Muppetvision- Retire or relocate?

Tom Morrow

I love the Muppets, and I have a nostalgic place in my heart for the attraction, but if they were to remove it I would totally see the reasoning behind it and not be bitter. Even if the new show is a big hit, the attraction itself is built around the idea of 3D being special and new, but it is no longer new or unique in any way. So many attractions are in 3D now, and so many movies are released in 3D. We have 3D television sets at home... etc.

scottb411

Leave Muppet Vision 4D and convert Pizza Planet (doesn't belong with new Toy Story Land) and Mama Melrose Pizza into a new Muppets attraction (ie. Muppet Ride) and restaurant that can take out Cypress Drive already being displaced from Star Wars Land. They already have the gift shop (Stage 1 Company Store in map below) in place. Then turn the adjacent Streets of America over to the Muppets for M&G and maybe do a show or mini-parade (ie. Muppets take Manhattan) in the nook behind the Sci-Fi restaurant that will salvage the rest of SOA for Osborne Christmas Lights:

Reposting Map

xbhhtDB.png

Last edited:

burgess

If I were in charge, I would sooner demolish anything else in the studios than Muppetvision. It's Jim Henson's final work as Kermit, final project with the original Muppet performers, etc. Since the format of the show means that it can only really be fully experienced in that building (with the performers and animatronics and such), slapping it on a DVD wouldn't really preserve it. It would be a huge shame to lose the final work of a great artist so we could have more Star Wars land.

noidwork

Well, if the future of the attraction is based on the performance of the ABC show, I think it's probably a safe bet that the attraction is safe in it's current format at a minimum. The plans for SW and TS lands aren't contingent upon whether the ABC show is a success of not, they already have those laid out. Therefore, if the TV show succeeds, we may get a revamp of the attraction, if it does not, succeed I would guess it stays as it is, no worse, at least in the near/mid term.

dreday3

I grew up with the Muppets and I'm probably part of the reason (and people like me) the last movies did so well! We don't have kids, so I'm not sure, are the Muppets that popular with children today?

If so, then I think they should even update the attraction.

If not, then I would think if there's no room, there's no room. They can't keep everything just for me unfortunately.

Disneytwinmom

Original Poster
Leave Muppet Vision 4D and convert Pizza Planet (doesn't belong with new Toy Story Land) and Mama Melrose Pizza into a new Muppets attraction (ie. Muppet Ride) and restaurant that can take out Cypress Drive already being displaced from Star Wars Land. They already have the gift shop (Stage 1 Company Store in map below) in place. Then turn the adjacent Streets of America over to the Muppets for M&G and maybe do a show or mini-parade (ie. Muppets take Manhattan) in the nook behind the Sci-Fi restaurant that will salvage the rest of SOA for Osborne Christmas Lights:

Reposting Map

xbhhtDB.png

I like the idea of making that area Muppets themed. It would be fun to have a silly Muppets dark ride kinda like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Mawg

I haven't read all the posts but to me (not an insider) it seems Muppets is safe for now at least with the two announced expansions. It may still get the axe but it would be for something not yet announced.

wdwgreek

If the new Muppet show does well, corporate synergy would hopefully encourage them to keep it, also what is the corresponding fate of streets of America?

Bairstow

If the new Muppet show does well, corporate synergy would hopefully encourage them to keep it, also what is the corresponding fate of streets of America?

Currently unknown.
Most of the rumored plans I've read have the Star Wars and Toy Story areas occupying other places in the park, and they'll probably need Muppetvision and LMA to operate during the construction. Long term, I've heard Carsland or a third Pixar property, but at that point we're talking 8-9 years down the road.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I could still see the muppets work well in Epcot. Put them in the imagination pavilion. Make the attraction a new dark ride, let it extend some more to where the current image works is. Make the old upstairs image works into the Muppets Lab. Then replace EO with Muppet Vision.

For those concerned with the lack of Figment and Dreamfinder then, they could always make a really huge large-scale attraction themed to replace Energy or Wonders of Life.

But seriously, I could really see this working if they ever did somehow plan to re-locate the Muppets presence.

FrankLapidus

I can't say I'd miss them if they are eventually retired and the area repurposed, which I think will happen at some point during the overhaul of the park. I don't dislike the Muppets or the attraction itself but I can see everything in that back area of the park eventually making way for Star Wars and Pixar.

Herbie

I'm hardly a Muppets fan, and I believe it should be kept and updated, unless the brand has a presence elsewhere in the park(s). With the two recent films & the upcoming TV show, It's not a brand that the company should just sit on.

BuddyThomas

Okay. I can tell you with 100% assurance that it is not being retired. The people on here suggesting a revamp are on the right track. Wish I could say more but since I'm posting under my real name, I cannot. But I do have accurate first hand knowledge about this and retirement is not happening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom