanted Tales with Belle

Not gonna lie: I actually have a lot of beef with the actual M&G part of this M&G. It's too selective, and the girls are rushed to make their numbers, so there's no time for actual one-on-one interaction. However, the nature of the experience, the immersion of the location, and, of course, the mirror and Lumiere, kick it up a notch above your standard princess M&G.

3) Talking Mickey

An obvious choice. The queue is impressive, for a M&G, and the room where you meet Mickey is delightfully detailed. The biggest drawback is the oft-cited critique that... it's awkward. The delay between responses. The fact that the physical performer has to guess what Mickey is gonna say next. The fact that you just can't preload enough audio to make it really connect. However, if you're young enough at heart, you'll lose yourself in the fact that Mickey Mouse himself is talking to you, and that's just friggin' cool.

At this point, I'd be remiss in not giving a nod to Turtle Talk with Crush and Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. The nature of both attractions are M&G-esque, but they offer less one-on-one time than ETWB, so I don't feel they can be considered meet-and-greets.

2) Talking Transformers

This experience is only testing right now, but it is a doozy. The M&G they've had for a while now already draws a crowd. The costumes are amazingly impressive and detailed, the stilted performers animate very naturally, and the prerecorded voices add a layer of realism to the interaction. Once you add LIVE voice performers, you add a GIANT element to an already impressive experience. Like talking Mickey, though, there's an even greater element of guesswork for the physical performer to animate what they're hearing from the vocal performer, but it should improve greatly as the pairings learn each others bits and styles.

1) Donkey's Photo Finish

You have Shrek, he's kinda' awkward. You have Fiona, she's hit-or-miss. But then you have Donkey. WOW. An animatronic puppet hybrid with a LIVE voice performer? Yes please. He can talk, blink, move his eyes, move his eyebrows, heck, he can even move his ears. This is EASILY the most impressive M&G I've ever heard of. If you haven't seen this in person, even if you're not a big M&G person, check this out. You won't be disappointed.

Florida_is_hot

Would not be caught dead at a meet and great.
Unless your a kid you should get zero satisfaction meeting a young man or woman a total stranger in makeup or costume.

You know even if I could meet a real actor I would not care or ask for an autograph. Actors are just people with a better paying job than mine.

TubaGeek

Original Poster
I'd have to include Beast at BOG, fun stuff
I'm still peeved they took him out of France. Now the only way you can meet him is to pay to eat at BoG for dinner.
Unless your a kid you should get zero satisfaction meeting a young man or woman a total stranger in makeup or costume.

You know even if I could meet a real actor I would not care or ask for an autograph. Actors are just people with a better paying job than mine.

Honestly, I have ZERO interest in meeting characters, but watching young members of my party meet 'em is one of my favorite things to do.

BigTxEars

Why should I not get any satisfaction from a meet and greet of a character due to my age? I certainly enjoy it. It's all part of the immersion at WDW or Universal or any other park IMO. The Harry Potter wand shop is pretty good too to add it to the list.

joanna71985

That's your opinion, and I respect that. But there is nothing wrong with adults meeting the characters. I happen to enjoy it a lot

Ariel484

I get satisfaction from meeting characters...I find it fun. OOPS. :D
Okay?

jlsHouston

I love meet n greets and character dining...it's part of why I vacation at WDW. I love the Beast. I didn't stop in to see Talking Mickey but he was the hit with the grands on our November trip. They also love the storytime with Belle. After we dine at BOG, it is a must stop place regardless of wait time.

draybook

We LOVED the Transformer M&G!!
When my daughter showed me a video of them before our last trip, I
thought it was a cgi screen or a fake YouTube video. Man was I amazed when we saw the real thing.

TubaGeek

Original Poster
We LOVED the Transformer M&G!!
When my daughter showed me a video of them before our last trip, I
thought it was a cgi screen or a fake YouTube video. Man was I amazed when we saw the real thing.

Did you get to meet them when they were prerecorded or with a live voice actor?

luv

Marge & Homer, around the time they opened the ride. No line. I was so excited to get my pic with them and even got the cheap, plastic frame. Dork!

Minnie. My mom wanted the pic, so I went, but found myself surprised by how happy I was to stand there with her. Dork.

The Coral Reef at Epcot. Because it was so cool.

Baloo and King Louie. Because I like them.

7 Dwarfs...haven't done it yet, but keep planning to.

(I just like the pics and don't actually talk to them. :))

BigTxEars

Marge & Homer, around the time they opened the ride. No line. I was so excited to get my pic with them and even got the cheap, plastic frame. Dork!

Minnie. My mom wanted the pic, so I went, but found myself surprised by how happy I was to stand there with her. Dork.

The Coral Reef at Epcot. Because it was so cool.

Baloo and King Louie. Because I like them.

7 Dwarfs...haven't done it yet, but keep planning to.

(I just like the pics and don't actually talk to them. :))

Oh yeah the 7 Dwarfs are awesome looking together!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom