News Monorail Red in motion with guests on board and doors open

flynnibus

Premium Member
They were laughing when they pulled into the station and heard the announcement about smoking areas, because someone cracked a joke about needing a cigarette after their experience. WESH news report/ the woman who posted the video said that they were all scared/nervous about what was happening.

So scared and nervous... they did nothing but bust out instagram to 'document it'. Keep repeating that and see how many times it takes before it makes any sense.

It's more akin to someone finding a hair in their soup... and making sure management knew about it than 'harrowing experience'

SorcererMC

So scared and nervous... they did nothing but bust out instagram to 'document it'. Keep repeating that and see how many times it takes before it makes any sense.
It makes perfect sense. It's well documented that people respond to emergency situations using fight/flight/freeze response. They couldn't leave the cabin, thus they remained seated until they could leave, and they notified the CMs when they pulled into the station.

ETA: You keep saying that they did 'nothing', but that's not accurate. They stayed calm, they kept themselves safe until the danger passed, and they brought attention to the cabin pulling into the station.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is like finding a pile of dog doodoo on one side of the room... and you all arguing they all stayed standing over it because they were too scared to move away from it.... all while being terrified of it.... but then were able to bust out their phone and some jokes about it.

The whole serious thing doesn't add up. What you say to a journalist after the fact is biased in all kinds of other ways.

lazyboy97o

In this case... 'the need to go looking' means.... facing the front of the vehicle. It doesn't require hunting. It's a debunked point. They didn't use it because they didn't even TRY - not because they failed to locate one. And they didn't even TRY because I propose they didn't even feel it was necessary - they were joking about it all.

Moving away is not about being sucked out... but about human balance.

These defenses are all self-defeating. They are focused on staying in... so much they can't even LOOK around?? No, they are filming and joking. They don't know the stuff was there... yet we acknowledge it's common convention everywhere and things are built so you DON'T need prior knowledge.

These excuses are crap. They didn't use the intercom simply because they never thought they needed to.
They knew they were going to a point where they could quickly egress and make contact.

Balance isn’t a concern. People don’t go flying forward out of the seats and rolling around on the floor.

lazyboy97o

This is like finding a pile of dog doodoo on one side of the room... and you all arguing they all stayed standing over it because they were too scared to move away from it.... all while being terrified of it.... but then were able to bust out their phone and some jokes about it.

The whole serious thing doesn't add up. What you say to a journalist after the fact is biased in all kinds of other ways.
Being scared does not just manifest itself as wild panic, which seems to be the only response you would accept as being indicative of fear. Even making jokes doesn’t negate fear, as humor to help cope with tense situations is hardly a rare or new concept.

SorcererMC

I don't think you understand human behavior during an unexpected stressful emergency incident. Most people DO freeze up - and that decision is made within 60 seconds of being exposed to danger/threat.
(This is why it's important to read the hotel placards for emergency exits, listen to the spiel on an airplane, etc.)

ETA: I don't mean to sound condescending; I'm just saying that their response is normal and reasonable, one that Disney's emergency management comms/ safety procedures should take into account.

Last edited:

ABQ

I don't think you understand human behavior during an unexpected stressful emergency incident. Most people DO freeze up - and that decision is made within 60 seconds of being exposed to danger/threat.
(This is why it's important to read the hotel placards for emergency exits, listen to the spiel on an airplane, etc.)
Most probably do. However, I can't say that's the case for the one who takes time to record the events on their phone. That's not freezing up.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Paraphrasing - The point being is the reason they didn't take more action wasn't because of being so focused on not falling out, or inability to find the emergency features. They just didn't care to... and as you say.. they were just documenting it and having a good laugh at the irony of the spiel, etc.

The guests didn't take it too serious... nor should they have. But its serious to the system... and why it should have been reported when it happened.
For instance, isn't it possible this failure happened to more than one door? Just because you aren't falling out right now, doesn't make it a serious failure of their system. Aware guests should have reported such a problem... but it doesn't surprise me that someone films it and lets it go for 5-7mins vs reporting it.

Either I am missing something or you are offering an opinion over paraphrasing or fact. I see a woman holding a handrail. That is not something I do when I am seated on the monorail. To me the woman captured in the video does appear to be taking the situation seriously, she isn't laughing or having fun with the situation and seems to be fixed on the open door. I differ IMO, I believe it is a situation to take seriously given the height of the monorail and speed to have an open door, IMO it is serious danger to guests and a liability to Disney. I do hope DOT sees the video and opens a case on the incident.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I don't disagree with you... the problem is in this situation when you take everything in together, not just facts in isolation... none of it adds up to where all the outcomes were the consequence of fear. Not using the intercom wasn't out of fear... Not moving away wasn't out of being frozen in fear (there are other people in the car that could have reacted and snapped them out of it too)...

If you are frozen and fearing... and the lady RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU has her phone filming it.. What do you think your attitude towards her would be? Certainly not the bored look of the lady in this video.

These people were in the right place at the right time... and filmed it. They thought 'oh that could hurt...' and knew about the prior issue before departure.. so they had a frame of reference for 'how this could be happening' and as the problem wasn't escalating.. they rode it out.

I mean... its like people forget this cabin is huge and there are plenty of OTHER PEOPLE not near this door.

lazyboy97o

I don't disagree with you... the problem is in this situation when you take everything in together, not just facts in isolation... none of it adds up to where all the outcomes were the consequence of fear. Not using the intercom wasn't out of fear... Not moving away wasn't out of being frozen in fear (there are other people in the car that could have reacted and snapped them out of it too)...

If you are frozen and fearing... and the lady RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU has her phone filming it.. What do you think your attitude towards her would be? Certainly not the bored look of the lady in this video.

These people were in the right place at the right time... and filmed it. They thought 'oh that could hurt...' and knew about the prior issue before departure.. so they had a frame of reference for 'how this could be happening' and as the problem wasn't escalating.. they rode it out.

I mean... its like people forget this cabin is huge and there are plenty of OTHER PEOPLE not near this door.
The whole situation involves a known point of contact and a known point of egress.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Either I am missing something or you are offering an opinion over paraphrasing or fact. I see a woman holding a handrail. That is not something I do when I am seated on the monorail. To me the woman captured in the video does appear to be taking the situation seriously, she isn't laughing or having fun with the situation and seems to be fixed on the open door. I differ IMO, I believe it is a situation to take seriously given the height of the monorail and speed to have an open door, IMO it is serious danger to guests and a liability to Disney. I do hope DOT sees the video and opens a case on the incident.

I think you are way late to this tangent.... and not grasping what the retorts were too.

SorcererMC

The group inaction/ collective response = bystander effect.

ABQ

The videos are from one stationary position.
True, though I, possibly wrongly, assumed that freezing implied, just that, standing, or sitting, and doing nothing, rather than composing and recording a video. Though she did commit the worst sin and film in portrait vs landscape, that could be a result of her panic and near frozen state vs her normal relaxed state.

SorcererMC

Most probably do. However, I can't say that's the case for the one who takes time to record the events on their phone. That's not freezing up.
Freezing up does not mean that an individual's thought process has stopped. It means that they aren't thinking clearly about the best course of action (eg alerting an authority) or thinking the scenario all of the way through. Posting on social media has become second nature for some people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom