My First Time Disney Diner..

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
So my BF and I are traveling to WDW in October. For me, it'll be visit #9. For him, at the age of 38, it will be his first. I am BEYOND excited. I've been all over obviously but am looking to really do some memorable things for him during his first trip.

I have not made any ADR's but I'm pretty sure we are going to do the Dining Plan. Where I plan on definitely hitting will be: The Crystal Palace, ESPN Club, Raglan Road, Yak & Yeti and Sci Fi Dine In.

There are a bunch of restaurants out there that I'm very interested in trying that I have never been to. Are there any that are absolute musts or something that may make his trip? This is my list of "I'm interested":

Coral Reef
Ohana
Kona Cafe
California Grill
Jiko

Captain Hank

I've had some excellent experiences at Coral Reef and 'Ohana, but I've heard mixed reviews from others. California Grill is absolutely incredible and a must-do if you can afford it. I've never eaten at either Kona Cafe or Jiko, but have heard excellent things about them, and they're on my "to-do" list. I really love Boma and Sanaa, as well.

stlbobby

I like your choices. I would suggest Narccoossee's for a romantic dinner, and a character meal because they are great at any age. My favorites are Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's. Breakfast before the park opens at CP on your fist day is an awesome way to kick off a trip. And dinner at CM with the dessert bar is outstanding.

wdwwdeagle

I agree w/above -- California Grill is a great choice. Be sure to go outside to watch Wishes from the top of the Contemporary.

Also, of the others.. I'd go to Ohana before Kona Cafe. Kona has good food, but so does Ohana (imho), and the atmosphere at Ohana kills Kona any day (again, imho).

Haven't been to the other two. sorry.

DizneyPryncess

Cali Grille is absolutely amazing if its in the budget. I think it's a must-do if it's doable.

Kona Cafe is a personal favorite. I would pick either Kona Cafe or Ohana, because I think the experience of being at the Polynesian is great! I love the environment, so I go early & walk around. I love to watch Wishes from the beach there after dinner. I like KC better, my husband prefers Ohana. But I would try one of them just to see the resort!

emerald28

I love, love, love Ohana! :D

The food at Boma is awesome, so I'd assume Jiko is, too, though I've never been there because it takes 2 Dining Plan hits.

davictim

I love, love, love Ohana! :D

The food at Boma is awesome, so I'd assume Jiko is, too, though I've never been there because it takes 2 Dining Plan hits.

I concur with the sentiments for Boma, and Ohana. :D Haven't been to Jiko, Coral, or Cali Grill. Another great meal to consider is Le Cellier (Epcot/Canada). Going back again in September!

Food for thought: If you are going in October, remember that you can make your dining reservations 180 days out. I highly recommend making them as soon as possible. I still couldn't get a dinner reservation for Le Cellier in September! Had to "settle" for a lunch ressie.

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
I concur with the sentiments for Boma, and Ohana. :D Haven't been to Jiko, Coral, or Cali Grill. Another great meal to consider is Le Cellier (Epcot/Canada). Going back again in September!

Food for thought: If you are going in October, remember that you can make your dining reservations 180 days out. I highly recommend making them as soon as possible. I still couldn't get a dinner reservation for Le Cellier in September! Had to "settle" for a lunch ressie.

I really want to start making ADR's but here's my issue. I'm just starting a new job and haven't let me new boss know that I'm planning this trip in October (will be letting her know in my first week there). Another issue, my bf is currently unemployed. Basically there are several leads and we are just waiting to hear back. He's been out of work for a bit now so this trip will be a big celebration of a tough year. Once I get my tax return, I'm putting down our deposit and starting the reservation process.

wdwwdeagle

Once I get my tax return, I'm putting down our deposit and starting the reservation process.

Just FYI -- you can still make ADRs without having resort reservations of any kind. (Many locals go to WDW restaurants for dinner regularly, and don't have any vacation reservations.)
It might be a "better safe than sorry" type of thing to go ahead and make them for the time you plan to be in WDW, and then when you do make your trip plans, just have Disney Dining connect everything for you. Also, if you end up not taking the trip, or have to postpone, you can easily cancel your ADRs with no harm done.

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
Thank you so much for giving me this heads up! I was under the impression when I spoke with a disney receptionist that I had to have my room locked in.

davictim

I really want to start making ADR's but here's my issue. I'm just starting a new job and haven't let me new boss know that I'm planning this trip in October (will be letting her know in my first week there). Another issue, my bf is currently unemployed. Basically there are several leads and we are just waiting to hear back. He's been out of work for a bit now so this trip will be a big celebration of a tough year. Once I get my tax return, I'm putting down our deposit and starting the reservation process.

I fully understand about you starting a new job. My DW starts a new job on Monday. She let them know up front about our Sept. trip so there would be no issues concerning gettng off.

Here's to a sucessful job search for your BF, and your upcoming celebration!:)

Now, get busy and start getting those ADRs!!:D

swimmom

Thank you so much for giving me this heads up! I was under the impression when I spoke with a disney receptionist that I had to have my room locked in.

You just can't make ADR's for the 10 extra days without a resort reservation. Which only means that you would have to make them one at a time for each day at 180 days.

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips! Yesterday I made ADR's for:

Ragland Road at DTD for our first day.
Crystal Palace for our first day in the Parks
Tusker House
Sci Fi Dine In
and...........Ohana!!!!:sohappy:

SO beyond excited!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Ooooh...October is some of the best time to be at WDW--Epcot Food & Wine Festival!!! I'll be there Oct. 1-10. Planning is fun, but a bit stressful, because my DH is currently in the same boat as your BF...unemployed, but hopeful of having something by then.

We love Chefs de France, Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Biergarten, and Tutto Italia, just to name some in Epcot. Liberty Tree and Cindy's in MK (not so much Tony's Town Square), Sci Fi in DHS for the atmosphere, Mama Melrose is okay, and lots of the resort restaurants are on our not-to-be-missed list, such as Yachtsman Steakhouse, The Wave, and Artist Point.

I would love to try some of the more "adventurous" resturants, such as Cali Grill, Boma, Jiko, but DH is a picky eater and as such, those are off-limits.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

davictim

I just got the California Grill!!!!! Beyond excited and ridiculously happy!!!!:D:sohappy:

SWEET!! I'm sure you will enjoy.

I feel some of your joy, too. My DW just scored us a Le Cellier dinner ressie for our trip in September! We had been trying since we made the resort reservation a couple of weeks ago. Perseverance pays off!

MillerPoppins

Original Poster
It's funny how excited I am about Cali Grill. I really wanted to try Jiko before that, but the idea of finally getting to watch the fireworks on top of the Contemporary out weighed my choice. We should be good to see those with a 7:55p ADR, right?

I haven't made any ADR's at Epcot with the F&W Festival going on. Last time I was there during it, we ate so much at the booths that we were too full to go to any of the actual restaurants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom