Must do for dining

Poopoohead85

Original Poster
Hi,

We will be travelling from U.K. to Orlando for 3 weeks in may 2018. Me my partner and 4 year old daughter, can anyone please recommend the must do dining experiences suitable for all of us? We are staying on international drive on on resort property

Thanks!

NiarrNDisney

Its difficult to answer this question as everyone's likes and dislikes are so different plus what all consider "Must Do's" restaurants.

Couple questions:

What kind of food do you like?
Any food allergies or things you just don't care for?
Is your daughter a picky eater?
Do you want to do Character Dining and if so what are your daughters favorite characters?

Poopoohead85

Original Poster
Thanks for the help so far!

We are a group with two vegetarians and whilst the options aren't always as plentiful it hasn't caused a problem on previous Florida trips.

She's not really a picky eater and will eat most things. I'd really like to have a character breakfast as we did one in DLP and she loved it.

BOG was on the list to book too, I'll look in to the others. I believe there is a dinner show at the Polynesian resort, is this worth looking in to?

Thanks

belledream

We are a group with two vegetarians and whilst the options aren't always as plentiful it hasn't caused a problem on previous Florida trips.

She's not really a picky eater and will eat most things. I'd really like to have a character breakfast as we did one in DLP and she loved it.

BOG was on the list to book too, I'll look in to the others. I believe there is a dinner show at the Polynesian resort, is this worth looking in to?

Thanks
Ohana. Breakfast is a character meal with Lilo and Stitch, which may fulfill the experience you mentioned. There's also Akershus Royal Banquet Hall which is a princess character buffet.

Dinner at Ohana does not have characters, but endless meat served to you in skewers so I'm not sure that will be the best option for the vegetarians in your party.

DisneyPrincess5

Ohana. Breakfast is a character meal with Lilo and Stitch, which may fulfill the experience you mentioned. There's also Akershus Royal Banquet Hall which is a princess character buffet.

Dinner at Ohana does not have characters, but endless meat served to you in skewers so I'm not sure that will be the best option for the vegetarians in your party.
I wonder if this would actually be a good option for vegetarians in their party because of the bread, salad, noodles, vegetables, and dessert. They just couldn't eat the dumplings, wings, or skewers. Kind of expensive to consider if not eating the meat, but hey it may work!

belledream

I wonder if this would actually be a good option for vegetarians in their party because of the bread, salad, noodles, vegetables, and dessert. They just couldn't eat the dumplings, wings, or skewers. Kind of expensive to consider if not eating the meat, but hey it may work!
Hmm, that's an interesting thought. If half the party eats meat, and the other half doesn't, I guess there's something for everyone still. Just not quite the value as you said.

crxbrett

I believe there is a dinner show at the Polynesian resort, is this worth looking in to?

If you mean the Spirit of Aloha diner show - DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT do it. It's awful. Way overpriced, eats up a good 2-3 hours of your afternoon/evening, food is pretty bleh, show is not good or authentic and is extremely cheesy and corny. Save your money and time and do something else where you will get more for your money and a much better experience (I always hear the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue is great at Ft. Wilderness). If you've ever done a real luau in Hawai'i, the Disney one is a total farce. Probably my only negative thing to say about the Poly. I believe the older luaua show in the late 80's/early 90's was actually good. Not the current one, though.

NiarrNDisney

Thanks

Buffets restaurants are great for large groups but I can tell you as a pescatarian (I eat Fish) that the All You Can Eat options can be difficult for those of us that don't eat meat.
Though there are options for us we don't always want to fill up on salad and sides, yes we can talk to the Chef and make special requests with our ADR's but then there are the times for sporadic dinning when you don't have a reservation and the ability to to make special requests is a hassle for you and the kitchen.
That being said I would veer from Garden Grill, Hoop Dee Doo, Ohana and instead opt for Akershus (Epcot), Biergarten (Epcot), Boma (AKL), Cape May Cafe (BCR), Chef Mickey's (CR), Garden Grove (Swan), and Tusker House (DAK).

Poopoohead85

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the help!

Is chef mickeys a character breakfast? I really want to do one again and my daughter likes the more traditional characters like mickey and Minnie

Dana223

Although I am not a vegetarian these are my favorites:
-50s Prime Time Cafe (Hollywood Studios-great atmosphere and theme, the waiters are real characters!)
-San Angel Inn (Epcot-inside the pyramid in Mexico)
-1900 Park Fare is a fun Character meal at the Grand Floridian
-Crystal Palace (at Magic Kingdom)--I was always just curious what it was like inside that gorgeous building!
-Spirit of Aloha dinner show at the Polynesian-I have done this twice. Yes it is cheesy, as previous posters have said but the dancers and man with the fire is entertaining.
-Chef Mickey: in 2 weeks I will be going for the first time and I am so excited!

I suggest looking at the menu's of the restaurants and making sure there is a plate that you can order that interests you! Disney has so many options!

Sunset7132

If you mean the Spirit of Aloha diner show - DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT do it. It's awful. Way overpriced, eats up a good 2-3 hours of your afternoon/evening, food is pretty bleh, show is not good or authentic and is extremely cheesy and corny. Save your money and time and do something else where you will get more for your money and a much better experience (I always hear the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue is great at Ft. Wilderness). If you've ever done a real luau in Hawai'i, the Disney one is a total farce. Probably my only negative thing to say about the Poly. I believe the older luaua show in the late 80's/early 90's was actually good. Not the current one, though.
Hoop dee doo is AWESOME

JohnD

I couldn't get past this part...it confused me. Resort Property isn't on International drive.

"We are staying on international drive on on resort property "

Probably meant to say, "We are staying on international drive or on resort property."

Weather_Lady

Disney is wonderful about accommodating dietary restrictions, including offering vegetarian and vegan options. At buffets, this means a cook will come out and tell you what you can/can't have from the buffet. At a la carte table-service restaurants, they will customize a meal for you, if necessary. (Details here: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/01/20/a-vegetarian-in-disney-tips-from-an-expert/)

It's up to you which style and price point you'd rather do, but Disney will work to satisfy the vegetarians in your party no matter what.

Some of my suggestions (some are repeats from those mentioned by others in prior posts) would be:
- Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review (Fort Wilderness, Wild West musical dinner show; the advertised menu includes chicken and ribs, but vegetarian options will be provided on request)
- Be Our Guest (Magic Kingdom; CS at lunch and TS at dinner; French-inspired food in the Beast's Castle)
- Tangierine Cafe (Epcot CS; Moroccan tabbouleh, shawarma meats and baklava - vegetarians would have to embrace the lentil salad)
- Sunshine Seasons (Epcot CS; multiple stations, something for everyone)
- The Crystal Palace (MK buffet; multiple stations, breakfast lunch and dinner with Winnie the Pooh and friends)
- Sanaa (AKL, Indian a la carte), Boma (AKL buffet), or Tusker House (AK buffet with Donald Duck and friends)
- 'Ohana (Polynesian, all-you-care-to-enjoy), although the advertised dinner includes meat skewers, there are vegetarian options that the chef will send out on request

matt clark

Boma at animal kingdom lodge and Sunshine Seasons at Epcot would be a MUST if you have vegetarians. I cannot eat much red meat at all anymore and im allergic to some sort of seafood I haven't dared to try and identify since eating a seafood medley. My diet is mostly limited to chicken, turkey, pasta, vegetable, and fruits. I can eat SMALL amounts of red meats and I typically just try a few bites.. but I must say I still have a HUGE selection at both of those restaurants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom