Monorail tid bit

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
Original Poster
As some of you know, there are only 10 spaces for Monorails at 'the shop'. So where did the other two go during the hurricane?

They parked them in the Contemporary.

Incidentally, I was told the Contemporary can hold 4 monorails. Two on each track nose to nose.

FYI

MartyMouse

Interesting factoid there.

Perhaps you could answer another question for me.
I keep seeing things on the boards that suggest that something happened to Monorail Red over the weekend but I can’t seem to find out what it was do you or another poster know what happened?

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
Original Poster
...Monorail red...

O.k., I started this monorail red concern with my pictures on day two

Check out my video...for a response to people asking me about monorail red ;)

then read the 'comedic post' about "Monorail Red, back on track"

I'll save you some time though: it consistently has propulsion problems. So, in all likelihood, that's what happened on Saturday.

Ringo8n24

paulcmartens said:
As some of you know, there are only 10 spaces for Monorails at 'the shop'.
FYI

So where is "the shop"? That would have been a cool picture to see all of them parked together in one full shot.

Invero

They will park 4 trains nose-to-nose during the winter months when its too cold to keep them outside. (The trains don't like sub 40 degree temperatures)

Steamboat_Kevin

Invero said:
They will park 4 trains nose-to-nose during the winter months when its too cold to keep them outside. (The trains don't like sub 40 degree temperatures)
That's really interesting, will they just stop working or not work as well when they are in sub 40 deg. temperatures?

Invero

Steamboat_Kevin said:
That's really interesting, will they just stop working or not work as well when they are in sub 40 deg. temperatures?
The trains don't like the cold, the heat, the humid season, the dry season, or anything in between. Any extremes in these, and they will have lots of problems. Oh heck, they just have lots of problems anyways. LOL

JTFerret

Two questions for you Tyler...

1) How close is nose to nose? Not actually touching I would think but obviously I don't know.

2) Why don't the monorails like sub-40 degree weather? How does this affect their operation or efficiency?

This stuff is always fascinating to me!

Oh! one more question. When it is slow in the off season how many monorails are running and how many are just parked or rehabbed? Is there a typical number or just as they need to be rehabbed?

Invero

JTFerret said:
Two questions for you Tyler...

1) How close is nose to nose? Not actually touching I would think but obviously I don't know.
About a foot apart.

2) Why don't the monorails like sub-40 degree weather? How does this affect their operation or efficiency?
Think about it... how well do YOU function in cold weather? The computer components, air lines, and propulsion units just dont like cold.

Oh! one more question. When it is slow in the off season how many monorails are running and how many are just parked or rehabbed? Is there a typical number or just as they need to be rehabbed?
Almost same number as in peak season. 3 on Resort for normal day, 4 if peak. For Express, 4 for the mad rush, then 3 trains for the day, and 4 trains for the park exit. For Epcot, 2 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon/evening.

JTFerret

Invero said:
Think about it... how well do YOU function in cold weather? The computer components, air lines, and propulsion units just dont like cold. QUOTE]

Actually I think I can go back to your other quote to Steamboat Kevin: "The trains don't like the cold, the heat, the humid season, the dry season, or anything in between." I don't function very well in any of that! Oh my gosh! I'm a monorail! :lol: I know...I'm monorail bald! :drevil: :lookaroun :hammer:

Thanks for answering my questions! :sohappy:

JTFerret

Great pictures Tyler! :sohappy:
When you are bringing monorails nose to nose like that can the driver see in front clearly to guage the distance? I have ridden in the front several times but never had any reason to think of this application before. It seems as though you could see it if memory serves me but that's just a guess. :confused:
Anyway, thanks for posting those pictures.

Invero

Yes... however, as they are inching closer, someone outside of the train has the power kill switch, and kills power when they get to about a foot or two apart. Killing power automatically activates the emergency/parking brake. Also, as the train inches closer, there is a driver in the other train, hand on the control, ready to get the train out of the way in case the inching train cant stop.

JTFerret

Cool! :D Can you tell that most of us would just love to drive the monorail for awhile? I'm sure that for someone like yourself who does it for a living it could potentially lose some of its luster and get mundane as most jobs do.
I hate to keep pestering you with all these questions but this subject is especially fascinating to me. How sturdy are the monorail nose cones (I guess that's what they're called? I know that many times when pulling into the concourses that we overshoot our mark and the driver has to back up a little bit. Is it difficult to do precision stopping like what would be required to do the nose to nose stopping?

Invero

JTFerret said:
Cool! :D Can you tell that most of us would just love to drive the monorail for awhile? I'm sure that for someone like yourself who does it for a living it could potentially lose some of its luster and get mundane as most jobs do.
I hate to keep pestering you with all these questions but this subject is especially fascinating to me. How sturdy are the monorail nose cones (I guess that's what they're called? I know that many times when pulling into the concourses that we overshoot our mark and the driver has to back up a little bit. Is it difficult to do precision stopping like what would be required to do the nose to nose stopping?
Well, I mean, its not as if you're flooring it into the station when you park it like that. You have to override the anti-collision system which means you're limited to 15 mph. Even still, regulations limit you to 1mph if that. You're basically inching it into the station.

As for overshooting the mark... it depends on the train, and its mood for the day. Depending on the train, the day, the wind, the weather, and passenger load, I would be able to floor it into the station, and stop right on the mark. Other days, the brakes would slide, and I'd miss it by a foot. But if you come in at normal speed, and slow down appropriately, its easy.

Unlike a car (or the old trains) you can't "Feel" the brakes. You just have 4 braking settings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom