My Magic Kingdom trip report (Sept. 2023), comparisons to Universal, and why the Genie+ is not necessary

So I will weigh the pros and cons. I'll let you in on it, it is mostly pros. Disney still does the parks well, you can't deny that. I do have some concerns as a lifelong fan of the parks and I will get into that here.

So we did a couple of days at Universal, did both parks. They were great. Crowds were manageable and the lines were shorter than at Magic Kingdom and seemed to flow a lot better. I will say what I have always said before, if you are a Disney fan you still need to check out Universal Studios. For me though Islands of Adventure is superior to Universal Studios. It is one of those "Terminator 2" types of things where the second park is better than the first one. The sequel is better. Universal does rely a little too much on the simulators and the screens. Fast and Furious, Transformers, Jimmy Fallon, Simpsons, etc. It is too much on that side of the park. Men in Black makes you a little dizzy too. Even the Minions ride does. The classics are still good though. E.T., Mummy, great rides. Still the best in the park I think. And that Bourne Stuntacular was pretty good too as a show. Harry Potter Escape from the Gringotts is a great ride.

Islands of Adventure is still arguably the best park outside of Magic Kingdom in Florida. Epcot can certainly be argued too. But the rides are still great, the old ones too, very immersive, great theming. Very well done and the Potter section is still the best part of the park. You get the feeling Universal is going to go full blitz with Epic Universe in 2025. So we'll see.

Onto Magic Kingdom and Disney. So, the world has changed since the last time we were there in 2018. Not in a good way either. I can remember parking and just walking into Disney Springs. Now they have controlled entrances and exits. Plus a metal detector and guards at the entrances. They weren't unfriendly or anything, but it wasn't the welcome that you expect. The Boardwalk still allows people to walk in freely and other than the resorts around the MK lagoon I can't remember metal detectors at the front. But it was still a surprise to me. Then there was the lack of boats at Disney Springs. That had changed. Apparently they ditched the two other docks in Disney Springs in 2020 and then just have the far right go to and from the resorts. So that changed too, again, a different sort of customer service being taken away that you don't expect from Disney. The Boardwalk still had all the boats running though.

So going into Magic Kingdom there was the bag check at the TTC. That took far longer than it should have and I guess it was random because my wife got pegged for a check but I saw plenty of people with bags walk through. Then we take the ferry and get to the gate but my wife did not have her ID. Again, that was new. I had my wallet of course but she didn't. So we get held up a few minutes at the guest services part as they print up some cards for us to get in. I will say that there definitely lacked that classic Disney spirit at the front of the park. The guards weren't polite, and it made you long for the 1990s when all you did was show them a ticket and walk in. It is the paranoid world we live in, so I can't hang all of it on Disney. Heck, some people give this sort of paranoia a thumbs up. I don't. So it did sort of give a bit of a dent to the start of the day. I was not a fan of how they did the Tron thing either. Why not just have a normal line up? This is something I hope is not done for the future. If the line up is 120 minutes then you at least know it. Hey, great ride and all, but I sincerely hope this is not a new thing for Disney to have your phone get a notification.

It was a little sad seeing Splash Mountain gone. And I am not sure how much they are going to alter the Country Bears but it was nice to see the old school show that has the same songs/characters. That is the thing with Disney, there isn't a lot of optimism that they are going to improve the CBJ, and ditto for Splash Mountain. When your guests think an inferior product is going into what they already have then it isn't a good thing.

But onto the good things. We were there from 9am-10pm. Maybe more like 10am though. Still a long day. All of the rides are just like we remember, and our kids are now all old enough to remember things now too. We did NOT use the Genie +. This may be unpopular, but it is not needed. It is a drain on the park and the guests. Here are the big things we didn't do: Peter Pan and Snow White's Mine Train. That's it. Maybe you think Tom Sawyer's Island is big as well as the Liberty Belle Riverboat because we missed those as well. I like those, but it wasn't a big deal breaker. We did everything else. Tron, Space, Thunder, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Mermaid, even the shows like Monsters Inc., CoP, HoP, CBJ, Tiki Birds. Walked around the Swiss Family Treehouse too. Actually saw the daytime parade but because of long lines and some rain that cost us having Thunder close temporarily (we got on it later in the day) we decided to skip the fireworks. Oh, and we were on Winnie the Pooh and I forgot just how horrible that ride loads. For about 5 minutes we didn't even budge. I like the ride, but they were letting the Genie + people in and ignoring the stand by line. So we got off of it and for the last couple of hours did some big names.

By the way, Philharmagic is still the same show but I like the addition of Coco in there. This is the Disney I know. Keep the classics in there, improve on it without cutting it up (like they seem to want to do to the Bears). My son's favourite show was Hall of Presidents. Actually all of our kids loved it. I did too at their age.

So Magic Kingdom is still the best day out there. The best experience and has the best shows/rides that stick with you. Lots of attention to detail and still tons of nostalgia. I worry about the future because I don't think the powers to be want to keep it that way. The best attractions are still the ones Walt had a hand in, even 57 years after his death. There is just that touch that can't be beat.

Here is what I think about Genie +. It is for suckers. People got sucked in thinking they need it. You don't. The 1990s version of peeling through the parks still works. Stick to a section and do it. Make a decision on what is worth waiting and what isn't. Don't waste time walking all over the place. The lines flowed better 30 years ago than they do today. If no one bought it the parks would be better off. Granted I did go on a day that was in between two Halloween parties that had the parks closing at 6pm. However, someone at our resort went the day after us and said the rides were mostly walk ons for the 9-6pm days. The longest wait was 20 minutes for them. So there might be something to that. Anyway, Magic is still the best park but Disney can still be their own worst enemy. Their customer service did lack a bit I felt than what you expect. They can't let that happen. No one wants to see them turn into a Six Flags sort of operation. But they do need to do something about the lines. Go back to the original fastpass or have nothing at all. It would be a better flow. And I still think more dark attractions like in Disneyland is the key to spreading out the lines.

Lastly, the Skyliner is nice. Loved it. It was being erected last time we were there. But the rides are very picturesque. Something good to do if you want to visit the resorts. Which we did. Very Disneyparks-like.

Last edited:

crawale

So I will weigh the pros and cons. I'll let you in on it, it is mostly pros. Disney still does the parks well, you can't deny that. I do have some concerns as a lifelong fan of the parks and I will get into that here.

So we did a couple of days at Universal, did both parks. They were great. Crowds were manageable and the lines were shorter than at Magic Kingdom and seemed to flow a lot better. I will say what I have always said before, if you are a Disney fan you still need to check out Universal Studios. For me though Islands of Adventure is superior to Universal Studios. It is one of those "Terminator 2" types of things where the second park is better than the first one. The sequel is better. Universal does rely a little too much on the simulators and the screens. Fast and Furious, Transformers, Jimmy Fallon, Simpsons, etc. It is too much on that side of the park. Men in Black makes you a little dizzy too. Even the Minions ride does. The classics are still good though. E.T., Mummy, great rides. Still the best in the park I think. And that Bourne Stuntacular was pretty good too as a show. Harry Potter Escape from the Gringotts is a great ride.

Islands of Adventure is still arguably the best park outside of Magic Kingdom in Florida. Epcot can certainly be argued too. But the rides are still great, the old ones too, very immersive, great theming. Very well done and the Potter section is still the best part of the park. You get the feeling Universal is going to go full blitz with Epic Universe in 2025. So we'll see.

Onto Magic Kingdom and Disney. So, the world has changed since the last time we were there in 2018. Not in a good way either. I can remember parking and just walking into Disney Springs. Now they have controlled entrances and exits. Plus a metal detector and guards at the entrances. They weren't unfriendly or anything, but it wasn't the welcome that you expect. The Boardwalk still allows people to walk in freely and other than the resorts around the MK lagoon I can't remember metal detectors at the front. But it was still a surprise to me. Then there was the lack of boats at Disney Springs. That had changed. Apparently they ditched the two other docks in Disney Springs in 2020 and then just have the far right go to and from the resorts. So that changed too, again, a different sort of customer service being taken away that you don't expect from Disney. The Boardwalk still had all the boats running though.

So going into Magic Kingdom there was the bag check at the TTC. That took far longer than it should have and I guess it was random because my wife got pegged for a check but I saw plenty of people with bags walk through. Then we take the ferry and get to the gate but my wife did not have her ID. Again, that was new. I had my wallet of course but she didn't. So we get held up a few minutes at the guest services part as they print up some cards for us to get in. I will say that there definitely lacked that classic Disney spirit at the front of the park. The guards weren't polite, and it made you long for the 1990s when all you did was show them a ticket and walk in. It is the paranoid world we live in, so I can't hang all of it on Disney. Heck, some people give this sort of paranoia a thumbs up. I don't. So it did sort of give a bit of a dent to the start of the day. I was not a fan of how they did the Tron thing either. Why not just have a normal line up? This is something I hope is not done for the future. If the line up is 120 minutes then you at least know it. Hey, great ride and all, but I sincerely hope this is not a new thing for Disney to have your phone get a notification.

It was a little sad seeing Splash Mountain gone. And I am not sure how much they are going to alter the Country Bears but it was nice to see the old school show that has the same songs/characters. That is the thing with Disney, there isn't a lot of optimism that they are going to improve the CBJ, and ditto for Splash Mountain. When your guests think an inferior product is going into what they already have then it isn't a good thing.

But onto the good things. We were there from 9am-10pm. Maybe more like 10am though. Still a long day. All of the rides are just like we remember, and our kids are now all old enough to remember things now too. We did NOT use the Genie +. This may be unpopular, but it is not needed. It is a drain on the park and the guests. Here are the big things we didn't do: Peter Pan and Snow White's Mine Train. That's it. Maybe you think Tom Sawyer's Island is big as well as the Liberty Belle Riverboat because we missed those as well. I like those, but it wasn't a big deal breaker. We did everything else. Tron, Space, Thunder, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Small World, Mermaid, even the shows like Monsters Inc., CoP, HoP, CBJ, Tiki Birds. Walked around the Swiss Family Treehouse too. Actually saw the daytime parade but because of long lines and some rain that cost us having Thunder close temporarily (we got on it later in the day) we decided to skip the fireworks. Oh, and we were on Winnie the Pooh and I forgot just how horrible that ride loads. For about 5 minutes we didn't even budge. I like the ride, but they were letting the Genie + people in and ignoring the stand by line. So we got off of it and for the last couple of hours did some big names.

By the way, Philharmagic is still the same show but I like the addition of Coco in there. This is the Disney I know. Keep the classics in there, improve on it without cutting it up (like they seem to want to do to the Bears). My son's favourite show was Hall of Presidents. Actually all of our kids loved it. I did too at their age.

So Magic Kingdom is still the best day out there. The best experience and has the best shows/rides that stick with you. Lots of attention to detail and still tons of nostalgia. I worry about the future because I don't think the powers to be want to keep it that way. The best attractions are still the ones Walt had a hand in, even 57 years after his death. There is just that touch that can't be beat.

Here is what I think about Genie +. It is for suckers. People got sucked in thinking they need it. You don't. The 1990s version of peeling through the parks still works. Stick to a section and do it. Make a decision on what is worth waiting and what isn't. Don't waste time walking all over the place. The lines flowed better 30 years ago than they do today. If no one bought it the parks would be better off. Granted I did go on a day that was in between two Halloween parties that had the parks closing at 6pm. However, someone at our resort went the day after us and said the rides were mostly walk ons for the 9-6pm days. The longest wait was 20 minutes for them. So there might be something to that. Anyway, Magic is still the best park but Disney can still be their own worst enemy. Their customer service did lack a bit I felt than what you expect. They can't let that happen. No one wants to see them turn into a Six Flags sort of operation. But they do need to do something about the lines. Go back to the original fastpass or have nothing at all. It would be a better flow. And I still think more dark attractions like in Disneyland is the key to spreading out the lines.

Lastly, the Skyliner is nice. Loved it. It was being erected last time we were there. But the rides are very picturesque. Something good to do if you want to visit the resorts. Which we did. Very Disneyparks-like.
If you stay at one of Universal's premier hotels - Hard Rock, Portofino or Royal Pacific then your room key is your fast pass to skip the lines on most of the rides. You can but this 'express pass' as an add on but for a family of four the pass more than pays for the extra cost of the hotels. Having said that the hotels at Universal are very nice and the premier much better than the medium class Disney hotels which compare by price.
Service is as it used to be at Disney - we had been to the Luau at the Royal Pacific and wanted to get a taxi back to the Hard Rock. No taxi wanted to go that little distance so the chief bell hop took us in the hotel's car saving us 2 boat rides.
Not only are packages delivered to your hotel but to your room and in every case for our visit on the same day.
Last time we visited Universal was approx five years ago and then I would have said it ran a poor second to Disney, however now the service and amenities have improved while Disney's have gone way down.

Laura

Premium Member
Agree with you on Genie. I’ve been to the parks dozens of times since it premiered and I’ve never used it a single time. And it’s never been an issue at MK, AK, or Epcot to not have it. I just hit up the attractions at the times they aren’t busy, I never wait in any lines, and it’s crazy to me that so many people actually pay for an experience I have no trouble getting for free time and time again.

DHS is the only place it gets annoying not having Genie. But even the headliners there are walk ons at park closing when they shut off lighting lane, so I just pick a different big ride to do each visit.

I agree with you on just about everything you wrote actually!

The customer service difference between Universal and Disney is something I’ve noticed a lot more lately. It used to be that Disney bathed all their guests in magic and pixie dust while Universal had a “too bad so sad” attitude. Lately the opposite has been true in my experience. I’ve been blown away lately by the kindness and exceptional service at Universal. The employees seem genuinely happy to be there and want the guests to have a great time. At Disney, the CMs seem like they are just trying to survive each day in the trenches.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Agree with you on Genie. I’ve been to the parks dozens of times since it premiered and I’ve never used it a single time. And it’s never been an issue at MK, AK, or Epcot to not have it. I just hit up the attractions at the times they aren’t busy, I never wait in any lines, and it’s crazy to me that so many people actually pay for an experience I have no trouble getting for free time and time again.

DHS is the only place it gets annoying not having Genie. But even the headliners there are walk ons at park closing when they shut off lighting lane, so I just pick a different big ride to do each visit.

I agree with you on just about everything you wrote actually!

The customer service difference between Universal and Disney is something I’ve noticed a lot more lately. It used to be that Disney bathed all their guests in magic and pixie dust while Universal had a “too bad so sad” attitude. Lately the opposite has been true in my experience. I’ve been blown away lately by the kindness and exceptional service at Universal. The employees seem genuinely happy to be there and want the guests to have a great time. At Disney, the CMs seem like they are just trying to survive each day in the trenches.

Is is just a lowering of standards with Disney? Because there did seem to be a little less pixie dust in the parks. I don't know why. Do the new employees not have the same heart for the company? Or is it the training?

I was telling people on here even before we went that Genie+ is not necessary. We have 5 people in our family, that's $75 on top of already pricey tickets. No thanks. We barely missed a headliner as well. We just stuck to the old school method of doing one section at a time, and it saves on walking and wasting time. If we all stopped buying Genie+ things would be better for everyone in the parks - overnight. After all of this time I am shocked they can't figure out a way to speed up Peter Pan for instance. They've had plenty of time to figure that out, even a short refurbishment would do the trick. 60 minutes or more for a 3 minute ride isn't worth it. So we skipped it again. Disney shouldn't be soaking people for money with these sort of passes.

Laura

Premium Member
Is is just a lowering of standards with Disney? Because there did seem to be a little less pixie dust in the parks. I don't know why. Do the new employees not have the same heart for the company? Or is it the training?

I was telling people on here even before we went that Genie+ is not necessary. We have 5 people in our family, that's $75 on top of already pricey tickets. No thanks. We barely missed a headliner as well. We just stuck to the old school method of doing one section at a time, and it saves on walking and wasting time. If we all stopped buying Genie+ things would be better for everyone in the parks - overnight. After all of this time I am shocked they can't figure out a way to speed up Peter Pan for instance. They've had plenty of time to figure that out, even a short refurbishment would do the trick. 60 minutes or more for a 3 minute ride isn't worth it. So we skipped it again. Disney shouldn't be soaking people for money with these sort of passes.
My theory (no evidence, just observation) is that Disney guests are a lot more demanding, selfish, and impatient because of how much money they are spending, and they are taking it out on poorly paid CMs. At Universal you can have a much better time for much less money, and the visitors are a lot more chill. There’s also wayyyy less strollers at Universal so it is easy to assume a much smaller percentage of Universal’s visitors are exhausted stressed out parents of babies and toddlers. The whole vibe is nicer at Universal. Also my son’s girlfriend started working for Universal at a basic bottom of the ladder job a few months ago and she has so many perks it’s ridiculous. Almost every week she has a crazy awesome employee appreciation event or behind the scenes tour on top of all the other free stuff and discounts they give her. She’s living her best life, and getting paid much better than someone starting at the bottom at Disney. Honestly I wonder if she even works at all or if they just pay her to have a good time. 😂

And I agree that it’s a much more enjoyable time picking any ride you want in any order you want and not being a slave to an app or even paper fastpasses. There is nothing about Genie that appeals to me at all.

(As far as Peter Pan, you have to hit it right before or during fireworks and you’ll walk right onto it. I rarely wait over 5 minutes for it.)

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
We were just there the beginning of Sept and I don’t recall anyone asking for ID for either myself or my mom.

Never happened to us either before the other day. We had the tickets, the cast member at the gate asked for ID for anyone over 18. Two of us had it, my wife didn't have her wallet and therefore didn't have it. We didn't do the fingerprint thing either at the gate. So we spoke to guest services and it got straightened out pretty promptly - like in 5 minutes - but it still was wasting time.

It makes you miss the 1990s when there weren't anything but paper tickets you handed to them and there weren't metal detectors or even bag checks like the new-age paranoia we see today, that also slows things down.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
My theory (no evidence, just observation) is that Disney guests are a lot more demanding, selfish, and impatient because of how much money they are spending, and they are taking it out on poorly paid CMs. At Universal you can have a much better time for much less money, and the visitors are a lot more chill. There’s also wayyyy less strollers at Universal so it is easy to assume a much smaller percentage of Universal’s visitors are exhausted stressed out parents of babies and toddlers. The whole vibe is nicer at Universal. Also my son’s girlfriend started working for Universal at a basic bottom of the ladder job a few months ago and she has so many perks it’s ridiculous. Almost every week she has a crazy awesome employee appreciation event or behind the scenes tour on top of all the other free stuff and discounts they give her. She’s living her best life, and getting paid much better than someone starting at the bottom at Disney. Honestly I wonder if she even works at all or if they just pay her to have a good time. 😂

And I agree that it’s a much more enjoyable time picking any ride you want in any order you want and not being a slave to an app or even paper fastpasses. There is nothing about Genie that appeals to me at all.

(As far as Peter Pan, you have to hit it right before or during fireworks and you’ll walk right onto it. I rarely wait over 5 minutes for it.)

Fair points. We did miss the fireworks only because I wanted to hit some stuff with small lines at that time. Pan wasn't one of them unfortunately. Haunted Mansion we walked on in under 10 minutes. Thunder Mountain was not even 15 minutes. Then a bit of a longer wait for Jungle Cruise (20 minutes maybe) around 9pm. We had to hit Thunder because we got caught in the line up when they shut it down and lightning and thunder were happening. So it would have left a bad taste in our mouths if we didn't try it again and get on it, but we did.

Yeah I can say for sure that the amount of strollers and scooters has NOT declined. Our first time taking the kids our youngest was under 2 years old. We had a stroller for her. A year later she was 2 and a half and we did not have a stroller for her and she was with us for all 12 hours. Passed on on the Ferry on the way back, and the odd time we carried her around, but she was a trooper. And it was so much easier. Why there are kids who are 5-6 years old in strollers is beyond me. It just clogs up space, you want to smack the parents for that sort of thing. I also know there are some legitimate seniors that need a scooter. I get it, no issue there. And while there might be a person hurt in a way I can't quite notice on the surface, let's face it, there are plenty of people who take advantage of the scooters when they don't need them. Imagine how much more room there would be if there was a huge drop in strollers/scooters.

I hear you about the Universal/Disney crowds. Yeah I think there are spoiled Disney fans. We shared a Skyliner with a couple of women on our trip and they sort of had their own conversation going on, but it was nauseating. One of them was talking about how she let her daughter get the makeover at MK and it cost $80 or so and as soon as she started walking around she took down her hair! She said "Well, I just want to give them what they want because of the trauma I had in my childhood." No kidding, she used the word "trauma" and then went onto explain how when her parents took her to theme parks they had to - hang onto your hats - bring their own lunch into the parks. Not kidding. So yeah, there is a fanbase of the parks that I wish they wouldn't always pander towards.

BuddyThomas

Genie + worked perfectly fine for us at Disneyland recently. We got on many rides that we would not have gotten to go on without it. There were many two hour lines and we didn’t have to wait for any of them.

As to security, it was the same thing getting into Disneyland. Disney parks are some of the most targeted (for attacks) spots in the world and I do not fault them at all in being proactive to protect their guests and staff.

DisneyHead123

Yeah I can say for sure that the amount of strollers and scooters has NOT declined. Our first time taking the kids our youngest was under 2 years old. We had a stroller for her. A year later she was 2 and a half and we did not have a stroller for her and she was with us for all 12 hours. Passed on on the Ferry on the way back, and the odd time we carried her around, but she was a trooper. And it was so much easier. Why there are kids who are 5-6 years old in strollers is beyond me. It just clogs up space, you want to smack the parents for that sort of thing. I also know there are some legitimate seniors that need a scooter. I get it, no issue there. And while there might be a person hurt in a way I can't quite notice on the surface, let's face it, there are plenty of people who take advantage of the scooters when they don't need them. Imagine how much more room there would be if there was a huge drop in strollers/scooters.

I hear you about the Universal/Disney crowds. Yeah I think there are spoiled Disney fans. We shared a Skyliner with a couple of women on our trip and they sort of had their own conversation going on, but it was nauseating. One of them was talking about how she let her daughter get the makeover at MK and it cost $80 or so and as soon as she started walking around she took down her hair! She said "Well, I just want to give them what they want because of the trauma I had in my childhood." No kidding, she used the word "trauma" and then went onto explain how when her parents took her to theme parks they had to - hang onto your hats - bring their own lunch into the parks. Not kidding. So yeah, there is a fanbase of the parks that I wish they wouldn't always pander towards.
Talking about “smacking parents” is a bit much. Rates of invisible disabilities have shot through the roof in industrialized nations in recent years. Autism, ADHD, low muscle tone that prevents walking long distances, sensory issues, etc. A child might need a stroller for a multitude of reasons. Not to mention that some kids are just huge. My 3-year-old gets mistaken for a 5-year-old because he’s extremely tall. Ditto for the girl who didn’t want to keep her Bippity Boppity Boutique hairstyle. Maybe she had sensory issues and found she couldn’t tolerate having her hair pulled back tightly, even though she dreamed about having a “princess” makeover experience.

I’m not saying there aren’t entitled or rude people out there, just that it’s better to withhold judgement. If it’s a stranger, you can’t know what their situation is.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Talking about “smacking parents” is a bit much. Rates of invisible disabilities have shot through the roof in industrialized nations in recent years. Autism, ADHD, low muscle tone that prevents walking long distances, sensory issues, etc. A child might need a stroller for a multitude of reasons. Not to mention that some kids are just huge. My 3-year-old gets mistaken for a 5-year-old because he’s extremely tall. Ditto for the girl who didn’t want to keep her Bippity Boppity Boutique hairstyle. Maybe she had sensory issues and found she couldn’t tolerate having her hair pulled back tightly, even though she dreamed about having a “princess” makeover experience.

I’m not saying there aren’t entitled or rude people out there, just that it’s better to withhold judgement. If it’s a stranger, you can’t know what their situation is.

Obviously I don't say anything directly to the people, simply because there is a chance it could be a genuine disability. But let's face it, not everyone rolling around in a scooter needs it. Many of them could use a good walk. And there are plenty of kids being coddled as well in strollers that don't need it, even if there is the odd one with an invisible disability we don't see. Imagine how much more room there would be in the parks with less of these things rolling around and the ones that should be walking actually did so.

DisneyHead123

Obviously I don't say anything directly to the people, simply because there is a chance it could be a genuine disability. But let's face it, not everyone rolling around in a scooter needs it. Many of them could use a good walk. And there are plenty of kids being coddled as well in strollers that don't need it, even if there is the odd one with an invisible disability we don't see. Imagine how much more room there would be in the parks with less of these things rolling around and the ones that should be walking actually did so.
17% of children in the US have a developmental disability of some sort (likely more since Covid), so I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that the majority of these kids are just “coddled”. I wouldn’t rule it out either - just saying if you don’t know them, you have no way of knowing.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
17% of children in the US have a developmental disability of some sort (likely more since Covid), so I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that the majority of these kids are just “coddled”. I wouldn’t rule it out either - just saying if you don’t know them, you have no way of knowing.

That is true, yes. There can be something to this. On the flip side, as I said before, there is certainly kids whose parents are letting them be lazy and actually need the exercise. I think both sides can be true.

DisneyHead123

That is true, yes. There can be something to this. On the flip side, as I said before, there is certainly kids whose parents are letting them be lazy and actually need the exercise. I think both sides can be true.
Yeah I think you just can’t know what the situation is. And I think it’s harder for young kids to build stamina in 2023. They have to sit for hours and hours at school, they can’t run around outside with other kids on the block because in most places that isn’t a thing anymore - an average 5 year old would very very rarely be walking for miles in a day, so of course they can’t suddenly do that when they arrive at Disney World. Lots of great things about the modern world but that one is a bit of a bummer.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Yeah I think you just can’t know what the situation is. And I think it’s harder for young kids to build stamina in 2023. They have to sit for hours and hours at school, they can’t run around outside with other kids on the block because in most places that isn’t a thing anymore - an average 5 year old would very very rarely be walking for miles in a day, so of course they can’t suddenly do that when they arrive at Disney World. Lots of great things about the modern world but that one is a bit of a bummer.

I think that is the modern parent's fault in general. Our kids walk to school still. Three of them all 12 and under spent 13 hours at Magic Kingdom doing a LOT of walking and they did it and none of them complained about their legs hurting. They play outside, they play sports, and yeah they still watch TV and do more technology than I would like, but they are active, they go to their friends' houses, etc, play on the street (we are the classic 1980s parents in 2023). So I think it is up to the parents if they want their kid to have that old school stamina/immune system or not. Our do, I'll say that.

DisneyHead123

I think that is the modern parent's fault in general. Our kids walk to school still. Three of them all 12 and under spent 13 hours at Magic Kingdom doing a LOT of walking and they did it and none of them complained about their legs hurting. They play outside, they play sports, and yeah they still watch TV and do more technology than I would like, but they are active, they go to their friends' houses, etc, play on the street (we are the classic 1980s parents in 2023). So I think it is up to the parents if they want their kid to have that old school stamina/immune system or not. Our do, I'll say that.
I think it’s great that you’re able to do that, but many places just aren’t set up like that anymore. A lifestyle like that typically requires an unusually old fashioned community and a stay at home parent.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I think it’s great that you’re able to do that, but many places just aren’t set up like that anymore. A lifestyle like that typically requires an unusually old fashioned community and a stay at home parent.

Normal suburbs, and both my wife and I work. It is just about being familiar with your neighbors. We used to do this growing up all of the time. Somewhere along the line it stopped. Our kids have always had a long leash that way. And it pays off when you visit a theme park and they can go the whole day.

DisneyHead123

Normal suburbs, and both my wife and I work. It is just about being familiar with your neighbors. We used to do this growing up all of the time. Somewhere along the line it stopped. Our kids have always had a long leash that way. And it pays off when you visit a theme park and they can go the whole day.
I guess it depends on work schedules, location and commute. In our suburb there are no sidewalks, and we’re lucky in that our son “only” spends 8 hours in daycare (our daycare considered instituting a 10 hour limit per child even though they are open 12, but decided that “wasn’t realistic for parents”.) We come home and do the “mad dash for dinner and bed” thing, with a vague hope of keeping the house clean enough to avoid total chaos.

My son is a hyperkinetic ball of energy, btw, so I’m not concerned that he moves too little (more the opposite direction, that he’ll have a hard time sitting still in school.) Even so, I sympathize with families who don’t have time to schedule in daily outdoor playtime after work. I’m glad you’ve found a way to make it work, but in this area it just feels like everyone’s schedules are so tight.

graphite1326

We actually had someone that had just gotton back fron Disney brag to us that they rented a scooter so that they could get on rides faster. They said it worked great. The parked in a special spot. Went in ahead of the line and got on the ride. We didn't say anything but we were upset that someone would do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom