My fanboy vs. Animal Kingdom rant

wizards8507

Original Poster
I recently came across the following post in a now-closed thread. The poster was making his (or her) point that Animal Kingdom is a 1/4 day park.

If you've never seen it then yeah, I can see somebody spending a good 6 hours there, but for repeat guests, it doesn't have as much to keep you there. I would say nearly half the folks that come to Disney hardly care about the animal exhibits - at least from what I see and hear...and 99 percent of the guests will not sit there and enjoy the meticulously detailed environments and lush habitats. Americans especially, are very much the 'Go-go-go' mentality. Hit a ride, on to the next. Get into a show, jump to the next ride. Most people don't care to take time to admire their surroundings.

This is EXACTLY the argument that comes up every time people discuss Animal Kingdom (and even Hollywood Studios) as a less-than-full-day park. Blah blah people don't want to take in the environment and shows blah blah people want rides blah blah.

On the other side, everyone and moans about WDW becoming "cheap" and not putting the care and detail into the parks as they used to. I'm thinking specifically about water effects, minor AA's that don't quite work like they supposed to, etc. Well, if nobody is going to stop and smell the roses anyways, why bother planting them in the first place?

I'm not really sure what I'm asking but it really seems like people around here just like to criticize blindly. They expect to be able to spend fourteen hours in each park doing nothing but sprinting from ride to ride, ignoring the scenery, but if they do decide to sit down on a bench there had better be fifteen new details to observe in the foliage that they've never noticed before.

My personal response to the above poster is that people who can't spend Open to Close enjoying themselves at Animal Kingdom are doing it wrong. Honestly, slow down. I've been there about a dozen times (for full days) and the vine lady (whatever she's called) creeps the ____*t out of me every time. Spend twenty minutes talking to one of the zookeepers at the gorilla exhibit. Take the time to actually hunt for all of the birds on the bird spotting guide in the African Aviary. Ride Kilimanjaro Safari in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Don't just sprint by Flights of Wonder on your way to Expedition: Everest. Waste a few dollars at a Chester and Hester's midway game. Watch them operate on a hummingbird at Rafiki's Planet Watch.

It's sad to me that the same people who rush through all of Animal Kingdom (or the Living Seas, for that matter) can content themselves wandering through well-themed gift shops in the World Showcase. Celebrating different cultures is fantastic and all, but have we really lost our appreciation for the natural?

Lucky

I don't care if some people can't appreciate AK and its differences from the other parks. Let them stay away, or ride a couple rides and leave at 10 AM. People have different tastes and I wouldn't try to change them. What I find irritating is when people want to turn it into a clone of the other parks and claim to be speaking for everybody when they say AK should be crammed full of rides.

SleepingMonk

Hollywood Studios is a half day park at best.

Animal Kingdom I could spend all day just watching the gorillas or the tigers. Everything else there is just a bonus.

Kev1417

I think the the majority of things at AK can be found at a major city's zool. I think people go to FL to see something they can't see/do at home. True AK's exhibits are different, but I feel the premise is still the same.....look at animals. I can breeze through the trails because i have seen gorilla's, tigers, etc. at my local zoo. It's just my opinion though. I like AK, but it's #4 on the list of the 4 major parks for me.

Hot4Hudgens

Regardless of how many times I've been there, I can always find different ways to eat up more than just 1/4 of the day at AK. Not everyone sees it that way and not everyone likes the park, but they shouldn't generalize it because they're rushing through the park in a hurry as opposed to taking in the sights, attractions, etc.

PolynesianPrincess

My family and I were at AK on Saturday.. Got there at open, left at close (6pm) We rode the safari twice, rode Expedition Everest 2 times, Dinosaur twice and explored the animal paths, rode out to Rafikis Planet Watch and we still didn't have time to do everything. I don't see how people can spend a couple hours in this park. But to each his own I guess. I love animals and we don't have a zoo like this up in Maine. So to me, it's something different. Could it use more rides or exhibits? Sure, what place couldn't use some new things here and there. I know several people who think MK is a half day park (because they dont care for "slow kiddi rides") and I know some people who think Epcot is a half a day park (Because they dont want to "explore foreign countries") Everyone has a different opinion. personally, my mother, sister and myself always spend a full day at AK:animwink:

WDW 3

HS is more than a 1/2 day park. Take in all the shows. Do the rides.... more than once. We can easy spend a day at HS and return another time for EMH at night.

ta2mama

I couldn't agree more. AK is my favorite park, due to the theming, the details, the atmosphere...I truly feel transported when there.

Of course, I have a place in my heart for all the parks, but AK is one I never seem to get to spend enough time in!

disney4life2008

I love AK. Admittedly, it took me a few years to warm up to it but the AK is BEAUTIFUL - even better at night. I like to eat their early - leave afternoon and return early evening.

As for HS, I am on the fence. I am usually done with everything I want to see by 2pm (arrival at opening) in August. There is not anything at HS that keeps me in the park. When Fantasmic was cut nightly, I have no reason to go as much.

menamechris

Animal Kingdom is beautiful. It is most certainly the most involved and themed park at Disney. However, to say that it does not need work? No.. Theming is great - and they did it in spades, but the kind of experiences that involve the guest (yes, that includes rides) are lacking. Most of AK is observing, not being a participant. I think this is my personal issue of what is lacking at AK. For the casual vistor who only comes once a year, AK will fill your day and it will be magical - but it gets quite uneventful once you have seen the same shows three, four, or five times. It would be like going to the movie theatre and watching the same movie week after week for years. No matter how much you like the movie, you are going to eventually want something different...

forevermickey

I think everyone has a different definition of vacation hence each park is going to be and mean something different to each family or person.
The older I get the more I want to immerse myself in all of Disney ... I love to read books that tell me the meaning of each imagineered inch of each park... it makes the vacation that much more amazing.
The first time I went to Animal Kingdom.. it was late in the vacation and I was exhausted and confused about the layout of the park and it was crowded. Left early didn't get much. Last year we went had a blast and spent the entire day! It is a different experience than the other parks.. just like MK is differ. than Epcot and HS. I did some research on each part of the park, we went earlier in the trip so I had more energy..... It was a whole different ball game. I loved that I was not running from attraction to attraction... it was a more calming day as well as a lovely one. My 4 1/2 year old was with us all day and didn't have one complaint of being bored and she is not an animal lover.. So everyone is looking for something different .. for someone to say any park is not a full day park they are incorrect. Everyone has a different idea of fun and what is interesting and fun.

wdwfan4ver

HS is more than a 1/2 day park. Take in all the shows. Do the rides.... more than once. .
Some people can't take in all rides. People that have a bad back and fibromyalgia can't handle thrill rides. That is an issue since half the small amount of rides at DHS are thrill rides. That means those people can't do Star Tours, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Studio Backlot Tour isn't the highly thought of and expecting a person to see it more than once a day isn't something that not everyone would do to put it mildly.

Doing Toy Story Midway Mania more than once a day is very tough to do because of long waiting in line or getting a fast pass right away after DHS opens.

Doing all the shows at DHS isn't made for a person that goes to Walt Disney World multiple times during there lifetime. The problem with shows at DHS is they don't get updated such as Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular!. Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show got a change during the show, but outdoor shows like that during the day isn't great for everyone in terms of see it if a person goes to WDW in the summer time.

I actually I know a person that has a bad back and fibromyalgia and went to WDW over 10 times. That person doesn't spend a whole day DHS and DHS is ranked last WDW theme parks by that person. That person sees Jim Henson's MuppetVision 3D, and a few other attractions. The problem goes down to DHS doesn't offer or have stuff that person is willing to see as an attraction or in terms of environment compare to Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom.

fractal

This is why God invented 6-Flags - for people that want to run from thrill ride to thrill ride all day. It's not bad or wrong - just different.

I love AK - my only beef is the Disco Yeti.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I gave up trying to get people to enjoy AK. If all they want to do is dash from attraction to attraction and ignore everything else in between it is there loss.

MickeyPeace

You hit the nail on the head OP. Thanks. Animal Kingdom is my second favorite park after MK. Some people can't seem to understand the concept of slowing down, immersing yourself in the detail and atmosphere and enjoying all that AK has to offer.

In a way I like that people leave because I have more the park to myself. Maybe we should be happy that some people will only give it a half day!

JustInTime

Animal Kingdom is my guilty pleasure. It may even be my favorite. The theming is amazing. I could spend all day there and still not get anything done. It is a full day park IMO

wdwfan4ver

Animal Kingdom is great in my view for what it is. AK gives me a unique experience and has some good attractions.

It is lacking in rides, but that isn't what the park is supposed to be anyway. It has a great theme and the park is great in terms of environment, and has good attractions.

Mansion Butler

I don't care if some people can't appreciate AK and its differences from the other parks. Let them stay away, or ride a couple rides and leave at 10 AM. People have different tastes and I wouldn't try to change them. What I find irritating is when people want to turn it into a clone of the other parks and claim to be speaking for everybody when they say AK should be crammed full of rides.

This. All of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom