Mr. Spell is working!

PhilharMagician

It would appear that you did not understand the link you posted. Luxo didn't just drop their lawsuit against Disney. Luxo reached an "amicable settlement" with Disney. The details of the settlement are private. However, you can be sure that Luxo got everything for which they asked since Disney was clearly in the wrong.

I understood it. They came to a friendly "amicable" decision between each other and the lawsuit was dropped. No details were released.

Clever Name

We know that the lawsuit was filed in September, 2009. We also know what was in the lawsuit: http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2009cv07689/351574/1/
We know that Luxo withdrew the lawsuit in November, 2009. We know that the Luxo Jr. animatronic is gone.

If you read the lawsuit you'll find that Luxo wanted that animatronic destroyed. It's clear that Luxo got everything they asked for in their lawsuit including treble damages.

NewfieFan

Original Poster
We know that the lawsuit was filed in September, 2009. We also know what was in the lawsuit: http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/new-york/nysdce/1:2009cv07689/351574/1/
We know that Luxo withdrew the lawsuit in November, 2009. We know that the Luxo Jr. animatronic is gone.

If you read the lawsuit you'll find that Luxo wanted that animatronic destroyed. It's clear that Luxo got everything they asked for in their lawsuit including treble damages.

So, it was the lawsuit... not issues with animatronic!?! Why would Luxo want the animatronic destroyed? Wouldn't it have been good advertising for their company and product? I can understand why they were upset with the lamps that came with the DVD but I can't figure out their reasoning on this one? How was the lamp in Pixar Place hurting their brand or image?

Clever Name

How was the lamp in Pixar Place hurting their brand or image?
Disney did not ask for consent to make the animatronic. Disney did not provide any compensation to Luxo. Disney exploited Luxo's good reputation. Those are the basics. It's all printed out in sections 16 through 20 in the lawsuit (see link above).

asianway

So, it was the lawsuit... not issues with animatronic!?! Why would Luxo want the animatronic destroyed? Wouldn't it have been good advertising for their company and product? I can understand why they were upset with the lamps that came with the DVD but I can't figure out their reasoning on this one? How was the lamp in Pixar Place hurting their brand or image?
It's called protecting your intellectual property, something ironically, WDPR does not do a very good job of themselves

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Disney did not ask for consent to make the animatronic. Disney did not provide any compensation to Luxo. Disney exploited Luxo's good reputation. Those are the basics. It's all printed out in sections 16 through 20 in the lawsuit (see link above).

Well, ask forgiveness, pay back compensation... and bring back Luxo! :p

*Edit - I started to read the link but got cross-eyed quite quickly, I guess I didn't make it to section 16.

I still think they should hug and make up and bring back Luxo for the greater good! ;)

MagicMan88

Well to reign it back into topic, I was just at TSMM on the 18th and Mr. Spell was indeed working! He scrolled the message "Toy Story Midway Mania" though that was about it. No talking. Despite the one scrolling phrase, it was good to see his screen lit again!

Clever Name

How this thread went from Mr. Spell to Luxo is beyond me...
It makes me wonder what kind of deal Disney worked out with Texas Instruments in order to use Mr. Spell (i.e. Speak and Spell). Could it be that Disney treated Texas Instruments in the same cavalier fashion as Luxo? Did Pixar (Disney) ask permission or compensate other toy makers for use of their distinctive products?

According to the Pixar wiki:

Originally, Woody's girlfriend in the first Toy Story was supposed to be a Barbie doll instead of Bo Peep, but Mattel refused to license the character to Disney. However, after the success of Toy Story (and boost in sales for Mr. Potato Head and other featured toys), Mattel gave Disney permission to have Barbie dolls in Toy Story 2.

http://pixar.wikia.com/Bo_Peep

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom