My Disney College Program Trip Report 2013

I have never written a trip report before, so I’m not sure how this is going to go. I usually just jot down some notes in a kind of diary while I’m on a Disney trip, just to record the memories. When you’ve been to Disney World every summer since 1998, it’s hard to remember the whens, wheres, whats, whos and whys. I can’t tell you the year I slipped over on the wet floor in the Main Street Bakery when someone forgot to put out a wet floor sign. I can’t tell you the last time I rode in the front on the Monorail. I can’t tell you how long it took me to get over my fear of the zombies which jump up behind the tombstones in the HauntedMansion (although it’s probably close to 10 years!). And, as much as I’d like to, I can’t tell you how long it took me to complete my first VMK in-park quest (but it was so long that I noticed on my last trip that my parents covertly steered me away from the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom sign-up area). My whole set of Disney memories are based upon unreliable recollections and fragments of over-watched home movies (and my Dad always insists on filming that tedious Backlot Tour pre-show and about 10 minutes of cars driving down the I4, which just makes me want to hit the eject button!). So a trip report may be the best way of recording and remembering what I hope will be an incredible experience! Who knows, by the end of these 10 weeks or so, I might be the next Tom Bricker of the Trip Reporting world!

At the moment I’m thinking of doing a report update once every week, but when faced with the dilemma of spending the evening writing up the week’s events or heading over to EPCOT to watch Illuminations, I can’t guarantee that the former will win. You guys understand, I’m sure! And I hope to include a few photos in each installment (although not in this one as the camera is already packed away somewhere!)

So before I start, a little bit about me. My name’s David, I’m 21 years old and I’ve just finished studying a BA in English Literature at GoldsmithsUniversity in London, but I’m doing my Masters straight after I come back from Florida. I’ve been visiting Disney World every year since I was 6 years old (although, to be totally honest, I didn’t go in 2011 because I went to Disneyland instead – which was amazing. Disneyland is definitely my favourite Disney park because it’s so magical to think that Walt actually created and walked around the place. What will make my Disney College Program all the sweeter is that after it all I’m heading to Disneyland for 12 days! Disney World and Disneyland in the same summer! So exciting!).

So I’ve always wanted to work at Disney World since I was a kid. My favourite place in the entire world is at the MagicKingdom, right by the river, sitting in one of those yellow chairs outside the ice cream parlour on a beautiful summer day (the experience is made twice as incredible if you add some strawberry ice cream!). My favourite ride is… gosh, erm… I love Expedition Everest just because it is an epic ride, regardless of whether it is occupied by a fully-functional or Disco Yeti. I’m also a massive Michael Jackson fan, and so am in the vast minority of WDWMagic contributors who loves Captain EO. It’s an amazing show with great catchy songs, incredible dancing and some humorous 80s fashion. Having never seen Michael perform live, Captain EO is almost as close as you can get to seeing the greatest entertainer perform before your eyes, and I’ll be devastated when it goes (it’s only a matter of time, I know =/).

Anyway, enough about me and some more about how I got onto the program. I heard about it a few years ago from a British girl who worked in the Rockin’ Rollercoaster shop and it sounded like an amazing opportunity. Ever since I’d started university I wanted to do it, but I’d always had a Disney trip booked already over the summer (like a lot of people on here, as soon as the trip’s over it’s only a week or so before we start planning for the next!). As I thought this was going to be my last year of university, and my last opportunity to do the program, as soon as I got back from Florida in September 2012, I insisted that my Mum did not book a trip until I tried out for the Disney College Program. She obliged and I uploaded my CV onto the Yummy Jobs website (Yummy Jobs are the agency who do the recruitment for Disney here in the UK). I’d also enticed an old school friend, Jade, to submit her CV (which I tweaked with as I’m pretty good with words), and a few weeks later we got emails inviting us to a group interview in London.

The interview took place in an Italian restaurant near Waterloo station, which was quite strange. There were around 80 or so other candidates there and we were invited into a room where they gave a presentation explaining the different roles and expectations. I also won a Mickey Mouse fridge magnet for correctly answering a trivia question (Epcot recently celebrated what milestone anniversary? 30th!). So then we were allocated groups and slots of around ½ hour for each group. Jade was put into the 10:30 group and I got the 11:00 one. I wandered around outside in the rain until that time, too anxious and shy to talk to any other the other candidates, although some did eventually come up and I had some friendly conversations. Then Jade’s group came out and we were called in. It was time to put aside all shyness and assume a confident, friendly, likable persona. ‘Persona’ is the wrong word, as I was myself, but I was a little bit more myself than I would usually let people see. I became the Disney fanatic I usually keep hidden until I get home and delve into the forums, but I was among like-minded people. The guy sitting next to me had been to Disney World every year since he was born, which is quite a feat when you live in the UK, although he did kinda steal my thunder just before I was about to contribute my ‘interest fact’ that I’d been to Disney World every year since I was six years old! We were talking to a panel of three Yummy Jobs representatives, two of whom were taking notes and the other was asking questions, and we had to force ourselves to speak. If we didn’t answer the question, then the interviewer would move on and we’d lose the opportunity. But the questions were quite predictable. The lead interviewer asked us about our work experiences – I’d just started working as a Student Ambassador at my university a few weeks before, helping out on Open Days, talking to people at careers fairs and running A-level revision sessions, so I mentioned that. There were questions about how we would cope with sharing apartments, dealing with room mate issues, and what cultural things we would bring to/want to gain from the experience (the Disney International College Program is billed as a ‘cultural exchange program’, so we have to engage in at least one cultural activity per month, which could be anything from going to Walmart to eating in an American restaurant, and then record our experience online… seeing as it is quite difficult to live in Florida for 10 weeks without engaging in anything American, this shouldn’t be too hard to do). The last question the interviewer asked was ‘If you were a Disney character, which character would you be and why?’. This was one I was totally prepared for, and I said, as cringe-worthily cheesy as it sounds, ‘I’d be Jiminy Cricket, because whenever I feel down I just give a little whistle, and always let my conscience be my guide!’ However weird that might have sounded, I think that answer guided me, as I learnt a week later, right the way to the second stage of interviews.

Jade got through too, but her face-to-face interview was on a Monday at the same place as the group interview, whereas mine was on a Friday at the Disney Headquarters in Hammersmith, which I was really excited about. Jade reassured me that the interview was fine and nothing to worry about, and she was right. On a cold, windy Friday morning I went up to Hammersmith and watched a similar presentation in a cool mini-theatre. The Disney Headquarters were full of all the little Disney details you’d expect, with a large Mickey statue in the lobby and little Mickey Mouse silhouettes carved into the large swirling staircase. We had to bring a few documents like our passports, proof of address, a university accreditation letter etc., and once they’d looked at those we went into the aforementioned theatre – there were about 100 or so other candidates there. Doing the presentation were three Disney employees – the head of Disney Recruitment, the head of Disney Immigration and the Manager of Future World East, who was responsible for all the cast members working at Soarin’, Living with the Land, Journey into the Imagination, and… Captain EO! So after a presentation which went a little more in-depth about the Disney roles, which was followed by another Disney Trivia session (I got another prize – this time a cool Disney College Program luggage tag in the shape of Mickey Mouse’s head which I can’t wait to use! The question this time was, ‘Who are the Disney Fab Five?’ And I said ‘Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald and Pluto!). Then we were split up into more time slots for one-to-one sessions. I was in the middle group for 1:30, which was a while away considering it was now about 10:30. So I wandered around Hammersmith, which is one of the dullest places in London, I’ve now discovered. There were some small shopping malls and I browsed some book stores and had some Chinese for lunch in an empty Food Court. Time came around pretty quickly and I went for my interview. Me and the group of 1:30ers waited around in a large room full of Disney Billboards advertising Finding Nemo 3D and Monsters Inc 3D, as well as a cool suit used in The Avengers Assemble movie (although I can’t remember whose suit it was!). We were waiting for about 20 minutes, during which time some of the other guys started dancing the Gangham Style dance, but I resisted the urge. Then they called a girl up and I went up soon after, which was nice. I wanted to be interviewed by Jim, the EPCOT guy, just so I could enthuse about Captain EO, but I ended up with the Immigration woman, Janet, but she was lovely. The whole thing was just like a casual conversation (although we sat next to a Frankenweenie poster and the weird girl kept staring at me throughout with her wide eyes, which was quite off-putting). Frankenweenie actually provided me with a great ice-breaker, as I talked about how I’d seen the movie the week before and loved it. Janet said she also liked Tim Burton and couldn’t wait to see Frankenweenie. Anyway, before the interview we were all given a sheet listing the various roles and were told to pick our preferences. For number one I put Attractions, then Merchandise and finally Character Attendant. But when this came up in the interview, Janet asked me what my forth option was. Now, I said that I was deliberating about Custodial. Whilst cleaning toilets is far from ideal, I’d always liked the idea of being free to roam the park, interact with guests and trade pins, and because it’s an unpopular role it’d be an easier one to get. So I chose that as my forth option. She asked me some more questions about my work experience, and my love of Disney – I spoke a lot about my love of Main Street and Captain EO (and Space Mountain come up somehow, which is when Janet revealed that her son works at Space Mountain – so cool!). I went away feeling happy and that’d I done the best I could do.

…and a week later, both me and Jade got emails saying that’d we had got accepted onto the program. She got offered a lifeguard role and I got Custodial. If I got it, I knew it’d be Custodial, but I was ecstatic nonetheless. Since then I’ve decided that Custodial is the best job for me – although I’m not looking forward to cleaning toilets and puke! I’m off on the 2nd June and Jade goes a week later, which was kind of annoying but we didn’t want to enquire about changing our dates because we’d already said that we were available on either date and didn’t want to mess up Yummy Jobs’s arrangements or sound ungrateful. I’m nervous about travelling on a plane by myself for the first time – admittedly not being the best traveller in the world – but it will be worth it, I’m sure.

So the next few months were a flurry of booking flights, medical insurance and going to the American Embassy and waiting around for 4 hours to get our visas (me and Jade met some cool fellow Disney College Programmers, so that was great). My family have booked to come to Florida on the 2nd August to make the most of my last week or so as a Cast Member (I can get them into the parks for free!), and then we head to Disneyland on the 10th August! So excited!

This week I’ve been packing like crazy. I’ve always left the packing to my Mum in previous years, but this time I took full responsibility (although she’s been a great help!). Although I keep second-guessing myself I think I’ve packed pretty much everything now – clothes, bedcovers, a pillow, toiletries (and a little something which I hope to reveal in my first official trip report next week!). I just need to pack my carry-on bag (which shouldn’t take too long), get some more dollars and some sweets for the plane (plane food makes me hurl and the only thing I can stomach for the whole 8 hour flight is sweets).

Anyway, I promise the other reports will not be so extensive (there’s no need to narrate what happens on SplashMountain or It’s Tough to be a Bug, after all). Thanks for reading and check out my other reports when they come about (I might post them on about 8th or 9th May, but that’s subject to change!). Well, I guess I’ll see ya real soon!

Skooterkid

Original Poster
Greetings from Orlando! So I arrived here Monday evening after an arduous, laborious, tedious, mind-numbing plane journey, which I won’t go into much details about because nothing interesting happened! It wasn’t until the end of my flight when I was talking to the friendly woman next to me about what I’d be doing, when a girl in front of me heard our conversation and revealed that she and her friends would be working for Disney too! So I went the whole journey not knowing I was sitting behind my fellow cast members! It turned out that there were 9 of us all together, and we all went through Customs, baggage claim and the fun little train ride together. We then booked two cabs and headed to Vista Way.

It might also be worth adding that our plane was delayed by 4 hours, which was awful! Instead of arriving at a sensible 5pm, we got to Orlando International at 9pm, so we didn’t get to Vista Way 11pm. Whilst we were all exhausted and could barely keep our eyes open during the welcome video, the Disney staff were full of pixie dust and were surprisingly sprightly at that time in the evening. I turned out I would be sharing a room with another guy who flew over with me, Zach, which was quite nice as I didn’t have to walk into the apartment by myself. A friendly cast member drove us over to our apartment in his golf-buggy and we unlocked the door to find an American guy and a girl sitting on the sofa. I think his name is Conor, but I can’t remember his friend’s name (I have a feeling this will be a common theme in this trip report!). They seemed really nice and we spent an hour or so talking about the program (Conor is a slide attendant at Blizzard Beach, I think, and his friend is a Character Attendant at the Magic Kingdom). They shared with us some Disney College Program horror stories about people getting terminated for being asleep whilst their roommates had parties in which minors were drinking. Sounds pretty scary, but I don’t expect I get into any trouble like that! I then emailed home to ease my mum, who I know will remain worried sick until she meets me out here in 2 months time. I then brushed my teeth and went to bed at around 00.30am (I’d woken up at 6am in England the previous morning, so I’d almost been awake for 24 hours)...

I was only asleep for about 4 hours because my internal clock was telling me ‘It’s 9am you lazy thing, get up!’. So I got up, had a shower, emailed home again and headed to the Vista Way pavillion to catch the bus to the Commons. They first checked that we understood and complied with ‘the Disney look’, before we went in and were treated to a talk about how to fill out our paperwork. How fun! And then a rather intimidating woman spoke about rules and ways in which you can get terminated - pretty scary! Then we had a lunch break, during which time some fellow Disney programmers invited me to lunch with them, which was really nice! We went to a Longhorn steakhouse, but we only ended up getting sides because no one was too hungry. The baked potato was pretty good, although pretty boring for a first American meal! After that we headed back to the Commons for a talk about events and the program generally. This was by far the best of the day as it was hilarious, as the two women (one named Sarah Smiles, for obvious reasons) re-enacted the dos and don’ts of being on the program.

I was kinda hoping to get my Disney parks pass on this day, but it didn’t happen. I couldn’t have gone to the parks that evening anyway as I needed to go to Walmart. After waiting a while (about 40 minutes!) for the bus, it finally came and I went to Walmart. I’ve been to three or four Walmarts during my time visiting the US over the years, but the size of those places never ceases to amaze me! I wandered around for about an hours and came out again with five bags filled with conrflakes, cinnamon cheerios, cinnamon bagels, salt and vinegar Lays, Chips Ahoy!, water, milk, toilet and a bottom sheet for my bed, which I had forgotten to bring with me. I didn’t get any Sunny D or apple juice, because I probably wouldn't have been able to carry it all, but they’re top of my list for next time. Then I went back to my apartment, ate some bagels and had a lazy evening reading and surfing the web, but I went to sleep at 9:30 because I still felt quite jet-lagged.

999898_10151543360218439_2010006209_n.jpg

971103_10151543468913439_478078169_n.jpg

Now I know if you’ve got this far you’re eagerly anticipating the account of my first day at a Disney park... well, it didn’t happen the next day either, I’m afraid! But I did find out what park I’d be working in. So, I lined up handed over some more paper work and was redirected to a woman who searched through a box of folders for my name, pulled out my file and then announced that I’d be working at... Magic Kingdom! I was so happy because that’s where I’d wanted to work all along. I’d envisioned myself wandering around Adventureland and Frontierland and down Main Street, so my dreams have come true really! I think they might give me a specific land where I’ll be working at a later date, but I really don’t care where I end up because I’ll be at the Magic Kingdom! So then I got some more details about what I’ll be doing - I found out that on Friday I’ve got a Traditions class at the Disney University, then on Saturday I’ve got my first day of Custodial training at the Magic Kingdom, and then I’ve got something called ‘Once upon a time... is Now!’ on Sunday, which sounds intriguing. I was also told that cast members cannot visit the park they are working in on their days off for the whole of June and July, but this shouldn’t be much of an issue as when Jade gets her park pass she can get us both in.

One thing which amazed me over those first few days was how professional and efficient the Disney College Program people have been. I know it’s Disney and they’re perfectionists anyway, but everything has run like clockwork - all the cast members know exactly what they’re doing, they know the answer to any question you might have, and their presentations are very impressive. Whilst it’s something I expect from the parks, I part of me thought that it couldn’t be so well-executed behind the scenes, but thus far onstage and offstage the same Disney quality, standards and excellence seems to apply.

Anyway, I was only there for about an hour and then I had the rest of the day to myself. But what to do when you’re so close to Disney World and yet do not have your Disney parks pass yet!?!? There was only one place I could go - Downtown Disney. Now, you might be wondering why I keep going to places by myself, and you might think that I must be feeling quite lonely, but in truth I like exploring by myself, and when Jade comes I know we’ll go exploring the parks together all the time! Anyway, the Cast Member bus transportation is a little annoying because it stops at all the other apartment complexes before it gets to where you want to go, so what would probably be a 5-10 minute journey from Vista Way to Downtown Disney takes half an hour, as it stops off at the other apartments and Typhoon Lagoon beforehand. Once I arrived I strolled over to the Lego store and then spent about an hour in the World of Disney Store. I LOVE that store, I wanted to buy so much stuff, but I eventually pulled myself away. I had no intention of eating Ghiradelli’s as I hadn’t had lunch yet, but I found myself walking towards the chocolate shop part when I saw the guy inside giving away caramel squares. That chocolate is DIVINE! After a quick trip to Once Upon A Toy, I checked out the Wii U tour thing which according to WDWMagic had just opened that day. Then I realised I was hungry, so I went to the Earl of Sandwich and had the delicious Earl’s Sandwich. And while I was in there it poured down! Quite depressing, but not surprising as it has been grey and cloudy since I got here. After I’d eaten, I was too impatient to wait for the rain to stop, so I ran across to the Disney Pin store, and succumbed to buying a pin (it was a cool 2013 portrait-style pin which came with a free easel). After I left the store I kicked myself for missing the opportunity to use my Disney discount for the first time! I won’t forget next time!

1006175_10151543468953439_2076504675_n.jpg

6507_10151543469033439_1062888282_n.jpg

945149_10151543353008439_427416836_n.jpg

I rained for a while longer, as I donned my hoody and retraced my steps from the World of Disney to the Lego store and back to the bus stop. I didn’t get to visit the West Side but I’ll make a point of heading their soon. Once back at my apartment it was 6:30 and still miserable weather-wise. There was a ‘Where’s Perry?’ Welcome Party over at Chatham Square, and whilst the offer of free pizza was very enticing, I couldn’t drag myself over there in the rain. So I had an evening of sending emails home and getting some reading done for my masters, which I start in September. It might sound boring of me to come to Disney World and study, but without my Disney passes there really isn’t a whole lot I can do for the time being! I went to sleep at a not-too-early-or-late 10:30.

...and then I woke up again at 6:30. I had no classes on Thursday, so I had a pretty uneventful day. I woke up to discover that Florida was in the midst of Tropical Storm Andrea, which no one had warned me about! It wasn’t windy, but it did pour down! I wandered over to Walgreens after the rain eased up a bit and then walked back to my apartment for a lunch comprising of a cinnamon bagel and salt and vinegar Lays. Then the sun came out, so I quickly took the bus to Downtown Disney. I’d read early in the day on WDWMagic that Disney Quest had closed due to full capacity, so I knew it would be busy, and it was! I strolled the West Side, which I didn't get to see on Wednesday because of the rain, and it was really cool because they had a lot of jazz bands and guitarists playing outside the restaurants and the House of Blues. I went back to the Marketplace and looked in the stores I missed last time, like the Christmas store, before it started raining again. Downtown Disney - more like Downpour Disney! I took the bus back to Vista Way and then walked over to Wendys and had a cheeseburger and fries and a Dr Pepper. This may not sound too special to you, but as we don’t get Wendy’s over in the UK, it was quite a treat. And it is SOOOOO much nicer than McDonalds!

On Friday morning I had to wake up at 5:45am to catch the 6:30 bus to the Disney University! I wasn't too tired though because I'm still a bit jet lagged. The Disney University is just behind the Magic Kingdom, so the coach drove by all the parks, the Contemporary and Space Mountain. I met a lot of friendly Chinese cast members, randomly, and I stuck with them on this morning. The Disney University is AMAZING! Lots of Walt Disney inspirational quotes on plaques, and lots of photos and sketches on the walls, and some of the ceiling tiles were missing and had Goofy hanging down through them or Chip and Dale jumping down with parachutes on their backs. It's kinda hard to explain, but it was cool! We had a talk about Disney service and quality, which was exciting. And then they sprung a special surprise on us - we'd be heading over the Magic Kingdom to look around in the tunnels! And it was AMAZING! Some people say that it ruins the magic but I've come away feeling so much more amazed by it all. The tunnels aren't just plain white tunnels, but they have all kinds of colourful photos and quotes and paintings on the walls, and when we were under Cinderella's castle I saw Snow White just before she went to do the Castle show. So much fun! Equipt with earpieces so we could hear our guide, Audria, we entered from Adventureland and came out on Main Street (if you're facing the castle, we came out to the right of the train station). We strolled down Main Street and I was just amazed to be back. I saw the train come in and the trolley show and smelt the popcorn. We walked down to the Castle and across the Tomorrowland bridge and into Tomorrowland. And then we went back down into the tunnels and back to the University. It was only a taster, but it was so amazing!

During another of the talks, the class was suddenly interrupted by a knock at the door. And Mickey Mouse stepped in! He had a box which was said to contain our Disney nametags and that he just needed to sprinkle some more pixie dust on them before we'd get them. There was a short trivia session and then Mickey left (and he patted me on the shoulder as he headed out!). It's really cool how Disney don't really need to do any of these magical things for us but they do it anyway. After the class we lined up and got our Disney nametags and park passes, and then I headed back to Vista Way. With my new park pass, I decided to head off to EPCOT for a relaxing stroll around. I went to EPCOT because the big rides at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios would already have had long lines and some of the fast passes would have gone by then, but at EPCOT you can just stroll around and a lot of the rides and shows you can just do without much wait. I don't need to cram everything because I've got 10 weeks here! I don't know if I can use my pass to go to the Magic Kingdom on my days off because I'm working there, so I'll have to wait until Jade comes to get me in there!

935785_10151543352838439_2012296236_n.jpg

EPCOT was so much fun! Weather-wise it was the best few hours since I've been here. At first I had a bit of a mishap, as I couldn’t figure out how to get in through the Cast Member backstage turnstiles, and ended up getting locked out for fifteen minutes after pushing them the wrong way! And even when I got to the front of the park to use my brand new Disney ID to get into the park, it wouldn’t work! But the very generous man let me go through anyway, which was a relief as I’d have been very annoyed if I had to turn around and go all the way back again!

I knew I couldn't get on Soarin' or Test Track because of the lines at that time, but I've got plenty of time to do those so I just strolled around and went on what I felt like. I did Spaceship Earth first, then Living with the Land, then, of course, Captain EO (which I think gets better every time! Another Part of Me was in my head the whole evening after that!), then I was a bit hungry so I went back to The Land and had some of that Mongolian beef with noodles which I’d had last year. They were very saucy and pungent in flavour, and I’d hesitate before having them again. Then I strolled around the World Showcase, looking in all the stores and exhibits. Mexico and Maelstrom had about 20-25 minute wait times, which was surprising, and as I wanted to wander around the World Showcase before Illuminations I didn't wait. The only attraction I did do was Reflections of China, which was amazing, again better than I remember it being! American Adventure said it was next showing at 8:15 and I wanted a good spot for Illuminations, so I'll have to go do that another time. Before Illuminations I wanted something sweet but not too filling, so instead of ice cream or churros I got some pic'n'mix from the MouseWorks store. Then I got a front-row spot between France and the UK at about 8:10 and ate my sweets until 9pm, and then watched the amazing show. If I was with my sister I probably wouldn’t have been allowed to wait around for 50 minutes, but it was definitely worth it! I hurried to the front of the park after the show with everyone else, exited through the turnstiles, entered through the cast member door, wandered through a door I thought led to the bus transportation area and found myself back in the park again! So back out through the turnstiles again, I figured out where I was heading and got on the crowded bus all the way back to Vista Way.

988670_10151543352788439_1312714283_n.jpg

1000546_10151543352758439_1737470462_n.jpg

419145_10151543351978439_1712921664_n.jpg

The next day is pretty much skippable. I got up at 6:30 to go back to the Disney University for my Custodial training, which comprised of being told about safety proceedures, equipment and doing an online training course. As the University cafeteria was closed today, at lunchtime we took a bus to the Magic Kingdom again and ate in the Mouseketeria - which was crazy as I saw Jungle Cruise skippers eating with a woman from the Haunted Mansion and I saw Cinderella in a t-shirt and trousers! Pretty surreal. And I had a MASSIVE sub from the subway there, which had a about 9 slices of turkey in and twice as many vegatables. Anyway, that’s pretty much all that happened on Saturday.

We did a more in-depth tour of the Magic Kingdom on Sunday morning. We met at the Mousekateria ('Mouse' plus 'Cafeteria') inside the tunnels and then went up to Main Street before the park opened, which was brilliant, and then slowly strolled through the park anti-clockwise, from Adventureland to Tomorrowland. We were told a lot of facts I already knew, and a few new ones which were really interesting. The tour would typically have ended with a ride on the Transit Authority, but it had broken down, so the tour guide twisted someone's arm and we got to ride one of my Mum’s favourite rides, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin! (I got a pretty average score of 45000). Then we headed back down to the Mousekateria. We would have got to meet Phil Holmes, the vice president of the Magic Kingdom, but he couldn't make it. I caught a glimpse of him on Friday, so I'm sure I'll meet him at some point, which will be really neat. The canteen is pretty impressive - they have a pizza station, a salad station, a place where they cook burgers and toasted sandwiches, and a Subway. Today I just got a coke and a cheeseburger, which was cooked fresh, and it only cost me $3.66! I know I will be having a lot of Subways when I'm working there though, although maybe I'll just stick with the 6 inch next time, considering how big my foot-long was the day before!

After lunch we met up with the Custodial trainer, whose name was Bob, and he's really nice. He's from Miami and he's a little old with a strap around his leg because he has arthritis. I have no idea how he wanders around the park and the miles and miles of tunnels! But anyway, he told us what area of the par we'd be working in, so I'm working at.... Main Street USA! Again, what I wanted! I really think when I enthused to the woman at my interview in Hammersmith about my love of walking down Main Street and smelling the cakes and sitting by the river eating my ice cream that she scribbled down that I should work there. I'll get to see the parades, the nighttime Castle show and the fireworks! So excited! It's the busiest land but the best, I think! There were only four of us doing Custodial training - 2 were doing 'third shift’' which is the intensive night-shift which involves power-blasting everything with water, and then another Chinese girl, who I met yesterday, is doing Custodial on Main Street with me, and she's also very friendly. We did another online test, like we did yesterday, on Asbestos (the tunnels were built when the park opened in 1971, so some areas still have some, but there's only a very very small risk of exposure, and as we don't plan on drilling anything we're pretty safe, but everyone who works at the Magic Kingdom has to do the training). We also did training on how to move and carry things, which was pretty straight forward. We then went to the MASSIVE costume department and tried on our uniforms. I saw everything from Dapper Dans costumes, to Halloween Costumes, to Haunted Mansion costumes and Elf costumes. Pretty cool. The rest of the evening was spent catching up on emails, doing some work for my Masters, having a shower and getting a good night’s sleep. This week has gone so quickly, and I’m excited to see what next week has in store! Jade arrives tomorrow evening, so I’m looking forward to seeing a familiar face! I’ll keep you posted!

969651_10151543469193439_1529654866_n.jpg

Thanks for reading Week One’s LOOOOOONG installment - next week will be shorter, I promise! Also, sorry for the few, boring and often bad quality photos! It can only get better from here! So I guess I’ll see ya real soon!

Skooterkid

Original Poster
Disney College Program Week Two

So the trip report this week definitely did not go to plan! Unlike last week, I simply could not find the time to sit down and write up a summary of each day’s events, so I’ll just tell you about the most interesting things I got up to. From Monday to Thursday I was training, which involved being toured around Main Street and told the same things over and over so they stuck in my head. I had several trainers, all of whom were really friendly and interesting, and then on Thursday I had an assessment, in which a coordinator was really just assessing how I interacted with guests, which was pretty easy.

Jade arrived on Monday, and I’ve probably spent more time at her apartment than my own this week! Her roommates are all very friendly - they’re all from France, Lithuania and the Philippines, which makes for some interesting conversations! Jade was going to be a lifeguard, but she failed the swimming test (which she said wasn’t fair, but I don’t know the details!), so instead she’s been given Quick Service Food and Beverage at Pinocchio’s Village Haus, which is cool because I might bump into her in the tunnels or meet her in the Mousekateria on my lunch breaks! She’s not too upset about not being a lifeguard, as she enjoys the parks much more than the resorts, which is where she would have likely ended up.

So after almost two weeks and numerous trips to the Magic Kingdom, on Friday I actually got to ride some of the rides! I met Jade and her roommate Sandra after their Traditions Class and we went down the tunnels, and explored Main Street. First we did Stitch’s Great Escape, just because it was the first attraction we came to. I haven’t experienced this for years and was pleasantly surprised - it was much better and more technologically impressive than I remember it being! Next we headed to the Haunted Mansion, which I was excited about as neither Jade nor Sandra had been on it before. And of course they loved it! We then ate in my favourite Magic Kingdom restaurant, Pecos Bill’s, where we filled up at the fixin’ bar before heading to Pirates of the Caribbean, which the girls also loved. Next we went back to Main Street, where we had ice cream by the river, then headed back to do Splash and Big Thunder Mountain. We went back early as we were all tired, and with 8/9 weeks left here, we can take our time and do things at our leisure!

The only other day of significance was yesterday, which was probably one of the most exhausting days of my life. I woke up at 7am and met Jade, Sandra and Jade’s other roommate Emiline on the bus to Hollywood Studios. Whilst there we met Stitch and Goofy, rode Tower of Terror twice, Rockin’ Rollercoaster, The Great Movie Ride, saw MuppetVision 3D. Everyone enjoyed themselves, but I had to leave the girls there as I had work at 4:15. I went and had a quick lunch of a chicken caesar wrap and fries at the Backlot Express, which is one of my favourite Walt Disney World meals, and then I headed back to Vista Way, changed my clothes and went to the Magic Kingdom. My first real shift working on my own was an absolute nightmare. I was given the busy area of Main Street West - the Emporium and the sidewalk up to Casey’s Corner. And it poured down, I got soaked, the trash cans overflowed and we weren’t allowed to go empty them because of the thunder and lightning. It was very tough and very stressful. And you have so many things to carry at once - your pan and broom, your map pouch, your squeegee, your scraper, a chemical which gets gum off, a all purpose cleaner/disinfectant, a pouch with your raingear, a radio, a water bottle, gloves and hand towels. As soon as I’d go somewhere I’d discover I’d forgotten something - like the gum chemical - I’d go out, find gum on a trash can, have to go back to get the chemical, scrape off the gum and then discover a large popcorn spill on the floor and realise I’ve misplaced my pan and broom. Plus, in the rain, I had gloves on, so I couldn’t clean my glasses, so my view was obscured, I’d left my raingear in my locker and a guest told me I’d dropped my scraper on the floor and I had to rush back and get it, and then my pan broke in two. I know this must sound incredibly rambly and incoherent, but that’s really how it was. Disney teach us to abide by the four keys - safety, courtesy, show and efficiency, and the last one is definitely one I haven’t quite grasped yet!

Plus they give you a radio, which is constantly telling you things, but a lot of the time it is just general frequency updates. But a few times someone was calling me specifically and I didn’t even realise. And that radio is impossible to understand - I push a button to answer and nothing happens! I’m generally a very happy person, but this first shift on Main Street made me feel very miserable, in all honesty. But after the fireworks, all the Custodial Cast members came together and helped out. I really would have been lost without them rescuing my trash cans and sharing stories of their first day disasters. It will get easier over time, I know, but I definitely have a new-found respect for the people who keep the Kingdom clean! My last hour or so was spent panning and brooming in the Emporium, which was pretty easy and relaxed. Then the clock struck one and I was allowed to clock out... but then the bus took 15 minutes to arrive, then after about 5 minutes aboard it broke down! Another 15 minutes waiting for a replacement bus and I arrived at Vista Way at about 1:45am. I was exhausted, a little disheartened, but I’m determined to get it right and do better tonight when I worked my next shift.

Well, I’ll keep you posted and I’ll talk to you next week. Sorry about having no photos, it’s been such a crazy week I didn’t find any time to take any. I’ll try my best to take some for the next installment!

Skooterkid

Original Poster
OK, I've totally fallen behind on these things, so I'm now going to summarise two weeks worth of goings on - and apologies, I still haven't uploaded any photos - maybe my next post will just be photos!?

So, what have I been up to? Well, workwise the last two weeks I have, the majority of the time, been working parades, which means I pan and broom in around the Hub during and just after the Main Street Electrical Parade, Celebrate the Magic and Wishes - mostly after, of course, because the reduced lighting and large crowds make it very difficult to clean during the nighttime entertainment! So if I'm working parades we are given a quarter of the Hub, so Hub North West, North East, South East and South West, and South West gets the radio, possibly because the parade doesn't pass through the South West part of the Hub. I think I've worked all of the Hub zones now, and South West was my favourite as I got to talk to more people to explain that the parade actually doesn't pass through that little section, and guests were often quite grateful that I didn't let them wait for a long time to not get the view they desire. During the first and second parade at 9pm and 11pm I go on my break for 15 minutes, and then during Celebrate the Magic and Wishes I simply stand back and watch (until I see the red flares of Wishes, at which point I have to head for cover under one of the gazebos for 'safety' - why does Cast Member safety come above that of guests!? Is there any fallout risk from Main Street? I know backstage in Fantasyland Cast Members aren't allowed out during the fireworks - and I've seen all the firework shells). After the second parade we pull out of the vacuums and get to work - that's if I can manage to start them up! I've failed a few times and had to call another Cast Member over to assist. Aaaaaand, that's really it for parades, which is why it's my favourite!

Then we have Streets, which could be working anywhere from Casey's Corner, the Ice Cream Parlour, Main Street West (Emporium side), Main Street East (Bakery side), Town Square, Turnstiles, Monorail and BDO (the bus depot zone, considered by most to be the most difficult zone due to its large number of trash cans, all of which are very spread out and difficult to get to). Working Streets is simple - pan and broom the area, including inside whatever shops are in the zone, then empty the trash and interact with guests. It's probably the job where you can interact the most - you can pin trade, give directions and just ask how folks are enjoying their time at Disney World. I really want to get a lanyard and I've been meaning to enquire into getting one but I haven't got around to it yet - but today is the day!

And finally there's restrooms. When I was offered Custodial, I imagined that I'd be cleaning toilets everyday and that it'd be nasty and horrible. The truth is, neither is true. Yesterday (Saturday 29th June) was the first time I was given restrooms, and it was pretty easy. You get into a rhythm of signing the sign-in sheet, mopping, then disinfecting the baby change table, urinals, toilets, checking the paper towels, toilet paper and soap, squeegeeing the sinks and spraying nice smelling spray. I spoke to hardly any guests yesterday, which was a good and a bad thing as I missed the interaction but I had some nice, quite me-time. Sure, the restroom is not the most wonderful place to hangout, but it really isn't that bad - I don't have to scrub inside the toilets as I imagined I would have to! I go at my own pace and have my break and lunch whenever I want to. I've got another restroom shift scheduled for next saturday, and I'm a little concerned at how much I'm looking forward to it!

In terms of days off, I've had two this past week - Monday and Tuesday - and I went to the Florida Mall one day and Magic Kingdom the next (one of the only days I'm off and I chose to go to the Magic Kingdom!?). The Florida Mall was fun, it's somewhere I go every year with my family, and I ate Chinese in the food court, followed by some of my favourite strawberry ice cream from Coldstone Creamery. I didn't buy anything else really, as I'm saving my money to spend on Disney things! The College Programmers bus stops outside the Contemporary to drop off/pick up Contemporary Cast Members, so the next day I hoped off there to have a look around. Believe it or not, other than going through on the Monorail, I had never been inside the Contemporary before, and I've vowed to explore all of the resort hotels while I'm here this year. Downstairs, below the Chef Mickey level I have seen from the monorail, the Contemporary looks surprisingly... contemporary! I've always thought the place looked like a dated eyesore from the outside, but the plush carpets and sofas and sleek lighting and design all make it look more like an expensive airport! I hate airports, and the resemblance would probably put me off staying here, but it was nice to visit and I bought a pin from the Contemporary store. It was an 80th Anniversary of the Three Little Pigs Silly Symphony pin, which was one I had seen and wanted when I visited Downtown Disney a while ago, but saw a woman buy the last one, much to my frustration. I didn't think I'd get one but was very pleased to see it at the Contemporary and snatched it up quickly. It was a nice little walk from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom, and once there I quickly darted down Main Street to avoid being recognised by any of my Custodial colleagues, and headed from Space Mountain, which I have yet to ride as it had broken down! So a first ride on the Little Mermaid was in order, and after waiting 40 minutes in the spectacular queuing area, I discovered it was exactly the same at the version in California Adventure, which I knew already and enjoyed nonetheless. I then visited Jade, who was at work behind the counter in Pinocchio's Village Haus, and I ordered a BBQ Chicken Flatbread. It was the first time I had ever eaten there, and it was pretty good - the actual bread was kinda dry but it was tasty and the chicken was moist. I will definitely try it out again sometime soon! Being here for 10 weeks, I like that I don't have to get on everything in one day but can take things at my own speed and leisure - I went on PhilharMagic, then Hall of Presidents and then the Enchanted Tiki Room, just because they all had short wait times. Then I had some pineapple Dole Whip, which was delicious as usual and then I left at about 5ish after about 4 hours in the park.

The other day I also saw Monsters University at the Downtown Disney AMC, and it was brilliant! Me and Jade and another of her roommates did the Dine-In experience and I had the chicken wraps with fries and salsa, and it was pretty tasty - although in the dark I couldn't find my mouth and kept dropping it down me! The movie was much better than I expected actually - better than the first? I think they're pretty uncompareable - Monsters Inc is a classic and Monster's University is a hilarious fun film, so it wouldn't be fair to say which is better. I loved the characters and the plot and I cannot recommend the movie enough! Working at Disney World during the Monstrous Summer, this film is being promoted all over the place, so it was pretty important that I see it, and it did not disappoint!

Well, I think that's enough of an update for now! Sorry about taking so long to get these things posted (is anyone reading? I'd like to know!). See ya real soon (possibly!)!

Skooterkid

Original Poster
OK, apologies, I totally fell behind on this trip report (as I knew I would) and unfortunately there was no catching up! Well, I've had a wonderful time - I celebrated 4th July by working crazy hours and fighting crazy crowds, but it was so much fun! Watching the fireworks right by the Partner's statue was incredible, and experiencing what it's like when Disney decides to open up the backstage passageways for guest traffic was pretty surreal - suddenly I didn't feel like such a VIP to get to see what it's like backstage!

I've been doing a lot of parade shifts, which are the most fun as I don't have to deal with trash and can just pan and broom and talk to guests and pin trade, and of course I get to see the nighttime entertainment every night. Whilst I must admit that the Main Street Electrical Parade is now the most annoying thing on the planet to me, I still love seeing Celebrate the Magic and Wishes. As I draw to the end of my program (just 7 working days left), Wishes is really started to get to me as I realise how much of a wish come true this whole experience has been - I've been coming to Walt Disney World every year since I was 6 years old and now to have been a part of that magic, be only for the briefest amount of time, has been really incredible.

I'm working Streets today and tomorrow (Thursday and Friday) (which means I could be dealing with the trash in Hub East, Hub West, Hub Centre, the bridge to the Hub (known as Main Street North), the Cone Shop, Casey's, Main Street East, Main Street West, Town Square, Turnstiles, Monorail or everyone's favourite - BDO, the bus depo area, which is hated by most because of it's 25 trash cans all spaced out, including two which are very far away on the walkway to the Contemporary). I don't mind BDO as it's often a nice break from the hustle and bustle of Main Street. Then on Saturday I have Restrooms, which is not as horrific as you'd imagine as you can go at your own pace, take your breaks whenever you want to, you don't have to scrub toilets or anything like that and you just get into a rhythm of going in, mopping the floors, cleaning the baby change table, the urinals, the toilets, checking the toilet rolls, seat covers, paper towels and soap and spraying the nice smelling scent. I'm kind of annoyed that I'll be working in the restrooms on my last day, just because it means I won't be able to take part in the nightly festivities as much as I would get to usually, but as it's my last night I'll probably take it easy and hang out on Main Street a little more than I usually would when doing Restrooms.

As my family arrive on Friday, I'm hoping to get Sunday and Monday off to go to that other non-Disney park, so I might be saying goodbye to another restroom and parade shift on Monday and Tuesday, but I've got one more parade shift on Tuesday, which I'll definitely make the most of!

Oh, and I graduated from my Disney College Program the other day - I received my Mickey ears and got a certificate, ate some really good BBQ food, went to Magic Kingdom with some friends, miraculously got into the Be Our Guest restaurant for dinner without having made reservations, rode Carousel of Progress, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and then Big Thunder Mountain during Wishes. It was such an incredible day with some incredible people, and we made some memories that will last a lifetime.

If you're considering doing the program - do it! It has been such an incredible experience and I wouldn't change it for the world!

-David

Last edited:

Pooh'sBuddy

You've got such a cool story! Thanks for sharing. Let me know if Jade is a lifeguard at either Coronado Springs or Animal Kingdom Lodge. Those will be the only pools we will see.

You will be fine on your flight(s), but I understand your apprehension. I like word find puzzles.

Let us know where you will be and your days off. I'll let you know which day we'll be nearby, so you'll be prepared when some crazy woman (me) finds and hugs you! LOL!

Skooterkid

Original Poster
You've got such a cool story! Thanks for sharing. Let me know if Jade is a lifeguard at either Coronado Springs or Animal Kingdom Lodge. Those will be the only pools we will see.

You will be fine on your flight(s), but I understand your apprehension. I like word find puzzles.

Let us know where you will be and your days off. I'll let you know which day we'll be nearby, so you'll be prepared when some crazy woman (me) finds and hugs you! LOL!

I sure will! Yes, I'm taking a puzzle book with me too, just to give me something else to occupy the time :)Haha, I look forward to seeing you! :D

WDW_Emily

So exciting! We met some lovely international CPs on our trip last week who just got here. Have a great time! Can't wait to read more!

P.S. My cousin was custodial in Animal Kingdom for 5 years and absolutely loved it! He loved being able to talk to so many guest.

Skooterkid

Original Poster
I love reading CP reports, so I'll be following along (and maybe I'll see you around at some point)

Also, I did custodial on one of my CPs. And it was not that bad.
So exciting! We met some lovely international CPs on our trip last week who just got here. Have a great time! Can't wait to read more!

P.S. My cousin was custodial in Animal Kingdom for 5 years and absolutely loved it! He loved being able to talk to so many guest.

Phew, I'm glad that Custodial is not as awful as other people make it seem. I'm excited to see where I end up, and I'll be happy wherever.

~Tinkerbell~

Thank you for sharing :) I loved reading your introduction, and will definitely be keeping updated with your future posts. I'd vaguely considered doing the International College Program, but I've never really looked into it. I have a feeling though that your report might inspire me to look into it properly before my time at university is over!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom