More broken effects hidden in the dark?

D.Silentu

Here's a fun one. When Pirates of the Caribbean was changed to include things from the movies, they added Jack Sparrow hiding in a barrel in the 'chase' scene. Previously, when the ride was altered to feature pirates chasing food rather than the ladies, a cat with a fish in its mouth was put in this barrel. You can still find him if you look to the right as you pass the archway into the burning town scene.

celluloid

Here's a fun one. When Pirates of the Caribbean was changed to include things from the movies, they added Jack Sparrow hiding in a barrel in the 'chase' scene. Previously, when the ride was altered to feature pirates chasing food rather than the ladies, a cat with a fish in its mouth was put in this barrel. You can still find him if you look to the right as you pass the archway into the burning town scene.

That might be true for DL. But I remember the "pooped pirate" looking for that lass until the day it closed to be changed to movie tie ins at WDW.

To the original poster:
Not the same as it is not intended to be a part of the ride that went dark but Revenge of The Mummy still has Kong's track visible on the ceiling.

Tower of Terror's 5th dimension is supposed to have a lot more moving pieces.

The infamous window girl in Spaceship Earth.

D.Silentu

That might be true for DL. But I remember the "pooped pirate" looking for that lass until the day it closed to be changed to movie tie ins at WDW.
In California he was taken out in 1997, simultaneous with several other things in the ride that were potentially offensive. The aforementioned cat was added at that time.
Does that floating candle still appear in the windows of the cupola at The Haunted Mansion?
I think it is installed along as part of Haunted Mansion Holiday. There was another light that would randomly appear in a window on the side of the mansion, but it rarely works.

TP2000

There is/was the infamous "Collapsing Ceiling = Falling Rocks" effect at Indiana Jones. It only worked for a year or two in the mid 90's.

When your jeep turned the left hand corner into the main temple room, audio would deeply rumble and "rocks" would fall from the ceiling as if the temple was collapsing, or at least suffering serious structural damage that was going to require a major Home Depot run.

Imagine rocks falling from the ceiling above in front of you as your jeep first enters this big temple room and you get this view!
indiana-jones-adventure-fire-cave-1180w-600h-780x440-1439420662.jpg

The effect was simply falling ice that was purposely kept in a darkened area with no lighting effects, so the ice looked dark and solid like rocks and/or chunks of concrete.

The ice would be captured in a bin below, and then transferred via belt to a melting receptacle where the water would be piped back to the ice machine, to be pumped out into the collection bin waiting to be dumped in a batch as the next jeep approached that scene. Over and over again every 30 seconds, with thousands of gallons per day going through the system and melting and reforming into ice. Even in Anaheim's dry climate in an air-conditioned building, rust happened. And the machinery bogged down and degraded and after a year or so it rusted out like an old Buick in a Buffalo winter.

It was finally turned off a year or two after Indy opened. It was a very convincing effect, but it never came back.

I always thought the same effect could have been achieved by using chunks of weighted black foam made to look like ceiling chunks, that was dropped from above and then collected in a bin and sent via conveyor belt back up to the dump chute waiting for the next jeep to arrive. No water, no rust, no corrosion, same effect. But what do I know?!?

Last edited:

NobodyElse

I always thought the same effect could have been achieved by using chunks of weighted black foam made to look like ceiling chunks, that was dropped from above and then collected in a bin and sent via conveyor belt back up to the dump chute waiting for the next jeep to arrive. No water, no rust, no corrosion, same effect. But what do I know?!?

Sounds familiar...

1680898670950.png

;)

CHOX

How about a large animatronic that has been rotting under water in a business park pond for 50 years?

Pleasure Island, an old park back East. I hadn’t until I came across it looking for Submarine Voyage stuff. Apparently it was one of the MANY “Disneyland of the East” theme parks, located in Massachusetts. Open from 1959 through 1969. They had a Moby Dick boat ride with an animatronic that would have been happily at home in the Submarine Voyage.

View attachment 684874

Anyways…there has been discussion for years about whether Moby was or was not still under the pond. Some guy bought an underwater drone and discovered that it was still down there, untouched for 53 years. This is pretty cool.

SuddenStorm

The Haunted Mansion is a treasure trove of either abandoned, forgotten, removed, or broken effects- many of which are covered in the Long Forgotten Blog.

The laughing noise that plays at the ride's exit crypt (like at the very very end) was unplugged for years and years- don't quote me on this but someone during a refurb found it, plugged the speaker (or the tape or whatever was playing the track) and it worked like 10 or 15 years ago, and has been present ever since.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom