MontyMon’s Mega-Hot Extended August Adventure

This year I doubled our length of vacation to take in Harry Potter. I always intended to get to Universal, but was sort of waiting until I ran out of stuff to do at WDW. With HP I accelerated the expansion of our horizons beyond Disney. We did a one-day trip to the Kennedy Space Center a few years ago, but that was because a friend categorically refused to “waste” money on Disney, which we all know is “a kid’s park”! :lol:

We started south early on the 20th of August. Drove to Lorton Virginia and checked in to our hotel. The Hotel recommended a lovely Italian restaurant, the Pane E Vino. We had a great meal and settled in for the night. In the morning, We had a rather dull breakfast in the hotel. Then we went to buy some earbuds for Morgan, he’d broken his. We ended up getting a couple of really cheap dollar-store headsets. Then we were off to the Auto Train. We were ridiculously early, first in line. I went and checked in and then we waited an hour and a half until they started accepting vehicles [thank heaven for my iPhone and Morgan’s PSP]. I gave them the car and then we waited another three hours to boarding and a further hour and a half to departure… But we were heading to our happy place, so all was well!

Morgan entertaining himself on the train:

bored.JPG

22 Aug

Today was quite the day...

The train ride south was as rough as I remember. I didn’t sleep terribly well. We arrived on time and my car was off-loaded about halfway through all the vehicles, getting there first in line doesn’t mean you’re first off at the other end. Off we went to WDW!

We checked in at All Star Sports, there was supposed to be a package from our new Travel Agent [Heidi, TwoTigersMom here] but they couldn’t find it. We went to the room, unpacked and I texted Heidi to let her know they were tracking down the package. Then we shared a Quesadilla platter for lunch and headed for Super Target and bought Morgan six pairs of cargo shorts.

Once we got back, we dropped the clothes in the room and drove to AK. I bought Morgan his AP and my TiW card and headed in. Straight to EE for FPs and rode right away. Then Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl and headed for KS. We got caught by the parade [we never plan to watch parades, but if they’re there we’ll watch]. Right after the parade, safari was walk-on. :sohappy:

We headed toward EE for our FPs but everybody seemed to be heading out... :lookaroun Then the skies opened up. :eek: Initially, we just ducked under a big umbrella, but after about ten minutes it gave no indicationit was going to let up, so we decided to run for it. We got totally drenched!!! We returned to the room to wring out and shower/change and head for Boma. It was just a light drizzle by the time we were on our way to AKL. The rain had soaked our shoes, but didn't dampen our appetites! :slurp:

Came back to find Heidi's package. A whole bunch of bags of chips and a series of plasticised cards itemising our itinerary and some cute tips for the World. Heidi had booked our room through her Travel Agency and this was a client bonus service. :D

Now we were ready for bed... It's been a very hectic couple of days.

diddy_mouse

One thing I find interesting when I read trip reports from August is how low some of the wait times were (or seemed.) At least in the Disney World parks...not that that's a bad thing :D

It's been quite some time since I've been to Universal (went way back in 2000) and we were there in July...talk about hot and busy! Glad to know that Potter seemed to live up to the hype. Not sure when DH and I will ever visit Universal or IOA for that matter...we just never seem to put it on the agenda. Heh, when we visit Orlando it's all about WDW for us. :)

I always enjoy hearing about Tonga Toast:lol: Kona Cafe is definitely one of my favorite places to eat.

Thanks for sharing your trip! :wave: It actually got me geared up for my visit next week!

disneygirl1

As always, great trip report so far Monty!!! We were there the week before you for a few days!!! The reason for our visit was a few days in Disney and we wanted to check out Universal too b/c of HP!!! I have to say I agree with you 100% I was not overally thrilled with the park either, but I thought HP was amazing!!! Luckily we went mid afternoon and were able to walk on to everything!!! Forbidden journey was incredible! Did you have a butterbeer?? They were were pretty tasty but doesn't hold a candle to a dole whip!! :ROFLOL:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
As always, great trip report so far Monty!!! We were there the week before you for a few days!!! The reason for our visit was a few days in Disney and we wanted to check out Universal too b/c of HP!!! I have to say I agree with you 100% I was not overally thrilled with the park either, but I thought HP was amazing!!! Luckily we went mid afternoon and were able to walk on to everything!!! Forbidden journey was incredible! Did you have a butterbeer?? They were were pretty tasty but doesn't hold a candle to a dole whip!! :ROFLOL:
We had Butterbeer a few times. Our first experience was a bit messy. We bought two of the non-frozen version and walked over to find somewhere to sit and enjoy them. On the way, the topping interacted with the drink and started overflowing the glass! :eek: After a panicked effort to slurp up the overflow and practically choking to death because I , um... :lookaroun inhaled some of the foam, we enjoyed it! :lol: We tried the frozen version and didn't enjoy it as much, but it was still OK.

Once I mastered the concept of an early initial consumption, we had a few more of the non-frozen kind and were quite happy. I'm not sure I'd compare it to a Dole float though. They are two decidedly different experiences [both good but in different ways].

disneygirl1

We had Butterbeer a few times. Our first experience was a bit messy. We bought two of the non-frozen version and walked over to find somewhere to sit and enjoy them. On the way, the topping interacted with the drink and started overflowing the glass! :eek: After a panicked effort to slurp up the overflow and practically choking to death because I , um... :lookaroun inhaled some of the foam, we enjoyed it! :lol: We tried the frozen version and didn't enjoy it as much, but it was still OK.

Once I mastered the concept of an early initial consumption, we had a few more of the non-frozen kind and were quite happy. I'm not sure I'd compare it to a Dole float though. They are two decidedly different experiences [both good but in different ways].

We only had the frozen one and enjoyed it!

Great report! Thanks for sharing! Your son will appreciate your trips so much when he gets older (and I'm sure he does now too :)). I went on several trips to WDW with just my dad when I was a child/teen and my parents were divorced. I cherish those memories so much and I think that's one of the reasons WDW is so special to me, because of the memories I made there with my dad!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Great report! Thanks for sharing! Your son will appreciate your trips so much when he gets older (and I'm sure he does now too :)). I went on several trips to WDW with just my dad when I was a child/teen and my parents were divorced. I cherish those memories so much and I think that's one of the reasons WDW is so special to me, because of the memories I made there with my dad!
Thank you! Morgan and I are both father and son and good friends. I sincerely hope he will appreciate our trips [and the 50% of his time we spend together otherwise] and hopefully also the times I have to be the disciplinarian [some day].

Parenting is a very rewarding life, particularly when one has such wonderful material to work with. :eek:

cdunbar

Thank you! Morgan and I are both father and son and good friends. I sincerely hope he will appreciate our trips [and the 50% of his time we spend together otherwise] and hopefully also the times I have to be the disciplinarian [some day].

Parenting is a very rewarding life, particularly when one has such wonderful material to work with. :eek:
I can vouch for that as I've spent time with Monty with Morgan and Monty without Morgan. They have a REALLY awesome relationship and are both such amazing people!

That's wonderful! I tell my son all the time he is my best friend (and he and my husband truly are!)...thing is he is just almost 4! So, hopefully by the time he is your sons age he still wont mind being my best friend! :D

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
That's wonderful! I tell my son all the time he is my best friend (and he and my husband truly are!)...thing is he is just almost 4! So, hopefully by the time he is your sons age he still wont mind being my best friend! :D
:ROFLOL:

Morgan was extremely grateful when I dropped him off for his first day of High School and told him I wouldn't 'make' him kiss my goodbye... Part of being friends was letting go of some of the baby in him. I also regularly explain to him that when he's 50 [my age] and I'm 85 he'll still be my baby... :eek: I tell him I love him plenty of times during the day, but particularly when I drop him off somewhere and when I kiss him goodnight and I have explained to him why: If I happen to die, I want those to have been the last or nearly the last words he heard from me.

Put everything you have that's good about you into your son at every opportunity... If you're anywhere near as fortunate as I've been, he'll turn out better than the best of his parents and you'll be as proud as I am.

tiaragirl

^ so sweet.

Makes me a little misty for my own dad.. he came up this weekend to re-do the awful bathroom in my apartment. New floor, paint, cocking. Definitely didn't need to waste the time or money, but he did. AND we had a nice supper on top of it all!

It's great when parents/kids are close enough to do trips together. April of grade 12 we went to Scotland for golf (with two of his olda pals) and it was such a great, once in a lifetime trip. Have as many of those as possible.. as kids, we definitely appreciate it.

rainfully

We were just getting off the up ramp of the Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover and passed Rain [Rainfully] and her sister exiting as we entered, we chatted a bit but I didn't get a hug. :(

Ohhhh man... my bad... I guess I was so sweaty and nasty I didn't even think about it!! :lol: I'll owe you one! :D

BTW, all the photos in the thread were taken with my iPhone 4.

I forgot our camera when packing and didn't take many pictures, but I'm happy with them. Each picture was shrunk down to a quarter its original size.

I used to have CONSTANT nightmares about this very thing... it honestly became a running joke in our family that whenever I said I had a bad dream they just figured it was another "forgot your camera at WDW" dream :lol: :eek:

Glad you had fun! :)

LeafsFanNL

Yeahh, they were definitely around in May but I have a hard time buying pins.. shirts or jewelry with some Mickey-nes? Okay, I know I'll wear it.. but where's a girl supposed to put a pin?!

I know, I know, on your shirt. But that stops being cool when you're 20!

Ahem,

This 43 year old wears them on his lanyard.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Ohhhh man... my bad... I guess I was so sweaty and nasty I didn't even think about it!! :lol: I'll owe you one! :D
:ROFLOL:

Well, you were on the other side of two railings and we were in a high-traffic zone, but I'll hold you to that! :kiss:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Where did you get your Disney name tags that you have on your shirts?
We bought those on Main Street USA years ago during the "Happiest Celebration on Earth" promotion. The little Canadian flags are our own add-on.

Disney doesn't sell them any more, but there is a website you can still order them from, I'll post the link later tonight when I get home. The site bought up all the blank stock when Disney discontinued them.

awilliams4

Thank you!

We bought 'Guest of Honor' badges similar to yours years ago from some site I can no longer remember but I do know that where I got them, they no longer offer them. They looked just like Cast Member badges.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom