My Rocket Fueled, Tornado Driven, Totally Unexpected Trip Report

Our Story begins on or around the weekend of April 23, when I mention to my husband that I would totally be interested in taking the kids down to see the shuttle launch on April 29 (at least I think it was scheduled for April 29th at that time - either way, the second to last shuttle launch.) My husband places a call to friends to get tickets onto Kennedy SC - the response is, jokingly, "Waiting until the last minute are we? Let me look into it and I'll call you back." We go about our busy lives, not really thinking anything about it. After all, if we get the tickets, great. If we don't, we won't have to worry about ballet recital rehersal, baseball games, school absence, etc.

Fast forward to Wednesday, April 27 - in which, my home state of Alabama undergoes a Torndado Emergency. We were woken up at 5:59 am to our weather radio warning us of (the first of many) a tornado in our county. 4 tornadoes pass within miles of our house that day. We watch helplessly as one by one, cities and towns filled with friends and loved ones are obliterated by tornadoes. We are in our storm shelter from roughly 1pm (after seeking shelter at my son's school from 11 am to 12:30) to around midnight. Our power goes out at around 4:30.

We emerge at midnight to find there has been ZERO damage to our home and neighborhood. But all 4 of us lay in our bed in the darkness listening with headphones (so as not to wake the kids) to the local radio stations as they begin to receive damage reports. Northern parts of our county - Gone. Whole towns in counties south of us - Gone. Already 4 people dead in our county. A friend whose husband is in law enforcement in a neighboring county texts me and asks me to pray for her husband who is helping to load 20 bodies found in a field, into emergency response vehicles. He has told his wife he is already breaking down - this from a man who many days never even calls home until way after the scary parts of his job are done. I frantically text, call and Facebook all of our friends in affected areas. Miraculously, no one we know was killed and very few were hurt! Praise God!!!!! Finally, around 2 am, my husband and I turn off the radio and go to sleep.

We wake up at 5:45 to my dad calling my cell phone. My dad works for our local utility company. He tells us the power situation is bad - possibly 10 days with no power. He suggests that we get out of town and take my mom with us (my mom later decides to head to the beach with my sister rather than to Cape Canaveral with us.) In shock, not knowing what was going on really, we pack, load up the truck, the dog, the cat. There are rumors more severe storms will hit over the weekend (thankfully, those predictions were untrue!!!) We clean out our fridge and freezer completely - no power for 10 days = no good for cold foods! We give our neighbors who have decided to stay everything we can - our weather radio, battery powered radios, extra propane tanks for the grill, keys to the house, etc.

We hit the road not knowing where we are headed. The sky was eerily blue:

DSC_0006.jpg

At this point we weren't even sure which roads were clear. We drove about 70 miles before finding a gas station with power. The lines were miles long:

DSC_0008.jpg

We decide to head south towards my in laws vacation condo in Sarasota. We call my inlaws and leave a message at their home in Chicago, to let them know we are headed that way. At almost the same moment we passed through Ringold, GA:

Damage in Ringold:
IMG_0830.jpg

We got 2 phone calls. One from my inlaws telling us there was already someone staying in the condo for the weekend. :eek: And one from our friend telling us he had secured us VIP seating tickets to the shuttle launch. We headed toward Cape Canaveral, calling a million hotels to see if we could find a place to stay.

erstwo

Original Poster
Well, this story has sort of a happy ending! And since it's sort of like a two week long trip, broken up by a trip back home :lol: I thought I would go ahead and add this epilogue to my TR:

Friday, May 13 - we head back toward Orlando, in hopes that the shuttle will launch as scheduled on Monday, May 16.

Saturday, May 14 - We arrive in Orlando around 3, with really no plan of where to stay or what we are doing. :eek: I've heard it's Pixar Weekend from the lovely folks at wdwmagic.com, so I google it and sure enough it's Pixar Weekend. But it's not at DHS as you might think. It's at Epcot!

When we arrive in Orlando it is pouring. By the time we pull into the Epcot parking lot, it has died down to just a drizzle. Luckily, we had packed the ponchos, so we suited up and headed toward the gates. The CM at the gate informs us that most of the Pixar characters are not out due to the rain. :( But suggests we head back to the indoor pavilion in the World Showcase, between Canada and England (or maybe France? :confused:)

We get there and the place is packed:

DSC_0043-1.jpg

There are at least 4 lines - Cars, Up, Monster's Inc., and Toy Story. Monsters Inc is by far the longest, but Boo is there! And my daughter insists on the Monsters Inc. line. Okay, a picture with Boo? Twist my arm.

A looooong wait:
DSC_0046-1.jpg

The whole way up we kept our fingers crossed that we would actually get a picture with Boo. We heard they were changing out the characters pretty often. There were some 'horror' stories of waiting in line for over an hour to meet one character or another - Jessie and Bullseye, Frozone, etc. - only to have the characters changed just before you got to the front of the line. So, I told my daughter to be prepared if they changed out the monsters, but we made it!:

DSC_0051-1.jpg

erstwo

Original Poster
About 3 groups after us they brought out different characters - a tall skinny guy, and the orange and yellow guy with the sock on his back. Really cool, but my daughter wasn't interested. She wanted a picture with Mater (zero wait!):

DSC_0054-1.jpg

And then we were off to meet my husband and son, who had bailed on the super character long line to ride either Soarin or Mission: Space. Soarin was a 90 minute wait, so they rode Living with the Land instead and then texted to say they were ready for dinner. We met up at Sunshine Seasons. Yum!

DSC_0056-1.jpg

DSC_0057-1.jpg

DSC_0058-1.jpg

erstwo

Original Poster
After dinner we evaluated our choices. Everything we were interested in doing at Epcot seemed like it was going to be a long wait, with no Fastpasses left. My daughter was dying to meet more characters, but we weren't sure if any would be out after the rain. We decided to ride Spaceship Earth and then head to the MK.
DSC_0061-2.jpg

This was the first time I've taken any decent pictures in SE. All you fabulous photographers out there on this board don't worry - I know they are NOT even good quality, but at least they were decent!
DSC_0075-2.jpg

DSC_0079-2.jpg

Getting our future emailed to us:

DSC_0085-2.jpg

A few pictures to show we were there during the Flower & Garden Festival:

DSC_0088-2.jpg

And then a funny one:

DSC_0095-2.jpg

erstwo

Original Poster
We took the monorail over to the TTC and then decided that we wanted to take the boat over to the MK instead of the monorail.

Oh.

My.

Word.

Why has no one ever told me about how breathtaking the view of WDW is on the boat from the TTC?????

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

Loved it!

Once inside the gates, my husband headed over to Guest Services to pick up our Tables in Wonderland card, while I took my daughter over to meet Mickey and Minnie, which was a 10 minute wait!!!

DSC_0106.jpg

Loved the details "backstage"!

DSC_0110.jpg

Love that Mickey has been to Castaway Cay!

DSC_0111.jpg

Does anyone know why these performances take place so early in the morning??

DSC_0113.jpg

Just wondered if it was by chance or if they did it for a reason!

erstwo

Original Poster
I also loved the new backdrop! In my opinion, the old backdrop, such as it was, left much to be desired. This one looks fantastic! (even if my daughter's hair doesn't )
DSC_0117.jpg

We exited to a crowded hub. Must be parade time!

DSC_0119.jpg

What a great feeling just to be there. Such a great evening.
DSC_0120.jpg

We walked toward Adventureland and POTC, but first I wanted to stop off and check out the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. I hadn't been on it since 1995:

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

erstwo

Original Poster
Pirates!
DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

After Pirates, I was SOOOOOO tired, but we had yet to conquer any of the mountains, so we headed farther in to Adventureland toward Splash and BTMRR. My son had no interest in Splash, so he and my husband rode BTMRR while my daughter and I rode Splash.

My Splash Mountain lap bar review: I couldn't really tell a difference. :D

Next, I rode BTMRR with my son. My husband and son had grabbed some fastpasses for BTMRR, so we decided to camp out on the bridge in front of Splash to watch the fireworks. Then it was time for some:

DSC_0145.jpg

That's right: pictures of the hairbow illuminated by fireworks. :lol: Kidding. I actually just never got a decent shot of the fireworks (or the hairbow.....:lookaroun)

After another ride on BTMRR, I was too exhausted to even think, so we called it a night.

erstwo

Original Poster
We were all so tired we slept until almost 9 the next morning! By the time we made it to the parking lot of DHS, it was almost 11. On the tram toward the gates, the announcement was made that there would be 2 performances of Fantasmic that night. Groan! I was certain there would be no fastpasses left for TSMM.

We headed toward Pixar Place anyway and score! There were fastpasses, but for 6:30 that night. We went ahead and fastpassed it and headed for:

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

I think I could see this show 5,000 times, all the singing could be awful (which it never is) and they could do the blacklight portion with a spotlight on and I would still walk away amazed, just by the 'mermaid tail to blue dress' trick! Ha!

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

erstwo

Original Poster
After The Voyage of the Little Mermaid, we headed for The Great Movie Ride. Along the way we saw the Disney Channel Rocks show, and we stopped to watch:
DSC_0175.jpg

And dance a little:

DSC_0180.jpg

Then it was on to The Great Movie Ride. A Disney first for us!

DSC_0183.jpg

We loved it, but everyone except my husband kept their head down during the Alien scene. :)

After the ride, we were all starving, so we headed for Fairfax Fare and Rosie's All American Cafe:

DSC_0186.jpg

The aftermath.

DSC_0187.jpg

Totally ready to join in the DHS streetmosphere cast!

And speaking of streetmosphere, my husband and kiddos watched some great performers while I rode the Rockin Roller Coaster twice! in the single riders line.

When I was done, it was time to head to our second park of the day - Animal Kingdom.

erstwo

Original Poster
Once at AK, we headed straight for Africa. It was almost parade time and people were lining the parade route, so we hoped there would be little to no line at the Safari. No such luck, still just under an hour. We decided to try our luck later and headed for Conservation Station instead:

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0193.jpg

Once down from Conservation Station, we walked the Pangani Trail and then decided it was already time for dinner! Yak and Yeti here we come! While we waited for our food, we entertained ourselves by taking silly pictures (a habit in our family, as I am sure you can clearly see!)

DSC_0204.jpg

After dinner, it was time for our fastpasses for Toy Story Midway Mania over in DHS. The kids were still begging to ride it, so we headed for the front of the park:

DSC_0219.jpg

and to the car. DHS here we come! Again!

After a great ride on TSMM, it was time to head for Cape Canaveral. The shuttle was set to launch the next morning and we had to be on the bus by 5:30am Eastern time! :eek:

We got to our hotel in Cape Canaveral around 8 and were in bed by 9. Early the next morning, we boarded our bus:

DSC_0224.jpg

And headed back for Kennedy:
DSC_0229.jpg

After a tile repair at less than 2 hours to go, and what seemed like an eternal 9 minute hold, Endeavour launched into history on it's final mission:

DSC_0239.jpg

And it was awesome! I am so proud to be from a country that pioneers exploration and innovation.

And so ends my tornado driven, rocket fueled trip report! It was totally unexpected, and completely unforseen - but sometimes that's just how the best things in life happen! Right?

Thanks for reading!

foreverbelle

I really enjoyed reading this.

You have a beautiful family. Your kids are adorable. I mean seriously..

I know it was never planned and at times it felt like bad timing but I am glad you guys made the best of it anyway. Or at least the best you could.

Thank you for the pictures of the devastation. I know that may sound weird, but not living close to it, the impact of the pictures seemed to hit me harder when I saw them.:(

Its funny you were talking about the President and getting close. I take it for granted since I live in Northern VA, and work in DC, I seem to always say oh its just the president again. Never realizing how people outside of the area think its amazing and cool. :eek:

I hope things have calmed down for your community, may you guys get back on your feet....

Oh look there is more.. Hmm..must go read...

erstwo

Original Poster
I really enjoyed reading this.

You have a beautiful family. Your kids are adorable. I mean seriously..

I know it was never planned and at times it felt like bad timing but I am glad you guys made the best of it anyway. Or at least the best you could.

Thank you for the pictures of the devastation. I know that may sound weird, but not living close to it, the impact of the pictures seemed to hit me harder when I saw them.:(

Its funny you were talking about the President and getting close. I take it for granted since I live in Northern VA, and work in DC, I seem to always say oh its just the president again. Never realizing how people outside of the area think its amazing and cool. :eek:

I hope things have calmed down for your community, may you guys get back on your feet....

Oh look there is more.. Hmm..must go read...

Thank you so much!

It really was impressive to me to see the President - I know it sounds dorky, but things like that are really cool to me. I could see why it would become routine if you lived closer though!

I think we are finding a new normal in our area. The best thing has been seeing how everyone is helping one another. It really has been amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom