Motorcycle accident at Lights!Motor!Action!

wdwhoneymooner

Original Poster
During the first show of L!M!A! on Saturday, October 8th, we had the unfortunate experience of witnessing an accident during the program. A motorcycle stunt driver flipped over his handlebars after striking a stuntcar. Luckily, the rider was able to walk away to the backstage area on his own and the support staff quickly covered spilled gasoline from the wreck. The show needed to end prematurely as the workers sorted out what went wrong. To me, it appeared as if a car stopped without leaving enough space for the motorcylces to pass freely, but with everything happening so quickly it's understandable how a miscalucation of a few inches could occur.

Any CMs out there know if the rider is ok?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
It wasn't the first time, and won't be the last.

If the CM was injured seriously, we would have heard about it by now.

TheDisneyMagic

Ahh this is terrible to hear, I suppose things like this happen quite frequently because mistakes can and do happen, I wish the drive the best of luck in his recovery and I hope he can get back to the show as soon as possible.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am surprised it does not happen more frequently. The fact that it does not is a real testament to how good these guys and gals really are.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Master Yoda said:
I am surprised it does not happen more frequently.
exactly, if they made the show completely risk free for the CM's, we would be watching a product that you or I could do in our backyard.

hope the CM is ok.

wannabeBelle

I can also confirm this. I was sitting outside waiting for Mulch Sweat & Shears to show up and saw the stunt show let out early. In addition, I had been to a stunt show on Monday at 2:55. We had a hit between the red hero car and one of the black bad guy cars luckily no one was hurt in that one. Best wishes for the motorcycle CM!! Belle

CatLady

Master Yoda said:
I am surprised it does not happen more frequently.

I suspect it happens far more often than we realize. I know a CM who repaints the cars after they get bodywork done, and he says that he will paint a car, and the next day, he walks in to work and thinks, "Wasn't this car just here?" They must have a lot of spares.

coln84

I have to say I am suprised this is the first post about an injury (if i am wrong, please correct me) but when i saw SS a few weeks ago there was a delay when all the cars went behind the building. They did announce they were havign communication issues so I don't know if this was true for that paticular showing. However, watching that show, they get so close so many times. And for an occasional ding, that does not suprise me.

I am glad that no one is hurt, and hope the drive makes a speedy recovery, and hopefully his back up has had plenty of practice.

robynchic

It isn't uncommon for injuries to occur. The motorcycle stunt drivers are wearing very heavy duty motorcycle armor in their suits (the reason they have full-body coverall suits). The shoes all stunt people are wearing in the show are some of the best quality shoes you can get for the type of stunts they're doing (about $250 a pair). The cars have 4-point harnesses, to prevent whiplash from any accidents that may occur, and many of the people in the show have done some heavy duty stunt work (one of the performers was the stunt coordinator for Kill Bill: Vol. 1 AND 2).
I get to talk to these people sometimes, because they'll eat in the cafeteria that everyone eats at (obviously). They use 1 set of tires every 1 1/2 days, and I don't remember exactly how many spare cars they have, but I know that there are at least 3 of each red car.
Furthermore, the reason you saw the stunt person be able to walk away is that, chances are, once they realized they were going to fall, they "threw" the bike, meaning they pushed the bike in the opposite direction of how they were falling, and then got into some kind of stance to result in minimal injury. Every motorcyclist/dirtbike rider that has to do things at high speeds learns how to do this, because it's the difference between naaaaasty road rash and a shattered bone in the leg or having the leg impaled by a part on the bike.

Motorcycle Accident

I was at the 1st show for L!M!A! last Saturday and also witnessed the accident. The driver appeared to be shaken up and hopefully was fine. That was my first time seeing the new stunt show. It's pretty amazing how close all the vehicles come to each other. The training and practice that goes into this show must be incredible. Having never seen this show before...does anyone know how much of the show was left when they stopped it? Trying to decide if I'll try and see it again next trip down in Feb 06'.

robynchic

disney doodah said:
I was at the 1st show for L!M!A! last Saturday and also witnessed the accident. The driver appeared to be shaken up and hopefully was fine. That was my first time seeing the new stunt show. It's pretty amazing how close all the vehicles come to each other. The training and practice that goes into this show must be incredible. Having never seen this show before...does anyone know how much of the show was left when they stopped it? Trying to decide if I'll try and see it again next trip down in Feb 06'.

Tell me where it stopped, I'll tell you what's left. I am the keeper of LMA!, after all. Besides, I have some friends in the show.

robynchic

Didn't I say that they know how to dismount if they know they're going to be in an accident?
Yeah, there's the potential they could have gotten hurt, but the people that do LMA! are highly trained, and really specialized.
Other than my friend (who worked on Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2), at least one person was a stunt driver for The Fast and the Furious, a lot of people have done a round-robin style of staying in Miami for a week or two to film "Miami Vice" (yes, another old show being turned into a movie), one of the stunt drivers is actually a TRAINER for a stunt school...
these people know what they're doing. Honestly, I'd be surprised if anyone did get hurt.

Yoop33

I remember when they had casting calls for the stunt show. My buddy and I thought we were the best drivers around and would apply. After seeing what these guys can do, I found out I was wrong. These guys are amazing. The couple times I have seen the show it has been flawless. These guys are so good I would almost think that if there was a problem or accident it would most likley be machine error and not human error.

mikeymouse

On the Backlot tour, I recall seeing several spare body parts and tires and such kept in storage. I'm sure that was just for the tour. There are probably a lot more stored at the Studios.

Yoop33

mikeymouse said:
On the Backlot tour, I recall seeing several spare body parts and tires and such kept in storage. I'm sure that was just for the tour. There are probably a lot more stored at the Studios.

When you walk passed their garage towards the main enterance, there is tons of stuff in there. Extra cars, bikes, motors and parts. I remember seeing a room full of tires too. I wouldn't dought it if each car got a new set of tires EACH SHOW!!

Mission: SPACE

Just to clarify a little bit for all of you, in regard to the accident on Saturday, I wasn't there but I did hear about it. Apparently somewhere someone made a wrong move. The rider hit the front of the car on the passenger's side and landed on the driver's side, then landed on the ground. He suffered some minor injuries, but was fine.

In regard to the number of cars they've got... They have PLENTY of spare bikes. I know at least 4-5 heros total and probably a total of 12-15 villian bikes. They've got at least two or three extra villian cars, and a total of three regular hero cars. Sometimes the cars will be taken out of commission to do maintenance and do body work. They only have one remote hero and one reverse hero, however. So if something happens to one of those two cars, the show has to be altered.

You'll also notice that sometimes at the finale the hero will only do the jump and he won't come out from stage right and then go backstage. This is typically because one of the heros was taken out to work on, and after this one was taken out to do maintenance something happened to one of the other two heros.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom