Mosquitoes at Disney

Cartoons626

Hello :)

We will be heading to Disney World in September and I'm just sorting out our packing list.
I have been researching online how bad the mosquitoes are in orlando, posts range from non existent to epidemics. Just a little worried because when I get a bite I react quite badly to it.

Any advice on what to expect and how to prepare would be great, is a repellent spray all you can really do?

Also we will be staying at Pop Century, would asking for a lake view room be a very bad idea since they're drawn to water?

Thank you :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We have not had a winter for a few years here in Florida and that combined with above average rainfall has made a perfect storm of sorts for mosquitoes.

Disney's mosquito abatement programs are second to none, but even they can't keep up. That being said, the reports of biblical level plagues are overblown.

The reality is a few areas that would have had no mosquitoes in the past now have some. It seems like the areas around the Rivers of America are a particular hot spot right now.

The best protection is to cover up, but that is rarely practical.

Repellents containing DEET are your best line of protection when covering up is not an option. I generally avoid using the "natural" repellents as their effectiveness tends to drop off rather sharply after a rather short amount of time.

Upvote 0
Thank you for clearing that up. We have NEVER encountered any insects @WDW until our trip in May. We were dining outside at the Turf Bar and Grill at SSR, and found mosquitoes on the baby. But this was after 9PM, and we did not see any insects during the day anywhere else.

Upvote 0

Cartoons626

Original Poster
We have not had a winter for a few years here in Florida and that combined with above average rainfall has made a perfect storm of sorts for mosquitoes.

Disney's mosquito abatement programs are second to none, but even they can't keep up. That being said, the reports of biblical level plagues are overblown.

The reality is a few areas that would have had no mosquitoes in the past now have some. It seems like the areas around the Rivers of America are a particular hot spot right now.

Repellents containing DEET are your best line of protection when covering up is not an option. I generally avoid using the "natural" repellents as their effectiveness tends to drop off rather sharply after a rather short amount of time.

Thank you for the reply that really helps, puts it into perspective :) I will make sure to look for a spray with deet.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I've heard skunk oil is a long lasting natural deterant.

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

I had this thread going back in the Spring
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mosquitos-was-pest-control-part-of-the-cuts.913425/#post-7229390

No need to peruse the entire thread; main points:
1) We noticed mosquitoes this past April, and didn't have any recollection of EVER seeing/experiencing them before in MK
2) We were pondering if pest control was parts of recent Disney cuts

Update - For our Father's Day weekend trip, Mosquitoes seemed to be gone!! Maybe this Spring was an aberration

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As @ Master Yoda said, get a good quality repellant containing DEET. Mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn (which is why I don't run at either times in the warmer months) and near bodies of water. And since you will be visiting Florida, make sure you apply your sunscreen 15 minutes before you use any insect repellant. I've read articles saying sunscreen then insect repellant and insect repellant, then sunscreen, but the insect repellant needs to evaporate to work and I would think slathering 50 SPF sunscreen over it would limit its effectiveness. Exerts also advise to wear loose, long sleeved shirts and long pants. But who wants to wear a long sleeve shirt and long pants when it's 100 degrees and 110 percent humidity...and a blazing sun in a cloudless sky. Seriously....

Disney does an excellent job of reducing bugs (both by natural means and spraying), but we've had such a warm Spring this year and long gone are the cold winters in Florida that would kill mosquito larvae.

Upvote 0

katie123

I am a mosquito magnet!
have never been bitten in the parks but have been badly bitten when using the boats between Downtown and POFQ/RS and also the boats between MK and Fort wilderness/ Wilderness Lodge.
My worse bites however have to got to be the ones I got whilst watching Wishes on the platform at Narcoossees- really ruined what was otherwise a very lovely dinner!

Upvote 0

Cartoons626

Original Poster
Thank you for the replys, I think it will be better to be safe than sorry. I was thinking of getting mosquitoe repelling wrist bands instead of a spray, or maybe both lol. I was wanting a lake view room at pop but I'm kind of rethinking that now.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thank you for the replys, I think it will be better to be safe than sorry. I was thinking of getting mosquitoe repelling wrist bands instead of a spray, or maybe both lol. I was wanting a lake view room at pop but I'm kind of rethinking that now.
Most of the bands simply do not work. Some of the natural ones have even been fined for false advertising.

The ones that do work a little will keep mosquitoes off your wrist, but there effectiveness drops significantly the farther away you get from the band.

Upvote 0

SMS55

Mosquitos will alway be around especially when you come. September is getting to the end of the rainy season and one of the rainier months of the year so expect there to be some. The more it rains the worse they are. If it's breezy you won't have to deal with them. Bring some spray with you. The parks aren't too bad. I've never encountered a problem with them too much in the parks. If you're eating outside you'll probably see a few. Other areas will probably have more, especially if there are wooded areas. I am not sure about Orlando mosquitos, but South Florida ones typically laugh at mosquito repellent. The only stuff that works against them down here is pure Deet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Can honestly say I have never seen a mosquito at Disney, or rarely other bugs other than some butterflys. I have tried not to er.... think on it in terms of what they useo_O just thought it was part of the magic, ha, but reading this it seems the actually do exist in the parks....we are rather in a drought here and unsual I have only seen ONE all summer....guess I need to consider some of those suggestions for my next trip. :) THANKS!

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Most of the bands simply do not work. Some of the natural ones have even been fined for false advertising.

The ones that do work a little will keep mosquitoes off your wrist, but there effectiveness drops significantly the farther away you get from the band.

Plus don't really want another band now that I have to submit to the magicband thing! :)

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I still haven't personally seen them in the parks. However, we got eaten alive watching Wishes one night from Wilderness Lodge. Not that I expect them to spray in the woods. It was a lesson-learned, for us.

Now any time I go outside at a resort at night, I say
giphy.gif

Always works.

Upvote 0

Rinx

My worst encounter with the mosquitoes was in September when playing golf at Lake Buena Vista and it was the only time I used a repellent spray. Got terrible bites all over my ankles to the point where it was actually painful for the rest of the trip. I've fared much better in WDW whilst not wearing any kind of repellent.

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
My worst encounter with the mosquitoes was in September when playing golf at Lake Buena Vista and it was the only time I used a repellent spray. Got terrible bites all over my ankles to the point where it was actually painful for the rest of the trip. I've fared much better in WDW whilst not wearing any kind of repellent.

That's it no golf for me....I actually have not played since Putt Putt closed down....;). That and no short cuts through the 7 dwarves mines of Moria....:D...note to self to bring telescoping magic staff along just in case.

I have heard two ladies tell me this year for first time they got an awful reaction to mosquitos as never before....once...just once I do think I got attacked by a bed bug at the Wilderness Lodge....:eek:. Could not have bothered me too much because I chose the same room year after year....;).
It's a Bug's Life.....but better to be a bug elsewhere. :cautious:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom