My Magic Kingdom trip report (Sept. 2023), comparisons to Universal, and why the Genie+ is not necessary

So I will weigh the pros and cons. I'll let you in on it, it is mostly pros. Disney still does the parks well, you can't deny that. I do have some concerns as a lifelong fan of the parks and I will get into that here.

So we did a couple of days at Universal, did both parks. They were great. Crowds were manageable and the lines were shorter than at Magic Kingdom and seemed to flow a lot better. I will say what I have always said before, if you are a Disney fan you still need to check out Universal Studios. For me though Islands of Adventure is superior to Universal Studios. It is one of those "Terminator 2" types of things where the second park is better than the first one. The sequel is better. Universal does rely a little too much on the simulators and the screens. Fast and Furious, Transformers, Jimmy Fallon, Simpsons, etc. It is too much on that side of the park. Men in Black makes you a little dizzy too. Even the Minions ride does. The classics are still good though. E.T., Mummy, great rides. Still the best in the park I think. And that Bourne Stuntacular was pretty good too as a show. Harry Potter Escape from the Gringotts is a great ride.

Islands of Adventure is still arguably the best park outside of Magic Kingdom in Florida. Epcot can certainly be argued too. But the rides are still great, the old ones too, very immersive, great theming. Very well done and the Potter section is still the best part of the park. You get the feeling Universal is going to go full blitz with Epic Universe in 2025. So we'll see.

Onto Magic Kingdom and Disney. So, the world has changed since the last time we were there in 2018. Not in a good way either. I can remember parking and just walking into Disney Springs. Now they have controlled entrances and exits. Plus a metal detector and guards at the entrances. They weren't unfriendly or anything, but it wasn't the welcome that you expect. The Boardwalk still allows people to walk in freely and other than the resorts around the MK lagoon I can't remember metal detectors at the front. But it was still a surprise to me. Then there was the lack of boats at Disney Springs. That had changed. Apparently they ditched the two other docks in Disney Springs in 2020 and then just have the far right go to and from the resorts. So that changed too, again, a different sort of customer service being taken away that you don't expect from Disney. The Boardwalk still had all the boats running though.

So going into Magic Kingdom there was the bag check at the TTC. That took far longer than it should have and I guess it was random because my wife got pegged for a check but I saw plenty of people with bags walk through. Then we take the ferry and get to the gate but my wife did not have her ID. Again, that was new. I had my wallet of course but she didn't. So we get held up a few minutes at the guest services part as they print up some cards for us to get in. I will say that there definitely lacked that classic Disney spirit at the front of the park. The guards weren't polite, and it made you long for the 1990s when all you did was show them a ticket and walk in. It is the paranoid world we live in, so I can't hang all of it on Disney. Heck, some people give this sort of paranoia a thumbs up. I don't. So it did sort of give a bit of a dent to the start of the day. I was not a fan of how they did the Tron thing either. Why not just have a normal line up? This is something I hope is not done for the future. If the line up is 120 minutes then you at least know it. Hey, great ride and all, but I sincerely hope this is not a new thing for Disney to have your phone get a notification.

It was a little sad seeing Splash Mountain gone. And I am not sure how much they are going to alter the Country Bears but it was nice to see the old school show that has the same songs/characters. That is the thing with Disney, there isn't a lot of optimism that they are going to improve the CBJ, and ditto for Splash Mountain. When your guests think an inferior product is going into what they already have then it isn't a good thing.

But onto the good things. We were there from 9am-10pm. Maybe more like 10am though. Still a long day. All of the rides are just like we remember, and our kids are now all old enough to remember things now too. We did NOT use the Genie +. This may be unpopular, but it is not needed. It is a drain on the park and the guests. Here are the big things we didn't do: Peter Pan and Snow White's Mine Train. That's it. Maybe you think Tom Sawyer's Island is big as well as the Liberty Belle Riverboat because we missed those as well. I like those, but it wasn't a big deal breaker. We did everything else. Tron, Space, Thunder, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Mermaid, even the shows like Monsters Inc., CoP, HoP, CBJ, Tiki Birds. Walked around the Swiss Family Treehouse too. Actually saw the daytime parade but because of long lines and some rain that cost us having Thunder close temporarily (we got on it later in the day) we decided to skip the fireworks. Oh, and we were on Winnie the Pooh and I forgot just how horrible that ride loads. For about 5 minutes we didn't even budge. I like the ride, but they were letting the Genie + people in and ignoring the stand by line. So we got off of it and for the last couple of hours did some big names.

By the way, Philharmagic is still the same show but I like the addition of Coco in there. This is the Disney I know. Keep the classics in there, improve on it without cutting it up (like they seem to want to do to the Bears). My son's favourite show was Hall of Presidents. Actually all of our kids loved it. I did too at their age.

So Magic Kingdom is still the best day out there. The best experience and has the best shows/rides that stick with you. Lots of attention to detail and still tons of nostalgia. I worry about the future because I don't think the powers to be want to keep it that way. The best attractions are still the ones Walt had a hand in, even 57 years after his death. There is just that touch that can't be beat.

Here is what I think about Genie +. It is for suckers. People got sucked in thinking they need it. You don't. The 1990s version of peeling through the parks still works. Stick to a section and do it. Make a decision on what is worth waiting and what isn't. Don't waste time walking all over the place. The lines flowed better 30 years ago than they do today. If no one bought it the parks would be better off. Granted I did go on a day that was in between two Halloween parties that had the parks closing at 6pm. However, someone at our resort went the day after us and said the rides were mostly walk ons for the 9-6pm days. The longest wait was 20 minutes for them. So there might be something to that. Anyway, Magic is still the best park but Disney can still be their own worst enemy. Their customer service did lack a bit I felt than what you expect. They can't let that happen. No one wants to see them turn into a Six Flags sort of operation. But they do need to do something about the lines. Go back to the original fastpass or have nothing at all. It would be a better flow. And I still think more dark attractions like in Disneyland is the key to spreading out the lines.

Lastly, the Skyliner is nice. Loved it. It was being erected last time we were there. But the rides are very picturesque. Something good to do if you want to visit the resorts. Which we did. Very Disneyparks-like.

Last edited:

DisneyHead123

We actually had someone that had just gotton back fron Disney brag to us that they rented a scooter so that they could get on rides faster. They said it worked great. The parked in a special spot. Went in ahead of the line and got on the ride. We didn't say anything but we were upset that someone would do that.
I think that might have been a tall tale based on old Disney stories they heard from others. (strange thing to brag about though.) A scooter or wheelchair hasn’t gotten you to the front of the line at Disney since the 80s and maybe 90s, unless there’s a policy I don’t know about.

Eric Graham

We also really enjoyed the Skyliner when we went recently. I wanted a photo of the Coco car, but was unable to catch it. I did get a photo of Monsters Inc and Zootopia. I thought that someone from Disney should make postcards of all the skyliner vehicles and sell them to guests. I really liked the Riviera Hotel a lot also. I thought all of the photos in the hotel with Walt and his family in France were so wonderful for their work on the background of Disney. I also really liked all of the movies (especially Frozen) being all in French. The chicken sandwich at the walk up restaurant was so good, and the staff at the hotel and restaurant were so very friendly.

nickys

Premium Member
Agree with you on Genie. I’ve been to the parks dozens of times since it premiered and I’ve never used it a single time. And it’s never been an issue at MK, AK, or Epcot to not have it. I just hit up the attractions at the times they aren’t busy, I never wait in any lines, and it’s crazy to me that so many people actually pay for an experience I have no trouble getting for free time and time again.

DHS is the only place it gets annoying not having Genie. But even the headliners there are walk ons at park closing when they shut off lighting lane, so I just pick a different big ride to do each visit
The clue is in the bolded part @Laura . Of course if you go loads of times you don’t need Genie+ , why would you? Like you say you can choose one of the “big” rides to do each time last thing in the evening.

And sure, if like the OP you are happy to do 12 hours in a park you can hit most of the rides without it.

But if your trip is your first, or first in day 6 years and you don’t know if you’ll be back, then you want you make sure you really can ride everything you want to. So paying for Genie+ at least for a few days makes sense.

Laura

Premium Member
The clue is in the bolded part @Laura . Of course if you go loads of times you don’t need Genie+ , why would you? Like you say you can choose one of the “big” rides to do each time last thing in the evening.

And sure, if like the OP you are happy to do 12 hours in a park you can hit most of the rides without it.

But if your trip is your first, or first in day 6 years and you don’t know if you’ll be back, then you want you make sure you really can ride everything you want to. So paying for Genie+ at least for a few days makes sense.

Yeah totally if it’s a rare or once in a lifetime trip, investing in Genie makes sense so that you don’t run the risk of missing anything. But I don’t think it’s a worthwhile expenditure for someone who visits annually as I think it is more relaxing and freeing to meander around and do things as you come to them.

I do still think though that you can see and do it all with mimimal waiting if you have enough days there, which the rare trips usually are long enough. You just have to divvy up the headliners over multiple days to be able to focus on them at the least busy times. From my own analysis, an 8+ day long trip without genie and without waiting in line much is completely doable.

nickys

Premium Member
Yeah totally if it’s a rare or once in a lifetime trip, investing in Genie makes sense so that you don’t run the risk of missing anything. But I don’t think it’s a worthwhile expenditure for someone who visits annually as I think it is more relaxing and freeing to meander around and do things as you come to them.

I do still think though that you can see and do it all with mimimal waiting if you have enough days there, which the rare trips usually are long enough. You just have to divvy up the headliners over multiple days to be able to focus on them at the least busy times. From my own analysis, an 8+ day long trip without genie and without waiting in line much is completely doable.
We had 7 or 8 days in the parks over Christmas. But we mixed in all sorts of other things, like boat from OKW to DS, then over to Epcot in time for a late lunch, maybe 3-4 hours in the park and then to POR for dinner and Yee Ha Bob. So even with a long trip we still rarely spent more than 4-5 hours in a park. Plus we like to wander and explore.

I get that it’s our choice to do that, and most people would rather “get their money’s worth” by doing twice that length of time in the parks. But for us, G+ was a way to ride almost everything we wanted to without having to go full days in the park. We still didn’t do all the resort things we wanted to though. And there were a few things we didn’t get round to do in the parks that I had wanted to do.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
We actually had someone that had just gotton back fron Disney brag to us that they rented a scooter so that they could get on rides faster. They said it worked great. The parked in a special spot. Went in ahead of the line and got on the ride. We didn't say anything but we were upset that someone would do that.

Oh I believe there are those that brag about it.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster

The issue I have is that it was almost unthinkable to charge guests for a fastpass even 10-12 years ago. It was a nice little free thing on your ticket. It was spread out well. I noticed at Universal there is almost no use for getting the equivalent of the lightning lane and you find that the lines in their parks flow a lot better. The problem I have now is that too many people buy the Genie+ thing and it has changed it for the worse. If you are Disney do you eliminate and extra $60 or $75 from a family if they are going to buy it? No. So that's the thing, the volume of people that have bought the Genie+ have made it worse all around for the flow of the parks. When you give a corporation an inch they'll take a mile.

NelleBelle

I think that might have been a tall tale based on old Disney stories they heard from others. (strange thing to brag about though.) A scooter or wheelchair hasn’t gotten you to the front of the line at Disney since the 80s and maybe 90s, unless there’s a policy I don’t know about.
When I went to DLR a couple years ago with a broken ankle (and using a wheelchair), there were many rides where we used an alternate entrance due to the queues not being wheelchair friendly. DCA we waiting in the regular queues for the most part.

DisneyHead123

When I went to DLR a couple years ago with a broken ankle (and using a wheelchair), there were many rides where we used an alternate entrance due to the queues not being wheelchair friendly. DCA we waiting in the regular queues for the most part.
That’s a good point, I was assuming Orlando but the comment did not say which Disney they went to.

graphite1326

Didn't sya front, But they didn't have to wait in the back of the line either.

NelleBelle

Didn't sya front, But they didn't have to wait in the back of the line either.
Maybe it just appeared that they didn’t wait when they really had to request a wheelchair return time? That’s what I had to do for the rides that I couldn’t use the regular queue? They basically didn’t want a bunch of wheelchairs waiting at the alternate entrances. It generally was about 10-15 mines than the standby queue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom