Monsters, Inc. Hollywood Studios rumor

Kristilovesdw

Original Poster
New Monsters Inc. Boulevard and Dark Ride coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios

April 17th, 2008 by John Magi
Posted in Walt Disney World |

As many of you know Pete Werner is in California this week on a working vacation. Interspersed among meetings he is getting some time to enjoy Disneyland California as well as socialize with random strangers (an aspect of the human condition that has eluded me personally).

I guess being sociable can pay off as Pete spent some time with a very knowledgeable Disney employee who shared some very cool insider information.

This unnamed Cast Member (of apparently some importance) works for Disney in Burbank and told Pete that John Lasseter has really invigorated the Imagineering department at Disney. So much so that they are getting excited about new projects and ideas in a way they haven’t been in years. Mr. Lasseter is also working to bring in new/younger Imagineers. Currently, the average age of the Disney Imagineer is 47 and they are afraid that they might lose that ‘talent’ if older Imagineers retire and there are no new ones to replace them.

Mr. Lasseter is also instrumental in integrating the Pixar brand more into the overall Disney consciousness, as evidenced by Toy Story the Musical on the Disney Cruise Line, the new Pixar inspired parades at Disney World and Disneyland, the soon-to-be-debuted Toy Story Mania at Disney’s Hollywood Studios (DHS) as well as something new on the slate for DHS – a whole new area based on Monsters Inc.

This area will be a Boulevard all it’s own within DHS. We do not know if this will replace a current area/street at the Studios theme park or if it will be added to the current footprint of the park somehow.

This new Boulevard/area of Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be themed based on Monsters Inc. and will include a new ‘dark ride’ based on the ‘door scene’ from the movie. This is the scene that expands on the premise that the Monster world gains access to the human world via the closet doors in children’s rooms. We can only imagine what the Disney Imagineers might come up with based on the scene in the movie where the doors fly by on ‘drycleaner’ type apparatus and open up to new rooms and adventures for Sully and Mike.

The new area at Disney Hollywood Studios, as well as the new ride, are both still in the concept stage and has not been finalized yet, but Pete is confident the information is sound based on the source.

http://www.disunplugged.com/2008/04/17/monsters-boulevard-dark-ride-coming-disney-hollywood-studios/

I hope there is some truth to this as I think it would be a great idea! Monsters, Inc. is one of my favorite Pixar movies and I think DHS needs something like this!

MousDad

I have no comment on the validity of the rumor. All I can say is I LOVE the idea.

I already know where this thread is headed though. C'mon, y'all humor me.

EPCOT Explorer

It's one of the rumors that I hope comes true.The second I saw that scene in Monster's Inc.I KNEW there would be a ride.

It certainly is possible.

sum41914

Since they just opened Pixar place with Toy Story Mania, do you think it could fit in there? Hopefully we get a brand new experience, although I wouldn't mind a copy of the one at DCA.

-Sum

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
It seems to me that dark rides are particularly cheap to make and operate (though I have no real knowledge of the subject). It seems that many just have metal cutouts or recycled animatronics (I'm looking at you Monsters Inc.) set to a track and we call it good. Hopefully this one breaks that mold... if it gets made.

urbanvegan

Why rename a whole area "Pixar Place" if it's just going to be a single attraction? I'm sure rooting for something like this, and hopefully more! :sohappy:

Evo

If a new Boulevard/area of Disney’s Hollywood Studios becomes Monster's Inc. they should move the Laugh Floor over to the studios!

Ev

Kman101

I'd rather see an Incredibles attraction. We already have Monsters Inc. attraction in the Magic Kingdom. That, to me, is enough. I like Monster's Inc., don't get me wrong, and DHS could use all the attractions it can get but i think the Incredibles gives them much more to work with. A coaster ... a dark ride ... it would be much better theming, IMO.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This one`s been burning a while now. All I can say is there is enough space in the deisgnated area, and one movie theme attraction in one park hasn`t stopped the same theme in another park ;)

WaltsApprentice

I'd rather see an Incredibles attraction. We already have Monsters Inc. attraction in the Magic Kingdom. That, to me, is enough. I like Monster's Inc., don't get me wrong, and DHS could use all the attractions it can get but i think the Incredibles gives them much more to work with. A coaster ... a dark ride ... it would be much better theming, IMO.

They could do a show on the streets of America, kinda like the Turtles!...or maybe an attraction like saving the city or something...I love the Incredibles and would love to see something worth wild...Have Edna Mode in the preshow, commenting on our tourist outfits maybe something like the Roz character at DCA or Mr. Potato head! That would be great! Because we just last weekend went on TSM and Mr. Potato head made fun of my dorky cousin's hat haha it was great because we were making fun of it all day!:lol::D

imamouse

I agree that the DL Monsters, Inc ride at DL is not the greatest and hope that if this gets built in DHS, it's much better. I could also go for an Incredibles based attraction - I love the Incredibles!

krankenstein

Sounds good, I personally would rather it be themed to Cars or The Incredibles, but I know WDI will give me something to be happy about!

WildLodgeFan

Perhaps they are thinking of replacing the Laugh Floor in the future with this at the Disney Studios and something new at the Kingdom? One can up - the placement of a Monster Inc attraction makes more sense in Pixar Place at DHS than it does in Tomorrowland at the Kingdom. I think an Incredibles attaction would be awesome as well. I can think of many ideas for the queue. Perhaps a Coaster with those round pods in the movie on the island - going through a tropical area, near a lava area, hmm . . . the imagination is running rampant!

Yeti11

I really hope they don't do this. I don't get why they make lands based on one movie. I would much rather just have the Monsters Inc. ride in Pixar Place than a new area just based on the movie. And where would they put this new area?

pacochran

I think it sounds kind of interesting.

They could probably use the area that used to be studios as they don't do any filming here anymore.

SSE

I think this sounds like it could be a good idea. If they made a whole Monster's Inc. Boulevard I would think it would be like a road in Pixar Place or connecting to it. I also think it would be good to move Laugh Floor to this new area. I have grown to like it, but it still doesn't fit into Tomorrowland for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom