Pre-Trip My First Trip Report

image.jpg
Hello! My name is Jill and this will be my first attempt at Trip Reporting. Many of you have probably read my little sister Megan's reports (@Doc Disney) which I'm sure I'll pale in comparison to. But here it goes:
So our trip is scheduled for April 29-May 6. We will be staying at Port Orleans-French Quarter. I'll be traveling with my boyfriend Nick (this will be only his 2nd time at Disney) and then meeting my mom, dad, and @Doc Disney there.
I'm obviously super excited, however Nick has a horrible fear of flying so it is kind of putting a damper on my excitement. If anyone has an suggestions that I could pass along to him, it would be appreciated!
We will be there for the Flower and Garden festival which will be cool. Megan and I have already looked at the outdoor kitchen menus and have a bunch of food and drink selections we want to try. We were also excited to see a local cider on the Cider House (United Kingdom) menu: McKenzie's Black Cherry Cider from West Seneca,NY ( we live in Buffalo, NY which is only minutes away from West Seneca). I've have this cider several times before and highly recommend it :).
I really enjoy trying different cocktails so I plan on reporting a lot on those in my Trip Report. Nick is a chef, so I will also do a bunch of food reviews (based on his comments and critiques).
I look forward to this and just writing here makes me that much more excited for our trip!
61 days to go (and counting)!!!!

Cheers!

Last edited:

LisaBelle

Welcome! Glad you are joining in the fun here at wdwmagic! I've enjoyed reading about your adventures via @Doc Disney's TRs.
I will be following along and look forward to your cocktail and food reviews.
I hate to fly but unfortunately don't have much help to offer Nick! Maybe a few cocktails before you board the plane?My sister and I flew down to run the Princess 5K and I was uncharacteristically calm! I think my excitement about the trip trumped my anxiety. Plus I was flying without my kids so I wasn't worried about them! Good luck with easing his fears!
Can't wait to read all about your trip!

Disney Dentist

Original Poster
Ohhhh we did the Princess half last year. I hope you had a magical time! A couple of cocktails before the plane ride is a great idea! Thanks for following along :D

Disneyfreak Jen

View attachment 132669
I'm obviously super excited, however Nick has a horrible fear of flying so it is kind of putting a damper on my excitement. If anyone has an suggestions that I could pass along to him, it would be appreciated!
Have him get some anti-anxiety meds from his doctor. They can write him a script for a few pills just for the flights. Simply knowing he will have them will put his mind at ease a bit in itself….(just knowing I had them helped me). They will help take the edge off, and of course his Dr. will give him a dose that will work for his level of anxiety.

Your trip sounds like it's going to be fun, looking forward to your report! Have a great trip!!

Disney Dentist

Original Poster
Have him get some anti-anxiety meds from his doctor. They can write him a script for a few pills just for the flights. Simply knowing he will have them will put his mind at ease a bit in itself….(just knowing I had them helped me). They will help take the edge off, and of course his Dr. will give him a dose that will work for his level of anxiety.

Your trip sounds like it's going to be fun, looking forward to your report! Have a great trip!!
Thanks for the info! We will definitely look into this. I never experienced flying anxiety so I'm glad for the advice.

Disneyfreak Jen

Thanks for the info! We will definitely look into this. I never experienced flying anxiety so I'm glad for the advice.

They help a lot. I've been taking them for years after avoiding flying for a few. I was tired of holding myself back. I also recommend taking the first flight out in the morning, if possible. I fly out of Newark which can be rough with delays as the day goes on, thus, creating more anxiety. So, I take the JetBlue 6am flight down to Disney, sleep through most of it....it's only a little over 2 hours. Keep it in mind as a possibility. Sometimes it may not be the least expensive option, but my well being is more important. Just my 2

cdeev8690

I know Buffalo is a bit farther away then myself, originally from Long Island, but the flight really is so quick and painless. I recently flew to and from Europe, so a ~2 hour flight from Buffalo to Orlando is nothing. It might help him if you select an airline that provides free entertainment like United or JetBlue (not sure if most of the big airlines offer free use of the headset tv's). Flying is not my favorite activity, particularly during take off and landing, but it helps if I get to my gate at the airport at least an hour before boarding just so I can grab a drink, eat some food, get myself settled. I emphasis the drink because it really doesn't calm your nerves a bit if you're a bit scared of flying. I don't want to suggest taking any sleeping pills just because he will be pretty groggy once you arrive in Orlando so your best bet are offering distractions (inflight entertainment, books, music). I know your boyfriend is an adult but sometimes you need to treat them like children! If he has a favorite treat or something, you can say "when we get to the airport, I'll buy you a Starbucks!" something like that. If he has a goal in mind, besides staying alive haha, that will help clear his mind and help him focus.

Everyone else has offered great advice as far as the parks goes. Sometimes, getting there is half the battle. I hope everything turns out okay!

Disney Dentist

Original Poster
I know Buffalo is a bit farther away then myself, originally from Long Island, but the flight really is so quick and painless. I recently flew to and from Europe, so a ~2 hour flight from Buffalo to Orlando is nothing. It might help him if you select an airline that provides free entertainment like United or JetBlue (not sure if most of the big airlines offer free use of the headset tv's). Flying is not my favorite activity, particularly during take off and landing, but it helps if I get to my gate at the airport at least an hour before boarding just so I can grab a drink, eat some food, get myself settled. I emphasis the drink because it really doesn't calm your nerves a bit if you're a bit scared of flying. I don't want to suggest taking any sleeping pills just because he will be pretty groggy once you arrive in Orlando so your best bet are offering distractions (inflight entertainment, books, music). I know your boyfriend is an adult but sometimes you need to treat them like children! If he has a favorite treat or something, you can say "when we get to the airport, I'll buy you a Starbucks!" something like that. If he has a goal in mind, besides staying alive haha, that will help clear his mind and help him focus.

Everyone else has offered great advice as far as the parks goes. Sometimes, getting there is half the battle. I hope everything turns out okay!
Thanks so much for your input and advice! And it's funny that you mention Starbucks because that is his favorite treat!

Disney Dentist

Original Poster
So my sister is really into the planning aspect of our Disney trips (major props to her for all the hard work and endless hours she puts into planning for us). So for this trip I've taken a page from her book and am trying to get stuff done ahead of time.
0229161942.jpg

So I started by ordering this super cute Disney countdown from Etsy. I must admit that I don't always remember to change the number every day, but if @Doc Disney stops over she is quick to point out if my number is off.
Ok, the next picture I'm a little hesitant to share because Nick says it will scare people off, but I'm going to anyway. This is my Disney packing room:
0229161940.jpg

Yep- a whole room in my house dedicated to laying out outfits for our Disney trip.

Speaking of outfits, we have a couple themed days lined up for this trip.

A Buffalo Bills day:
0229161941a~2.jpg

A "Favorite Ride" Day:
0229161941~2.jpg

And a day for Megan and I to wear our Sister Shirts:
0229161940c~2.jpg

We may do a Star Wars day since we will be there for May 4th, but no shirts have been purchased yet.

Welp, back to packing.

Cheers!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So I started by ordering this super cute Disney countdown from Etsy. I must admit that I don't always remember to change the number every day, but if @Doc Disney stops over she is quick to point out if my number is off.
Ok, the next picture I'm a little hesitant to share because Nick says it will scare people off, but I'm going to anyway. This is my Disney packing room:
0229161940-jpg.132776

Yep- a whole room in my house dedicated to laying out outfits for our Disney trip.

O.k. So let me see if I correctly understand this. You have 60 days until your trip to WDW, and you're already starting to select your vacation wardrobe??!! And you have a whole ROOM to make the clothing decisions?! :hilarious: (Now, I suggest you sit in a chair, so you won't faint, before you read how I pack for a WDW trip: I pack the night before! :joyfull: ).

Disney Dentist

Original Poster
O.k. So let me see if I correctly understand this. You have 60 days until your trip to WDW, and you're already starting to select your vacation wardrobe??!! And you have a whole ROOM to make the clothing decisions?! :hilarious: (Now, I suggest you sit in a chair, so you won't faint, before you read how I pack for a WDW trip: I pack the night before! :joyfull: ).
Haha! That's how I usually pack as well, but I'm trying something new this time :)

Doc Disney

Bahaha I sound like a tyrant....making all the plans, "gently" reminding you to change your countdown ;)
@MinnieM123 You will be especially sad to hear my mom basically never unpacked from November so essentially she has been packed for months hahah
You will also be sad to know that I made an outline of all my outfits...as in plan them ahead of time...we all must have a problem hahah

Disney Dentist

Original Poster
So I've been wanting to do something special for @Doc Disney since she takes so much time and effort to make our Disney trips so magical. I finally came up with an idea and booked us a reservation for the Wild Animal Trek! I'm super excited since this is something I've wanted to do for awhile plus it's just Megan and I so we will get in some good sister bonding time. Can't wait to report on this!

Cheers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom