My thoughts on Universal Orlando....

JesusJuice

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I just got back from a 4 day visit to Universal Orlando and here are my random thoughts:
I was so excited to visit UO after hearing how great it was. After getting there I was severely dissappointed. The one thing UO was lacking was the magic and happiness that you feel when you are at WDW. I just couldn't get past the fact that it didn't feel the same. On our first day we went to the Studios. I couldn't help but feel like it was a cheap immitation of the Disney MGM Studios. One thing I couldn't stand was the blaring hip hop music! I mean that completely ruined the park for me! I hate rap and it was unnacceptable to be hearing radio music in a theme park! I must admit a few of the rides were really good. My fave. was definately MIB. It was ten times better than Buzz at MK. As for RotM, I was dissapointed to say the least. Sure the coaster part was great fun but the ride was too dang short! The video parts on the walls were lame and it wasn't scary at all! The fake ending was so pointless. I also like the Shrek 4D show, but the story was lacking. One thing that really made me mad was there was no Puss in Boots merchandise in the Shrek gift shop! I mean come on, how could you not have Puss in Boots!? I was sad...but I did end up buying a fart machine in that store! hehe :D My last comment on the Studios is that their fireworks show was simply average. An average ending to an average park.
IoA was no doubt a great improvement, but like I said lacked the magic that you feel at WDW. The biggest thing was that it lacked rides. All of the coasters were great fun, but still nothing at couldn't get at my local six flags. I did love the themeing of all the lands though. You have to hand it to them there. Spiderman was a dissapointment for me. Sure it was a fun ride but not as great as people were hyping it up to be by saying it's the best ride in the world. The flume ride was just pathetic and only accomplished in me getting soaked. People who say its better than Splash should be shot! I did enjoy the Popeye rafts, and that ride beats the crap out of Kali in AK. JP the ride was boooooring at best. The Posiden show was the biggest waste of my time in all my life. The cat in the hat made me sick...litterally! I did eat at Mythos, which is supposed to be the best theme park resteraunt in the world and I do have to agree that it was really good food for the price.
Ok I know that this post was long and all over the place but I just wanted to express my thoughts on UO. I know most of you will say it's all negative but I am just being honest. Yes UO was a whole lot of fun but nowhere near the fun I had at WDW. I don't think I will be visiting UO for a looong time but I already want to go back to WDW.
*One last thing: The characters at UO were lame! The costumes were so hokey, they looked homeade! Also the people playing them were unenthusiastic and looked as if they hated their jobs. They put no "character" into them.

AndyMagic

Stating that Universal theme parks lack rides is laughable. The Studios and IOA have more E-rides packed into them than Animal Kingdom, MGM, and Epcot combined.

BDCatz

I really enjoyed Universal, but I agree that it doesn't give you that awesome warm and happy feeling like WDW does. It is more geared to the movies and TV which I found very interesting. WDW will always be my favorite, especially the music!!!!!

AndyP

Universal and Disney are both different, but still both great. Yes I love Disney, but I still am very happy walking around Universal. Ok the goosbumps at Disney are much more frequent. However, if you continually walk around thinking 'that wouldn't be at Disney' or they're not like at Disney, etc. you won't enjoy yourself! Walk around, relax and enjoy the stuff at Universal (like some of the rides) that compared to Disney are better. (I'm not saying I prefer Universal but i still have a really GREAT time and wouldn't miss it on a visit!)

JesusJuice

Account Suspended
Original Poster
AndyMagic said:
Stating that Universal theme parks lack rides is laughable. The Studios and IOA have more E-rides packed into them than Animal Kingdom, MGM, and Epcot combined.
I was just talking about IoA....Practically one ride in each themed land is pathetic to me. JMO though.... :animwink:

dxwwf3

JesusJuice said:
The one thing UO was lacking was the magic and happiness that you feel when you are at WDW.

Well I see it didn't take you long to find the biggest difference.

I love IOA and I enjoy spending a couple hours each year at USF. While If I had to rank the parks in Orlando, USF would be at the bottom of the list. And surprisingly Revenge of the Mummy did nothing to change my mind (I was hoping it would). To me the best things at USF are T2:3D and Shrek 4-D. I think ROTM is good, but definately not great. I usually only see MIB, BTTF, and Twister only once every few years. The rest of the park is a wasteland for me (Though some people like Jaws and ET).

IOA is just great. It has a better feel than USF does and it is much better themed. The music at IOA is a key element to the park's feel (as opposed to USF's mainstream pop music). I have to ride the Hulk at least 10 times every day I enter the gate. And Spider Man gets better every time I see it. I think Ripsaw Falls and Popeye are very underrated and I hit those things first thing in the morning. Hopefully IOA will add SOMETHING new within the next few years. I know there's not alot of space, but it is time for something new. And Jurassic Park needs something worth seeing besides the JPRA (And it's not that great).

Basically I could handle 1 or 2 days of Universal but after that I really want to be back on Disney property.

HMGhost13

Universal used to be one of my favorite places to go.

Used to be.

With the handling of Ghostbusters in recent years (ok almost 10 now but still), constant rumors of removing of great rides, the removale of great rides and nothing but e-rides, i find UO lacking. not only in the magic that WDW has but lacking of my patience and time.

consider for a moment. the last time i went to UO was 2001. it was 2 weeks after the attacks so the parks were empty to say the least. 5 minute waits on EVERYTHING.

but that was 3 years ago. during a very troubled time when no one traveled. and now it's back up. do i REALLY want to wait in 1-2 hour lines everywhere i turn for a ride that'll last say 5-6 minutes? and some lines don't have much if any themeing (aka the Jimmy Neutron ride, though i may be wrong it was Hanna-barbara last time i went).

i loved spider-man but as far as the Marvel Area is concerned Spider-Man is all that i'd do. x-men ride is a lame tea cups, Hulk is not for me and neither is Dr. Doom's drop (both involving my fear of heights). i can't exactly ride the water rides to excess due to my prosthetic leg and where Disney has 2 in four parks, IoA has 3 practically next to each other.

for me UO and IOA is a once every 5-6 years. just as a refreasher course. but not much more. i get frustrated just even thinking about it :lol:

Frees Fan

IOA is beautifully themed in every land but, I would love to see some upgrades on JPRA and even a new ride or two somewhere in the park. I think Splash is WAY better than Ripsaw Falls in theming and the general ride experience. I like Spiderman and I always ride the Hulk. The Lost Continent is my favorite area and Pyrrock the Fire Dragon is my favorite coaster. I don't care much for Cat in the Hat. At USO, I agree that ROTM is too short but, I like the queue theming and the coaster part is cool as is the pre-show. MIB blows Buzz away...period! Since summer is pretty much over, I don't know if USO will continue their fireworks show or not. But, I get to watch Wishes every night from my patio...which is awesome! I don't think it's really fair to compare the Disney "magic" with any other parks. You aren't going to find that type of feel anywhere else. Disney's way of doing business means the "magic" will always be evident even though I don't really know what the "magic" is. Maybe I'm too jaded now that I'm older and have been so many times. I'm glad to see Disney stepping up to the plate with new thrill rides and I can't wait for Everest to open...should be fun! I do prefer USO/IOA to Disney mainly because of the coasters and thrill rides but, I do make it down to the MK every now and then. Would someone PLEASE explain to me what this "magic" is and why it's so important as opposed to some other park that doesn't have the "magic?"

Thanks!

DisneyFan 2000

I really am getting sick of the "no magic" thing... The only way Disney is more magical is because of the characters that are known to be that way. If it weren't for them both resorts would be equal theme parks.. Can Universal really do something about the fact that there aren't any magical characters? No, but atleast they're putting their best effort into improving what they have.

And how is Universal Studios a rip-off of MGM? Universal was planned long before MGM and when Eisner heard about them his competitive self beat them by one year with a half a$$ed theme park. If anything, MGM is the ripoff. Maybe more enjoyable but atleast don't dump names on Universal for nothing.

I'm not mad or anything but people really should check their facts and lay off of the whole 'Universal always will be a ripoff of Disney' thing. One thing I do agree with you though is the radio music. You can see at IoA though that they learned their leason! :D

Mark_E

I dont think its fair to say usf is not 'Magical' enough.
Disney is aimed at a younger audience with characters like peter pan and micky mouse, Of course thats going to be more magical than a park with rides about mummys and earthquakes and big plastic sharks

disney_nutter

how can you say that theres only one for each land, ok jurassic park has only one main atraction. But marvel, has spiderman, hulk, strom force and dr.doom( ok so theres 4 for one land. Next toon laggon has duddley and popeye (ok theres 2) ok jurassic park only really has the river advenute as a main atraction but you also for get the discovery center and the adventure aera people look on them as atrractions. Next in the the lost contentint, it has dueling dragons and the flying unicorn oh and poisdens fury which i love and the voyage of sinbad. And the last part suess landing which always makes me laugh, its has the cat in that hat which is just fun, the carsuessel thing, red fish blue fish and a circus show for kids.

Ok i know people try and compare it till disney, but i dont really think you can, disney is a experience like no other and therefore you cant compare with anything. personaly i love Universal and IOA. If you want to see universal at its best got for a horror night then you will see what universal does better than disney

Legacy

Universal knows it's not "magical", and their greatest advantage is that (finally) they aren't trying to be. USF is a much different experience that anything Disney offers. Even the comparisons between MGM and Uni are limited to only being based on movies. Universal uses modern films as it's themes while MGM uses the classics. Also, while MGM has discovered itself spreading away from movies to incorporate music and television, while Universal is still staying with movies (Kidzone doesn't count). IOA is a beast unto itself, and I honestly beleive that it and DisneySea (thanks to the Oriental Land Company) are themeparks of the future. As someone said before, you can't go to Universal and compare it Disney. If you do that with anything, you are not going to enjoy it. Uni is different, and it always will be. It doesn't have the magic and doesn't need it.

buxfan76

depends what type of person u are

you got a family of tourists that love spending time together-go to disney for the magical time

you got a bunch of friends wanting to find chicks at night- go to the citywalk at universal at night.

either one, im good with both of those two. i go with the family alot to disney and have a good time, but i also do enjoy migling at universal studios with the boys cause thats the type of person i am...RIDES, music, and the CRAZY nights up in the clubs.

its funny though at night when Universal closes, you see the tired out tourists wearing their shorts walking one way, and then you see some college kids all dressed up come in the other way. its like a two way road...with the families on one side and party goers on the other

JesusJuice

Account Suspended
Original Poster
buxfan76 said:
you got a family of tourists that love spending time together-go to disney for the magical time

you got a bunch of friends wanting to find chicks at night- go to the citywalk at universal at night.

either one, im good with both of those two. i go with the family alot to disney and have a good time, but i also do enjoy migling at universal studios with the boys cause thats the type of person i am...RIDES, music, and the CRAZY nights up in the clubs.

its funny though at night when Universal closes, you see the tired out tourists wearing their shorts walking one way, and then you see some college kids all dressed up come in the other way. its like a two way road...with the families on one side and party goers on the other
If you're looking for trampy Paris Hilton wannabe's.... :lookaroun I went to City Walk one night w/ my brother and there really wasn't ANYTHING to do, and all the girls that I saw were big hoochies under the age of 16. I kid you not, I saw a girl that was around 12 years old in booty shorts, halter top, and a full face of makeup.

JesusJuice

Account Suspended
Original Poster
BTW for those of you who want to know what the "magic" is...if you dont' know now you never will! BTW the characters are "NOT" what makes the magic of WDW...at least for me.

speck76

I have been going to Universal Studios since the very early 90's and I must say something has always seemed a little "off" in the park to me. I really like the rides and attractions, although I feel many are showing their age, and not aging so gracefully either.

I like IOA too, but I feel that IOA has "too many" big attractions, and not enough smaller attractions......and the majority of the smaller attractions are designed for children, of which I am not, nor do I have any.

Frees Fan

JesusJuice said:
BTW for those of you who want to know what the "magic" is...if you dont' know now you never will! BTW the characters are "NOT" what makes the magic of WDW...at least for me.

What does make the magic of WDW for you? Enlighten those of us who don't know what the "magic" is...I'd really like to know.

speck76

Frees Fan said:
What does make the magic of WDW for you? Enlighten those of us who don't know what the "magic" is...I'd really like to know.

For me, and I have felt this way since my first visit to Universal Studios, back when the tram ran through the park, and many areas would be blocked off, as filming was actually occuring, the park seemed to lack the immersive atmosphere that the Disney parks have. The park is surrounded by roads and "noise", and the music has always been top-40 style (better music is played in the parking deck).

I think IOA was a vast improvement. At least the park has a very nice score, which really adds to the experience.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
I have been going to Universal Studios since the very early 90's and I must say something has always seemed a little "off" in the park to me. I really like the rides and attractions, although I feel many are showing their age, and not aging so gracefully either.

I like IOA too, but I feel that IOA has "too many" big attractions, and not enough smaller attractions......and the majority of the smaller attractions are designed for children, of which I am not, nor do I have any.

I totally agree with you. I don't like USF even as much as you do, but there is something off there. It could be something as small as having pop music as the area loops, instead of movie music or score. I think Jaws, Earthquake, ET, and Kongfrontation showed their age before they even opened :lol:

I also think that the biggest problem with IOA is that it doesn't have enough attractions. Sure there is not alot of space there, but they really need to add something FAST. When they build some big new attraction over at Jurassic Park (They gotta put something else there), it would be nice to see another Cat in the Hat-style attraction added somewhere to the park. That is a wonderful smaller attraction. And I would probably ride the Unusual Driving Machines (if they ever open) just to see what all the fuss was about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom