Pre-Trip Much Needed WDW Trip - Oct 1st

This is my first ever post, although I have been following the boards for quite a while. I just never had the chance to ever create my own posts. Here's a little bit of backstory:

I've always been a longtime Disney fan. I say it's in the genes because my Grandmother loved the older Disney movies and my Mom loved all things Disney. So it was natural that I would be a Disney Addict, right? My favorite memories were watching the old Disney cartoons and waiting with the family in the living room on Sunday nights to watch the Wonderful World of Disney. I still tear up whenever I hear "When You Wish Upon a Star." And, of course, I had to watch every episode that the TGIF shows took to the Disney parks. They took me to WDW when I was a couple of years old, which was the worst decision. Apparently, I wasn't cooperative and was cranky because it was so hot and humid. Then Mom accidentally took me on the Haunted Mansion instead of the river boat and I had an epic meltdown. They never took me back lol. Fast forward many years, and my then boyfriend (now husband), R, and I decided to take a spur of the moment trip to WDW in 2012. It was last minute, we had no idea the amount of planning involved but decided to make the best of it. I guess it was more of a chance to try to save our relationship after a lot of downs during that time. And guess what? It worked!! We had so much fun that trip. But it was only when we returned home that I realized we completely skipped over Adventureland. We had to go back after that right?? We eloped in 2014 and I decided to go to WDW for our honeymoon. It was the most magical trip ever. Of course, it helped that I was away from all the snow we were having back in VA!!! Then we went back in 2015 for our anniversary. During that trip, we took advantage of the bounceback offer of free dining to return in 2016. Score!!

So here we are now. Only 37 days until our trip, which will be my first time ever flying. I was afraid we would not be able to go on this trip. My mother died last month and I wasn't sure whether I would be up to it emotionally. But I know she would really want me to go on this trip and, honestly, my husband and I just need a break from everything. Luckily, a former coworker of mine is willing to stay at our place (2.5 hrs away from her home) to watch my special needs dog for me!!. It goes without saying, that she will be getting a really good present from WDW. She is also a Disney Addict and she knows how much I need a break. I can't say enough for good, loyal friends. But I'm still worried about leaving my dog for a week with someone other than my mom. He's definitely my furbaby and I'll probably be driving my friend crazy the entire week with texts and phone calls LOL.

If all goes according to plan, we will stay at PO Riverside from October 1-7 and then stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House on Oct 7th before returning home on the 8th. R and I absolutely LOVE Riverside and he never wants to stay anywhere else. Luckily, I was able to get a room at AKL with the room discount so I finally get to stay at a deluxe resort!!

Here are the plans so far:
*Oct 1 - leave the house super early, drive to the airport, and land at MCO at 9:40am. We'll have lunch at Disney Springs at Art Smith's Homecoming. R loves fried chicken so how could I say no when he's letting me have another WDW trip?? Then we'll have dinner at Raglan Road. Will definitely have a slow day at Disney Springs since I'm not a morning person and will probably need a nap.
*Oct 2 - AK day. We'll have a quick service lunch at Harambe Market so that R can have Bibo, which he became addicted to at Club Cool during our last trip. Then dinner at Sanaa, one of our favorite places to eat on property.
*Oct 3 - EPCOT!! We have a pre-park opening breakfast at Akershus. I loved their dinner but first time having breakfast there. I became addicted to the gjetost cheese and in my hometown (no longer live there), I found a place that sold it. Not good for this lactose intolerant person! The rest of the day will be the Food and Wine Festival and then I'll finally be doing the Behind the Seeds Tour. I'm so excited about this!
*Oct 4 - We'll start the day in HS and then go back to EPCOT around lunch. The husband and I don't really enjoy HS that much and last year we only had one day at F&W Festival, which was not enough time. We have tickets for a culinary demonstration and then a late lunch at Garden Grill (another first for us). It will be a late night at EPCOT for EMH. I love the Disney parks after dark. It feels so much more magical and special to me.
*Oct 5 - MK day, which is my favorite park. We don't have many things scheduled this day bc I want to just soak in the atmosphere. MK is open late this night for EMH so we'll be leaving the park for dinner at Kona Cafe before returning. R and I loved Kona for breakfast during our trip in 2014 but it will be our first dinner there.
*Oct 6 - Another MK day, but this time we have a breakfast ADR for 8:00AM before the park opens. I'm not fond of their breakfast but I loved being in Fantasyland before it opens to everyone else. It was one of the highlights of our trip last year. Because the park closes early that day for MNSSHP, we'll be leaving for an early dinner at 'Ohana, my favorite place to eat!! One day I WILL stay at the Poly.
*Oct 7 - No parks scheduled for this day. We'll just relax around Riverside, maybe go to Disney Springs, before we check into AKL and go to dinner at Boma, another first for us!
*Oct 8 - leave to return home

I should say that my husband has never really been a foodie. When we first started dating 14 years ago, he actually hated to eat - it was just something he had to do to live. I come from a food loving Southern family where all our of events revolved around food. The idea of not enjoying food was completely foreign to me LOL. We must have rubbed off on him bc now he's more open to trying new foods, etc. Last year, at the F&W Festival, one of my wishes actually came true! R said to me, and I quote: "Next year, can we focus more on the food and less on the rides?" This was a big deal to me for two reasons: 1. He actually had the idea of coming back the following year (while he enjoys Disney, he doesn't love it like i do) and 2. He wanted to eat - and eat a lot! So this trip, I'm planning everything around food. His requests were Ohana bread pudding and French Quarter beignets.

Once I figure out how to upload photos, I'll post a few pictures of our previous trips. And I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but R and I have theme songs for each of our trips (besides the first in 2012 when we were completely overwhelmed and overloaded from it all). Each trip, there always seems to be one song that's played constantly and gets stuck in our heads. In 2014, it was "Friend Like Me" from Downtown Disney (before they changed the music loop) and in 2015 it was "Let's Go Fly a Kite" (the instrumental version played at the MK bus stops). I'm excited to see what the song will be this year :)

LeighM

Original Poster
Here are some of my pictures from previous trips. I sometimes annoy the husband with all of my picture taking. I always go into the trip with the expectation of taking food pics but when they put the plate in front of me, my inner Miss Piggy comes out and most of the food is gone before I remember to take pics. Maybe this trip:)

Animal Kingdom:
IMG_1179.JPG

We've been to Tusker House every trip except for this one. R decided he wanted to try some place new but I'm not happy about it. I love the food and the character interaction!
20150930_083944.jpg

The following two pictures were taken in March 2014. We were waiting for our ADR at Tusker House and I was fascinated with this vine. The reddish pink against the blue sky was so pretty. It really shows Disney's attention to detail.
DSCN0456.JPG

DSCN0458.JPG

Magic Kingdom:
20151002_095205.jpg

20151002_095038.jpg

We also aren't doing the Halloween Party this year since we want to focus more on the F&W events.
DSCN1041.JPG

EPCOT:
Back in 2012, during our first trip, we didn't even realize there was ride in there! We finally remembered to ride it last year, and it will be my one and only time. I apologize to anyone that may have been on the ride with me - I had a small anxiety attack at the top and I was one of those people with their phone on during the dark ride. Sorry!!
20150927_193834.jpg

Also, in 2012, we didn't realize the Mexico Pavilion was anything but an Aztec pyramid. I know, I know. We didn't know anything LOL. When R's friend and his family went down this year, R told him to make sure he went inside the pyramid. Unfortunately, his friend absolutely hated EPCOT and only stayed a few hours. How can anyone hate EPCOT??? Apparently, it was too educational LOL.
20150927_213236.jpg

I could stay all day in the China Pavilion. So relaxing.
DSCN0868.JPG

I can't find any pictures from our half a day in HS. Either we didn't take any pictures or they were accidentally deleted. We always get lost in HS and feel too crowded. I'm hoping that the expansion really helps with that.

Zipadeelady

Your pictures are great!. Your going to my two favorite place to eat. Ohana, that's a given. Garden Grill. I hope this doesn't disappoint. Garden Grill has so may memories for us so I'm not sure if it's the food or the memories that make it one of my fave's!

LeighM

Original Poster
Your pictures are great!. Your going to my two favorite place to eat. Ohana, that's a given. Garden Grill. I hope this doesn't disappoint. Garden Grill has so may memories for us so I'm not sure if it's the food or the memories that make it one of my fave's!

Thanks. I always enjoy taking pictures at WDW but I can't master anything right now but my camera phone and my Nikon point and shoot - and sometimes that Nikon confuses me lol. We went to Ohana for the first time during our trip in 2014 and I refer to that as The Lapu Lapu Fail. We had a late dinner there our first night at WDW. We were tired but not too bad. While we were waiting I had the Lapu Lapu and chips and my husband had a Long Island Iced Tea. I had it timed so that we were be in the restaurant when the fireworks were over the castle. I was going to be great!!! The problem? The drinks were stronger than we were expecting and, being tired, we both got sleepy when they brought out the noodles and veggies. It was a colossal fail!!!! My husband loves bread pudding more than he loves most anything and he has no memory of it. We left before the fireworks and he has a picture of me napping on the bench waiting for the boss. So when we went back in 2015, we had to redeem ourselves. Now it's a place we want to go to every trip. We just save the drinks for after dinner LOL.

I originally had breakfast for Garden Grill but switched to Akershus hoping to be closer to the new Frozen ride. Plus, I prefer the lunch/dinner menu at Garden Grill. Fingers crossed!!

LeighM

Original Poster
Slight change in plans. I got us tickets for the Halloween party for Sunday, October 2nd. I couldn't be there during the party and not go. I don't think we'll be doing costumes this year though bc we'll be having dinner at Sanaa right before the party starts.

LeighM

Original Poster
Hope you have a magical trip. I am sorry to hear about your mom. This vacation seems much needed. Enjoy!

Thank you for your thoughts. This trip has the potential to be great since I'll finally be getting away from all of the stress but it can also be a huge bust because I'm still in the grieving process. I know Mom wouldn't want me to cancel and I have no doubt she'll be there with me in spirit (if anything just to laugh at me on my first ever plane ride lol) but it still feels a little odd to go on vacation so soon after she died.

littleroo

Thank you for your thoughts. This trip has the potential to be great since I'll finally be getting away from all of the stress but it can also be a huge bust because I'm still in the grieving process. I know Mom wouldn't want me to cancel and I have no doubt she'll be there with me in spirit (if anything just to laugh at me on my first ever plane ride lol) but it still feels a little odd to go on vacation so soon after she died.
I lost my husband ten years ago and my son was one. We went to DW shortly after. It was one of the best moves I ever made. I felt his presence and realized I am still capable of anything! You will grieve but you will smile a lot too !!!

LeighM

Original Poster
I lost my husband ten years ago and my son was one. We went to DW shortly after. It was one of the best moves I ever made. I felt his presence and realized I am still capable of anything! You will grieve but you will smile a lot too !!!

Sorry for the loss of your husband. I was an only child of a single mother so I saw how hard it could be. I can't imagine going through that as well as dealing with such a major loss. I'm glad WDW brought you some comfort and I'm hoping that I can experience the same. Mom had only been once when I was a toddler and according to family lore, I was such a nightmare they said never again, so a part of me is glad I don't have memories of her there. But she always enjoyed Disney movies. I was cleaning the house one day and had the TV on, I wasn't really paying attention to what was playing until I heard her favorite song from The Jungle Book - "The Bare Necessities." It allowed me to smile through my tears. I got PhotoPass for this trip so I can't be walking around with cry face LOL.

LeighM

Original Poster
Well there was a little hiccup with our Magical Express luggage tags. I received the confirmation from our room only stay that Friday with the departure info but never did receive anything our flight into MCO with luggage tags. I called their customer service number and the woman said they were mailed a week prior but would send out another. A few days later, I received the luggage tags. I saw that they sent them to my old address and USPS forwarded them on to me. It's odd that one letter was addressed to the correct address but the other was sent to the wrong one. Weird. I also received our Magic Bands. Now the trip is becoming real!!! Still scared about getting on a plane so we'll see how that goes. I'm hoping I get all the anxiety over with in the days leading up to the trip and I'm all peaceful when I get to the airport :)

Also, had to make another slight adjustment to our plans. A friend of ours from college, who now lives in northern FL, is going to drive 3 hours to have lunch with us and spend the day at Disney Springs. So I added her onto our Homecoming reservation. We're super excited because we haven't seen each other in probably 9 years.

LeighM

Original Poster
Horrible timing!!! Last week, I started to come down with an upper respiratory infection. I did everything I could, however, I had to break down yesterday and go to the doctor to get antibiotics for what turned out to be a bacterial infection that was starting to turn into pneumonia. Luckily, I will be finished with the medicines the day before our flight!!! I have a little over a week to get over something that typically takes me a good 3 months to get over with my asthma. Fingers crossed the heat and humidity of FL doesn't make it worse. Glad I got treatment when I did. I hope this isn't a sign of what the trip will be like.....

On another note, I'm thinking of cancelling our Boma dinner ADR for our last night. I was thinking that we could just eat at a quick service at Disney Springs before leaving for our one night stay at AKL or eat at The Mara once we check in. Any thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom