My first Uni Trip (with comparisons)

Tom Morrow

2 The check-in/ticket/express pass thing. Since Lowes owns the hotel the room key doesn't get you into the park. so, once you check in, you have to go to a separate desk for park tix, then go to the express pass kiosk to get your picture taken. So you have 3 things to keep track of (room key, express pass & park tix) PLUS some city walk pass. Disney has this one too. one wristband for the whole thing. that's it.
So... in other words, the same way every other theme park works, including Disney until the MagicBands? I don't think you can knock Universal for "not having Disney's MagicBand system"

71jason

And Hark Rock Cafe isn't past it's prime btw- I thought that too until we decided to go hang out at the bar and grab some appetizers- it's still a great time- FAR better than Planet Hollywood-the food is edible :D

I agree, it has aged into a classic (keep in mind I've only visited the Orlando and Tampa branches in years). While essentially "bar food," the menu remains a step above most other chains, and the atmosphere remains upbeat and fun.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So... in other words, the same way every other theme park works, including Disney until the MagicBands? I don't think you can knock Universal for "not having Disney's MagicBand system"
You most assuredly can.

If X has something that makes your life easier, it is quite a fair criticism if Y does not have the same thing or something similar.

Tom Morrow

You most assuredly can.

If X has something that makes your life easier, it is quite a fair criticism if Y does not have the same thing or something similar.
Yeah, but still. "I have to carry three separate pieces of paper/plastic that fit conveniently in my wallet which I should have on me anyway??" is basically the complaint here... when before MagicBands, nobody ever would have even thought of that to be an inconvenience.

To me, the convenience of the MagicBand is akin to a late night infomercial with "black and white world" syndrome, creating a problem out of something that isn't actually a problem.

Disclaimer: I am actually somewhat in support of the MyMagic+ services, but the MagicBands do the exact same thing as having a Key to the World card, only you wear it on your wrist instead of in your wallet.

khale1970

You most assuredly can.

Absolutely. As I said before, I had mixed feelings about the wrist band but the constant fishing out of the (eventually waterlogged and fragile) park tickets and express passes caused me to give Disney a thumbs up on the concept. Whether or not other parks ever try to incorporate all the other nonsense related to MM+, I wouldn't be shocked to see the bands or something similar become an industry standard in the not too distant future.

Disneyhead'71

I believe that Loews is working on Bluetooth door locks. And I wouldn't be surprised if Uni moved to a RFID chipped pass card that would be linked to your account. But that is about as far as they will go with the MDE type system. No pre booking rides.

I do think Uni will streamline their system sooner rather than later.

khale1970

I believe that Loews is working on Bluetooth door locks. And I wouldn't be surprised if Uni moved to a RFID chipped pass card that would be linked to your account. But that is about as far as they will go with the MDE type system. No pre booking rides.

Could they pre-book rides even if they wanted to do so without jettisoning the entire operating concept of the Express Pass? For that matter, can the unlimited Express Pass endure if they add many more on-site hotel rooms that come with the EP? I'm sure they've given it thought, but it seems to me a park with 15 or 20 thousand folks holding unlimited Express Passes would greatly reduce the benefit of the pass.

Timekeeper

Could they pre-book rides even if they wanted to do so without jettisoning the entire operating concept of the Express Pass? For that matter, can the unlimited Express Pass endure if they add many more on-site hotel rooms that come with the EP? I'm sure they've given it thought, but it seems to me a park with 15 or 20 thousand folks holding unlimited Express Passes would greatly reduce the benefit of the pass.

...or defeat the purpose of the pass outright.

Instead of unlimited, maybe 1 use per attraction per day with no time restrictions; like the Express Pass purchase add-on. That would still provide guests with a virtual guarantee that they'll be able to see everything, at their own pace, and anything that they want to repeat - they can just wait in the regular line, which would move at a reasonable pace since people won't have unlimited passes.

danpam1024

I always wonder why our uni APs are freaking PAPER! We have ours reprinted ALL THE TIME due to them getting worn, torn, or wet :confused: Especially when the room keys are plastic. Our BG ones are a plastic coated paper, that's a little better.

JT3000

Uni APs used to be plastic, complete with photo ID. Not sure why they switched to paper. I knew I wouldn't like it, so I just renewed my plastic pass for several years. Twas a sad day when I lost it.

KingdomofDreams

I hope Uni never moves to a pre-booking system. Their onsite EP system is perfect, and while Disney has stepped in the right direction, their system still falls short of Uni's. I also hope they don't tank it by flooding it with too much access to the perk. Since Cabana Bay doesn't have the EP perk, I'm hopeful they will continue to offer it only to their deluxe resort guests as a perk and maybe offer a discounted EP for additional cost to other onsite guests. If they expand resort capacity as much as I've heard they're going to, maybe they'll ultimately just stop selling it to the general public.

DisneyDaver

You most assuredly can.

True. But every theme park has budgets and given budgetary restraints, I'd much rather have available funds invested in rides like Gringott's than convenient wrist bands. Though WDW must think many disagree with me because WDW appears to have made the decision to offer guests the convenient wrist bands instead of a couple additional E-tickets.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
True. But every theme park has budgets and given budgetary restraints, I'd much rather have available funds invested in rides like Gringott's than convenient wrist bands. Though WDW must think many disagree with me because WDW appears to have made the decision to offer guests the convenient wrist bands instead of a couple additional E-tickets.
Just like some places choose to build multi-million dollar arenas and stadiums, but do not invest in the roads to get there. Infrastructure is important, but its importance will not show until it is needed and it is not there. It is much wiser to build the roads before there is a need to use them and not the other way around.

DisneyDaver

Just like some places choose to build multi-million dollar arenas and stadiums, but do not invest in the roads to get there. Infrastructure is important, but its importance will not show until it is needed and it is not there. It is much wiser to build the roads before there is a need to use them and not the other way around.

It depends on the state of the existing "roads" (or other means of getting there), the cost of the new "roads", and opportunity cost of deploying funds for "roads", the expected technology for "roads" in the future, and other factors. If WDW knew in advance how much the MyMagic+ change would cost in terms of dollars, time and other resources, do you think they would have still made the decision to proceed? Is that the right decision?

seascape

You're right. Universal will not go to a free fast pass system. Why should they? They would rather have three classes of customers. Those who stay in their deluxe hotels. Those who have the money to pay extra for their front of line pass and finally the regular people. That is great. People like me who have money can not only get VIP tours but we could save money and cut in front of the regular folks. I'm sorry that is wrong. I don't use the system at Six Flags because it's unfair and I don't think it's right that it's offered at any park. Disney is fair. Everyone gets 3 fast pass plus picks. The only difference is that if you stay on property regardless of cost you get 60 days advance picks while everyone else gets 30 days. Maybe Disney should copy from Universal and give those in deluxe resorts unlimited fast pass selections. Yes it would be unfair but that is the Universal way.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It depends on the state of the existing "roads" (or other means of getting there), the cost of the new "roads", and opportunity cost of deploying funds for "roads", the expected technology for "roads" in the future, and other factors. If WDW knew in advance how much the MyMagic+ change would cost in terms of dollars, time and other resources, do you think they would have still made the decision to proceed? Is that the right decision?
IMHO, yes.

danpam1024

You're right. Universal will not go to a free fast pass system. Why should they? They would rather have three classes of customers. Those who stay in their deluxe hotels. Those who have the money to pay extra for their front of line pass and finally the regular people. That is great. People like me who have money can not only get VIP tours but we could save money and cut in front of the regular folks. I'm sorry that is wrong. I don't use the system at Six Flags because it's unfair and I don't think it's right that it's offered at any park. Disney is fair. Everyone gets 3 fast pass plus picks. The only difference is that if you stay on property regardless of cost you get 60 days advance picks while everyone else gets 30 days. Maybe Disney should copy from Universal and give those in deluxe resorts unlimited fast pass selections. Yes it would be unfair but that is the Universal way.
Disney has a "class system" as well- not for rides, but for lodging and food. It exists- everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom