Monorail set pieces

rtiller

Original Poster
Does anyone know if they still sell the Epcot/Spaceship Earth Monorail piece that has the track running under Spaceship Earth? All I can find info on is the playset.

Are they replacing the originals with playsets?

yensidtlaw1969

I believe they stopped making the model in question in favor of a newer version that looks nice with the monorail and works well standing on its own. It is more of a playset, as you mentioned, and comes with several little figures and props 'n such, much like the Tree of Life model and Sorcerer Hat Model.

Here's an ebay auction for the newer model:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spaceship-Earth...goryZ484QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's one for monorail red that shows pictures of the model you want. The model might be part of the auction (which is right now at a good price), but I'd ask the seller first before any bidding):

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISNEY-MONORAIL...222QQihZ010QQcategoryZ138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers!

Yensid "I hope you get what you're after!" tlaw1969

darthjohnny

Yes, they've discontinued somethings and created others. Originally there was a Disneyland version of the monorail that went through a Golden Gate Bridge track piece. They also had the origianl rides from Disney's California Adventure and California Screamin' toy roller coaster as well as a special version of their haunted mansion playset, but those are all discontinued. In Disney World, they've discontinued the Grand Floridian and Polynesian hotel sets, WDW's four rides, the ride connectors and the older version of Epcot's Spaceship Earth. Now they just have the playsets (Space Mountain, Sorcerer's hat, Tree of Life, new Spaceship Earth, etc...) which are quite nice. I don't know if they still sell the monorail station with 7 talking phrases from the actual monorail. But now that they've reinvented the monorail toy, meaning it now opens up and you can put characters in it and a new design for the boxes of extra track, they'll probably come out with new stuff again.

rtiller

Original Poster
So would I be crazy to try and sell the playset I just received as a gift? I was going to try and find the old version of Spaceship Earth on ebay or something.

I really want the pieces that aren't playsets but if I'm not going to be able to purchase new pieces when I go to Disney in the future I'm not sure what to do.

darthjohnny

I don't quite understand what you want to do. I would keep your gift. It has a lot more to it than the older version. What I was saying is that they are always coming out with new things, and getting rid of others. Depending on when you go to Disney to get monorail accessories depends on what you might find. I have found that they have been selling the extra track (curved and straight) since they started selling the monorail, and they have been selling the hotel and WDW enterance sign and the toy set of trees of the Magic Kindom area for a while now. Every half year or so, they come out with a new color of the monorail. I believe it has gone: Red, Black, Yellow, Purple, Gold, and Blue being the newest.

rtiller

Original Poster
I guess I was trying to get as much as I could from the set that wasn't a "playset". I started looking at the setup they had in Downtown Disney a few years ago and really wanted to set that up in my basement. I'm just not crazy about the playsets as they look "cheaper" to me when used for show.

darthjohnny

Yeah, it was an awesome display. They've changed it a few times. Like I said, the hotels are no longer sold, except for the Contemporary. You really had to start collecting from the start to get everything you wanted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom